View Full Version : Mellow Bay Area Ride through Metcalf Saturday, July 25, 2009 - Now with Pictures!

coffeecandy
July 9th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Start address: 1033 E Capitol Expy San Jose, CA 95121 (McDonalds, Starbucks, Quiznos, Taco Bell, Denny's, USA Gas Station. Meet at Starbucks parking lot.)

End address: 5611 Santa Teresa Blvd San Jose, CA 95123 (In and Out and Boston Market) Across the street is Oakridge Mall

Pace: Speed Limit plus 5. Faster Groups may go ahead of us. Use your head and Ride your own pace. This is not a race track.

Meeting Time: Saturday July 25, 2009 at 09:30am

Kick stands Up(KSU): Saturday July 25, 2009 at 10:30am (If there is a big turn out expect to leave 10-15 mins after to fit into a group.)

Groups: No more than 7 people per group including leads and sweeps. Any volunteers who have experience leading and sweeping?

Length of ride: 51.5 miles from beginning to end and Google maps says it's 2 hours to ride not including the time we stop for breaks and pictures. Which for you ninja 250 people out there, its about a gallon of gas or 3 dollars worth of gas assuming the gas per gallon is $2.79.

You: Leather Jacket + leather gloves (mechanix gloves is a no no) or more if you prefer but you will not come riding in sandals and/or shorts which also includes your 2-up partner in the back seat. A good attitude and any motorcycle. Cars are welcome but they will stay in the very back to sweep. I will be there in full gear which includes textile pants, leather jacket, leather gloves, and boots.

Bike: Tire Pressure is checked and filled if necessary and you have more than enough tire tread to make it through this ride. Bike is in mechanically sound condition.

Regrouping: We will have predetermined spots to stop and if you feel you need to move up/down a spot, please notify your lead and sweep in your original group then arrange to move up/down a group with the other lead and sweep.

Route: Look below and (Click here for Map (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=1033+E+Capitol+Expy,+San+Jose,+California+95121&daddr=Silver+Creek+Rd+to:Yerba+Buena+Rd+to:San+Felipe+Rd+to:Metcalf+Rd+to:Malech +Rd+to:Malech+Rd+to:Bailey+Ave+to:McKean+Rd+to:Unknown+road+to:Bertram+Rd+to:Ala mitos+Rd+to:Cherry+Canyon+Rd+to:Cherry+Canyon+Rd+to:Loma+Prieta+Rd+to:Mount+Umun hum+L+Prieta+Rd+to:Mount+Umunhum+Rd+to:Hicks+Rd+to:Hicks+Rd+to:Blossom+Hill+Rd+t o:5611+Santa+Teresa+Blvd.+95123&geocode=%3BFeo_OQIdlVK9-A%3BFSYmOQIdJXO9-A%3BFfYfOQId6O29-A%3BFdxhOAIdmT6_-A%3BFTEVOAIdcEy--A%3BFfXJNwId_LK--A%3BFaldNwIdfRa--A%3BFfJvNwIdP469-A%3BFVlJNwIdszy9-A%3BFV87NwIdfhy9-A%3BFWYrNwIdrhO9-A%3BFfgoNwIdUxS9-A%3BFQUZNwIdMz-9-A%3BFTdSNgIdocG8-A%3BFWGxNgIdty68-A%3BFTw-NwIdA328-A%3BFVdENwIdpYK8-A%3BFVsHOAIdleK7-A%3BFXYvOAIdbe27-A%3B&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=37.215156,-121.914682&sspn=0.035065,0.077162&ie=UTF8&z=11))

Start at: 1033 E Capitol Expy San Jose, CA 95121

1. Head northwest - 144 ft
2. Turn right toward McLaughlin Ave - 302 ft
3. Turn right at McLaughlin Ave - 295 ft
4. Turn left at E Capitol Expy - 0.7 mi
5. Turn right at Silver Creek Rd - 489 ft

Arrive at: Silver Creek Rd

6. Head southeast on Silver Creek Rd toward Daniel Maloney Dr - 0.6 mi
7. Turn left at Yerba Buena Rd - 203 ft

Arrive at: Yerba Buena Rd

8. Head east on Yerba Buena Rd toward Ashridge Ln - 1.9 mi
9. Turn right at San Felipe Rd - 354 ft

Arrive at: San Felipe Rd

10. Head southeast on San Felipe Rd toward Park Estates Way - 6.2 mi
11. Slight right at Metcalf Rd - 348 ft

Arrive at: Metcalf Rd

12. Head south on Metcalf Rd toward Shingle Valley Rd - 5.5 mi
13. Turn left at Malech Rd - 230 ft

Arrive at: Malech Rd

14. Head southeast on Malech Rd toward Bailey Ave - 2.1 mi

Arrive at: Malech Rd

15. Head southwest on Malech Rd toward Bailey Ave - 174 ft
16. Slight right at Bailey Ave - 3.3 mi

Arrive at: Bailey Ave

17. Head southwest on Bailey Ave toward McKean Rd - 0.1 mi
18. Turn right at McKean Rd - 2.0 mi

Arrive at: McKean Rd

19. Head west on McKean Rd toward Cherry Canyon Rd - 262 ft
20. Turn left at Cherry Canyon Rd - 0.2 mi
21. Turn right - 2.5 mi

Arrive at: Unknown road

22. Head southwest toward Cinnabar Hills Rd - 148 ft
23. Turn right at Cinnabar Hills Rd - 0.1 mi
24. Turn left at Bertram Rd - 0.5 mi

Arrive at: Bertram Rd

25. Head northwest on Bertram Rd toward Almaden Rd - 138 ft
26. Turn left at Almaden Rd - 115 ft
27. Continue on Alamitos Rd - 0.3 mi

Arrive at: Alamitos Rd

28. Head southwest on Alamitos Rd toward Cinnabar Hills Rd - 210 ft
29. Turn left at Cinnabar Hills Rd - 318 ft
30. Turn right at Cherry Canyon Rd - 157 ft

Arrive at: Cherry Canyon Rd

31. Head west on Cherry Canyon Rd - 1.3 mi

Arrive at: Cherry Canyon Rd

32. Head south on Cherry Canyon Rd - 1.0 mi
33. Turn right toward Loma Prieta Rd - 4.5 mi
34. Slight right at Loma Prieta Rd - 0.1 mi

Arrive at: Loma Prieta Rd

35. Head northwest on Loma Prieta Rd toward Metcalf Rd - 3.2 mi
36. Continue on Mount Umunhum L Prieta Rd - 0.3 mi

Arrive at: Mount Umunhum L Prieta Rd

37. Head northwest on Mount Umunhum L Prieta Rd toward Mount Umunhum Rd -
0.5 mi
38. Slight left at Mount Umunhum Rd - 0.3 mi
39. Turn right to stay on Mount Umunhum Rd - 3.7 mi

Arrive at: Mount Umunhum Rd

40. Head northeast on Mount Umunhum Rd toward Woods Rd - 453 ft
41. Turn left at Hicks Rd - 390 ft

Arrive at: Hicks Rd

42. Head northwest on Hicks Rd toward Woods Rd - 5.1 mi
43. Turn right to stay on Hicks Rd - 0.1 mi
44. Turn right to stay on Hicks Rd - 0.9 mi

Arrive at: Hicks Rd

45. Head northeast on Hicks Rd toward Camden Ave - 217 ft
46. Turn left at Camden Ave - 0.7 mi
47. Turn right at Blossom Hill Rd - 0.1 mi

Arrive at: Blossom Hill Rd

48. Head east on Blossom Hill Rd toward Blossom Park Ln - 2.7 mi
49. Turn right at Santa Teresa Blvd - 0.1 mi

Arrive at: 5611 Santa Teresa Blvd San Jose, CA 95123

Please post here if you are interested in attending so I can Coordinate the necessary leads and sweeps in the group. If I am the only one leading then there can only be 5 people in this ride. So post up if you will be in attendance.

CoffeeCandy

coffeecandy
July 14th, 2009, 11:01 AM
i'm surprised no one is signing up for this ride...The admin is local and he's not going on this ride?

I'll quote someone that I met the other day. "I don't check the group rides section just the technical forum"

anywho TTT

BlueTyke
July 14th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I would have jumped on this ride if I still was in the area.

Sometimes though people don't post to going on the rides but they'll show up.

Also Alex (The Admin) is a busy guy. Wife and kid and all... It could be he has other plans. Be patient :) Add to that he also knows a lot of people. You can also try posting this ride on SouthbayRiders.com (Not just Ninja riders but all kinds) or Bayarearidersforum.com.

paterick4o8
July 14th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I know the route except for the part about making a left turn after bailey and beyond. I'll see about joining, and if so I can lead a faster group til the end of bailey and maybe someone can take over.

but anywho, I'm not sure if you've done so already, but if you're looking to get more riders, why not just post in the local forums like SBR or BARF? :ride:

coffeecandy
July 14th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I would have jumped on this ride if I still was in the area.

Sometimes though people don't post to going on the rides but they'll show up.

Also Alex (The Admin) is a busy guy. Wife and kid and all... It could be he has other plans. Be patient :) Add to that he also knows a lot of people. You can also try posting this ride on SouthbayRiders.com (Not just Ninja riders but all kinds) or Bayarearidersforum.com.

yea i know he has a kid. i was egging him on :D

coffeecandy
July 14th, 2009, 11:22 PM
I know the route except for the part about making a left turn after bailey and beyond. I'll see about joining, and if so I can lead a faster group til the end of bailey and maybe someone can take over.

but any who, I'm not sure if you've done so already, but if you're looking to get more riders, why not just post in the local forums like SBR or BARF? :ride:

I heard you're a really fast rider...:thumbup: we will do a pre-run just so the people who are leading and sweeping know what they're getting into and hopefully not above and beyond their abilities. :D

phatasiandiva
July 18th, 2009, 10:51 PM
hi there. new to the forum and i guess this woud be a good place to meet new riders and hopefully friends. i will be there for sure! and bring a non-ninjette or ninja friend with me, if that's okay.

coffeecandy
July 20th, 2009, 01:03 PM
hi there. new to the forum and i guess this woud be a good place to meet new riders and hopefully friends. i will be there for sure! and bring a non-ninjette or ninja friend with me, if that's okay.

see you there:thumbup:

ninjitsu250
July 20th, 2009, 05:40 PM

welcome to the forum! let me see what i can do, about going. hopefully i can make it...

eureka
July 22nd, 2009, 12:55 AM
I'm new to this forum and pretty much a noob rider. I will try to be there as well.

kkim
July 22nd, 2009, 12:58 AM
welcome to the forum, Praj.
:)

paterick4o8
July 22nd, 2009, 06:52 AM
I'm new to this forum and pretty much a noob rider. I will try to be there as well.

Hello Praj :welcome:. just fyi, maybe PM Eli and ask about the pre-ride he had mentioned..

not to scare you away but the part of going down Metcalf road is pretty steep and tight.. and there's a couple I've known who had gone down on it because they were going too fast.

So I just suggest doing a pre-ride or really practicing on how to do downhill (hugging the tank with your knees the whole time, keeping your eyes on where you need to be going and not target fixing, etc.) beforehand.

coffeecandy
July 22nd, 2009, 09:57 AM
I really encourage people who have ridden bicycles to think about how they would approach a turn on a down hill. They know to brake way in advance and smoothly turn into the corner.

On the metcalf downhill, I turn off my moto and coast down it and use a lot of the rear brake before the turn.

Down Mt Madonna coming from Watsonville, you can turn off the bike and coast the entire way and still be traveling at 40ish mph.

eureka
July 22nd, 2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks all for the warm welcome.
Patrick: A pre-ride is a good idea but I won't have time this week.I'll just have to ride at a slow, safe pace. Thanks for the heads-up :)

paterick4o8
July 22nd, 2009, 07:06 PM
if anyone wants, I can post video footage tonight of San Felipe and Metcalf.. I took a ride today after my Dentist appointment since they're not too far from this route.

let me know

eureka
July 22nd, 2009, 07:58 PM
I'd like to see the video.

paterick4o8
July 22nd, 2009, 10:22 PM
here ya go. they're nice roads. take them at your own pace and you're sure to have fun :thumbup: :ride:

XCKDU0qisMY

iUcszUxin3c

eureka
July 23rd, 2009, 12:00 AM
Much appreciated. Thanks for posting.

paterick4o8
July 23rd, 2009, 07:25 PM
np

coffeecandy
July 25th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Not sure which forum to post this on but here it is. :thumbup:

Thank you for coming out and having a grand ol time getting lost. In attendance was Me, Farm, Patrick, Thao, Bob, Harby, and Anthony. We finished our group ride at 1:30 at In and Out on Blossom Hill and we started at 11 because I had to finish my HOT tea I purchased from StarBucks :D

Meeting up at Starbucks and getting ready for the ride.

coffeecandy
July 25th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Patrick getting ready and this would be the end of Metcalf Road where we took our break.

coffeecandy
July 25th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Top of Mt. umunhum Road off hicks.

coffeecandy
July 25th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Bathroom Break at the bottom of mt umunhum road

coffeecandy
July 25th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Back from Hicks Road on Blossom Hill Road waiting for a light to turn green to our final destination at In and Out.

coffeecandy
July 25th, 2009, 03:39 PM
In and out and we are done! :thumbup:

see you next time!

Alex
July 25th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Looks like fun! Glad you guys had a good time. I merged the pics into the main ride thread and moved it all into the Ride Reports forum here. Thx for posting!

phatasiandiva
July 25th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Thanks for organizing and the photos Eli!! That was fun and I will do it again. Next time, it will end at my house for a bbq. Just have to make sure all ya'll are legal. he he :)

coffeecandy
July 26th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Thanks for coming out and its funny that you think we're underage. If i told you my actual age, you would be surprised.

306 views and no replies? its either jealousy or severe laziness.

Look out for another group ride later on in August posted on Ninjette.org group rides.

Cali619
July 27th, 2009, 09:27 AM
cool , thanks for pics and report.

Alex
July 27th, 2009, 09:34 AM
306 views and no replies? its either jealousy or severe laziness.

:wtf:

BlueTyke
July 27th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Alex merged them so it was alll of the views from before.
(Slow your judements Eli some of us take some time to enjoy your words and take a gander at the pictures before posting up!)

Great pictures .. Who is who?? :)

coffeecandy
July 27th, 2009, 10:39 AM
:wtf:

:thumbup:

coffeecandy
July 27th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Alex merged them so it was alll of the views from before.
(Slow your judements Eli some of us take some time to enjoy your words and take a gander at the pictures before posting up!)

Great pictures .. Who is who?? :)

yeah i'll slow my role when they start posting comments. the thread view went from about 100ish to 300 so that's telling me something about the views and non-comments. No comments means I don't put up pictures in the future because its the comments that allow the group rides in the future to grow.

There were a few people in attendance that aren't on this forum except harby, bob (not even sure of his forum name on here) and Thao. Harby is on the 1st gen yellow 250 and I believe bob and thao are on the 2nd gen red 250's.

forgot to mention patrick but thats his name and handle on this forum.

Alex
July 27th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Check your PM's.

bob
July 29th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Nice mellow ride. I enjoyed meeting everyone. Thanks for organizing! :thumbup: