View Full Version : Sailariel is back

Sailariel
July 10th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Had my eye surgery yesterday and it was a huge sucess. I can now see out of my left eye. The only restriction I have is--no bicycling for two weeks, no heavy lifting, eye drops 4x a day. I can ride my Ninja ONLY if I wear a full face shield helmet--starting tomorrow. Sure is great having my depth perception restored--and being able to see.

g21-30
July 10th, 2009, 05:23 PM
That's great news! Be careful. Glad to see you back with us. :thumbup:

kkim
July 10th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Welcome back, Alex. Heal quickly. :)

Snake
July 10th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Welcome back buddy. Be sure and take it easy until you adjust to your new gift of depth perception.

noche_caliente
July 10th, 2009, 06:12 PM
glad to have you back Alex! I had been wondering why you weren't posting, but I do recall you saying something about your eye surgery. I'm glad it worked for you and happy to hear that you'll be riding again!

backinthesaddleagain
July 10th, 2009, 06:26 PM
WB - glad to hear all is well

ninjabrewer
July 10th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Glad to hear the operation was a success. Too bad that you have to wait 2 weeks to get back on your bike, but I guess the ninja is a close substitute.

nb

BlueRaven
July 10th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Welcome back Alex. Nice to hear your surgery was a success.

zartan
July 10th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Good news Alex!:)

Bsmith
July 10th, 2009, 08:52 PM
That's great news. Enjoy it.

miks
July 10th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Welcome back mate, I'm just wondering why you can't you do heavy lifting when the surgery was with your eye?

Sailariel
July 12th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Welcome back mate, I'm just wondering why you can't you do heavy lifting when the surgery was with your eye?

That`s a good question--a lot of people ask it. When you do any sort of heavy lifting, your blood pressure spikes. There are small blood vessels in the eye that can rupture and displace the new lens--or whatever procedure was done. Funny, they never mention having sex--that raises the blood pressure among other things. It is really nice not to need glasses except for reading. Spent two hours today trying to find NON Polarized sunglasses that I can wear with my full face helmet. Polarized glasses give you a rainbow effect when looking through a Lexan faceshield. Car windshields also appear pink. I did find two good pairs for $5 each. They passed the road test fine.

camaroz1985
July 13th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Great to have you back Alex. Best of luck on a full and speedy recovery. I'm sure it will be nice to get back out and do the things that you love.

BlueTyke
July 13th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Welcome back!! I had wondered where you had gone :)

komohana
July 13th, 2009, 01:21 PM
glad to hear things went well. welcome back alex

Sailariel
July 14th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Glad to be back, and it is sure nice to be able to see. I have to admit that prior to the lens job, riding was no fun--had to constantly squint to get my depth perception. If I did not live in Maine, where traffic is minimal, I would not have been able to drive or ride. Riding The Trek Across Maine, 190mi on a bicycle in the rain for three days with 2600 riders--only seeing out of one eye, was a challenge. I did leave early each morning and managed to hammer an average speed of 18+mph staying away from the crowd. When I crossed the finish line, there were not a lot of people there. In retrospect, I did take quite a chance. I trained all year for this event and was not about to let a rapid growing cataract stop me. I won`t ride next year. 2000+ riders of different levels of experience, riding every kind of bike imaginable is just not safe. I`ll train for the MS 150 which limits the riders to 800 and runs two days. Besides, I did the Trek 5 years in a row.