View Full Version : Bought gear today

Focus Mike
July 1st, 2009, 08:56 PM
Well guys I went shopping today. I would like to update this thread.

I actually was going to buy a Scorpion EXO-700 however the salesman spoke to me about the Icon Airframe

Not my pictures because all my gear is at Iwona's house.

The helmet is light and it doesn't fold my ears down like the Scorpion did, but I could shim it on my head so the Scorpion EXO-700 would not do it. The Icon was more fitted to my head if that's the right way to put it.

Complaints about the Airframe is the FOG FREE is so-so compaired to the Scorpion. It really isn't that bad though. It comes with an chin skirt which is a nice plus. I also think the Icon looks nicer and it is SNELL approved.

http://www.motonekoparts.com/files/detailed/d_4576.png
http://www.revzilla.com/product_images/001..._White_zoom.jpg (http://www.revzilla.com/product_images/0010/2948/Icon_Airframe_Helmet_Gloss_White_zoom.jpg)
I also upgraded to a mirror finish face shield with a light tint. I have a question about that later.

The Scorpion is much easier to change out the shields, the Icon is slightly more tricky due to the solid painted cover piece. I could take it off and it would be easier but the Scorpion is easier anyways to switch shields.

Another perk to having the Icon is I can crack it open a bit to get some air in if I need it, however the Icon is supposed to flow much better.

I am glad I got the icon. I will post real pictures later. Internet pictures don't do justice.

Next on the list of goodies. BTW I spent more than I wanted to on all the gear, but that's how it goes sometimes... -_-

Alpinestars SP2 in blue
http://www.revzilla.com/product_images/001...s_Blue_zoom.jpg (http://www.revzilla.com/product_images/0010/9227/Alpinestars_SP-2_Gloves_Blue_zoom.jpg)
The gloves fit well. I like the carbon fiber knuckle protectors. The guys says if I hit the highway w/o gloves if a rock hits my hand its going to hurt like a sumbitch. This glove is a "FULL GAUNTLET" I guess, and I can tuck my Joe Rocket coat (PREVIOUSLY HAD FROM SCOOTER) into the gauntlet section. It offers more protection that way.

Next on the list

Sidi Street Burners

AMAZING SHOES! That's all that needs to be said about them.
http://hellforleathermagazine.com/Streetburner.JPG
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/image...ERTIGO-SOLE.jpg (http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/images/InitialSet/SIDI_VERTIGO-SOLE.jpg)

Last on the list
ProGrip Tank Protector
http://www.gpmotoparts.com/image.php?type=P&id=1883

I don't know if its the exact model but that's exactly what it looks like.

My question is simply... Will I get in trouble with the law if they see me with a mirror visor at night? If so is it a big chance like do cops target bikers with mirrored finished face shields?

Thanks again guys, I think I bought some good quality stuff.

Oh and as far as bikes go. The guy at chicago cycle center is a dick. I don't like him. He keeps trying to sell me damaged bikes. Its also ironic how NOW I'm approved for the Ducati....

Yeah they can sit on there thumb and spin.

I've decided to buy a 2009 Ninja 250R in blue. I should get approved for it tomorrow when I go to order it and if that's the case I will have it for the weekend.

http://www.indiaon2wheels.com/pics/kawasaki-ninja-250r.jpg

The bike fits me very well also, and is a bunch cheaper. People talk a whole bunch of **** about 250cc's, whatever. I never complained about the scooter as far as speed so this will be a serious upgrade.

I want to be able to go on the highway

NINJA CHECK

I want to be able to shift gears

NINJA CHECK

I want good gas mileage like my scooter gave me

NINJA CHECK

I want it to fit me well and look good

NINJA CHECK

The Ninja takes care of all my needs. If in the future I feel the need to upgrade which I may not, because the little Ninja rolls out pretty good I could always get the Ducati Monster, which is the only other bike that fit me great.

The Suzuki SV650 is no longer in production otherwise it would be between those two.

Thanks guys, Hopefully tomorrow I post a new thread about my new bike.

Keep your finger crossed for me! Also let me know what you think about my shopping choices.

Neema12
July 1st, 2009, 09:01 PM
Great choice on gear. Keep us updated with how your gear feels after you put some miles on your bike. As far as the visor, I would personally suggest you switch out your clear visor and mirror visor when you ride after sunset. I tried on a few visors and it felt kinda unsafe to have a tinted visor at night, idk, my opinion... Good luck and safe riding.

muffinman
July 1st, 2009, 09:01 PM
Congrats man - that's some good, quality gear you bought.

Erm.. I would not recommend wearing your Mirrored visors at night... I had Clear, Light Smoke, and Chrome Mirrored for my Shark RSR2 and the mirrored one was, by far, the worst visor in regards to nighttime visiblity.

Oh, and POST SOME MORE DETAILED impressions on the Sidi's please =) I've been thinking about picking those up for the longest time (low-cut boots with top-notch protection, including full ankle support) Pics would be awesome too

Again, congrats and welcome.

Focus Mike
July 1st, 2009, 09:05 PM
The Sidi S.B boots feel like shoes almost. They are very comfy and easy to operate. I can't say how they perform because I haven't ridden with them, but they feel like high quality boots that will last a very long time. They even have extra padding on the top of the shoe where you change gears so you don't ruin the boots/shoes. Go try a pair on. The guy said these are better than the alpinestar boots.

almost40
July 1st, 2009, 10:18 PM
Might wana try an amber visor. Cuts out enough sun in the day that you dont need shades, and works great at night. FYI the 250 will do fine on 94, 80 or the Skyway. Just dont lane hop 2 much and dont be scared of running in the 80's. It wont hurt the bike. I would swap the rear sprocket for a 43T or even a 41T as it will make that 80+mph crusing speed a little less hectic on the motor.

komohana
July 1st, 2009, 10:31 PM
good gear choices there mike, and like others have mentioned, i'd suggest you NOT wear your dark visor at night. you'll want to see all you can after dark. if you're worried about having to swap visors, especially if you're out on the road and don't wanna tote the clear visor around, do what i do and get yourself a good pair of clear riding glasses so all ya gotta do is flip your dark shield up and there ya go. get something that'll keep the wind outta your eyes. when i do carry around another visor, its an amber one, which i've found to cut down glare more than the clear ones, and still lets me see far enough ahead at speed.
good luck and congrats again on some good gear choices

richierich781
July 1st, 2009, 10:41 PM
good gear choices there mike, and like others have mentioned, i'd suggest you NOT wear your dark visor at night. you'll want to see all you can after dark. if you're worried about having to swap visors, especially if you're out on the road and don't wanna tote the clear visor around, do what i do and get yourself a good pair of clear riding glasses so all ya gotta do is flip your dark shield up and there ya go. get something that'll keep the wind outta your eyes. when i do carry around another visor, its an amber one, which i've found to cut down glare more than the clear ones, and still lets me see far enough ahead at speed.
good luck and congrats again on some good gear choices

:whathesaid:

beat me too it. i tried carrying around a clear visor with me at some point but it got too much of a hassle of changing out visors all the time. now i just carry a pair of wiley-x glasses (compliments of the u.s. army) with clear lenses for night riding.:thumbup:

Nickds7
July 1st, 2009, 11:22 PM
Good choices, where are your pants? If you plan on doing any spirited riding you should be wearing some riding pants. Many will suggest you wear riding pants for every ride as well.

Focus Mike
July 2nd, 2009, 05:09 AM
Riding pants have to wait. I cannot afford them right now. The way I see it is that I'm already protected mostly. I know mostly isn't great but it isn't bad. I do plan to wear blue jeans all the time. Once I get some more money together I will get pants, because I feel I need to but at least I am not squiding it up. Thanks for your concerns I appreciate it.

Almost all of my riding WILL be around 35-40 MPH. I will only take very short trips on the highway. I just need something bigger so I CAN go on the highway and the 250R seems to fit that bill for 20 minute rides at most. As far as speed, I will be okay at 70 MPH on the highway. Not much reason for me to even go 75mph.

tjkamper
July 2nd, 2009, 05:32 AM
Good choices, where are your pants? If you plan on doing any spirited riding you should be wearing some riding pants. Many will suggest you wear riding pants for every ride as well.

I do!

Glad you got some gear. Stay safe.

rockNroll
July 2nd, 2009, 06:58 AM
The Alpinestars gloves are a nice glove, I have a set of these, but they do run small. I wear a large glove in every brand I own or have ever tried... cep't A's. I have a pair in large and I can barely fit them over my hands. They just lie on my dresser, collecting dust. I been planning on getting an xl size and trying them out.

As far as shields go.. I've never been questioned by police for wearing a "mirrored" shield and have been wearing them for 15+ years now. Most of my helmets are shoei and the iridium shields give good protection from the sun while allowing decent visibility in the dark. I'm currently sporting a Suomy helmet and ordered a "mirror" silver shield for it (it looks almost chrome) and its sooo dark that I could barely see through it even early evening.. way too dark. I then ordered the "blue" and I can see through that ok in the dark, though it looks "darker" through it than a clear shield. Smoke shields are terrible for night, they make your surroundings too dark (the 3-4 shoei smoke shields that I have) and they're sitting in helmet boxes in the closet. Looking at the icon site, I personally would have to give one of those 'icon proshield' shields a try at night. I'd try the blue or gold, not the silver :D

As far as the sidi street burners... they look just like the sidi boots, cep't shorter. I have a pair of sidi vertigo corsa boots and they're nice boots, but the soles are sooo soft! If you do any walking around in those boots, you'll have the tread worn smooth in no-time.... I was amazed at how fast the bottoms of these boots wear and Ive seen many comments on other forums about it.

noche_caliente
July 2nd, 2009, 08:01 AM
you realize denim offers virtually no protection in a crash? I don't want to be the gear nazi, but wanted to make sure you realize you will have as much protection from jeans as you would chinos... none... I don't want you to think that you're getting protection from them and then find out the hard way...

Focus Mike
July 2nd, 2009, 08:05 AM
I'm sure they will shred but my goal is to stay on top of the bike in the first place. I will get a pair of pants I just need MORE MONEY! If I can swing it i will get a pair but right now its really tough for me seeing I spent more money on better gear yesterday. I want good stuff. I will get good stuff I just need a bit more time... Or you can ship me out some money :)

almost40
July 2nd, 2009, 08:34 AM
I just need something bigger so I CAN go on the highway and the 250R seems to fit that bill for 20 minute rides at most. As far as speed, I will be okay at 70 MPH on the highway. Not much reason for me to even go 75mph

Do you live in chicago???lol You will be meat waffels if your only go 70mph on I-94. The semis run 75mph. Keep in mind that the speedo is off by at least 5 mph at about 70. Just go with the flow on the highway. TRUST ME in this one.

Focus Mike
July 2nd, 2009, 08:51 AM
Okay, I've never ridden a bike on the highway, I would feel comfortable going whatever I have to go but at night I will cruise a little slower. I'm sure I'll figure it out. LOL @ Meat waffles.

almost40
July 2nd, 2009, 09:05 AM
Just go with the flow, and stay out of the fast lane. Youll be fine. You might want to consider a back & chest protector as a latter addition to the gear list.

welcome2thedawn
September 24th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Great choice on gear. Keep us updated with how your gear feels after you put some miles on your bike. As far as the visor, I would personally suggest you switch out your clear visor and mirror visor when you ride after sunset. I tried on a few visors and it felt kinda unsafe to have a tinted visor at night, idk, my opinion... Good luck and safe riding.

i agree about the visor...not so good after dark....i just change mine out...i have an icon helmet too and pushing the locking lever is easier with a key or something like that...congrats on the bike!

austexjg
December 28th, 2009, 05:17 PM
How are the Sidi street burners holding up? Any complaints?

Snake
December 28th, 2009, 05:34 PM
That was quite a after Christmas shopping spree there. Did Santa give you some gift cirtificates for Christmas?

Focus Mike
December 28th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Sidi Street Burners have gotten I'd say 1k miles on them and they are fantastic boots. They are super comfy like the day I bought them and they provide good airflow for when you want to open the vents. The seem well made. I would buy them again. They also provide a good grip to the floor when you put your feet down unless its loose gravel. They are very comfortable when shifting.

If you are curious about the boots try them on and then purchase them and don't look back on the money you spent. :)

sixer
December 29th, 2009, 08:03 PM
THOSE BOOTS are freakin hot!!!

richierich781 -

we got Oakleys last tour- but i like the PT3 WILEYS better-