View Full Version : Clear Tail Light

Jax1512
July 3rd, 2009, 10:14 AM
Can anyone tell me where I can find a clear lense LED tail light for my 09 ninja 250? I already have a no-cut brake modulator and don't really need a integrated tail light.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Jax1512

noche_caliente
July 3rd, 2009, 10:35 AM
Welcome Jackie - you've mentioned the only one out there - afaik Bike Monkey makes the only clear light that will fit our bikes

Jax1512
July 3rd, 2009, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the help...I think I'll just wait and hope that someone comes up with a clear lense.

Thanks again,
Jackie

bikeboyben14
July 3rd, 2009, 11:22 AM
or maybe contact bike monkey and see if they will make u a led tail with out the turn signals in it

richierich781
July 3rd, 2009, 12:13 PM
You can always get the integrated tail light and not hook up the signals.
Posted via Mobile Device

Grn99Kawi
July 3rd, 2009, 01:14 PM
Keep in mind clear might not be DOT legal (more than likely isnt) unless it is a clear lense on top of red lenses.. red LED behind a clear lense are not technically DOT I believe...

Like those clear taillights the ricers use compared to OEM clear/red lights on an Altima...

Jax1512
July 5th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Thank you for all the advice, I think I will go ahead and contact Bike Monkeys to see if they can just simplify their current product for me. I already have a no-cut brake modulator hooked up, I don't want to get to crazy.

As for the DOT concern, in the State of Michigan, I'm good to go as long as the LED's or bulbs themselves are red for the tail light with a clear lense.

Grn99Kawi
July 5th, 2009, 07:51 PM
lucky for you.. many state DOTs require a red reflector somewhere on the rear or on the taillight itself.. thats what makes many clear car lights non-DOT....

AnarchoMoltov
July 5th, 2009, 08:41 PM
so your telling me the bike monkey integrated tail light isnt dot compliant???

Alex
July 5th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Almost no aftermarket lights are DOT compliant. Just like almost no exhausts are legal for street use.

zartan
July 5th, 2009, 11:11 PM
G7u31hsgrP0

These Bike monkey lights look so bright. They would seem better than the stock ones.. Dumb law. : ( compliance is not fun...

Jackie will you let us know what bike monkey says plez!!

Jax1512
July 6th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Zartan,

Bike Monkey said they don't have just a clear lense, that we could buy the integrated tail light and just not hook up the turn signals if you choose to keep the stock ones. I'm not sure, I might play around with mine to see which I like better!

noche_caliente
July 6th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Adam - the reflector laws are FEDERAL DOT regulations - they cannot vary from state to state. There is no requirement that the housing for the lights be red, only that there is a red tail light - either bulb or lens, and that there is 1 red reflector on the versical centerline or two symmetrically distributed around the vertical centerline on the rear of the bike (ie on the two license plate bolts), and that there are one on each side to the rear as far as practical that is red and one on each side to the front as far as practical that is amber.
On the rear--1 red on the vertical centerline except that, if two are used on the rear, they shall be symmetrically disposed about the vertical centerline.
On each side--1 red as far to the rear as practicable, and 1 amber as far to the front as practicable.

With the bike monkey lights, the issue comes in that the minimum separation from the center to center of the lights is not 9 inches.
At or near the rear--1 red or amber on each side of the vertical centerline, at the same height and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline to centerline of lamps) of 9 inches. Minimum edge to edge separation distance between lamp and tail or stop lamp is 4-inches, when a single stop and taillamp is installed on the vertical centerline and the turn signal lamps are red.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=49&PART=571&SECTION=108&YEAR=2000&TYPE=TEXT