View Full Version : Any carpenters here?

RaceBikeRentals
July 8th, 2009, 07:13 PM
This is driving me absolutely nuts. I'm (attempting) to build a free-standing, low deck in my back yard. Here's what I've come up with for the framing plan. Catch is that I have no idea where to put the footings. I've shown a few in this plan, where I know they have to be, but for the life of me can't determine where I should put the rest of em. Any feedback?

noche_caliente
July 8th, 2009, 07:21 PM
well, my degree is in ChemE, but with as many mechanical engineers as we have around here, I'm sure someone can help you out and give great advice!

Bsmith
July 8th, 2009, 08:51 PM
I think alot of it will depend on the lumber and expected live and static loading, but I'd call the local building inspector's office and the should tell what the requirements are. or go to the library and they may have it there. But you will definitely want more blocking at the current locations and possibly want to double up on both the rim joists and the joists that are going to be sitting on the footings. like so.

almost40
July 9th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Call me Richard or PM me and Ill give you my number again. I can help you with whatever you need. In a former life I was a carpenter / home builder for many moons. (before my doctor told me to stop or its knee surgery)

almost40
July 9th, 2009, 09:27 AM
There alot of questions I still have but I would put a 4x4 post in each of the red locations. Just call me Richard. lol

talldrink
July 9th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Check out www.deckplans.com; it was very helpful to me when I built an at-grade deck.

RaceBikeRentals
July 10th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Great advice, thanks! I'm in the country, so thankfully no building codes to deal with. The deck will be low to the ground, so not using 4x4 posts. The 2x6 joists will be sitting directly on the footings.

Kevin - Damn, was hoping to have far fewer footings. Also, I'd like the footings 2' inside the edges for cosmetic reasons.

RaceBikeRentals
July 10th, 2009, 06:23 AM
I see this as the bare minimum, but am worried about the loads at the inside 90 degree corner locations, although there won't be any weight there. Just using the deck for a barbeque and a couple pieces of outdoor furniture.

Kevin - Gonna call you... thanks for the offer :)

noche_caliente
July 10th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Check out www.deckplans.com; it was very helpful to me when I built an at-grade deck.

great site! thanks for the link!