View Full Version : liquid/vapor seperator question

greenmonster
June 29th, 2009, 06:30 PM
hello i have a 02 ninja 250 and it doesn't have a liquid/vapor seperator, is that ok or dangerous without one?
What does it actully do? i tried to find out but i don't really know what it does.

So on the tank their's three tubes, i'm only using two of the times but not the third one, which connects to the liquid/vapor thing, i brought the bike like that, then i compared to my friends bike and it was missing that piece. It runs fine, but will i eventually need to get one? Thanks.

kkim
June 29th, 2009, 06:48 PM
pics or link reference to what you are asking about?

Verus Cidere
June 29th, 2009, 08:46 PM
You're in Cali. Is that one of those obsessive emissions things?

JCCJMM_
June 29th, 2009, 08:52 PM
If it is anything like a vapor cannister in a car, it pulls gas vapors from the tank....filters the water out....and purges vapor fuel back into the intake manifold.

I had one on my 1989 Mustang GT. Took it off and noticed absolutely zero performance issues. I believe it is just an EPA thing.....I am not sure of its necessity.

greenmonster
June 30th, 2009, 09:32 AM
looks like i'm missing #4/#5

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x44/Grantomas1/GPz550Gasdiagram-1.jpg

looks like i'm missing #4/#5

Verus Cidere
June 30th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I knew it! Crazy emissions crap! Boo on California! :p

kkim
June 30th, 2009, 02:56 PM
PM Vex. He has removed those emissions control pieces and can tell you how to route which hoses where and to put a one way filter on one of those vent lines as a precaution.

you can run w/o them, but if Cali ever starts emissions control testing, you will need to put them back on. I wouldn't expect that to happen, though.... but you never know.

greenmonster
July 2nd, 2009, 09:27 AM
ok, if only the emission then i'll just leave it alone. It runs fine with out it, plus i have muzzy so it seems to be a lil faster then my friends bike w/o the emission stuff.