View Full Version : Helmet fitting

Neema12
July 1st, 2009, 04:56 PM
Hello everyone, so I purchased most of my gear the past 2 weeks. I am still waiting for my summer school to end in 2 weeks so I can dedicate my free time to working on my Ninja (not running healthy) and get my licence (msf).

However, until then, I need help with my help. Basically, I went to a local shop and tried on several helmets and had a good understanding of the proper sizing. Between a S and M depending on the model and padding. In the lesser expensive models I was closer to a Small compared with models that had tons of padding I was more a medium.

So my issue is the following... I purchased a Scorpion EXO-700 from newenough for a super good price ($120 to my door) and think the small size helmet may be too small :(

Here are some notes about the helmet fitting:
- I have no issue putting it on my head, however, it fits super snug and allows for no wiggle room or play.
- I cannot fit fingers between my cheeks and have little to no gaps anywhere.
- My lips to not touch anything even when pointed outward as if I were to whistle, which I imagine is good.
- My ears are pressed againts my head so much so that when I take the helmet off they are bright red, not really an issue but just a note.
- I struggle to take the helmet off during the point of it releasing near the top of my head. I need to tilt my head sideways to slide it through and that seems a bit odd when I see so may others just slide their helmet off their head.

Keep in mind the helmet is brand new, so I imagine some breaking in is necessary. I wore the helmet around the house for 20 minutes and did not get a migraine or headache which is also a good sign.

Now here is the change in the story. I have the opportunity to buy a used size medium Shoei Rf-1000 with mirror shield for $120, its in good condition minus basic scratches. I have no attachment to the Scorpion and don't mind returning it and loosing the shipping costs (~$25 both ways) but want to buy the right helmet that will fit for at least 1 year. The shoei fits looser than the exo-700 but still has enough padding to make up the difference, just not as TIGHT fitting as the exo-700. Buying extra padding to make the exo-700 fit is not an option. I would rather buy the helmet that fits from the beginning.

Pictures of both ACTUAL helmets can be seen below.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated :thumbup:

http://newenough.com/image/path/7974/07Exo700RivetYlw.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/3n33o13leZZZZZZZZZ96ue5f1ac10b4d514ea.jpg

CC Cowboy
July 1st, 2009, 05:15 PM
How old is the Shoei? Helmets are only good for a few years.

AnarchoMoltov
July 1st, 2009, 05:20 PM
go to your local bike shop that sells helmets and try them on, most helmets have pretty much the same sizes, u want a helmet that fits snug, otherwise itz gonna be bouncin around on your head a high speeds and on rough terrain..u could probably buy different padding for the exo 700 that may make the helmet fit better, or if a medium fits you perfect go for the medium.

noche_caliente
July 1st, 2009, 05:58 PM
I would stay with the scorpion... as you wear it for a bit, the interior padding such as the cheek pads will get broken in and be a better fit for you. You might also check to see if you can get replacement cheek pads that are a little smaller.... it's better to be too snug getting it on and off than too loose and not fitting well

Nemy
July 1st, 2009, 06:27 PM
I would stay with the scorpion... as you wear it for a bit, the interior padding such as the cheek pads will get broken in and be a better fit for you. You might also check to see if you can get replacement cheek pads that are a little smaller.... it's better to be too snug getting it on and off than too loose and not fitting well

+1. Unless it's too small that you need a lot of force to even get it over your head, the pads will break in. The scorpion one's break in quite a bit too as eventually I thought I even might need a smaller helmet.

CANTFUNCTION
July 1st, 2009, 06:38 PM

:whathesaid:

I wouldn't buy the used helmet.

kkim
July 1st, 2009, 07:09 PM
http://www.newenough.com/helmets_eyewear/replacement_cheek_pads_liners_crown_pads/scorpion/cheek_pads_for_exo_700_motorcycle_helmets.html

CANTFUNCTION
July 1st, 2009, 07:13 PM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23440

Almost free

Neema12
July 1st, 2009, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I forgot to mention a very important point. Currently, the helmet has a snug fit around the cheeks and causes me to kinda bite down/teeth rub the sidewalls of my inner cheeks. Naturally, my mouth is closed when I am relaxed or not talking, but the padding in the helmet kinda squeezes my cheeks and causes my mouth to open.

I am curious if the helmet padding has some room to get loose and break in as I wear it more. Its brand new and has been wore around the house for maybe 30 minutes. Do y'all think after riding a few times it will loosen?

Thanks again ;)

kkim
July 1st, 2009, 08:37 PM
did you look at the link I posted?

muffinman
July 1st, 2009, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I forgot to mention a very important point. Currently, the helmet has a snug fit around the cheeks and causes me to kinda bite down/teeth rub the sidewalls of my inner cheeks. Naturally, my mouth is closed when I am relaxed or not talking, but the padding in the helmet kinda squeezes my cheeks and causes my mouth to open.

I am curious if the helmet padding has some room to get loose and break in as I wear it more. Its brand new and has been wore around the house for maybe 30 minutes. Do y'all think after riding a few times it will loosen?

Thanks again ;)

My Shark helmet did that as well when I first bought it. It still does that to some degree but the fit has MUCH improved since Day 1. I'd rather have a helmet be *slightly* too tight than a little too loose.

Also, ensure that the fit is snug around the dome of your head / forehead - cheeckpads can be replaced.

Cedilla
July 1st, 2009, 09:04 PM
I have a Scorpion exo400, I know its not the exact same helmet, but my experience with it was just like yours. When I first got it, it was very tight, to the point that I would be chewing on my cheeks if I tried to talk with it on. It took about a week or so to break in, and it got a whole lot looser. Id say stick with the scorpion, it will break in fine and its a great helmet, and do you really want to stick your head in somebody else's sweaty bucket?:p

Also I don't think you should have wiggle room or play in your helmet, at high speeds a loose helmet feels weird and uncomfortable.

Neema12
July 1st, 2009, 09:07 PM
kkim... I did but stated in the first post I didn't want to change the cheek pads because I would rather just buy a helmet that fits from the start. However, I think I will wait until I get my bike running and after a few rides if the helmet is not feeling better I will buy pads. I hope this works :confused:

kkim
July 1st, 2009, 09:12 PM
cool... I just wanted you to know that there are ways to improve the fit on the Scorpion helmets.

gl w/ the bike.

addy126
July 1st, 2009, 09:55 PM
Also note... the used helmet has already been broken in to another person's "noggin".. plus the hygiene alone should be an issue. I've got the Scorp Exo 700 Chameleon White just recently and its breaking in nicely (small) inside a couple of weeks sweating and working the helmet on and off. Again, I bought the medium sized internal components for 30.00 for my Fury model.. after a week went right back to the small internal components. To much wind buffeting as the medium started to break in. I vote.. keep the Scorpion.. its a great helmet.:thumbup: You're payin for the "name" on the Shoei anyway used or not.

Chamus57
July 1st, 2009, 10:18 PM
I still have yet to get one that fits perfect. I am riding with a 50 dollar one that fits so so and know it won't really do me any good. I ordered a Shoei and they sent me the wrong color 3 times and had to ship it back. Three strikes your out for me. I am still waiting on the refund. It fit perfect for me but was a bit tight. I figured it would break in. So now i am looking at Icon that i know will fit my crown but will need to order smaller cheek pads to get just right. Finding a helemt that fits perfect has been a daunting task to say the least. There are not many shops that carry ones in my size near me. I am hoping to find it soon though. The Icon i am looking at (Subhuman) is old so Hard to find in my size. I am at the point where if it fits my crown and i can buy pads to custom fit i will be happy. Forget graphics.

kkim
July 1st, 2009, 10:23 PM
Lee...

(broken record) have you tried newenough.com for your helmet?

Chamus57
July 1st, 2009, 10:26 PM
I look at the sight almost everyday. I have a small head. I get it but i'm still looking. My last comment at a shop i tried them on at was "come on Don't people in Japan have small heads like me". And yes i know that is politically incorrect. But i just want a helemt i trust and that fits. Sorry

Nemy
July 1st, 2009, 10:46 PM
I still have yet to get one that fits perfect. I am riding with a 50 dollar one that fits so so and know it won't really do me any good. I ordered a Shoei and they sent me the wrong color 3 times and had to ship it back. Three strikes your out for me. I am still waiting on the refund. It fit perfect for me but was a bit tight. I figured it would break in. So now i am looking at Icon that i know will fit my crown but will need to order smaller cheek pads to get just right. Finding a helemt that fits perfect has been a daunting task to say the least. There are not many shops that carry ones in my size near me. I am hoping to find it soon though. The Icon i am looking at (Subhuman) is old so Hard to find in my size. I am at the point where if it fits my crown and i can buy pads to custom fit i will be happy. Forget graphics.

wow you went from a 50 dollar helmet to a shoei then to an icon?! I would say stick with the shoei's if they fit you well. IMHO they're much better than icon and probably much lighter as well. Plus I tried one on and, as I've read elsewhere, it felt like I was being craddled between double-Ds :D! Only reason I went shark was for the fog-free.

Sound Wave
July 1st, 2009, 10:51 PM
When I first got it, it was very tight, to the point that I would be chewing on my cheeks if I tried to talk with it on.

lol. that is how my shoei x-11 was too. feels fine now since it broke in.

neema. as far as not wanting to buy different pads to make the helmet fit better.... sometimes you have to if you want the best fit.

not everyone's head will fit perfectly into a helmet as it comes out of the box. for me, i had to get thinner cheek pads (yeah i guess i have chubby cheeks). of course, if you can find a helmet that fits perfectly, then great. just don't rule out fine tuning the fit with different sized pads. my 2 cents.

Chamus57
July 1st, 2009, 10:51 PM
still have not decided. The fit and what it's made of is most important to me at this point. But you are right i want the Shoei it's just they sent the wrong one three times, kinda puts you off. Plus it was a great buy that i can't find now.

SteveL
July 1st, 2009, 11:46 PM
“My ears are pressed againts my head so much so that when I take the helmet off they are bright red, not really an issue but just a note”.

I would say the Scorpion is too small for you; it should not be pushing so hard on the ears or on the cheeks. A helmet should have some movement even from new. I spent a few hours with my son finding him a helmet that fitted as it should, he tried on at least a dozen before he found one that was right and he knew immediately that was the one.
So go to your dealer and try every one he has you will know when you have the right one.

Steve

Neema12
July 3rd, 2009, 02:20 PM
So I went to a local store today known for their customer service and spoke to a few people to get more opinions. I ended up trying on cheek padding that had less padding 25mm vs 30mm and it made a world of difference :) Thanks for the suggestion kkim and everyone else! The helmet fits MUCH better and feels perfect compared to before. I also bought a tinted shield to celebrate!

I would highly suggest others to consider trying on other cheek pads if they had the same issue as me.