View Full Version : Philips Motovision bulbs

mr.niftie
July 10th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I saw these bulbs on Motorweek and from what I've read, I think I want to try them.
The problem is that they are near impossible to get in Canada.
I called Philips and they suggested bulbs.com but their minimum order to foreign countries (yeah, I guess we're foreigners) need to place a minimum $100 order.
Does anyone have any ideas?

kkim
July 10th, 2009, 01:54 PM
How much are the bulbs? You may want to consider just installing HIDs instead. :)

mr.niftie
July 10th, 2009, 06:35 PM
The bulbs are only about $20 each.
No disrespect to anyone, but I'm just not a believer in sticking HID's into housings/reflectors that were never intended for them.
BTW, are our bulbs an H4?

Snake
July 10th, 2009, 06:38 PM
My suggestion is to find a buddy in the states to buy some for you and then ship them to you.

Nickds7
July 10th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Nevermind, what he said. Maybe I was just thinking from converting.

headshrink
July 10th, 2009, 08:48 PM
New gen. 250r uses H7 in H4 adaptors.... so replace with H7.

addy126
July 11th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Mike... research Cyclegear.com They stock those Phillips bulbs in the H7 you are looking for and also ship to Canada from what I can see. No limited purchase unless you are aiming for free shipping. I was at the Dallas Cycle Gear not to long ago and saw those bulbs on display. Picked them up but not in the market to change out the bulbs yet. I wonder if they are legal considering they emit an orange glow to the oncoming traffic yet light the street with white light for us.. something to check into before you buy.:thumbup:

mr.niftie
July 12th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the great responses!

AnarchoMoltov
July 12th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Are those bulbs just as good or better than HID lights???? :confused:

headshrink
July 12th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Are those bulbs just as good or better than HID lights???? :confused:

Apples and Oranges.

HID (high intensity discharge) lights are a completely different animal. You know how many newer cars, especially luxury cars, blind you with their low beams? These are HID lights. They are not traditional bulbs, or lenses. The lenses are more "projectors" and they use ballasts to start the bulbs. Instead of heating a glowing filament, the HID bulb essentially maintains an electrical arc across two probes. It takes a TON of power to ignite (hence the ballast) but once ignited actually takes less power than a traditional bulb to maintain the arc. They are NOT interchangeable with your current equipment, you have to change out the whole system. The characteristics of the light is different too (brighter, crisper, greater choice of color spectrum... usually higher on the color spectrum in kelvin). Those that do a retro on their bike are really only doing a 1/2 retro because there are no projector housings for motorcycles. So, although they do give off a lot more blinding light than a traditional bulb, they are somewhat crippled in that they don't have a proper "projector" housing (think of taking a long throw lens off a slide projector). Projectors are also designed to cut off the light abruptly at a certain angle (for oncoming traffic), but in a traditional lens, it is a little messier. HID lights are also not street legal on motorcycles. So you MAY or may not have an issue with that. Many people add them and still really like them, but I just suggest you really do your homework and are informed before going in this direction.

Here is an interesting link (http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html) about HID retro kits I just found.

I can't speak to the specific brand or model of upgraded traditional bulb you are looking at, but for $20 ea. I say it is worth a try. I don't know why they say an "orangeish" light helps you be seen better (I always thought the opposite), but a whiter light will help YOU see farther and with better definition. I do expect these will be better than your OEM bulb. I am using the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs (http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/HighPerformance/Silverstar/default.htm), they have similar claims (I think I paid $45-50 for a twin pack at Autozone). They are definitely brighter than OEM lights, and are legal. But nothing will put out light like an HID light will, no matter what the claims. Upgraded H7 bulbs are a relatively cheap way to try something a little brighter, without committing to a complete equipment switch over.

EDIT: According to Internet reviews, some are saying the Silverstars have a tendency to burn out a little early (as early as 6-12 mo.), likely due to vibration. I installed mine around last Christmas or New Years and have not had a problem yet. Since the MotoVision is specifically intended for motorcycles, that MIGHT be a better gamble.... but I can't verify if there is a real difference or just marketing.

noche_caliente
July 12th, 2009, 04:43 PM
We run the silverstar ultras in our cars and really like them :) Watch the Advance Auto ads, as they are often less than half price when they have the sales!

NaughtyusMaximus
July 12th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Forgive my ignorance. It looks like these come in two options:
H7: Single filament
H4: Double filament

I understand from a post above that our bikes use a H7-H4 adapter. Which bulb(s) would I want to get to replace both low and high beam in a new gen 250?

Edit: Nevermind, found it here (H7): http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11738

headshrink
July 12th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Forgive my ignorance. It looks like these come in two options:
H7: Single filament
H4: Double filament

I understand from a post above that our bikes use a H7-H4 adapter. Which bulb(s) would I want to get to replace both low and high beam in a new gen 250?

Edit: Nevermind, found it here (H7): http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11738

H7 x2 (left bulb is low beam, right bulb is high beam)

NaughtyusMaximus
July 12th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Thanks headshrink,
Just curious, has anyone tried putting two different bulbs in? Motovision for low and super whites for high beam?

AnarchoMoltov
July 12th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Apples and Oranges.

HID (high intensity discharge) lights are a completely different animal. You know how many newer cars, especially luxury cars, blind you with their low beams? These are HID lights. They are not traditional bulbs, or lenses. The lenses are more "projectors" and they use ballasts to start the bulbs. Instead of heating a glowing filament, the HID bulb essentially maintains an electrical arc across two probes. It takes a TON of power to ignite (hence the ballast) but once ignited actually takes less power than a traditional bulb to maintain the arc. They are NOT interchangeable with your current equipment, you have to change out the whole system. The characteristics of the light is different too (brighter, crisper, greater choice of color spectrum... usually higher on the color spectrum in kelvin). Those that do a retro on their bike are really only doing a 1/2 retro because there are no projector housings for motorcycles. So, although they do give off a lot more blinding light than a traditional bulb, they are somewhat crippled in that they don't have a proper "projector" housing (think of taking a long throw lens off a slide projector). Projectors are also designed to cut off the light abruptly at a certain angle (for oncoming traffic), but in a traditional lens, it is a little messier. HID lights are also not street legal on motorcycles. So you MAY or may not have an issue with that. Many people add them and still really like them, but I just suggest you really do your homework and are informed before going in this direction.

Here is an interesting link (http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html) about HID retro kits I just found.

I can't speak to the specific brand or model of upgraded traditional bulb you are looking at, but for $20 ea. I say it is worth a try. I don't know why they say an "orangeish" light helps you be seen better (I always thought the opposite), but a whiter light will help YOU see farther and with better definition. I do expect these will be better than your OEM bulb. I am using the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs (http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/HighPerformance/Silverstar/default.htm), they have similar claims (I think I paid $45-50 for a twin pack at Autozone). They are definitely brighter than OEM lights, and are legal. But nothing will put out light like an HID light will, no matter what the claims. Upgraded H7 bulbs are a relatively cheap way to try something a little brighter, without committing to a complete equipment switch over.

EDIT: According to Internet reviews, some are saying the Silverstars have a tendency to burn out a little early (as early as 6-12 mo.), likely due to vibration. I installed mine around last Christmas or New Years and have not had a problem yet. Since the MotoVision is specifically intended for motorcycles, that MIGHT be a better gamble.... but I can't verify if there is a real difference or just marketing.

Thanks 4 the info....I was going to convert to HID's because my stock bulbs really suck, I really strain to see at night...And I seen these different bulbs they had, and I wasnt sure if they are any better...But you have a differnt bulb installed and noche caliente has a different bulb..Is there a huge improvement in visibility, switching from stock to the Silverstars or sylvanias???

headshrink
July 13th, 2009, 01:58 AM
NaughtyusMaximus - I haven't tried it, but I remember in the early 90's, long before I dreamed I would ever ride, seeing sports bike with a yellow on one light and white on the other. After spending some of my childhood in Europe (let's not bring up that other infamous thread), I just assumed the yellow was for fog.... I think all the cars in France had yellow fog lamps (mandatory, I think). Who knows, maybe on the bikes it was just for looks - I always thought it was cool.

AnarchoMoltov - You're welcome. I think there was a reasonably significant difference between the OEM and Silverstars, at least I perceive a difference, but it is difficult to say definitively how much without testing them side by side, and since I have only one bike... that is impossible. BTW, Silverstars are made by Sylvania.

NaughtyusMaximus
July 13th, 2009, 07:47 AM
I was just thinking for the people who like to run their high beams as running lights, it might be good for visibility if you have two different coloured lights.

headshrink
July 13th, 2009, 10:31 AM
I was just thinking for the people who like to run their high beams as running lights, it might be good for visibility if you have two different coloured lights.

Yes, good idea.
It might also be good to add a headlight modulator too.

muffinman
July 16th, 2009, 01:30 AM
F-Sane Performance has a sweet Projector + HID bulbs/ballast + Halo kit available for motorcycles (not sure if it'llwork on the 2-fiddy) but it's a bit pricey.. ~$300. There's a coupon code that drops the price down to around $260ish

http://f-sane.com/store/images/Projector-Kit.jpg

Ken08Ninja
July 16th, 2009, 02:05 AM
F-Sane Performance has a sweet Projector + HID bulbs/ballast + Halo kit available for motorcycles (not sure if it'llwork on the 2-fiddy) but it's a bit pricey.. ~$300. There's a coupon code that drops the price down to around $260ish

http://f-sane.com/store/images/Projector-Kit.jpg

I bought these from John at Xebrite on Kawiforums.
http://xebritehidsystems.webs.com/bprsystem.htm

They do not fit inside the lense cover without some modifcations.:mad: I had to enlarge the bulb opening so the projectors would stick out the back some more. I am still trying to get the vertical aiming a little lower, but the projector is touching the lense cover. I ordered 4300K bulbs, they do light up the road extremely well. I can see alot farther now.

headshrink
July 16th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Wow, thanks for the info.... those look cool.

Is it safe to assume they are still not DOT?
I believe the non-projector retros had to slightly enlarge the openings too.

mr.niftie
July 16th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I'm pretty sure none of those HIDS are DOT approved.
Because you're basically putting an HID bulb into a non-projector/non-hid housing.
That's what I liked about the Motovisions.
DOT approved and plug N play.

Ken08Ninja
July 16th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Wow, thanks for the info.... those look cool.

Is it safe to assume they are still not DOT?
I believe the non-projector retros had to slightly enlarge the openings too.

No it is not DOT approved to mod the headlight. IMO the added field of view is worth the risk of getting a ticket. My local dealer is cool about inspections when the mods are to increase visibility.
Posted via Mobile Device

AnarchoMoltov
July 16th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I ordered a set of these http://www.suvlights.com/popup_image.php?pID=100&image=2 supposedly 80% more light than standard bulbs...it was about $50 after shipping.....I let you guys know if they are any good....

headshrink
July 16th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I'm pretty sure none of those HIDS are DOT approved.
Because you're basically putting an HID bulb into a non-projector/non-hid housing.
That's what I liked about the Motovisions.
DOT approved and plug N play.

No, I understand about the non-projector = non DOT, but since the F-sane has a projector, was wondering if it was OK..... but you also said non-HID housing, so shall I interpret that as a projector in a non-HID housing is still no go? In other words, you need a HID projector AND HID housing specifically.

Sailariel
July 16th, 2009, 04:48 PM
No disrespect to anyone, but I'm just not a believer in sticking HID's into housings/reflectors that were never intended for them.

You might want to check your Owner`s Manual again. To the best of my recollection, the 08 and 09 Ninja takes an H-7 bulb both for high and low beam.

headshrink
July 16th, 2009, 09:39 PM
They are H7, one for high and one for low. They are, however, in H4 adapters, but replace the bulbs only with H7. If you get a headlight modulator that plugs into the existing connectors, rather than splicing in, like this (http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/DIY_Comagination_Headlight_Modulator_Install)one, then you get the H4 version because of the adapters....... but always buy H7 bulbs.

mr.niftie
August 4th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Put them on yesterday.
Kudos to anyone who can change the bulbs on an '09 working blind!
I ended up taking the side fairing off and even then it was a pain.
So far, I like them. Hard to compare unless I had an '09 with stock bulbs next to me.
Don't worry about that orange tinge. It is so subtle, Johnny Law would never know!

shift_6
August 4th, 2009, 10:13 AM
i put hoen xenonmatch bulbs on my bike
stock to hoen xenonmatch is basically like these pics im gon link.
ALMOST as bright as the HID's in my GTI

Audi w/ Höen xenonmatch fog lamp (left) vs. stock lighting.
http://www.hoen-usa.com/cust_image/euroaaudi.jpg

Porsche Cayman H11 xenonmatch high beam
http://www.hoen-usa.com/cust08/caymanshighs.jpg

Höen light projection (left) vs. stock installed on Mitsubishi Evolution VIII.
http://www.hoen-usa.com/output/evo8.jpg

Höen (left) vs. stock bulbs on E36 M3.
http://www.hoen-usa.com/m3e36/hoenall.jpg

def worth the $30 for me

headshrink
September 8th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Update.... my first Silverstar Ultra burnt out today after ~9mo.

Sailariel
September 9th, 2009, 08:03 AM

The 08 and 09 use H-7 Bulbs.

adouglas
September 9th, 2009, 08:37 AM
EDIT: According to Internet reviews, some are saying the Silverstars have a tendency to burn out a little early (as early as 6-12 mo.), likely due to vibration.

Don't know the cause, but I can confirm the short bulb life on Silverstars. I tried these in my car, and after two failures in an unacceptably short time (a few months) I decided to stop throwing good money after bad.

I did like the color of the light, though.

DaBlue1
October 26th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I've had my Phillips Motovisions now for 1 yr 7 mths and I ride year round. I will more than likely replace them with the same when they burn out. The light beam goes out further and is much brighter than stock. There is a very slight orange glow in the reflector, but you have to be on the right angle to see. It also shows on the ground at the trailing edge of the light beam closer to the bike.

headshrink
October 26th, 2010, 12:15 PM
The 08 and 09 use H-7 Bulbs.

This is true.... so we should ONLY buy H7 bulbs.

However, for those who get the plug-in-play headlight modulators, we actually need the H4 connector. This is because, although we use H7 bulbs, they are connected to the bike via H4 adapters. I almost bought the wrong thing, but fortunately the folks as comagination told me this before I ordered.

Sailariel
October 26th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Doc, I have the Sylvania bulbs in my bike as well. They are a quantum leap over the OEM bulbs. I do think that I will--when the time comes, replace them with the Motovision bulbs by Phillips. Am also looking at the PIAA bulbs. I agree with you on the notion of putting HID lights into a housing which is optically designed for Halogen Bulbs. I have heard reports that XENON H-7 bulbs generate a lot of heat which can melt/distort the reflector housing. This is just what I have heard. I would be interested to hear some first hand experience people have had with XENON bulbs. They are reputed to put out a lot of light. Being an "old man" (Yikes, an LCSW retired since 91) I do very little night riding. I do, however, like to put out a lot of light during my daylight rides. Am always open to suggestions. All in all, I am having an incredibly good time with this 250. It really doesn't get any better.

Flashmonkey
October 26th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Doc, I have the Sylvania bulbs in my bike as well. They are a quantum leap over the OEM bulbs. I do think that I will--when the time comes, replace them with the Motovision bulbs by Phillips. Am also looking at the PIAA bulbs. I agree with you on the notion of putting HID lights into a housing which is optically designed for Halogen Bulbs. I have heard reports that XENON H-7 bulbs generate a lot of heat which can melt/distort the reflector housing. This is just what I have heard. I would be interested to hear some first hand experience people have had with XENON bulbs. They are reputed to put out a lot of light. Being an "old man" (Yikes, an LCSW retired since 91) I do very little night riding. I do, however, like to put out a lot of light during my daylight rides. Am always open to suggestions. All in all, I am having an incredibly good time with this 250. It really doesn't get any better.

I've put a lot of time researching lights, lighting retrofits, HID vs Halogen, etc, as the lighting on my Subaru is junk and I've been tinkering with the damn thing for the past 4 years.

Generally speaking, HID bulbs run cooler than your typical Halogen bulbs, but the incompatibility lies in the way an HID bulb puts out light vs a halogen bulb. This is why it's a bad idea to mix an HID bulb into a projector/reflector housing that was meant for a Halogen bulb. There's more here: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

He also goes into a "why HIDs aren't the be-all-end-all lighting system" here: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/disadvantages/disadvantages.html

There's tons of information there, and it isn't a short read, but it will definitely helps with the understanding of things.

With regards to the Philips Motovision bulbs, I have these on my bike and I love them! The output is excellent and they also have a neat orange tinge to them that's fairly noticeable. It's pretty gimmicky, and I don't know how successful it is at making people notice me (day or night), but they're great bulbs. I'm definitely going to stay with this brand.

Sailariel
October 27th, 2010, 11:27 AM
James, Thanks for the Heads Up on the Phillips Bulbs. I think that I will go that route with the Ninja and my cage. The Toyota Matrix has woefully pathetic lights.

lunerkid
February 12th, 2011, 01:13 AM
For the people who did buy the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs, are the bulbs the same size?
I noticed when I took out my OEM bulbs, they seemed to be bigger than the sylvania bulbs.
The contacts were also to smaller than OEM to plug into the housing.
I'd figure all H7 bulbs were exactly the same size.

lunerkid
February 12th, 2011, 02:09 AM
Nvm...silly me, it was the adapter.
Future reference, there is an adapter on the H7 light bulb when it is installed.

cuong-nutz
January 2nd, 2012, 05:38 PM
Thought I bump this up. I picked up a Motovision Bulb from Pepboys as I was trying to find a stock replacement for the turn signal bulb that went out. My stock bulb went out when my front end caught air and landed.

NDspd
January 2nd, 2012, 08:23 PM
I went with these instead: Philips H7 X-treme Power http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00480GZ9I

blink
January 3rd, 2012, 12:41 PM
My suggestion is to find a buddy in the states to buy some for you and then ship them to you.

+1

NDspd
January 4th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Ok, well for the Philips H7 X-treme Power, I can tell you the 80% more light is BS marketing, but I'd say there was a 25% increase in the length and brightness and is definitely whiter. It's still a warmer white, but is a good color to work with.