View Full Version : curious about 250 owners

scorpio_vette
July 10th, 2009, 04:26 PM
so not trying to be rude or stereotype. but i just really pictured the 250 to an absolute beginner bike and a small kids bike. but the more i seem to read on this forum, the more i seem to find a much older age group than i expected.

so i'm just curious as to what the age range on this forum is.

thought it might be kinda interesting to have like a small questionnaire:

1) How old are you???
2) Male or Female???
3) What year is your 250???
4) How long have you had your 250???
5) Is it your main transportation, or mostly for playing???
6) Do you tour with it, or do you have a different bike for that???
7) Why did you choose the 250, and not something bigger???

Since the bike is my wifes, i'll put her info in here.
1) 29
2) Female
3) 2007
4) little over 1 year
5) Main transportation except when going somewhere with the baby.
6) Longest trip was to a small bike rally 2hours away and I carried everything on the back of my cruiser
7) Out of all the bikes she sat on she felt most comfortable on that. she says the "combat" position feels better than
stretching out and relaxing (doesn't make any sense to me. but ok).

Sailariel
July 10th, 2009, 05:10 PM
1)68,2)Male3)2008,4)1year--have been riding 50 years. 5)Main in the summer and fall.6)Yes--No

tjkamper
July 10th, 2009, 05:56 PM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9937

This link should give you a good Idea of how old most people on this forum are.

1)27,2)Male3)2009,4)1year--have been riding 11 years. 5)I ride as long there is no snow on the road,6)I think the fewest miles I ever put in on a regular week day is 60. Sometimes I ride up to 180 miles in a day. 7)fun, looks, cheap, easy to work on, i don't have any need to do 160 mph.

noche_caliente
July 10th, 2009, 06:09 PM
1) 29 - for the first time really!
2) Female
3) 2008
4) Since 8/6/08
5) a little bit of both
6) only bike - no touring because of my son - when he's home, I spend my time with him - I only ride to/from work or during naps
7) No need for something bigger - I still haven't used all the power of my baby and doubt I ever will

Snake
July 10th, 2009, 06:15 PM
1) 42
2) Male
3) 2005
4) A little over 4 years
5) Main transportation and for playing on the weekends.
6) I use it riding down the twisties and for touring. Longest ride was almost 300 miles one way and everything was carried on the bike.
7) I have had bigger bikes in the past and wanted something economical to buy, good on gas, dependable, fun to ride, easy to work on and looked very sexy. This bike fit all those requirements and then some.

backinthesaddleagain
July 10th, 2009, 06:25 PM
1 - 45
2 - M
3 - '09
4 - 8 mos
5 - commute to work and playing
6 - any roads between home and work
7- price, price, price, fun factor, low insurance, style, price

capt_bugaloo
July 10th, 2009, 07:27 PM
1) 42, been street riding since 1992.
2) Male
3) 2008
4) Since April 2008
5) 50-50. I commute in nicer weather, but also play on the weekend.
6) Not yet...
7) The 250 is big enough.

ninjabrewer
July 10th, 2009, 08:00 PM
male,
8 months,
it is my main mode of transport at the moment, and I do use it for playing, got it because 60 MPG, I am a new rider, 60 MPG, got it from a friend, 60 MPG, I was going to need another vehicle soon anyway, midlife crisis is on the horizon. Oh, did mention that I got it because it gets 60 MPG on average.

nb

Flashmonkey
July 10th, 2009, 08:02 PM
1) 27
2) Male
3) 2006
4) 7 months
5) This bike is mainly for playing, but will be commuting with it more to save money
6) First and only bike, this may change in the near future.
7) I'm fairly new and had no idea how i would take to this sport....and this particular 250 was being sold for a decent price 2 minutes from my house.

Bsmith
July 10th, 2009, 08:57 PM
1) 38
2) Male
3) '08
4) about a year
5) Both depending on the arthritis and weather
6) Only bike. Don't tour due to kids
7) I've had bigger bikes and I would get my self in more trouble than I already do.

Nickds7
July 10th, 2009, 09:24 PM
1) 19
2) Male
3) 09
4) 4mo
5) Both, Still have a truck but ride the bike 98% of the time.
6) Only bike, no touring.
7) Cheap, not as hard to get into trouble. (plus I fully support myself, so I dont want to spend $10k on a bike...although I could but nah)

Nemy
July 10th, 2009, 10:55 PM
1-24
2-M
3-09
4-including my last 250 - 2 years
5-main transportation is still playing!
6-yes - anywhere and everywhere
7-insurance, gas, MSRP, and cause the 250 is fun!

addy126
July 10th, 2009, 11:07 PM
1. Over 45
2. Female
3. 2007 and the new 2009
4. Long enuff to know its a very substantial mode of transportation not to mention sexy looking and draws attention
5. Main, Touring and Play
6. Can hit 100 mph, zip thru the city, nimble, excellent gas mileage, insurance and parts cost effective
7. Can wrap myself around a tree, guardrail, and cager just as quickly as you and your big bike.......

So do not demean a "250" my friend. It's a sportscar compared to the lazyboy cruiser style! It's all about the ride.....:nahnahnah:

sombo
July 10th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Well I would agree with it fitting as a beginner bike but not a kids bike. A bike that's capable of 0-60mph in just over 5secs, 1/4-mile in around 15secs @88mph with possible top speed around 100+ is not what I would consider a kids bike, but that's me.

1) 32
2) Male
3) 1995
4) about 5 months
5) a little of both, I prefer the bike but the weather/situation doesn't always allow for the bike
6) fist and only bike atm and haven't toured yet but am considering taking it to Myrtle Beach from Orlando for vacation
7) I'm a beginner and this is the best beginner bike. Also, I don't feel the need for a bike that can't be used to it's limits on the road. It was inexpensive, comfortable, economic, fun, fast enough for me, has tons of mods and has a MASSIVE following of fans. You can't go wrong with owning one.

komohana
July 11th, 2009, 12:30 AM
1) 46
2) M
3) 2003
4) 1 yr. this Aug.
5) Playing, but do commute w/bike too!
6) Live on island in middle of ocean...touring w/250!
7) I was looking for something bigger! But a good deal plus a test ride that showed me the handling of this baby and I was hooked!

SteveL
July 11th, 2009, 04:01 AM
1 62 years
2 Male
3 2009
4 7th March 2009
5 Commuting I also have three cars
6 No
7 Big enough for my commute.

Steve

Rayme
July 11th, 2009, 04:34 AM
1) 27
2) Male
3) 2008
4) Almost a year
5) Main transportation in the summer.
6) I occasionnaly do 300 KM + tours
7) I wanted something relatively new at low cost...and a bigger bike is something I don't need now. I also havea sub 500cc license.

adouglas
July 11th, 2009, 05:25 AM
1) 50
2) Male
3) Don't have one yet. It'll be an 08-09 when I do get it, or even a 10 if I don't get enough saved in time.
4) See above. I did have an 89 EX500 some years ago that I rode for about five years. Sold it because I wasn't using it at the time.
5) Good weather commuting, playing.
6) One bike only. I did a week-long tour on my 500 and would consider doing it on the 250, but don't have specific plans.

7) This is the most important question. I firmly believe that you should always use the right tool for the job, and not be blinded by irrelevancies. Americans are convinced that bigger/more is automatically better... an attitude that has always annoyed the heck out of me.

I do not need a bike that gets to 60 mph in three seconds.
I do not need a bike that can go 150 mph.
I do not need a bike that will do wheelies and stoppies on command at any speed.
I do not need a bike that will impress anyone.

I do need a bike that will handle well.
I do need a bike that I can ride on the highway and that is as fast/quick as my car.
I do need a bike with good ergonomics. This is MOST IMPORTANT. I do need a bike that fits me. I'm a short guy -- 5'7" with a 30" inseam. You always hear that if you're experienced, just having your toes on the ground is fine and sure, you can do that. I can do that because I've got enough experience. Or you can lower the bike. But why in creation would I want to do either of those things? They're just rationalizations. Kawasaki wants $300+ for a one-inch shorter 650r seat, for cryin' out loud.

If I have a lightweight bike I can flat-foot, I can maneuver it around in my driveway easily. If I come to a stop on an uneven surface I won't have to go hunting for the ground. Having a seat that's too high is a great big pain in the a$$.

If you're of average height for a male, try this little experiment to gain an appreciation for what all of us danged midgets have to put up with. Say you've got a bike with a 31" seat height, and your inseam is 32". Go put a two-inch phone book on your seat to make it an inch higher than your inseam and hop on the bike. Maneuver it around in your driveway. Better still, try moving the bike against a slope. Go ahead. Try it. Then come back and tell us that flat-footing is no big deal.

And it's not just seat height. On a bigger bike I have to lean forward more to reach the controls, which puts more weight on my wrists than should be there, which is uncomfortable.

Why not just ride a bike that fits me physically?

I choose the 250 because it fits me, does exactly what I need it to do, handles well, is fast enough to get me arrested in any state in the union, gets great gas mileage and is cheap to buy, maintain and insure.

Who needs a bigger bike?

CZroe
July 11th, 2009, 06:05 AM
1) How old are you???
2) Male or Female???
Male
Almost one year
Primary transportation; don't even own a car
Took it all the way across the country. Also drove it 600 miles from the dealer to get home.
Simple: Price and fuel economy. No larger bike can match it in both categories.

1) 29 - for the first time really!
2) Female
3) 2008
4) Since 8/6/08
5) a little bit of both
6) only bike - no touring because of my son - when he's home, I spend my time with him - I only ride to/from work or during naps
7) No need for something bigger - I still haven't used all the power of my baby and doubt I ever will

That's the same day I bought mine. ;) It was the last shipment of '08 bikes and this particular dealer got four of them (540 miles away!) a few days earlier. After another dealer told me mine was canceled, I called those guys one day after the unexpected shipment arrived, which was just in time to reserve the last one. It was "unexpected" because they were not supposed to receive the orders from another dealer they purchased due to Kawasaki rationing bikes per dealer (due to demand). I lucked out, but I wasn't about to give up. That was actually the third dealer where the first sold a my bike to someone else. I had a deposit on it and called every day asking if it had arrived. It was no accident. :mad: Georgians, avoid Cycle City Powersports in Newnan. Their service and accessories departments seem fine, but SCREW the sales staff.

male,
8 months,
it is my main mode of transport at the moment, and I do use it for playing, got it because 60 MPG, I am a new rider, 60 MPG, got it from a friend, 60 MPG, I was going to need another vehicle soon anyway, midlife crisis is on the horizon. Oh, did mention that I got it because it gets 60 MPG on average.

nb

HA! Lemme ask... was MPG a consideration? ;)

1 62 years
2 Male
3 2009
4 7th March 2009
5 Commuting I also have three cars
6 No
7 Big enough for my commute.

Steve
Wait, I know that not all regions got all colors for 2008, but did you guys actually get different colors for 2009? I ask because, though you say "2009," it appears that you have a "Kawasaki Green" bike when they only make the Special Edition Green/White/Black for 2009. I've heard that in the UK the vehicle registration shows the year it was purchased regardless of the year model, but I'd be hard to imagine an unsold '08 staying in the shop for five months (Kawi canceled the rest of the '08s at the beginning of August).

lockie
July 11th, 2009, 07:27 AM
1) 59
2) Male
3) 2009
4) 3 months
5) playing and some commuting
6) Not yet...just some long day trips
7) Looked good... beginner bike for someone learning to ride again. Great handling and reliable. Also there's a local dealer and I live in a isolated location. Plenty of performance.

sugarbear
July 11th, 2009, 07:55 AM
1) How old are you???
2) Male or Female???
female
January 2009
Playing!
Have a Sport/Touring bike for touring
Sexy bike, entry level sportbike priced very reasonably, great reviews on it, great gas mileage

SteveL
July 11th, 2009, 08:40 AM
1) How old are you???
2) Male or Female???
Male
Almost one year
Primary transportation; don't even own a car
Took it all the way across the country. Also drove it 600 miles from the dealer to get home.
Simple: Price and fuel economy. No larger bike can match it in both categories.

That's the same day I bought mine. ;) It was the last shipment of '08 bikes and this particular dealer got four of them (540 miles away!) a few days earlier. After another dealer told me mine was canceled, I called those guys one day after the unexpected shipment arrived, which was just in time to reserve the last one. It was "unexpected" because they were not supposed to receive the orders from another dealer they purchased due to Kawasaki rationing bikes per dealer (due to demand). I lucked out, but I wasn't about to give up. That was actually the third dealer where the first sold a my bike to someone else. I had a deposit on it and called every day asking if it had arrived. It was no accident. :mad: Georgians, avoid Cycle City Powersports in Newnan. Their service and accessories departments seem fine, but SCREW the sales staff.

HA! Lemme ask... was MPG a consideration? ;)

Wait, I know that not all regions got all colors for 2008, but did you guys actually get different colors for 2009? I ask because, though you say "2009," it appears that you have a "Kawasaki Green" bike when they only make the Special Edition Green/White/Black for 2009. I've heard that in the UK the vehicle registration shows the year it was purchased regardless of the year model, but I'd be hard to imagine an unsold '08 staying in the shop for five months (Kawi canceled the rest of the '08s at the beginning of August).

Delivery of the Special edition ion green model to Switzerland was from the beginning of May I would not have bought one as I don’t like it. I was at the Zurich bike show in February and they did not have the special edition on display or any mention of it.

Grn99Kawi
July 11th, 2009, 08:50 AM
1) 37
2) Male
3) 1999
4) 4 months
5) Fair weather commuter... I have a daily driver Mustang and a garage queen Mustang
6) I commute mostly and do group rides sometimes
7) I got a good deal on mine. It needed some TLC that I was more than happy to provide. it is my first bike and a lot of fun. Sometimes I think of getting something wiith just a bit more power, but it keeps up with traffic and my buddies on their bikes (up until exceeding highway speed).

postie1686
July 11th, 2009, 08:56 AM
1) 23
2) Male
3) 2008
4) april 13th 2008
5) both (was supposed to be cheaper on gas then my truck, but i fill it so many times a week cause i ride it all over, that, it no longer applys! hahaha
6) yep
7) 1. got mine for 3,350 out the door
2. good beginner bike
3. its all i need. (it hits 100 mph way over the speed limits anyway)
4. insurance is $112 a year for full ( a 600cc would have been $1,200)
5. easy to do all your own work on.
6. most girls dont know its a 250 :eek: :D:D

conchwanab
July 11th, 2009, 09:03 AM
1)38
2)male
3)2008
4)1 yr
5)main for most of the year
6)work,tour,everything
7)price, and my new adventure into street bikes

almost40
July 11th, 2009, 11:56 AM
1) How old are you
2) Male or Female
m
3) What year is your
4) How long have you had your
1 year 3 months
5) Is it your main transportation, or mostly for playing
playing/trackbike
6) Do you tour with it, or do you have a different bike for that
My Cobalt SS
7) Why did you choose the 250, and not something bigger
Had bigger The 250 is just too much fun in the twistys and on the track
Easy to work on. Cheap to maintain. Oh that sexy new bodywork.

adouglas
July 11th, 2009, 12:57 PM
You should add a question about experience. That way you'll find out how many are newbs and how many are seasoned riders who don't buy into the "beginner bike" myth.

Jarod
July 11th, 2009, 01:06 PM
1) How old are you???

2) Male or Female???
Male

A few weeks

Playing for now, probably will become primary transport after I've got my licence.

The 250 does it all.

Partly because I like a lighter bike you can flick around a bit more, and partly because I dont want something that goes 100mph in 1st gear.

Additionally, I have been riding dirt bikes, atvs, snowmobiles, and everything else you can imagine before. So I'm fairly new to riding on the road, but I already know the basics pretty well.

Alex
July 11th, 2009, 01:07 PM
That way you'll find out how many are newbs and how many are seasoned riders who don't buy into the "beginner bike" myth.

I don't think there is a beginner bike myth. I think the ninjette is a fantastic beginner bike. It just happens to be a fun bike for those who are no longer beginners as well.

Cedilla
July 11th, 2009, 03:48 PM
(1)Just turned 20
(2)Male
(3)2009
(4)A month and a half
(5)It took place as my primary transportation the minute it left the dealer
(6)I would prefer to have a bigger bike for touring
(7)low price point,wanted to learn on something tame, all the good reviews i read, and I have wanted a ninja 250 since I was around 10, so it just made since.

Nny
July 11th, 2009, 04:24 PM
1) How old are you???

2) Male or Female???
male

Just over a month

As long as there isn't snow on the ground - both

Most I have put on in a day was 200 miles. Was trying for 300-400 but a screw in the tire cut that trip in half. I also have a different bike for that. Besides, I have only had the bike for a month. Those days will come.

Flickability, 60mpg, insurance, flickability, MSRP, easy maintainance, flickability, plenty of passing power....oh and my girl is willing to learn on it. Did I mention how easy this this is to toss around?

BlueRaven
July 11th, 2009, 09:42 PM
1) How old are you??? 36
2) Male or Female??? Female
3) What year is your 250??? 2009
4) How long have you had your 250??? since March '09
5) Is it your main transportation, or mostly for playing??? playing cause too tired before going to work to ride it safely
6) Do you tour with it, or do you have a different bike for that??? usually go on 200+ kms rides as i can only ride on sundays cause i work 2 jobs and have to catch up ;)
Well was originally looking for a 500R but then saw the new 250 and feel in love plus much cheaper, very sexy, wanted a ninja since like forever, voted the best beginner bike and only licenced for 550cc and under. Forgot to mention going through a midlife crisis and the bike seemed like a perfect start for recovery ;).

Neema12
July 12th, 2009, 12:37 AM
1) 22 years old
2) Male
3) 2002 Ninja 250
4) I purchased the bike on my b-day, so its exactly 1 month old to me :)
5) I own a car so I use the bike for pleasure, riding around town, to school sometimes, and on weekends.
6) I don't ride too far on the bike yet so I use the car if I need to travel.
7) I bought a 250 for a first bike so I still have the rest of my life to upgrade. I was attracted to the low insurance, cheap parts, good gas, light weight, nimble turning abilities, and simple to repair motor. I am most excited about the fact I can actually use all my gears and redline the bike. :thumbup:

MtnCruiser
July 12th, 2009, 01:49 AM
1. 44 Years Old
2. Male
3. 2 2004 Ninja 250's
4. 4 Months
5. Sold my old beater truck so the Ninja is currently my main means of transportation during the week and on the weekends it is for pleasure.
6. I don't use the ninja for touring, hopefully in the not too distant future I will be getting a Goldwing for long distance 2-up rides. One of the things that I really like about the Ninja's is that I can easily load both of them into the back of my Dodge Dakota when we want to take a trip.
7. My wife also rides but she has always ridden cruisers. She decided that she was willing to give something different a try so I bought the 2 Ninjas. She is loving the Ninja and now she understands why I prefer a standard or sport bike over a cruiser. Most of our riding is in the Mtns. so the little Ninjas are perfect.

I've been riding for 30 years and have owned all kinds of bikes, I honestly think I am enjoying the Ninja as much if not more than any other bike that I have owned. My last bike was a VTX 1300. I still ride with a lot of friends that I met on the VTX site. When we went on our first ride I think they thought the 250's would have a hard time keeping up with them, they soon found out that I had no problems and that when we got into the twisties it was actually them who had a hard time keeping up.

TigerBlue
July 12th, 2009, 11:37 AM
1) 24
2) Male
3) 2009
4) September 2008, I wanted an 08 but all out and a local dealer had 1 2009, so I snatched it.
5) I ride it to work 3-4 days a week when the wife takes the kids to daycare, and I ride it as much as I can. Rode it all winter, even in 15-30 degree days.
6) I haven't rode super long rides, but I have ridden 150+ miles during some backroad rides, a few times.
7) Money was an issue, as was insurance price. Wanted something good to learn a lot on and I feel it is a great learner bike where you can get away with some newb mistakes that you may not be able to do on a bigger bike.

k-os
July 12th, 2009, 12:09 PM
1) 19
2) Male
3) 2008
4) Since October 2008.
5) Main transportation to school.
6) Haven't had any long trip yet.
7) I initially wanted to get a 600, because I had been riding for a year, but the insurance on the 250 is great. ($200 a year full coverage)

NoobNinja
July 12th, 2009, 01:56 PM
1) How old are you???
2) Male or Female???

1) 23
2) man
3) 2009
4) about 2 weeks
5) playing its my first street bike
6) i dont tour with it but i can go for a day long ride on it
7) i chose it because after alot of research and talking to my uncle who races a full track bred gsx-r 750 that would be my best choice for a first bike. if i drop it or blow it up it'll be cheap to replace and its not fast enough that i can get into too much trouble and that it has a good resale value when i decide im comfortable on the road to step up

Lars
July 13th, 2009, 06:48 AM
1) 26
2) Male
3) '09
4) Just over 3 months
5) Mostly for playing, but it sometimes is my main transportation depending on the weather and other things planned.
6) I have done a couple of camping trips with it, its ok for it.
7) In my research, it became clear that the Ninja 250r was the "de facto" starting sportbike. I certainly could have started out with something bigger (500, 650r, etc), but the fact that the 250 is a great bike to learn on, and that I'll get most of my money back on it when I decide to upgrade made my decision fairly easy.

BlueTyke
July 13th, 2009, 08:38 AM
1) How old are you??? 29 (for the first time for real, well in Oct. anyway)
2) Male or Female??? Female
3) What year is your 250??? 2006
4) How long have you had your 250??? Since May 2006
5) Is it your main transportation, or mostly for playing??? Fun fun!
6) Do you tour with it, or do you have a different bike for that??? I have! No other bike. I have gone for overnight trips, I have done 454 miles in one day, could have been more but I stopped to eat :D
7) Why did you choose the 250, and not something bigger??? I know my limits. I know my learning style. I am a progressive learner and felt that the 250 suited what I needed. I sat on it and fell in love with it. As a point of fact. Tyke was the first 250 I sat on. I have since sat on no other 250 in fear that she will get retribution... (So kidding). On that note I have also not sat behind any other rider either. :)

jola
July 13th, 2009, 09:23 AM
1) How old are you??? - 22
2) Male or Female??? - Male
3) What year is your 250??? - 2000
4) How long have you had your 250??? - Almost a month
5) Is it your main transportation, or mostly for playing??? - Pleasure
6) Do you tour with it, or do you have a different bike for that??? - It is my only bike, so yes.
7) Why did you choose the 250, and not something bigger??? - Cash money.

beowuff
July 13th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Since both my wife and I ride 250s, I'm posting stats for both of us. :P

1) Wife: 27, Me: 32
2) Wife: Female Me: Male
3) Both are 2007 bought new. First bikes for each of us. Hers: Red. Mine: Blue (blues faster! :P)
4) Got them delivered in... May, 07, so... 2 years, 2 months...
5) Wife: Fair weather rider. Me: Main transportation, touring, fun, everything!
6) Currently, I do all kinds of riding with my bike. Riding in hail can be scary, but fun too! My wife is a pretty much fair weather rider, but we always do a long touring trip in August together. I would like to pick up something like a BMW 1200GS to do some dirt/trail riding and maybe longer distance touring involving more gear... Maybe 2 up also.
7) When I told my wife I wanted a bike, she said... "No, unless I get one too!" So, it was nice being able to afford 2 bikes with the 250. Also, I had done extensive reading on bikes, and liked things like gas mileage, being able to ride the slab if needed, fun and "flickable". It just sounded like the perfect bike. And it is!

HKr1
July 13th, 2009, 02:23 PM
thought it might be kinda interesting to have like a small questionnaire:

1) How old are you???
2) Male or Female???

40's
Both
Since Feb08
No, just for fun
No, different bike yes. It doesnt tour thou...
Tried to talk her into a 600cc bike. She wasnt having it since the 250r was so nimble & cute :)

CZroe
July 15th, 2009, 12:48 AM
40's
Both
Since Feb08
No, just for fun
No, different bike yes. It doesnt tour thou...
Tried to talk her into a 600cc bike. She wasnt having it since the 250r was so nimble & cute :)

:confused:

I know. I know. You share it with your "other half" (SO).

nate-bama
July 15th, 2009, 01:53 PM
1. 29
2. M
3. 2006
4. Apr 09
5. Main trans.
6. No cant imagine wanting to tour on this
7. Damn Economy, but i like my bike

Momaru
July 15th, 2009, 02:21 PM
1) 25 (only just)
2) Male
3) 2008
4) Since 10/15/08 (9 months today!)
5) It's pleasure but would be main transport if I could get away with it (have to do some cargo work for my job)
6) I've done touring (~300 miles one-way) with it
7) Several reasons: She's my first bike so I'm definitely still learning & wanna play it smart. I'm not a speed demon so no real interest in literbikes or 650s. Also wasn't 100% sure I'd like motorcycling long-term, so minimal investment cost if I changed my mind. For those wondering, no I haven't changed my mind; love it, in no small part due to the members of this forum and my blue ninjette (whom I've no plans to sell anytime soon, if at all)

sofo
July 15th, 2009, 03:52 PM
1) 36
2) Male
3) 2009
4) I ride it home from the dealer this Saturday!
5) Half and half
6) Not yet, but I have some trips planned with a backpack and tank bag in mind
7) It's my first motorcycle, and I like the idea of starting small and moving up to something bigger if and when it feels right. I like the power, comfort, light and nimble feel and it looks pretty damn cool too!

Apex
July 15th, 2009, 04:03 PM
1) How old are you???

2) Male or Female???
Male

a while

both, I have a car, but I try to ride whenever possible

Wife doesn't like me to take trips on it, so I don't. I would if she'd give the ok. I dont' want to make her worry.

Cheap, easy to maintain, parts readily available, good gas mileage. cheap to insure.

scorpio_vette
July 15th, 2009, 08:08 PM
1)
Wife doesn't like me to take trips on it, so I don't. I would if she'd give the ok. I dont' want to make her worry.

just on a quick note. statistics show that most accidents happen within 5-10miles of ones home. mostly due to the fact that "it's familiar", and therefore you let your guard down more than when you are in unfamiliar territory.

also it's a fact that the freeway is one of the safest places to be, because it's a "generally consistent speed", no cross-traffic, side streets or other hazzards that you encounter in the city or backroads.

and if that doesn't calm your wife enough, give her these 2 examples which i like to use.

1) a few years back a mother and daughter were driving together in a car down hwy95 when a dump truck jumped the center median and landed square on top of their car killing them both...............................hell.......they didn't do anything wrong, but S**T happens.

2) i always figured i'd die on my bike. well i almost died in my bedroom last wednesday night. IN MY BEDROOM DUDE. :D:D:D now i have a "broken neck" herniated disk in upper part of my neck, and if it gets worse i'll need neck surgery. so much for motorcycles being dangerous huh??? LOL

ok sorry for the sidetrack. just wanted to point out to him that while i can respect peoples concern, life is to short to worry about the little things.

ninjabrewer
July 15th, 2009, 10:06 PM
also it's a fact that the freeway is one of the safest places to be, because it's a "generally consistent speed", no cross-traffic, side streets or other hazzards that you encounter in the city or backroads.

Have you ever rode/drove in California? :eek:

2) i always figured i'd die on my bike. well i almost died in my bedroom last wednesday night. IN MY BEDROOM DUDE. :D:D:D now i have a "broken neck" herniated disk in upper part of my neck, and if it gets worse i'll need neck surgery. so much for motorcycles being dangerous huh??? LOL

I'm not even going to ask, as much as I am dying too. ;)

tjkamper
July 16th, 2009, 05:32 AM
just on a quick note. statistics show that most accidents happen within 5-10miles of ones home. mostly due to the fact that "it's familiar", and therefore you let your guard down more than when you are in unfamiliar territory.

and if that doesn't calm your wife enough, give her these 2 examples which i like to use.

1) a few years back a mother and daughter were driving together in a car down hwy95 when a dump truck jumped the center median and landed square on top of their car killing them both...............................hell.......they didn't do anything wrong, but S**T happens.

ok sorry for the sidetrack. just wanted to point out to him that while i can respect peoples concern, life is to short to worry about the little things.

I totally agree with you. You could chock on a potato chip and die while watching T.V.

Sure some activities are higher risk than others, but if you find ways to control the risk and be prepared, you are no worst off than those who are unprepared in less risky activity.

Be prepared and know that S**T happens. Take care, minimize the amount of stupid things you do and be safe.

revstriker
July 16th, 2009, 05:57 AM
1) How old are you??? 42
2) Male or Female??? Male
3) What year is your 250??? 2009
4) How long have you had your 250??? 2 Weeks (started riding over 20 years ago)
5) Is it your main transportation, or mostly for playing??? For commuting to work a couple of time a week.
6) Do you tour with it, or do you have a different bike for that??? No.
7) Why did you choose the 250, and not something bigger??? Was looking for something small and fun to use for occasional commuting to work. I don't really have a current need for a bigger bike.

00v_Lucky
July 17th, 2009, 12:10 AM
1) 18 but almost 19 :D
2) Male
3) '09
4) About a year
5) Use my baby for commuting to school,run errands, and to get to meetings and such during high traffic times :thumbup:
6) Touring is done on my '06 rsx ;)
7) Chose the 250 for the basic reasons, affordability, forgiving throttle, and gas efficiency.

bobaab
July 17th, 2009, 12:41 PM
1) 23
2) Male
3) 2001
4) I've had my bike for 26 days, started riding 22 days ago :)
5) I commute to work with this! A nice 50 miles each day to commute on a nice day. I've put over 1000 miles on the bike already!
6) The longest cruise for me has been 4.5 hours so far. It was a leisurely cruise of about 80 miles total.
7) Well, it's a good starter bike and looks great, gets great gas mileage, and I want to actually LEARN how to ride. I also don't want to die just yet!

istreefitty
July 18th, 2009, 02:36 AM
I used to own an RSX-S and I loved it. I wanted to keep that untill the K20 fell out!!!!! One day though I was bending over to get my new born son out of the back seat (if you could call it that) and hit my head on the celing and almost dropped the baby (he was safely buckled in his seat. On that day I decided to get a new sedan, but my wife had different plans. You see she convenced me to buy her the IS350, and then convinced me to take her old car 04 AWD mountaineer (i still do not know how she did that :confused:) The good news is I got to get my bike and eventally a new TV. I really wish I had a paid off type s to work on though........or an NSX. Sooo here are my stats

1) 24
2) dude
3) 20090
4) Ive owned the bike for 2 days but still cant ride it untill my DL gets in (im out of state ATM)
5)this is used to combat the rediculously high gas prices of HI, and still have fun
6) havent ridden it yet!!!
7) I wanted to learn on a manageable bike, plus cant own a SS bike for first year of operating a motorcycle (stupid military), and all the 500cc bikes look like garbage (no offense)

ninjabrewer
July 18th, 2009, 08:39 AM
cant own a SS bike for first year of operating a motorcycle (stupid military),

If you knew how many Soldiers have been killed riding SS bikes as a first bike, you wouldn't say that. Soldiers come home after being deployed for 12-15 months, pockets full of cash, go buy a hot bike and get killed on it within weeks. After OIF 06-08, we got motorcycle safety briefs on what seemed like a weekly basis because somebody got killed on their bike. I think AVN Brigade lost about 6 or 8 in the first 3 months we were back. (maybe it was within the division, its been awhile). That is why they started all the requirements for riding a bike. When we got back, we couldn't drive a car for te first 24 hours we were back. To me that was no big deal, we got back late afternoon, ceremony, find bags, get home, go out to eat, go to bed EARLY, stay in bed next day, etc, etc, you get the idea.

nb

websniper
July 18th, 2009, 09:14 AM
1) How old are you??? 28
2) Male or Female??? Male
3) What year is your 250??? 2001
4) How long have you had your 250??? 10 Mo.
5) Is it your main transportation, or mostly for playing??? For me, it's for play. Occasionaly transportation, I wish I could more often, but having to haul equipment for work doesn't allow for it.
6) Do you tour with it, or do you have a different bike for that??? No touring for me at this time.
7) Why did you choose the 250, and not something bigger???Because I'm responsible and mature enough to understand that, unlike all the other "big bike" forums say, it's not just about being able to control your wrist. Some things are out of your control, and as a new rider, the 250 is extremely forgiving to mistakes I've made just because I'm new to this, not because I'm irresponsible or immature. And, now that I've ridden it, frankly, for me it's about 90% (maybe more)of the bike I will EVER need. Oh yeah, and it was cheap! :D

kursst
July 18th, 2009, 10:23 AM
1) 32
2) Female
3) 2009
4) 3 months
5) Mostly for playing.
6) Not yet. It is my first and only bike.
7) I'm a beginner. Plus it's perfect for a petite person like me. :o)

dimeified
July 18th, 2009, 10:42 AM
1) 26 years old
2) Male
3) 2009
4) 1 week
5) playing
6) no touring, just puttsing around town learning to ride
7) I chose the 250 over a larger bike for many reasons. #1, i didn't want to spend a fortune, it seems nice and light, and easy to manuever at slow speeds. I dont plan on doing alot of highway riding, and i dont want to get myself killed cracking the throttle as the newbie i am. Down the road i would like to purchase something bigger, but i think i'll still be keeping this bike because its so damn fun.

istreefitty
July 18th, 2009, 01:21 PM
If you knew how many Soldiers have been killed riding SS bikes as a first bike, you wouldn't say that. Soldiers come home after being deployed for 12-15 months, pockets full of cash, go buy a hot bike and get killed on it within weeks. After OIF 06-08, we got motorcycle safety briefs on what seemed like a weekly basis because somebody got killed on their bike. I think AVN Brigade lost about 6 or 8 in the first 3 months we were back. (maybe it was within the division, its been awhile). That is why they started all the requirements for riding a bike. When we got back, we couldn't drive a car for te first 24 hours we were back. To me that was no big deal, we got back late afternoon, ceremony, find bags, get home, go out to eat, go to bed EARLY, stay in bed next day, etc, etc, you get the idea.

nb

I KINDA understand your point, and believe me if we were at work I wouldnt even argue with you ( i can shut up and color with the rest of them). There a few problems with the PACOM rule though. Did any one ever stop to think that PACOM is the only MAJCOM (what ever you call it) with these dumb ass rules?? There are soldiers/marines/airmen/seamen everywhere that do waht you described, but the difference is everywhere else realizes that size restrictions is not the answer. I mean there are plenty of cases of service memebers dealing with trauma in the field, redeploying, and beating their families, but that doesnt mean that a rule should be in place where I cant see my family untill 5 days after I get back. What about alcohol consumption? These are all very big issues after a deployment, but they arent addressed in formal rulings (more or less addressed by chaplain, family support, ect).

Now that Im off my soapbox, lets talk about the real reason the motorcycle rule is in place, to make some general/admiral look good. I know through my experience (only 5.5years) most all the assinine dumb rules I have experienced have spawned from one of these things : 1) alcohol related incident/death 2)Major Wing/Group/Base inspection that was failed or barely passed or 3) as a result of a change of command (particularly by full birds trying to get their star). I mean lets cut the BS and call a spade a spade, This rule is in place because PACOM is NOTORIOUS for dumbass ****** rules like this. Take AF PT for instance. We are having stricter PT standards enforced (good idea) not because the SECAF wanted it but because PACOM commanders have stricter rules and funded their own audit of people in the AF. I mean I guess what has to be said is "I could be happy on base, or I could be in HI." I just hope some command sponsored "general bashing team" doesnt scour the internet and find my post. :soapbox:

voigter
July 18th, 2009, 01:29 PM
1) How old are you??? - 38

2) Male or Female??? - Male

3) What year is your 250??? - 2004

4) How long have you had your 250??? - About 5 weeks

5) Is it your main transportation, or mostly for playing??? - mostly for playing

6) Do you tour with it, or do you have a different bike for that??? - no

7) Why did you choose the 250, and not something bigger??? - after months of research, the 250 was presented as the best bike for a beginner rider that I am.

sombo
July 20th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I actually have to disagree with you on the military motorcycle ruling there Mike. All branches in the military have been doing studies and making new programs and new rules regarding motorcycle deaths and the military. They have seen as much as a 30% increase in motorcycle deaths in all branches of the military in the last year. Nearly 85-90% of them were on SS class bikes according to their studies. They were starting to see months with more deaths on bikes in the states then in the field overseas. This prompted the military leaders to start taking drastic measures to secure the safety of their personnel.

What was happening was young soldiers just in their early 20's would return home from combat in the middle east with tons of cash, lots of ego, and no restrictions on what they could get. So they get their license, they have tons of money to burn, they get peer pressure of other young riders thinking they need the biggest, baddest, fastest bike in production, and they also have the mindset of being invincible and therefore get a bike they can't control. If that wasn't bad enough they then turn around and ride irresponsibly with little to no gear, speeding down the highway at 150+, doing wheelies and stoppies down public roads. I've seen way too many riders fitting this description near military bases to say it's an exaggeration. This lead to the higher deaths which then lead to the leaders taking drastic measures. I'm sure you don't fit that profile and I'm glad you're here on ninjette taking advantage of what our little bike has to offer and what this site/community has to offer as well. Just stick it out and use this time to become a better rider and learn from the mistakes your fellow soldiers have made in the past that have caused these latest restrictions.

rogue.guineapig
July 21st, 2009, 03:48 AM
1) How old are you???
26, just turned
2) Male or Female???
Male
4,000 miles and 8 months.
yes.
yes.
Because I knew that it was a forgiving bike and I saw a lot of retards on YouTube
thinking they had it under control and then wiping out. It occurred to me that all newbs are the same.
Also, I knew it was light and flickable. And boy is it!
Additionally, I've loved the look of a Ninja for a LOOOONG time...way before I even liked bikes.

andrewexd
August 11th, 2009, 07:14 PM
1) How old are you???
2) Male or Female???

1. 17 this past june
2. male
3. 2008
4. a little over a month
5. both, although I could borrow a car anytime.
6. never really toured...
8. My father would never allow it, its cheap, good mpg, looks good, easier to learn on, less chance of me killing myself statistically, fast enough (for now), light enough to maneuver and not too heavy or too tall. thats about it...

Strider
August 11th, 2009, 07:29 PM
1) How old are you???
2) Male or Female???
- Male
- one full year
- Main ride for commuting (or was until the crash, now waiting to get it back!)
- The 250 is all the bike I'll ever need :)
- Why get anything bigger? All the fun people know the 250 is the best bike around :cool: Bigger doesn't mean Better