View Full Version : Redline Water wetter

almost40
June 27th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Do any of you race track guys use Redline water wetter?? Whats the mixture with distilled water? Do you suggest anything else?

Alex
June 27th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I use Redline water wetter with distilled water in my trackbikes. Works great, as we really don't ever need to worry about the coolant getting below freezing in CA anyway. The other stuff that folks often use is the Maxima product, which is supposed to be very similar to the water wetter but may last a little longer without breaking down. Cooling performance is improved over a standard antifreeze mix with either of them, but you are on the hook for flushing the system at least once per year or so.

almost40
June 27th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Thanks Alex. Im not too worried about the freezing thing. I have a heated garage. Flushing it once a year is no biggie. I do that already. I was curious about the mixture rate so I know how much to buy. I know our bikes are 1.6 quarts. Will one bottle make enough to do it twice? I cant find any info on the redline sight and I know advanced is closed at 1:30 am. lol

CRXTrek
June 27th, 2009, 11:41 PM
1 bottle will do it a few times :D

one 12 oz. bottle treats up to 20qts.

almost40
June 27th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Thank you kind Sir.

CRXTrek
June 27th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Glad to help.
I've used "Redline" in my car, but for my new zx6r i'm going to use "Engine Ice".
It is antifreeze and comes premixed . Cost more,but kawi's 600 runs about 212 degrees on avg. so i'll spend it.

almost40
June 28th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Im gona go with the Engine Ice. Its a little more expensive but from what I understand it last alot longer. Thanks for your help.

ninjabrewer
June 28th, 2009, 08:00 PM
but you are on the hook for flushing the system at least once per year or so.

Understand why you can't use antifreeze on the track, but why the annual flush?

nb

Alex
June 28th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Are you taking this bike on a track? Engine Ice is glycol based, and is no more legal than the standard ethylene glycol in antifreeze. If your track / race organization allows antifreeze on the track, then no problem. But if you're replacing the coolant because they don't allow antifreeze, Engine Ice would be banned as well.

Alex
June 28th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Understand why you can't use antifreeze on the track, but why the annual flush?

Because it breaks down and gets gunky. Eventually it might get gunky enough to harm the water pump and smaller passages in the cooling system. Antifreeze will in most cases last the life of the bike, it has enough preservatives in it to keep it happy for a very long time and not let the solids drop out of solution so easily.

almost40
June 28th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Alex, Approved Poly Glycol brands are: Evans, 7th Gear, Liquid Performance, and Engine Ice. NO AUTOMOTIVE ETHYL GLYCOL BASED COOLANTS

ninjabrewer
June 28th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Because it breaks down and gets gunky. Eventually it might get gunky enough to harm the water pump and smaller passages in the cooling system. Antifreeze will in most cases last the life of the bike, it has enough preservatives in it to keep it happy for a very long time and not let the solids drop out of solution so easily.

AAHH, ok. thanks

nb

almost40
June 28th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Im not a chemist but they say poly is enviro safe and thats why its ok. Im not sure about the difference other than that.

Alex
June 28th, 2009, 08:50 PM
The track orgs could care less about the enviro safe qualities, their primary concern is how slippery will it be if it leaks on to the track, and how long will cleanup take. The glycol mixes, either ethyl or poly, are both still pretty darned slippery, and sometimes need to be actually burned off the track surface with a torch to make the asphalt ridable again in that area.

That said, some orgs have dropped the requirement to even change out the normal antifreeze, as I guess it is getting pretty uncommon to have a significant leak on to the track after most ontrack motorcycle crashes, and they want to make it easier for folks to get their streetbikes on to the track every once in awhile.

I guess the best advice is that if you're going to take a bike onto the track that has anything other than distilled water with a little water wetter or Maxima pink stuff in it, don't be *that guy* by crashing, leaking, and futzing up the track for others. :)

ROADandTRACK
June 29th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Engine Ice is a NO NO for Roadrace tracks here in TX.

For the safT of everyone on the track PLEASE only use water, or water and Water Wetter. That is the only stuff I've seen after 15 years of racin' that will dry quick and not leave hardly any slick mess.

almost40
June 29th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Well water wetter is very cost effective and its not that big of a deal to flush it once a year. Ok changed my mind again. Now its water wetter.

RaceBikeRentals
July 1st, 2009, 01:10 PM
I use Water Wetter in all my bikes but I have no idea if it actually does anything or not. Never have compared operating temps to just plain water, so who knows.

HKr1
July 1st, 2009, 01:50 PM
I use Water Wetter in all my bikes but I have no idea if it actually does anything or not. Never have compared operating temps to just plain water, so who knows.

Water wetter does really work! Have tried water, straight coolant, then both with water wetter. It sure lowered the temps.

On the R1, it would run at 163 with the stock coolant. The only way I could see that temp again after changing it out. Was to use WW :rolleyes:

kkim
July 1st, 2009, 01:55 PM
Water wetter does really work! Have tried water, straight coolant, then both with water wetter. It sure lowered the temps.

by straight coolant, I'm sure you mean coolant mixed with water?

Alex
July 1st, 2009, 02:15 PM
It's interesting how water wetter actually works. It doesn't make the water able to hold any more heat. All it does is lower the surface tension of the water the slightest bit, which means that heat transfers just a little bit better to the liquid running through the cooling system. That slight difference turns out to make a very noticeable difference in the effectiveness of the cooling system, and it only takes a few capfuls of the stuff. Science is neat. :)

paterick4o8
July 1st, 2009, 03:03 PM
I'm seriously thinking of changing to WW or just distilled water since it's getting hot now and the fan goes off more than usual.

On a similar subject, has anyone actually done a coolant flush on the new gen yet? Didn't see a DIY on the site, but checked the Manual, looks like a decent number of steps involved.

TreyE
October 14th, 2009, 11:02 AM
sorry to bring up an old thread just wanted to dig it up cause I started using it and it keeps my bike a lot cooler than before. Usually about a 1/7 on the needle cooler than ever before. goood product

miztyzo562
October 14th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Anyone ever used Royal Purlple's "Purple Ice"?

paterick4o8
October 14th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I changed mine about 1 month ago.
don't have a gauge but I'm sure it's helped
fan hasn't gone on as much since

ROADandTRACK
October 15th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Alex, Approved Poly Glycol brands are: Evans, 7th Gear, Liquid Performance, and Engine Ice. NO AUTOMOTIVE ETHYL GLYCOL BASED COOLANTS

This is silly, Engine Ice is slick as hell.

Somebody needs to rewrite your rulebook.

Oh yea, What I do is mix 10-12 Water Wetter capfulls into a gallon of distilled water. Use what I need and save the rest. Usually you will change the coolant more than once a year due to a crash or maintenance.

Nemesis
October 15th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Water Wetter here!

knivee14
March 27th, 2017, 10:58 AM
Can someone post a picture so I know exactly waht to buy? Please

taz
March 27th, 2017, 11:17 AM
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/images/L/1699.JPG

taz
March 27th, 2017, 11:20 AM
http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/wp-content/uploads/Purple_Ice_0902141.png
http://purple-ice.com/images-pi/faq-chart2.png
Here is some other brands also that make the stuff

csmith12
March 27th, 2017, 11:37 AM
As a person who has worked track day bike tech for a few years now, just run water wetter and be done. Bluntly.... if you can't take 10m to swap coolant for the track day, then you need to refocus on what you are willing to do to have a safe, enjoyable day. Why? Because there is soooooo much more other than this that takes much more time.

Edit: I don't mean to sound harsh or anything, but save yourself some time and headache. Get some help changing the coolant if you need. Just have it done ahead of time. Changing coolant in the paddock sucks, ijs....