View Full Version : Any HI riders

istreefitty
July 12th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I know that most of you have A LOT better things to do in the tropical paradise rather than sit on a computer posting threads, but if you do have some down time Id like to see if there are any more Hi riders out there, and ask some questions.

I just finished MSC and I am waiting on getting my new DL from TX (long story but i am keeping my origional state DL). I am in the market for a bike and have migrated to the 250 (even with a lot of oppisition from friends) but I am at a loss ATM. On one hand I really REALLY want a bike today, no scratch that yesterday. Oh ther other I am intreaged as what the 2010 models hold.

Finally, how does everyones 250r hold up here on oahu? I know that 65 is the absolute fastest you want to go on any of the H-interstates, which from what i undstand the 250 can handle no problem. Any concerns or help with my delemma??

BTW thanks for any help/advice

kkim
July 12th, 2009, 04:18 PM
buy a used 250R and live happily ever after. no joke.. the bike's capabilities will surprise you.

istreefitty
July 12th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Kkim im starting to really dig your style.

So used is the way to go, any one know what costs are shipping in a bike from the main land (aside from the 525 shipping costs from LA SD or SF), thanks. there are a few ninjettes for 3700 with <5k miles that are in the west coast.

thanks

kkim
July 12th, 2009, 05:00 PM
buy one local... scan craigslist and talk them down. :D

as anything, look for a well cared for example instead of a POS some spoiled kid dropped and now wants to move up from. :lol:

you might want to PM ninjabrewer as he just shipped his bike from Hawaii to Cali and should be current with costs to ship.

komohana
July 12th, 2009, 05:56 PM
howzit :D

you'd be suprised at how many 250's are up for grabs in hawaii!
no need ship from the states...iffn you're patient enuff

istreefitty
July 13th, 2009, 04:40 PM
so did you all go to south seas?? if so did you really pay 5400 OTD?? stupid shipping i guess.........errr. I talked to norm at SS HD and he said 5500 OTD and I laughed!!! But he assured me it was the lowest on the isle. Any comments??

kkim
July 13th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Are you beginning to see why the used bikes in Hawaii, while they may sound high comparative to the mainland US, are actually quite reasonable considering all the dealers jack up the prices that much and it's either pay that amount or don't buy a bike. It's a captive market here. :(

I paid 4400 OTD last year for an 08. With the 500 increase they had on 09s, that would have made it 4900. Something for you to shoot for.

BTW, I thought I overpaid, but hearing what others in Hawaii paid for their bikes, mine was about the cheapest I've heard.

noche_caliente
July 13th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Kelly - yours is cheaper than many of the guys on the mainland got - definitely not a bad deal!

istreefitty
July 13th, 2009, 05:22 PM
kelly ive been meaning to ask where you work, im in mil intel and stuff looks very familiar :wink:

I mean the stuff in your pics from the ride earlier

kkim
July 13th, 2009, 05:24 PM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9873&highlight=habit

ninjabrewer
July 14th, 2009, 07:27 PM
buy one local... scan craigslist and talk them down. :D

as anything, look for a well cared for example instead of a POS some spoiled kid dropped and now wants to move up from. :lol:

you might want to PM ninjabrewer as he just shipped his bike from Hawaii to Cali and should be current with costs to ship.

$625 from Honolulu to San Diego, through Pasha Hawaii. (When I called them, I got some gal in TX, I swear when she said bye, she added in, you call back now ya heer) Took about 2 weeks. (shipped 05/15, P/U 05/28)That was in mid May, and at that time it was the same cost either direction.

Not sure what the OTD price was but I saw a few '09's at Mid City Kawa here in socal, for almost 4K even. That is what I paid for mine that was about 6 mo old and 1200 miles.

nb

oh, that price is me dropping it off and picking it up at the port.

istreefitty
July 14th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Yea I just decided to take sound waves off his hands. Thanks for the prices though. Now I am just waiting on my stupid dlto get here with my m endorsement from Texas
Posted via Mobile Device

ninjabrewer
July 14th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Yea I just decided to take sound waves off his hands. Thanks for the prices though. Now I am just waiting on my stupid dlto get here with my m endorsement from Texas
Posted via Mobile Device

good good good, keeping it in the family.

Sound wave, when are you getting the new machine?

nb

kkim
July 14th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

did you buy his bike? :)

istreefitty
July 14th, 2009, 10:23 PM
waiting on the check but for all intesive purposes yes

insurance will be 80-82 ish a month full coverage untill 25 then it will drop to 65

first project will be gear.... not even going to get on till i have ALL my gear

next exhaust system but gary took care of the rest :cool:

I really love this bike....and dont worry Kkim for 1k you can have a black one like it :p

istreefitty
July 14th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Also Gary is a really cool dude..... I dont care what you all say about him

istreefitty
July 14th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Kelly you need to sale those cars and buy yourself a 250r on Oahu. You could live here on the weekends and go back during the week, whatdduya say?? I ll even help with gas over here :wink: as long as you help with the bikes.

kkim
July 14th, 2009, 11:27 PM
congrats on the bike!! You're buying from a great guy and you're getting a terrific bike (even if it is black :p) that has been well cared for and maintained.

lol... you're behind the curve. I've lived on Oahu for the 1st half of my life and have been on Kauai for the second half. There is no way I'm going back to that overbuilt, piece of crap island to live if I can help it. :D

istreefitty
July 14th, 2009, 11:41 PM
And I get a Gary labor warentee that covers everything I can't do for as long as I have the bike..... And it was free

he just doesn't know it

as for Oahu I can see your point but I'm still here and it beats the island of Omaha nebraska ( in a sea of corn that is). I hope I make it to the other islands some time
Posted via Mobile Device

kkim
July 15th, 2009, 12:34 AM
when you get a chance, visit the outer islands... they offer a lot more of Hawaii than Oahu has to offer. :)

Sound Wave
July 15th, 2009, 11:51 PM
good good good, keeping it in the family.

Sound wave, when are you getting the new machine?

nb
chris, going to check out the two honda dealerships this week and see how much they will charge for the honda interceptor. also, as a recommendation of a member here, i am going to take a look at the suzuki gsx-650f. not sure if the suzuki will be as comfortable 2-up as the honda, but i guess i will find out.

congrats on the bike!! You're buying from a great guy and you're getting a terrific bike (ESPECIALLY SINCE it is black :p) that has been well cared for and maintained.

thanks for the kind words. :o you are only saying that for one reason.... because it is true. :D as thanks, i will donate some money in your name to my new jacket fund. seriously, i appreciate it.

Also Gary is a really cool dude..... I dont care what you all say about him

gee thanks. :p

And I get a Gary labor warentee that covers everything I can't do for as long as I have the bike..... And it was free

he just doesn't know it

Posted via Mobile Device

huh? :confused:

free use of my equipment. $100/hr labor..... or a plate lunch. which ever is cheaper. if it is something really easy, a super big gulp and nachos will do :D

tonight i was staring at my bike. got kind of sad. i am really going to miss it, but i know it is going to someone who will really appreciate it. he seems like a great guy, even if he is in the air force and not the army. :D

komohana
July 16th, 2009, 12:08 AM
howzit gary,
glad to see you've been able to pass along your ride to another member on our boards. good luck on your hunt for a good 2-up ride. am sure you'll find something suitable soon.
aloha

istreefitty
July 16th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Any Oahu riders want to help me celebrate my buying my ninjette?? If anyone is interested let me Know and I will let everyone know when I will start riding. Thanks!!
Gary bring the stang you can carry our gear for us!! :P

Sorry Kkim no greenies allowed!!!!

kkim
July 16th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Sorry Kkim no greenies allowed!!!!

don't wanna be left behind, huh?? i can understand that. :D

Sound Wave
July 16th, 2009, 08:31 PM
officially sold the bike to michael today. exchanged money and title. got mixed feelings about it.

oh, don't tell him, but i lied on the stated mileage portion of the paperwork. i added 400 miles on it. i plan on doing a few laps around the island before i hand the bike over to him this sunday. :)

seriously though, i think i was 5 miles off. i promise i won't ride it anymore. it doesn't belong to me now.

istreefitty
July 16th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Hey gary have at least one more day of fun....just remember you break it you buy it :wink:

Also what has two thumbs and owns a black ninja 250r??

This Guy!!!!!!! :happy100:

Sound Wave
July 16th, 2009, 09:01 PM
thanks for the offer, but i would be too paranoid to ride it now. besides, if i do, the chewing gum that i have plugging the puncture hole in the crank case might fall off.

i think i will just sit on it a few more times and make "bruuuuummmm bruuuuuuummm" sounds.

istreefitty
July 16th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Yea then you can move to your mustang and make the BROOOOOOOOOMMMMM BRRROOOOOOOOOOMMMMM Whoooosshhh sound. seriously man that thing looks nice

zartan
July 20th, 2009, 12:47 AM
officially sold the bike to michael today. exchanged money and title. got mixed feelings about it.

It is always tough seeing your kids move on..... Sigh. ( I don't have any kids but our bikes are our kids :) )