View Full Version : My first group ride this morning.. Jones Beach / Ocean Parkway

Grn99Kawi
June 28th, 2009, 02:32 PM
So I met up with some other riders for my first group ride.. was great..

It was me (Ninja 250), a Suzuki Intruder 800, a Yamaha 1000 Fazer (wow) and we annexed a guy with a Yamaha CBR F4i while getting coffee. We went to Jones Beach, drove Ocean Parkway all the way out to OBI (if you are from LI you would know where that is). great ride... Ocean Parkway is like 8 miles dead straight, but state troopers are all over just waiting to pull you over (and they were). We didn't go that fast.. I hit 75 a few times.. the 250 does a good job keeping up with everyone from a dig.. and as long as you are in the right gear acceleration is great. Before this, my riding experience has all been stop and go 0-60-0 commuting to work.. I went on the parkway once for one exit just to see how it was... lol..

The wind on some of the small bridges to the beach really feels like it will blow you around, plus I have to work on my higher speed turns.. I wasn't 'bad' but for all of the time that I am riding, that is the only time that I feel a bit 'worried'. I was telling myself to look through the turn and not at it, and that helped.. but I definately need to work on it more.. but it will come as this was the first time at that speed.

We pulled over once and a bunch of Harleys went by.. I had to look at teh tach while I blipped the throttle just to see if the bike was still running.. lol

That place is FULL of bikes.. I have been there with my Mustang, but never with a bike.

Riding in a group is way different than riding alone.

Adam

BlueRaven
June 28th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I rode in my first group ride yesterday at Atlanticade. I have to agree that riding in a group is way different than riding alone. I love being involved in a group when everyone knows the rules but do prefer riding alone. Riding next in line to a newbie made me nervous but once i observed how she rode i felt more comfortable. I am a newbie myself but am very comfortable with my 250.

CC Cowboy
June 28th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Adam, ride the north shore instead of the south shore. There is less traffic, more curves, and you will have a smile all day.

Strider
June 28th, 2009, 04:30 PM
:thumbup: on your 1st group ride, Sounds like you had a blast!

Grn99Kawi
July 5th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Hey CC.. today we did the north shore.. you are right.. you dont go as fast but the curves and hills are a lot of fun.. we went out to Fort Salonga and rode 25a back to Nassau County..

good stuff.

CC Cowboy
July 13th, 2009, 05:05 PM
When I was a kid most of Nassau County was country roads. There used to be a great race track out on the Hamptons called Bridgehampton. Motorcycles rode clock wise, sports cars counterclock wise. There was a half mile straighaway that had a left kink then down hill. If you had the balls to hold it full on to the bridge (at the end of the straight), you had the ultimate rush going down that hill. It was like flying (super scarey but worth it).

I lived in Hicksville (when it was all potato farms) and my dad would take me up around Oyster Bay and let me ride. I was just a little under age, with no license, but back then things were more laid back.

CC Cowboy
July 14th, 2009, 07:16 AM
When you guys get bored, take the ferry over to CT and ride some of the hilly roads just a few miles inland. Once you get north of the Merritt Parkway it is beautiful. You can do it all in a day and have a blast.

BlueTyke
July 14th, 2009, 07:31 AM
:worthlesswithoutpic:

Glad you had a good time! :D

CC Cowboy
July 14th, 2009, 01:18 PM
If you kiddies want to go on an adventure ride, ride up to Main Street in Port Washington and check out Ghost Motorcycles. My dad took me there back in the 60's. There is a lot of history there. There has been around for a bazillon years. He has tons of old bikes.

g21-30
July 14th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Motorcycles rode clock wise, sports cars counterclock wise.

Bet that was hell on the motorcycles, when the sports cars ran into them! :rotflmao:

cifex
August 5th, 2009, 07:35 AM
GRN99KAWI - I am pretty sure I've seen you before. I was waiting in line to turn left at the bethpage parkway exit off 135 South and a bike exactly like your passed me.

cifex
August 5th, 2009, 07:39 AM
North shore riding is definitely much better. Ashoroken is a great ride. Loyd Neck is fantastic. Out in King Park, Sunken Meadow Rd and Middleville Rd. My favorite is riding all the small backroads in the hamptons. Near Major's Path.

DarkNinja52
August 5th, 2009, 11:05 AM
oh man, LI representing in here.. I just got my bike last week still learning a ton of things but as soon as i get everything figured out, someones gota let me know about the next group ride on LI. I'm everywhere from Massapequa in Nassau (home) to Centereach/Stony Brook in Suffolk (School)

sounds like it was awesome.

cifex
August 5th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Right in Copiague dood

P1NDLESK1N
August 6th, 2009, 06:32 AM
I wouldn't mind hitting some nice north shore roads sometime.

cifex
August 6th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Next time I'm going on the weekend I'll post up a thread and PM the locals.

Grn99Kawi
August 6th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Cool... let's get something going!

Cali619
August 6th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Glad you liked your first group ride, you get to learn the different signals used to communicate, and get a feel for riding in formation. Did anyone show you the hand signal for "Hey I got to take a piss?"

DarkNinja52
August 6th, 2009, 08:30 AM
i want to learn hand signals!!!

i'm not a big fan of the wave that sport bike riders use.. the straight low wave... its like they dont want anyone to see them doing it
but im sure hand sigals are more interesting than a wave

cifex
August 7th, 2009, 06:53 AM
i want to learn hand signals!!!

i'm not a big fan of the wave that sport bike riders use.. the straight low wave... its like they dont want anyone to see them doing it
but im sure hand sigals are more interesting than a wave

That's because it is super secret! You'll see a few cagers trying to get in on the action as well. However, I usually don't notice in time to wave back, as I'm not expecting it.

cifex
August 7th, 2009, 07:14 AM
DarkNinja: Hand Signals here:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24748

DarkNinja52
August 7th, 2009, 07:16 AM
freaking awesome, everytime i think this place as a ton of stuff, i always find more! and theres an arcade with some nifty mini games also!!!