View Full Version : First impressions Woodcraft clip-ons & rearsets

almost40
July 1st, 2009, 06:34 PM
I just finished my illegal first ride with my clip-ons and rearsets.(Illegal because my bike is stripped for the track) Ill start by saying, WOW what a difference. The clip-ons move the bars down and forward about an inch and a half each way. That combined with the rearsets, back 2 inches and up one. Make for a much more sporty position. I suspect if your a tall guy with long arms and legs you wont notice much of a difference.(tall guys tell me what you think) You will most likely not like the rearsets as it brings your knees up a bit. (Im short, 5' 7") I noticed the longer reach to the bars right away. That combined with the new foot peg position puts you up over the tank and in a much more race bike position. I liken it to my old ZX-6. Sporty, yet still comforable. Streched, but not too streched. I rode a few off-ramps and a twisty section near my home, and the new position allows me to get alot farther off the bike than before. I feel its eaiser to "attack" the corner in my newfound position. The woodcraft combo seems ideal for track use but not so ideal for those seeking everyday comfort. If you think the 250 sits too upright and doesnt have a sporty enough position then spend the $375 at Richards racebikerentals.com store and get yourself these 2 add ons. Theres a good DYI for the clip-ons (by Kkim the DYI master) and the rearsets are easy enough.
I no longer have a tail light, but Ive read here somewhere, that its not required to buy the rear tail light kit because you can just rebend the original spring to fit. Im sure this is true because I rebent mine and i can see it moves the switch. (Dont ask why I didnt just take all that off.) I only encountered 2 minor issues with these kits. 1) The rearset on my brake side didnt leave all that much clearance for the parts attached to clear the swingarm. Its the bolt that holds the brake lever on, (it was touching it barley) and the brake reservoir itself. ( it looked like it might hit if the rear suspension was compressed.) I put a 5/16 washer behind the rearset on each bolt to fix it. 2) I get a slight rub on the inside of the cowl plastic at full lock with the clip-ons (the clamp for the clip-on attached to the fork is what rubs.) I know this rub is because i have the clip-ons pushed down the fork about an inch. Its nothing serious just a wee bit of a rub that I can live with. Ill reserve final judgement on these 2 add ons until after my next Track day. If todays brief ride was any indication of things to come. I know Im gona love em.
For the record I did a vibration test. I rode to 80mph and coasted all the way down to 30mph. No handed and didnt see any vibration at all. I did NOT attach the original weights to the clip ons. They are, as they were shipped to me.

smcbride11
July 2nd, 2009, 07:29 AM
The rearset on my brake side didnt leave all that much clearance for the parts attached to clear the swingarm. Its the bolt that holds the brake lever on, (it was touching it barley) and the brake reservoir itself. ( it looked like it might hit if the rear suspension was compressed.) I put a 5/16 washer behind the rearset on each bolt to fix it.

I did the same thing - added a washer and slightly adjusted the positioning as I tightened down all the bolts and everything seems to be okay.

I also bought the rear brake light attachment but haven't bothered yet because I don't want to bleed my brakes - might not technically be street legal, but the front brake's for slowing down. I just ziptied the stock connector to the frame so it didn't drop onto the tire when leaning left.

EDIT: I seem to remember Broom letting Eric at Woodcraft know about the slight rub on the swingarm, but I don't know if anything came of it. Doesn't strike me as a big deal, though - after being on for 6 months I haven't seen any wear or anything - while it might make contact, it doesn't appear to be causing any damage.

ROADandTRACK
July 2nd, 2009, 10:53 AM
I love everything Woodcraft, but the new 250 clipons aren't able to be brought back far enough. They stick out too far IMHO. After putting wheel weights on the triple clamp stops, I like to bring the bars in like on a 125. Gives better top speed and these things are light so you don't need the leverage like on an old SBK. I can live w/ it, but.............

ztrack157
July 2nd, 2009, 07:44 PM
^agreed. I was getting bashed for bashing them and saying they were a poor design (people said there was no flaw and no pinching going on). Yet I had tons of people requesting that I make a fairing to accomodate them. I think wood craft should fix their design by adding a bend to the bar then everyone can be happy.

almost40
July 2nd, 2009, 08:09 PM
Dont forget the slight bend to the brake side rearset. Or they should ship the 2 required washers. Luckily I had them laying around. It sucks to have to stop working on your bike and have to run to the hardware store.

ztrack157
July 2nd, 2009, 10:20 PM
Ya I heard about that one too. They're a great company but theres just minor details they miss, it doesn't affect the product really but drives some of us up the wall. IE driving 10 miles to get 15 cents worth of washers.

RaceBikeRentals
July 3rd, 2009, 11:17 AM
I feel its eaiser to "attack" the corner in my newfound position.

My experience EXACTLY! I can't believe how much more forward and lower I am when leaning over in the corners. I finally feel like I'm "IN" the bike and not on top of it. Feels great!

Captain Insaneo
July 14th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I'm about 5'9" and i'm going to be purchasing the clip on's, is it necessary to do the rearset at the same time, or would i be okay with just the new bars?

I really don't need the foot pegs moved much, i just want my bars lower.

almost40
July 14th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Most of us do the rearsets because we ride on the track. The rearsets raise the pegs so they dont drag anymore. You can do the clip-ons all by themself. It will put you in a more sporty position. No doubt.

Captain Insaneo
July 14th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Yeah i don't plan on bringing the bike to the track ever, just do street riding... and i really don't get low enough to drag my pegs, at least i don't think so..

Definitely wanna get the clip on's though because i wanna be a little more hunched over the tank.

Any input on how easy the bars are to install?

almost40
July 14th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Kkim did a DYI on it. Its not that tough. Adjusting everything just right so theres no rubbing takes longer than the install.

kkim
July 14th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Any input on how easy the bars are to install?

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5586

NJD022588
July 15th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I no longer have a tail light, but Ive read here somewhere, that its not required to buy the rear tail light kit because you can just rebend the original spring to fit. Im sure this is true because I rebent mine and i can see it moves the switch.

True. I'm not sure what the rear tail light kit on these rearsets includes, but I just rebent the spring and the tail light works just fine.

Now, i just have to get around to installing the clipons.