View Full Version : Dragging Toes

Broom
July 13th, 2009, 08:23 AM
got my toes down for the first time this weekend on the 250. i've worn through lots of toe sliders throughout the years, but this is the first time i've got my toes to touch down on the 250 with the rearsets. for some reason i feel a sense of accomplishment... haha :D

at one point i had the bike topped out and cranked over in a fast right hander with my toe on the ground and both wheels sliding and chattering out from under me due to a rough seam in the track. scared the crap outa me, but all is well.

:thumbup:

by the end of the day on saturday i had my right toe dragging consistantly, but never the left. not sure if its a corner speed issue or a body position issue. has anyone got a peg down yet? wondering if our tires will handle that angle or not.

i had the video camera on the bike and recording at the starting grid, but when i asked my dad if he could see the red light flashing (he works the grid) for some reason he pushed the shutter button and stopped the recording.... so all i got was him shutting off the camera and not the awesome battle i had with another 250 :(

Alex
July 13th, 2009, 08:50 AM
i had the video camera on the bike and recording at the starting grid, but when i asked my dad if he could see the red light flashing (he works the grid) for some reason he pushed the shutter button and stopped the recording.... so all i got was him shutting off the camera and not the awesome battle i had with another 250 :(

I think he gets banned from future camera duty. :p

Broom
July 13th, 2009, 08:57 AM
after the race i noticed it wasn't recording and asked if he pushed the button... "yeah, why?"

"damn-it man! i asked if you saw a flashing light. i didn't say anything about pushing buttons!"

haha... we were bummed. next time we'll both know better.

gizmogamez
July 13th, 2009, 09:31 AM
when I was out, i had the pegs dragging...wore through a good few millimeters of the left one, but they are the stock pegs in stock position...on the right side there was a little grinding, but my stock exhaust took most of the damage lol...

my toe sliders did come in handy, but i'm looking into rearsets and exhaust for over the winter, so next year will be a new challenge.

i ran with the stock IRC tires, and I have about 4mm of un used tire so I know i will have more room once some mods are made.

Broom
July 13th, 2009, 09:34 AM
once you get rearsets the next thing to hit the ground will be your kickstand mount, and its very unforgiving. it caused my brother to crash ours before we cut it off.... be careful.

gizmogamez
July 13th, 2009, 09:36 AM
thx for the warning. guess I'll be buying a nice pair of stands then.

komohana
July 13th, 2009, 11:02 AM
congrats on the toe-touch down! sense of accomplishment indeed :thumbup:
too bad bout the vid, would have loved to see that action

ROADandTRACK
July 13th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I don't know how you are dong that Jon. My big butt on there won't drag the pegs. I suspect rear ride height based on the chatter you mentioned. Which we didn't have.

Broom
July 13th, 2009, 12:25 PM
i don't normally have any chatter. i just hit those bumps going into the first series of right handers after big bend (forget the name of those turns) and it upset the bike a bit. theres a bump going into little bend that would upset the bike a bit too. i'm sure a little adjustment could sort that out... i just don't know what that adjustment is ;) i just adjusted my line accordingly

you may be right about the rear being a bit lower than some of the other bikes. i know our front forks are lower in the trees than most of the other 250s. we've been slowly raising the rear and dropping the front through out the year to get the bike to change direction a little easier.

how'd you guys do saturday afternoon? i saw you guys pushing around a bike a lot more than you were riding it before i left at about 1

ROADandTRACK
July 13th, 2009, 01:24 PM
That damn thing broke again. Oh well.....

My kid had a good time at least. He's going to run the Ninja full time now in ESS and F4.

rockNroll
July 16th, 2009, 08:03 AM
May I ask, what organization are you guys racing with?

Broom
July 16th, 2009, 08:12 AM
CMRA (http://www.cmraracing.com)

rockNroll
July 16th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Thank You :thumbup:

shortstuff
July 16th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I thought people dragged knee, not toe [confused]

Broom
July 21st, 2009, 09:32 AM
at some point you get the bike leaned over enough and some other stuff will start touching as well

Mista Bob
August 9th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Never managed to get anything to touch the ground on my 250, but I also never really explored the limits of that bike.

On my DR650 I had my toe touch down once.
I figure that that's pretty close to the limits of my tires (they are on/off road tires).
Judging by the tire wear and my lil incident not too long after that, it would seem to be true. :D

There's a guy here who runs track days at a go-kart track, he is a truly amazing rider.
He has to wear elbow sliders on his NSR as he gets down so low. :thumbup:

08ninja250
October 4th, 2010, 08:56 PM
I have the woodcraft rearsets because i grinded the stock ones down. i did grind the left rearset a few times. I was told that toe scraping meant had bad foot position so I kept my toes tucked in.

jpaulsen
October 5th, 2010, 09:08 PM
If your body position is correct, the first thing touching should be your knee, not your toe. Toe only (no knee) you need to correct some other things first. We see it fairly regularly with the "B" group in NESBA.

Jim

08ninja250
October 6th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Ok great thanks for the clarification!

ally99
October 6th, 2010, 01:24 PM
If your body position is correct, the first thing touching should be your knee, not your toe. Toe only (no knee) you need to correct some other things first. We see it fairly regularly with the "B" group in NESBA.

Jim

I have a question about this as it's something I've been working to improve. Can short legs ever be a factor in which drags first, knee or toe? I ask b/c I've scraped toe a few times, and though I'm not trying to drag knee on the roads by any means, I've always wondered why my toe seems to scrape prior to my knee ever touching ground. I also have peg feelers, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference as they tend to scrape pretty early and act as my warning. My profile and avatar pics give good actions shots that show my body position, so if anyone has any ideas what I should do differently, let me know. I feel like I have decent form, though I know I could certainly lower my body a bit more than I do now, but I'm only 5'4" w/ my legs being shorter than my torso. I just wondered if short-legged people can also drag knee. Cheers and happy halfway day! :)

rockNroll
October 6th, 2010, 01:36 PM
I have a question about this as it's something I've been working to improve. Can short legs ever be a factor in which drags first, knee or toe? I ask b/c I've scraped toe a few times, and though I'm not trying to drag knee on the roads by any means, I've always wondered why my toe seems to scrape prior to my knee ever touching ground. I also have peg feelers, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference as they tend to scrape pretty early and act as my warning. My profile and avatar pics give good actions shots that show my body position, so if anyone has any ideas what I should do differently, let me know. I feel like I have decent form, though I know I could certainly lower my body a bit more than I do now, but I'm only 5'4" w/ my legs being shorter than my torso. I just wondered if short-legged people can also drag knee. Cheers and happy halfway day! :)

Everything else being equal, yeah sure, a longer leg is gonna put knee down before a short leg (the knee is further down because the thigh is longer) so at same bike lean angle, same foot position, a longer leg could get knee while the shorter leg is gettin toe. Your form looks good in the picture but it's kinda hard to say if your position is good for the corner speed you're carrying or if you're off too far/ not off far enough. What I see people do a lot of is trying to get their knee down while going too slow and they get all caddywhompus with it.

You have the stock pegs on there? You're lookin like you could do with some clearance there anyway, which will help you keep your toes off the road some. It does look like you're up on the ball of your foot in the picture so i'm seeing you needing pegs up and back some, your ass a tad more off the seat and maybe a little more corner speed.

Your pictures look great :thumbup:

ally99
October 6th, 2010, 03:37 PM
You have the stock pegs on there? You're lookin like you could do with some clearance there anyway, which will help you keep your toes off the road some. It does look like you're up on the ball of your foot in the picture so i'm seeing you needing pegs up and back some, your ass a tad more off the seat and maybe a little more corner speed.

Your pictures look great :thumbup:

Helpful advice. Thanks Rock! By the above statement, are you saying my pegs should be moved back and up? I ask b/c riding my Ninja 650, the pegs are definitely in a different spot than my "Lil' Ninj" and seem to be back farther. While riding, I like the back and up position of the pegs on my "Big Ninj". So are foot pegs adjustable? :doh: question, I'm sure. lol!
Yep, still have the stock pegs and feelers.

Cuongism
October 6th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Stock pegs aren't but they do make adjustable rearsets. Rearsets will also add clearance so your toes won't drag (at least harder to).