View Full Version : How tight is too tight?

jstone
July 2nd, 2009, 03:41 PM
I just bought an Icon Airframe helmet, and it is very snug on my head. I've never owned a street helmet before, only off-road. Do these helmets break-in very much? Or should I go ahead and return it for a larger size? I kind of put the cart before the horse and got a helmet before the bike, but it shouldn't be long and I know I won't ride without one. I would wear it a little and see, but I think people might look at me funny in my car. Its tight under my ears, around my jaw bone.

Alex
July 2nd, 2009, 03:45 PM
It's supposed to be quite snug. Shaking your head side to side and front to back shouldn't allow the helmet to move even the slightest bit on your head. They also do break-in a bit over time. That said, if it is so tight that it cause actual pain, you have a headache after wearing it for an hour, or if you get some awful hot spots on parts of your head, then it may be too tight.

Generally, people buy helmets that are a little too big for them thinking they feel more comfortable when trying them on in the store. But a snug helmet can both better protect your noggin, and also ends up to be more comfortable over the long haul because it doesn't move around at all on your head while you're riding the bike.

kkim
July 2nd, 2009, 03:47 PM
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-faq.htm

CC Cowboy
July 2nd, 2009, 03:55 PM
As in women, tight is good. You don't want it to slip around on your head while you're riding.

noche_caliente
July 2nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
welcome Jared. You've already gotten some good advice, so I'll leave it at that and say hello! this thread from a day or so ago might help too: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23445

jstone
July 2nd, 2009, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to keep it for a little while. The more I had it on around the house this afternoon, the better it felt. If I do decide that its still too tight, I think I will just order smaller cheek pads for it, because it def fits everywhere else.

AnarchoMoltov
July 2nd, 2009, 09:03 PM
As in women, tight is good. You don't want it to slip around on your head while you're riding.

:laugh::laugh:

nmd003
July 2nd, 2009, 10:24 PM

:amen:

miks
July 2nd, 2009, 10:54 PM

Legend.

Neema12
July 3rd, 2009, 09:57 AM
I had the same issue with my helmet. I am bringing the helmet with my to a local shop and comparing it side-to-side with other sizes and models.

If I keep the helmet, ill buy a tinted screen :)
If the helmet is too tight, ill be upset because I gotta get a new one :(

coffeecandy
July 9th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Jay leno fit into a Medium....so what does that tell you about fitting into helmets? My HJC needs to be replaced or I need to step down to a large.

jola
July 9th, 2009, 04:59 PM
They do break in some. If it is snug and doesn't give you a headache while riding then I think you are in good shape.

tjkamper
July 9th, 2009, 05:47 PM
They do break in. But it should be really snug. Just make sure it is not pinching your ears-thats a no no.

BlueRaven
July 9th, 2009, 07:20 PM

:eek: i guess that would ruin the "ride"...by the way where are you hidding out lately cc?

backinthesaddleagain
July 10th, 2009, 06:29 PM
:eek: i guess that would ruin the "ride"...by the way where are you hidding out lately cc?

saw him in Rhode Island - great guy

Snake
July 10th, 2009, 06:32 PM
saw him in Rhode Island - great guy

He seems like a great guy that would be fun to hang out with. His sense of humor is hilarious.

backinthesaddleagain
July 10th, 2009, 06:43 PM
great rider too. he was nailing some tight backroads that had some sandy and pot holed spots from all the rain we've had here.

EngrNewf
July 13th, 2009, 04:07 PM
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-faq.htm

Biking==meditation;

:thumbup: