View Full Version : Alternative rear turn signals?

virtualmatt
July 5th, 2009, 02:32 PM
After noticing that nobody makes clear lenses for the stock '07 Ninja 250 rear turn signals, I was wondering if I could put another bike's rear turn signals on it instead. I'd put them in pods, but I want to remain street legal. Does anybody have any suggestions of rear turn signals (with available clear lenses) what would look good on an '07 250?

EDIT: And to people that have integrated their rear turn signals into the pods, have you ever had a problem with law enforcement or getting your bike inspected?

JCCJMM_
July 5th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Check this thread out:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16201

I added a couple of pictures at the bottom of a pair of new rear signals with clear lenses that I put on. Cleaned up the back of the bike and made more room for saddle bags should I choose to use them.

virtualmatt
July 5th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Those are pretty nice! They are pretty tiny, though. So you don't find there is a visibility problem?

Also, are those 9" apart (center to center)? If so, I may have to find a set of them :D

noche_caliente
July 5th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Matt - what leads you to believe that integrating into the pods would not be street legal? There are federal regulations that dictate what lighting on vehicles needs to be - and as long as your pods have a minimum reflective surface area, there's no reason why they wouldn't be legal unless you switch to red bulbs instead of amber. If you have questions about it let me know and I can find the link, but the only thing I can recall that might make the pods illegal was that there is a minimum distance of 9" from bulb to bulb on the turn signals IF they're the same color as the tail light, but if they're amber, then the minimum distance does not apply.

virtualmatt
July 5th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Ah, I was given some bad information!

Grn99Kawi
July 5th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Im not a big fan of clear lenses on anything.. very ricey...

amber lenses in the rear pods look good.. I was going to do that as mine were relocated before I bought the bike.. bike teh red has grown on me.

noche_caliente
July 5th, 2009, 05:34 PM
There is a table all the way at the very end (that I found after reading all through the rest of the garbage) that summarize everything:
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=49&PART=571&SECTION=108&YEAR=2000&TYPE=TEXT
basically it says this about rear signals:
At or near the rear--1 red or amber on each side of the vertical centerline, at the same height and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline to centerline of lamps) of 9 inches. Minimum edge to edge separation distance between lamp and tail or stop lamp is 4-inches, when a single stop and taillamp is installed on the vertical centerline and the turn signal lamps are red.

Verus Cidere
July 5th, 2009, 09:00 PM
So does that mean that integrated signals aren't street legal? I've never had any problems with the police or anything because of my signals. :confused20:

JCCJMM_
July 6th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Legality of turn signals will vary from state to state. Check with your local DMV.

noche_caliente
July 6th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Michael - as long as the center of the flashing part is 9 inches apart, then they are legal

John-Michael, that information is incorrect. These are FEDERAL DOT regulations and cannot be overruled by any state regulations.

JCCJMM_
July 6th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Here is a link to Texas DOT inspection requirements:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/inspection/rules_list.asp?itemdrop=Turn+Signal+Lamps&rejectsubmit=Go

Without proper inspection, bike is not legal per state law. That is why I brought up legality and checking with state specifics.

Apparently, motorcycles in Texas are not even required to have turn signals.

Verus Cidere
July 6th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I checked on motorcycle requirements in NM, and all it says is that turn signals are required. It doesn't say anything about placement or distance from each other.

noche_caliente
July 7th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Michael - NM can't make those requirements as it is a federal guideline - otherwise a vehicle that is legal in one state wouldn't be legal in another

Verus Cidere
July 7th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Just measured. With integrated signals, it's approximately 8.5 inches from center of signal to center of other signal. Technically illegal, but I don't think they'll be too nitpicky. At least I hope not! :rolleyes:

noche_caliente
July 7th, 2009, 06:55 PM
well, the regulation I believe says 9 inches, not 9.0 inches - this is the one time that significant figures really are your friend! if it's 8.5" measured, it rounds up to 9 inches as stated in teh law ;)

Verus Cidere
July 7th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Very nice!!!! I'm LEGAL!!!! :D;)