View Full Version : Rain Ride

patw
July 1st, 2009, 07:21 PM
I've had about three days of getting caught in the rain while riding. It's been a great learning experience and I managed to get some great footage :)

jdLg-eIzP_c

OldGuy
July 1st, 2009, 07:26 PM
That could get old and wet real fast. Like the way you gave yourself more distance from the car when it started to rain. Roads with tire groves really suck; you either risk hydroplaning or you ride the center with the oil and water mix (unless you've been having a lot of rain).

Thanks for sharing.

patw
July 1st, 2009, 08:00 PM
I try to give a ton of room for other vehicles when I don't trust the road conditions. The first 20s of the video are taken on Highway 400, and we're all moving at around 120km/hr. The video doesn't show it well (or at all maybe), but there's a wall of rain in a thin band, exactly between 2 on/off ramps. The car in front of me brakes hard as they hit it, so I had to do the same.

The rain is not terrible, just irritating after a while.

SteveL
July 1st, 2009, 11:58 PM
Nice video
Rain
I have ridden home every night this week in a thunder storm put the wet weather gear on before you start, leave plenty of space and watch out for oil slicks. A Diesel spill will really spoil your day.

Steve

rogue.guineapig
July 2nd, 2009, 11:53 PM
I LOVE the vid quality...what are you shooting with?

patw
July 3rd, 2009, 03:59 AM
I LOVE the vid quality...what are you shooting with?

The camera is a first gen Flip Video, it does native 640x480, 24fps direct to DivX AVI format. The downside is, it only has 1 hour of recording capability and is not expandable. The new Flip Video devices do HD recording and are expandable, but they retain that oddball shape so they're a bit difficult to mount. I use velcro on the gauge cluster to do it.