View Full Version : Question on footpeg placement, and controls.

Jarod
July 3rd, 2009, 06:12 PM
Hey, I've noticed a minor problem on my bike.
Since I'm rather tall (6'4"), my feet tend to want to be angled down a little bit on the pegs. this means unless im way duck footed im pressing down on the shifter and rear brake.
I have adjusted the brake lever far enough that its no longer an issue.

I also adjusted the shifter, however i can't adjust it far enough due to the linkage hitting on the footpeg mount. So i adjusted it back up so it doesnt make contact anymore.
but the shifter is still under a small amount of pressure in my ideal position on the bike.

Should I just attempt to alter my riding position or is there some way to modify something slightly so i'm not holding pressure on the shifter? Or can I just hold my toe out far enough it doesnt touch the shifter?

Thanks,
Tom

kkim
July 3rd, 2009, 06:20 PM
I also adjusted the shifter, however i can't adjust it far enough due to the linkage hitting on the footpeg mount.

Tom, can you post of picture of this problem?

have you tried moving the shifter lever itself one spline on the shifter shaft?

Jarod
July 3rd, 2009, 06:26 PM
have you tried moving the shifter lever itself one spline on the shifter shaft?

Yea, thats how I adjusted it, i think i moved it 2 splines and brought it back about 1/2 spline with the adjustment in the threaded rod. so its 1.5 splines lower than factory.

I'll try to get a pic of it sometime, its dark out now and the bike is in my brothers shop for now, I'll see if i can get pictures tomorrow.

Tom

kkim
July 3rd, 2009, 06:30 PM
cool... try to get some pics with the shift lever hitting the footpeg mount.

Jarod
July 3rd, 2009, 06:36 PM
Yep, I'll definetly do that.
Thanks

Racer x
July 4th, 2009, 03:27 AM
I have had the same problem . I have tried every combination of foot peg and rear set.
I ended up using Buell XB foot pegs. With stock rear sets . They go down and back just enough. And I have the shifter adjusted to work .Before If I adjust the shifter where it is comfortable it would hit the foot peg when going Down into first . I ground a slight notch into the foot peg to allow it to move .. BUT then it hits the bolt head for the kick stand. So I had to bend it out.
I have a 34 inch inseam and have a bad knee . So folding my legs up gets very uncomfortable on long rides.That is why I have spent so much time on my seating position..Something I have not tried it raising the seat with either more padding or shimming the bolts up at the front of the seat
The first photo is all the stuff I have tried . The second is the Buell XB foot pegs.

Wes
July 4th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Jarod:

It sounds to me like you are trying to ride the motorcycle with the arches of your feet on the pegs. You should be riding with the balls of your feet on the pegs, and moving your feet as required to access the controls.

Other points to cover - make sure your crotch is scooted right up against the gas tank, grip the tank firmly with your knees, and use your abdominal muscles (not your hands/arms) to support your upper body.

Wes

kkim
July 4th, 2009, 10:30 AM
welcome to the forum, Wes. :)

noche_caliente
July 4th, 2009, 11:08 AM
:whathesaid:
don't guys tend to not want to be up against the tank?

nate-bama
July 4th, 2009, 11:29 AM
hey jarod hows it going, im the same height as youand it took some training to become comfortable without putting weight on the bars. My big thing was using the balls of my feet on the pegs and training my lower back and legs to support my weight. yesterday i put 200 miles on it at one time and was fairly comfortable. i bet i look kinda funny all folded up. i feel even goofier on the new 600's

Verus Cidere
July 5th, 2009, 12:16 AM
I have had the same problem . I have tried every combination of foot peg and rear set.
I ended up using Buell XB foot pegs. With stock rear sets . They go down and back just enough. And I have the shifter adjusted to work .Before If I adjust the shifter where it is comfortable it would hit the foot peg when going Down into first . I ground a slight notch into the foot peg to allow it to move .. BUT then it hits the bolt head for the kick stand. So I had to bend it out.
I have a 34 inch inseam and have a bad knee . So folding my legs up gets very uncomfortable on long rides.That is why I have spent so much time on my seating position..Something I have not tried it raising the seat with either more padding or shimming the bolts up at the front of the seat
The first photo is all the stuff I have tried . The second is the Buell XB foot pegs.

You wouldn't happen to still have that rearset would you? I might take it off your hands if you don't want it. :D Maybe the adjustable riser plates too....

tamikam
July 5th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I had no idea the brake lever and shifter could be adjusted. I have the opposite problem. I'm 5 feet tall, While riding I scoot my foot all the way forward to be able to reach the brake and Shifter. So my just my heel is in contact. When I first take off my foot naturally wants to be on the peg at the ball of my foot, causing me to readjust. Im in a lot of stop and go traffic, shouldn't I position my right foot on my rear brake for quick stopping (just in case)?

komohana
July 5th, 2009, 02:27 PM
i've gotten into the habit years ago of having my foot and toes on top of the brake and shifter, unless i have them as you and others have described, ball of foot on peg.

I had no idea the brake lever and shifter could be adjusted.

do you have a maintenance manual for your bike?
i think you may be able to address your concerns by raising the brake and shifter from their present position.

Im in a lot of stop and go traffic, shouldn't I position my right foot on my rear brake for quick stopping (just in case)?

definately!
in town, in traffic, in twisties, your feet should be ready to apply whatever you need (shift or break). this should be your 'default' or primary riding foot posture IMHO. i'll adjust my feet on the pegs while cruising in a more open enviornment w/less traffic. also, when moving fwd. from a stop, my right foot is up first and on the rear brake lever in case i need to brake at slow speeds.

you have a PM

Jarod
July 6th, 2009, 07:34 AM
argh, sorry I haven't been able to get pictures yet, its been a bit crazy around here suddenly.
It seems like i may very well be positioning my feet wrong though.
I've ridden ATVs and other powersports stuff, and the arches sat on the pegs usually.
so I assumed the arches of my feet were where the pegs should sit.
I'll try to get some pics as soon as i possibly can.

Art Vandelay
September 17th, 2011, 08:58 PM

I hate to bring old threads back from the dead like this, but this is *exactly* where I'm stuck in getting my bike how I like it. I installed the Buell pegs, notched the peg bracket for shifter clearance, and now the shifter is hitting the kickstand. I don't think I'm comfortable with bending the shift lever. I briefly considered shortening the kickstand spring mount and using zip ties to ensure the kickstand spring doesn't come off, but that doesn't feel like the right answer. I could notch the shifter, but I don't think that will be enough. Are there any other options?