View Full Version : Longer stock mirrors?

Focus Mike
July 13th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Does anyone sell any mirrors that are about 1-2 inches longer than the stock ones?

ninjabrewer
July 13th, 2009, 07:41 AM
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2516/704/

Just got these about a week ago, and they are much better than before although I can still see my elbows, I can see behind me without having raise or lower them. Real easy to install.

nb

Scott1620
July 13th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Yea i cant see whats directly behind me unless I move my elbow on mine, id like to get these but the price is pretty steep :eek:

Sound Wave
July 13th, 2009, 11:17 PM
nb, if your elbows are still getting in the way, you gotta adjust them more. i have mine adjusted so that i can barely see my arms in both mirrors. the only reason why i do that is so that i know they are equally spaced.

scott, they are pricey, but imo they are worth it. the install is pretty clean. also, since it has 3 pivot points, you can get it just the way you want it. not sure if you saw my DIY on it
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18122

Anteraan
July 14th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I second this. It *is* a pricy upgrade, especially for the materials involved. You look at them and think, "I paid a lot for this. These guys must have a huge margin." Then, hopefully, you think, "My safety is worth some cash", and these things help safety a lot, in my opinion. I'd love to see them at a price point of $40-45 (or less), or better yet, standard equipment on the '10 Ninja. After all, something besides continued high demand will have to justify the next $500 year-over-year price increase. :thumbup:

kkim
July 14th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I was hoping some enterprising ninjette member would start a knockoff business making these. (hint, hint) :D

Anteraan
July 14th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I was hoping some enterprising ninjette member would start a knockoff business making these. (hint, hint) :D

Excellent idea....THEN sell Kawi on the idea and make a substantial future profit through volume. :D (Sorry, it's the businessman in me)

Ok, forget selling to Kawi. The first step to making this concept work though, is to somehow improve the product enough to avoid that whole "patent infringement" thing.

M-Oorb
July 14th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Go buy those convex stick on mirrors from walmart for 4 bucks...best mod ive done on my bike I can see all the way behind me...itssss greattttt :)

noche_caliente
July 14th, 2009, 08:15 PM
psssst! Zartan, I think Kelly's talking to you....

Boywonder
July 14th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I purchased a pair of wedge style stick on mirrors at Wal-Mart. I felt they would look and work better with the stock mirrors of my '09 than the round convex style. Only about $3 each and well worth it. I set my stock mirrors to see the lanes beside me and then stuck the wedges in the top outside corners of the mirror with the thicker edge to the outside. They let me see directly behind me quite well.

Sound Wave
July 14th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Go buy those convex stick on mirrors from walmart for 4 bucks...best mod ive done on my bike I can see all the way behind me...itssss greattttt :)

personally, they helped a bit, but the image in the reflection was too small. also, at night they were kind of useless.

with both the convex mirrors and the mirror extenders, the vision is much better.

capt_bugaloo
July 14th, 2009, 08:57 PM
nb, if your elbows are still getting in the way, you gotta adjust them more. i have mine adjusted so that i can barely see my arms in both mirrors.
I must be a lot wider than you :D because I've adjusted my mirrors about 500 times and I can't see anything behind me. I either see my arms or I see the lanes and sidewalks next to me, but I can not see a vehicle directly behind me no matter what position or angle the mirrors are in.

EDIT: Just took a look at that link above, and I don't think the price for those mirror mounts is all that bad ($65 US + shipping). I might order one or two: can someone post some decent photos of what these look like mounted on their EX250r?

Ken
July 15th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I have the mirror extenders and they work great. For better visibility I added a pair of blindspot mirror stick-ons I bought at pepboys intented for a Ford pickup and one round convex mirror:

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg393/kawiken/Ninja%20250R/_ACHtoWrightwood__003.jpg

The extra blindspot mirrors look fugly but having better visibility is worth it. I don't even really have to turn my head when changing lanes (though out of habit I still do, but now switching lanes with much more confidence).

zail
July 16th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Here's my bike with it's mirror extenders on ...

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=198&pictureid=1960

Cost me about £30 which was money well spent - apparently (according to my local Kawi centre) Kawi make a set too which are slightly cheaper...

Scott1620
July 23rd, 2009, 06:25 AM
I picked up a set of the mirror extenders after trying the fisheye blindspot mirror. I like the extenders a lot better, the fisheye mirror made everything too small. Now I dont have to move my elbows to see directly behind me... Thanks for the link...

Focus Mike
July 23rd, 2009, 09:30 PM
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2516/704/

Just got these about a week ago, and they are much better than before although I can still see my elbows, I can see behind me without having raise or lower them. Real easy to install.

nb

Can you post a pic?

kkim
July 23rd, 2009, 09:36 PM
click on the link in Sound Wave's post. ;)

ScorpionNinja
July 24th, 2009, 01:51 PM
$65 + S&H, but what is the COST of S&H?
(im in michigan, 2 days ill get them once ordered)

i can find cheaper ones, but $65 isnt alot of money, also if these are MADE very well.... ie: you dont need to use loctite often and such, then they well worth it! imo

so those of you that have these on your bikes... NPs with them moving around if your going 70MPH+ on highways?

kkim
July 24th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I've not had any problems with mine.

Cicarius
July 25th, 2009, 01:25 AM
I have just ordered a set of the extenders from Twisted Throttle. Will let you know how i find them. Up till now i have to do i chicken dance and lift my elbows if i want to see behind me.

ScorpionNinja
July 25th, 2009, 06:23 AM
I've not had any problems with mine.

yea but how much was S&H? i know your in HI. itll cost more, but on their website i looked and didnt find ANY info on what they Charge for S&H.

Sound Wave
July 25th, 2009, 06:28 AM
shipping to hawaii was via 2-day UPS. that was the only shipping option to hawaii ymmv. it included both kkim's order as well as mine. shipping would have been the same if it were just for one.

it was $27.80.

ScorpionNinja
July 25th, 2009, 06:33 AM
ok... well i just sent that company a email asking what est. S&H would cost me, shipped to det, michigan.

Sound Wave
July 25th, 2009, 06:51 AM
ok... well i just sent that company a email asking what est. S&H would cost me, shipped to det, michigan.
if you go to the website and click "add to cart", a new option "view cart for shipping estimates" will pop up. after that you enter your zip code and it will give you an estimate. mine was inaccurate by $5, but at least it will give you a ballpark idea.

ScorpionNinja
July 25th, 2009, 06:59 AM
oh ok, thanks!:D

Anteraan
August 1st, 2009, 01:36 PM
$65 + S&H, but what is the COST of S&H?
(im in michigan, 2 days ill get them once ordered)

i can find cheaper ones, but $65 isnt alot of money, also if these are MADE very well.... ie: you dont need to use loctite often and such, then they well worth it! imo

so those of you that have these on your bikes... NPs with them moving around if your going 70MPH+ on highways?

They're well made, and, after removing human error from the equation, I haven't had any problems with them moving around.

Cedilla
August 1st, 2009, 10:24 PM
I thought I needed better mirrors for mine, but after repeated adjustments, it took 2 months, but I finally got my mirrors adjusted to where I can see behind me. :whoo:

CZroe
August 2nd, 2009, 09:05 AM
I second this. It *is* a pricy upgrade, especially for the materials involved. You look at them and think, "I paid a lot for this. These guys must have a huge margin." Then, hopefully, you think, "My safety is worth some cash", and these things help safety a lot, in my opinion. I'd love to see them at a price point of $40-45 (or less), or better yet, standard equipment on the '10 Ninja. After all, something besides continued high demand will have to justify the next $500 year-over-year price increase. :thumbup:

Wow. If Kawi sees that have have resigned ourselves to another $500 increase as an inevitability, what is going to stop them? ;) But, yeah they really only have to add EFI to justify it.

I thought I needed better mirrors for mine, but after repeated adjustments, it took 2 months, but I finally got my mirrors adjusted to where I can see behind me. :whoo:

Yeah. I thought I had them as spaced apart and perfectly-angled as possible and yet there was absolutely no way to see behind me when I left the dealer, which was bad because my older brother was following me in his truck and was going to signal when I needed to turn (we were headed to a landfill; PERFECT place to take a brand-new sportbike :rolleyes:). It took me several days to get it right. Now I've got it where I can see with minimal movement and the upward-angle that just looks better. I didn't even bother with a stick-on convex mirror or two, though I wouldn't mind some mirror extenders. :D

ScorpionNinja
August 2nd, 2009, 01:55 PM
They're well made, and, after removing human error from the equation, I haven't had any problems with them moving around.

cool! link from twisted throddle.com i was able to locate a LOCAL dealer here in Mi.

Sel-Motion
29444 candle ln.
Southfield, Mi. 48076
248-569-2850

to get a pair of those SW-Tech mirror extenders! Im gonna call em tomorrow after work and go ride up there on my Nate if they have some in stock.

S&H would cost me $11.75! It'll cost me less then that and itll give me a excuse to ride my bike! ill be able to put them on in the same day, no waiting for the UPS man!

Cicarius
August 3rd, 2009, 12:22 AM
I have the extenders installed. They are good. Easy to fit and so far have had no problems with them moving (i didn't use loctite). I can see better and no longer feel that something (or someone) is sneaking up behind me.

ScorpionNinja
August 3rd, 2009, 10:24 AM
I have the extenders installed. They are good. Easy to fit and so far have had no problems with them moving (i didn't use loctite). I can see better and no longer feel that something (or someone) is sneaking up behind me.

yea, aspecially at a ATM at night! :karate:

dimeified
August 3rd, 2009, 05:50 PM
At first I had trouble with the stock mirrors, but after i while i learned it was how i was adjusting them. Dont push the arms all the way forward. There is a point between midway and all the way forward that extends the arms the furthest, once you past this point, you start shortening the length. After i figured this out, i was able to adjust the mirrors on the ball mounts, and now i can see the left and right lanes perfectly (although i still turn my head to be sure). To look behind me i simply bring in whatever elbow is blocking my view.

Sound Wave
August 3rd, 2009, 11:30 PM
To look behind me i simply bring in whatever elbow is blocking my view.

that is why i bought the mirror extenders... because i didn't want to have to do that every time just to see what was behind me. with the extenders, you always have a good idea what is behind and to the sides of you at a glance.

zartan
August 3rd, 2009, 11:35 PM
At first I had trouble with the stock mirrors, but after i while i learned it was how i was adjusting them. Dont push the arms all the way forward. There is a point between midway and all the way forward that extends the arms the furthest, once you past this point, you start shortening the length. After i figured this out, i was able to adjust the mirrors on the ball mounts, and now i can see the left and right lanes perfectly (although i still turn my head to be sure). To look behind me i simply bring in whatever elbow is blocking my view.
Yes I agree there is a fine tuned point and that is why I freak if anyone bumps my mirror. I was at one time thinking bar ends but bailed on that. The bike is not hooligan enough.