View Full Version : Trying something different soon...

LittleRedNinjette
May 29th, 2015, 10:44 AM
Let me start by saying i do not believe there's anything wrong with my 300. With some luck i may be able to keep it too as i really love it.

That being said, i want to get a cruiser, so i've been test riding everything i can.

I went on a demo ride for Indian and tried the Scout. Great bike! Fun to ride, good power and adjustable seating available. Obvious to anyone who knows me i would need reduced reach. I was ok with the more forward style controls but it felt funny. And the seat was meh. My butt wasn't realy happy.

So next i tried the new Vulcan S. Another fun bike but same issues with seat and position. The good stuff was the price and it seemed more peppy than the 1133cc Scout. Tuff call but at this point i'm thinking Scout more than Vulcan...

Now i had tried the Star Bolt not to long ago. Wasn't to impressed with that one but i realy liked the peg position. Cool ass looking bike though!

So then i went to the local Harley Davidson dealer to try the Sportster Superlow 1200T. I fully expected to hate it. Boy was i surprised.. First off the position was perfect. The seat was like riding on a cloud. Powerful yet not intimidating. i loved the ride. It seemed to have all the things i liked about the before mentioned bikes with none of that bad.

So as it stands now i think i want the Sportster... I've got some input from others here i will take into account. :thumbup:

Before i take the plunge, anyone have any other suggestions for me to try? Please keep in mind my 5'1" height. :p

csmith12
May 29th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Sportsters are awesome, I used to ride one. I WILL own another when this "go really fast" phases is over.

Good luck, there are plenty of nice cruisers out there.

Klondike1020
May 29th, 2015, 12:35 PM
Before i take the plunge, anyone have any other suggestions for me to try? Please keep in mind my 5'1" height. :p

A vstar 650 is an great choice. Power points for price. rejetted with pod filters and an exhaust very exciting ride. forward controls.

The scout was a decent bike but I felt it had a lot of vibrations when you wind it out and it seemed a little gutless in stock configuration.

You should certainly try the Scout with the reduced reach kit. They offer a package with seat bars and pegs relocated for those with less reach

The sporty you took out is a blast and a top pic for women riders because of the low seat and nice reach.... only thing is the mandatory brain washing that you sign upfor with the harley name.

dcj13
May 29th, 2015, 12:38 PM
Sounds like the Sportster Superlow 1200T is the bike for you!

Post pics after you buy it.

chemist
May 29th, 2015, 12:45 PM
yeah the scout/classic and HD dynas/sportsters do seem appealing. Keep both:D

Hero Danny
May 29th, 2015, 01:06 PM
If you can afford a Harley, then go for it. They make pretty solid bikes, at least the newer ones are.

I personally like the yamaha raider and vmax.

Have you considered a sport touring bike? Like a FJ 09?

Alex
May 29th, 2015, 01:34 PM
We all get to buy whatever we like. It's cool that way. :thumbup:

The only objective knock on the 1200T superlow is that the max lean angle on either side is incredibly low (Harley's own specs have it at 25 degrees on the right, 26 degrees on the left). Run softer springs or lower it even more, and it only gets worse. None of that matters when the bike is straight up and down, but a ride on a twisty road or even an onramp at even the most moderate of paces can easily eclipse a 25 degree lean angle.

For comparison, the standard sportster has 26 right, 28 left; their new 500/750 streets are at 28.5 in either direction, and the dyna line allows 30/31 degrees on either side. A stock ninja 300 is likely closer to 45 degrees on either side before hard parts hit, though it might require removing the peg feelers.

LittleRedNinjette
May 29th, 2015, 05:00 PM
A vstar 650 is an great choice. Power points for price. rejetted with pod filters and an exhaust very exciting ride. forward controls.

The scout was a decent bike but I felt it had a lot of vibrations when you wind it out and it seemed a little gutless in stock configuration.

You should certainly try the Scout with the reduced reach kit. They offer a package with seat bars and pegs relocated for those with less reach

The sporty you took out is a blast and a top pic for women riders because of the low seat and nice reach.... only thing is the mandatory brain washing that you sign upfor with the harley name.

Forward controls + my stubby legs = no good. :( I've tried sitting on a lot of bikes with them, with no luck realy.

I hope to fine a dealer with the reduces reach kit on it. I think it would make a difference in feel.

Im staying well away from any brain washing! :thumbup:

Sounds like the Sportster Superlow 1200T is the bike for you!

Post pics after you buy it.

You know i will post pics of whatever i get. :D

yeah the scout/classic and HD dynas/sportsters do seem appealing. Keep both:D

Not likely but i'm hoping!

If you can afford a Harley, then go for it. They make pretty solid bikes, at least the newer ones are.

I personally like the yamaha raider and vmax.

Have you considered a sport touring bike? Like a FJ 09?

Let me reiterate that i'm short. I would LOVE it if i fit on one of them.:p

The only objective knock on the 1200T superlow is that the max lean angle on either side is incredibly low (Harley's own specs have it at 25 degrees on the right, 26 degrees on the left). Run softer springs or lower it even more, and it only gets worse. None of that matters when the bike is straight up and down, but a ride on a twisty road or even an onramp at even the most moderate of paces can easily eclipse a 25 degree lean angle.

For comparison, the standard sportster has 26 right, 28 left; their new 500/750 streets are at 28.5 in either direction, and the dyna line allows 30/31 degrees on either side. A stock ninja 300 is likely closer to 45 degrees on either side before hard parts hit, though it might require removing the peg feelers.

I would have to see what the lean angle on the Scout is. That felt like it went far before it would scrap.

The guy that took me on the test ride at the Harley place was on the Street. I was going to give that a go too but its too wide for me. He scraped the pipe bad turning into a parking lot after sliding on some gravel...

Alex
May 29th, 2015, 07:02 PM
I would have to see what the lean angle on the Scout is. That felt like it went far before it would scrap.

Indian reports 31 degrees of available lean angle on either side for the Scout. Not a sportbike, but reasonably capable for a cruiser-style bike.

Hero Danny
May 29th, 2015, 07:02 PM
Let me reiterate that i'm short. I would LOVE it if i fit on one of them.:p

Oh yeah... it does have a 33.3 seat height too... huh... well you could always lower it. Although i'm not sure how low you'd need it... didn't you lower your 300?

cbinker
May 29th, 2015, 07:07 PM
I have always said that if i was to get a cruiser it would be a Victory. more american made then harley, better performance, and not a harley.

LittleRedNinjette
May 29th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Indian reports 31 degrees of available lean angle on either side for the Scout. Not a sportbike, but reasonably capable for a cruiser-style bike.

That a good point to keep in mind. Not one to "drag a knee" but good to have some room to play with.

Oh yeah... it does have a 33.3 seat height too... huh... well you could always lower it. Although i'm not sure how low you'd need it... didn't you lower your 300?

Yes, my 300 is lowered 3 inches or so. More probably with the seat. We have looked into that option but I like the cruisers and I don't need to lower them. :D

I have always said that if i was to get a cruiser it would be a Victory. more american made then harley, better performance, and not a harley.

I love the Gunner! All the controls are to far foward for me on the Victorys. I'm hopeful that they'll make a more short person friendly bike in the future.

verboten1
May 29th, 2015, 09:37 PM
Go for it. I'm searching for a '09 or '10 buell ulysses right now.

Speaking of which, how has that xb12 been?

LittleRedNinjette
May 30th, 2015, 05:00 AM
The s or the r? Lol

He's very happy with them. The Firebolt is what he's been riding. The Lightning he took for a short ride but it won't be on the road until the xb9sx sells. He wants to just flip the plates.

sparky80
May 30th, 2015, 06:29 AM

Funniest thing I've read all day.... :rotflmao: They're bout as reliable as a sundial on cloudy day.

Have ya looked at the Suzuki C50 or Star 950? Those are kinda "chick" cruisers too.

Hero Danny
May 30th, 2015, 07:08 AM
Funniest thing I've read all day.... :rotflmao: They're bout as reliable as a sundial on cloudy day.

Nah man, for real. They are much more reliable now. Sure they cannot compete against a Japanese bike in terms of reliability. But they will last a long time if treated correctly. Ask CC Cowboy if you don't believe me.

LittleRedNinjette
May 30th, 2015, 07:11 AM
I'm not only looking "chick" bikes. :p

I just want something with mid controls. The Boulevards are ok. I forgot about them. Most of the Star bike I've seen had foward controls except for the Bolt.

kdogg2077
May 30th, 2015, 08:16 AM
If I was to ever get a cruiser I think Indian Scouts look really cool. Kinda heavy though.

What about a Street Triple? Not a cruiser but lots of guys tour on them with their upright ergos.

kdogg2077
May 30th, 2015, 08:21 AM
And oh yeah there is a version of the Sportster called the xj1200 that go some good reviews and is supposed to be a little sportier than the average sportster.

LittleRedNinjette
May 30th, 2015, 08:35 AM
The Scout didn't feel as heavy as it is.

I have a 27" inseam... so I don't fit on the Street Triple.

Do you mean the XL1200?

liberpolly
May 30th, 2015, 10:54 AM
Did you try to ride Sportster at any speed? My impressions were horrible. Brakes are almost non-existent, engine runs out of breath immediately after initial lurch, suspension kicks your kidneys into pulp, and rear wheel slides back and forth at any bump you won't even notice on Ninja. YMMV, of course.

If I was getting a cruiser now, I'd get Honda Shadow RS - more standard than cruiser, very relaxing, yet sporty ride. Then, there are Triumphs of all kinds...

kdogg2077
May 30th, 2015, 11:24 AM
The Scout didn't feel as heavy as it is.

I have a 27" inseam... so I don't fit on the Street Triple.

Do you mean the XL1200?

Sorry I meant xr1200. It's a racerish Harley. I guess inspired from some older models they used to make. Seat height 29 or 30 inches.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-reviews/harley-davidson-xr1200/

dcj13
May 30th, 2015, 09:55 PM
Go for it. I'm searching for a '09 or '10 buell Ulysses right now.

That's one tall-ass bike! I had trouble just getting my leg over the thing (with the seat-back folded in the up-position and a rear top-box). And I'm 6'2".

LittleRedNinjette
May 31st, 2015, 06:11 AM
Did you try to ride Sportster at any speed? My impressions were horrible. Brakes are almost non-existent, engine runs out of breath immediately after initial lurch, suspension kicks your kidneys into pulp, and rear wheel slides back and forth at any bump you won't even notice on Ninja. YMMV, of course.

If I was getting a cruiser now, I'd get Honda Shadow RS - more standard than cruiser, very relaxing, yet sporty ride. Then, there are Triumphs of all kinds...

I keep hearing this about a Sportster.. I did not have this experience. I had it out on I95 and up to speed with more to give. this was the 1200, maybe it would be different on the 883... It felt very peppy and responsive. The ride was smothe eaven over the shittyass road we went over, potholes galore, and it felt better then on my 300.

I want o say the Shadows had been a bit big but i will give them another look.

Sorry I meant xr1200. It's a racerish Harley. I guess inspired from some older models they used to make. Seat height 29 or 30 inches.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-reviews/harley-davidson-xr1200/

Ahh!! Yes, i saw the one. cool looking bike! Its just a hair to tall for me....

LittleRedNinjette
May 31st, 2015, 06:13 AM
My other halfs idea, that i realy like, is to get a Sportster and put a Buell 1200 motor in it. :D

Finesse
May 31st, 2015, 07:37 AM
I'm the biggest anti-fan of Harleys you will ever find, that being said I did ride a new-ish Sportster 1200 the other day and if you pointed a gun to my head and made me buy a Harley that's the one I'd get. The brakes suck a lot, its only strength is torque at low rpms, it's hard to turn, It's cool if you don't mind fixing oil leaks and buying a bunch of tools you didn't even know existed, or paying an arm and a leg for a Harley dealer to work on it.

Otherwise I'd give a nod to the Vstar 650. It's easy to ride, easy to work on, and has an overall pleasant handling and pretty decent power for a 650 cruiser. The 950 is SLOW AS **** and the 1100 is not really worth it power to size ratio. The 1100 you have to take the full exhaust system off to change the oil as the pipes cross over the oil filter, so it will be a 3 hour job and cost you a lot more money at a shop or a lot more time in your front yard.

Another really nice handling cruiser was the Honda Shadow Spirit 1000. It was actually great to maneuver around our tight parking lot, and I'm with you on the needing reduced reach. It's also probably one of the more reliable bikes out there and very comfortable

The Honda Shadow Aero 750 is kinda nice, it's like the Ninja 300 of cruisers, it's fuel injected and very manageable to ride with user-friendly controls and not too exaggerated of a seating/riding position.

LittleRedNinjette
May 31st, 2015, 07:43 AM
Ok, so before I make a final call I'll give another look at the shadows, the vstars and maybe the c50s.

Just want to say I really appreciate all the info so far! You all are great! :D

snot
May 31st, 2015, 08:20 AM
good luck, and I think you will enjoy whatever you get.

liberpolly
May 31st, 2015, 10:58 PM
Try Bonneville too. I just rode one, what a fun bike!

Here's comparo: http://www.cycleworld.com/2010/09/16/harley-davidson-iron-883-vs-honda-shadow-rs-vs-triumph-bonneville-comparison-test/

LittleRedNinjette
June 1st, 2015, 02:19 AM
29" seat hight is pushing it but may be ok with a bIke lIke that. But I really want a cruiser style...

Cool looking bike tho. Definitely looks like a fun bike.

dcj13
June 2nd, 2015, 09:52 PM
So then i went to the local Harley Davidson dealer to try the Sportster Superlow 1200T. I fully expected to hate it. Boy was i surprised.. First off the position was perfect. The seat was like riding on a cloud. Powerful yet not intimidating. i loved the ride. It seemed to have all the things i liked about the before mentioned bikes with none of that bad.

I hope you name it Spock.

LittleRedNinjette
June 3rd, 2015, 07:03 AM
Nah, not the same humor as if I got the Vulcan. :p

allanoue
June 3rd, 2015, 08:42 AM
When do you pull the tiger?
so to say

LittleRedNinjette
June 3rd, 2015, 08:56 AM
No rush. We're keeping the lookout for a good deal on something. Maybe not till next season. I want to take my time and find the right bike.

dcj13
June 3rd, 2015, 12:51 PM
Late September through January is a great time for outstanding bike deals.

LittleRedNinjette
June 3rd, 2015, 04:32 PM
Yup, that's when I expect to find the best deal.

cadd
June 3rd, 2015, 05:03 PM
I test rode the Bolt. My buddy has an older Iron 883. When the Bolt came out, we went to the Yamaha dealer and test rode it.

From a riding standpoint, I like the Bolt better. But the Iron 883 had more "presence" if that makes any sense. If I remember correctly, the Harley felt smaller for some reason.

LittleRedNinjette
June 4th, 2015, 05:44 AM
I think i know what you mean. :thumbup:

I think the Bolt sits a bit lower and wider, or just wider. I think the width give the impression of a bigger bike maybe...

agentbad
June 4th, 2015, 07:05 AM

nQJACVmankY

I actually see a lot of harley's at work when it's warm. I don't like big bulky cruisers but I do really like the look and size of a sportster. Then I look next to it and see the R6 and SV650S and realize I am not really the cruiser type.

adouglas
June 4th, 2015, 07:12 AM
Lurk at the motorcyclemall.com site (a little north of you in Belleville NJ) and keep checking the "non-current units" page. I got my GSX-R there for a steal and a half (zero mile 2011 leftover, $9,499 INCLUDING prep and destination... MSRP for the same bike new at the time was $12,199 not including prep/destination).

Late winter is when they start blowing old inventory out. I bought mine in March.

LittleRedNinjette
June 4th, 2015, 07:24 AM
Cool! We've been there befor. Not to far for a good deal on something. :thumbup: