View Full Version : [motorcyclistonline] - Female Riders & Passengers: How To Select Riding Gear That Fit

Ninjette Newsbot
September 5th, 2015, 08:50 PM
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/sites/motorcyclistonline.com/files/styles/small_1x_/public/images/2015/09/mcy0515_mcgm_1.jpg?itok=jPhi_yEJ ©Motorcyclist

What’s the big deal when it comes to shopping for motorcycle gear (http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gear)? You visit your local dealership, try on something, pay for it, and then you’re done. Unfortunately it isn’t that easy for most women riders. The Motorcycle Industry Council says that among 27 million riders in the US, 6.7 million of us are women. However, only 12.5 percent of us are motorcycle owners, which means the vast majority are actually passengers.

As a result, we’re often ignored. Having worked extensively in the women’s motorcycle gear (http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gear) market for the past eight years, I’ve found that female passengers don’t see themselves as riders but “just passengers.” These words make my heart sink every time because she doesn’t understand the consequences of falling off the motorcycle. Pavement doesn’t discriminate! This perception is a challenge because if she’s not interested in wearing gear and has zero experience shopping for it, how will she know what to look for? This is only one of the many challenges women face when shopping for the right gear.

SIZING. When I ask a man what size he wears, there’s always an answer: “34/32 jeans” or “medium shirts.” If I ask a woman what size she is, “I don’t know” is a common reply. Many times, she doesn’t know what her dress size or true measurements are. What makes this really important is the fact that motorcycle gear for women is not vanity sized the way jeans and T-shirts are. How can you possibly know your true size when one brand says you’re “X” but another one says you’re “Y”?

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/sites/motorcyclistonline.com/files/styles/small_1x_/public/images/2015/09/mcy0515_mcgm_2.jpg?itok=krZNxJsW ©Motorcyclist

If your gear doesn’t fit well on the bike, you’re losing out on functionality and safety.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/sites/motorcyclistonline.com/files/styles/small_1x_/public/images/2015/09/mcy0515_mcgm_3.jpg?itok=xbXotkf3 ©Motorcyclist

VARIABILITY. Further complicating this issue, motorcycle gear size charts are often inconsistent and can vary from one brand to the next. And we can’t ignore the fact that we often have curves, so you might be a different size from your upper half to your lower half! There is simply no easy way to translate from casual clothes to safety gear.

FIT. We have also been trained to try on clothes in front of a mirror, not on a motorcycle, so it’s extremely difficult to immediately understand the way our gear should fit while seated on a motorcycle, not standing next to one. These sizing challenges are significant because it can impact the way our gear performs while riding and in the event of a crash. Your gear should fit better on the bike than off. Jacket sleeve length should be longer than usual, and may feel tight across the chest and loose across your shoulders, all so that it fits properly when you reach forward to the handlebars. Pants should run slightly long so that the knee armor slides perfectly into place when your feet are on the pegs. Gloves should have a pre-curved fit so they feel comfortable when gripping the bar. Boots should limit your foot from excessive forward or backward movement. Finally, everything should fit snugly so that the armor stays in place should you fall off.

FEATURES. A lot of thought is put into how a piece of gear will make your ride as comfortable, convenient, and safe as possible. Jackets designed to work in more than one season should have removable liners and strategically placed ventilation for more airflow. Waterproof jackets should have covered or sealed zippers to keep you dry. Some pants have the ability to adjust your knee armor up or down depending on how tall you are, and jackets may have straps on the sleeves to help keep armor in place. The more features like this a garment has, the more likely it is to be both comfortable and functional across many riding conditions.

PROTECTION. The two key criteria for protection are impact and abrasion resistance. Body armor is critical. If a garment doesn’t accommodate armor then it might not be very crashworthy. Some brands do not include armor but offer pockets so you can add your own, and third-party armor is available for these or as an upgrade to the basic armor included with some items. For abrasion resistance, the main issue is the material a garment is constructed from. Materials like leather and Cordura provide significantly more abrasion resistance than denim or other fabrics. Also consider the seams: Are they stitched with a material that will ensure that the garment won’t fall apart upon impact? The gear must be constructed in such a way that it protects you no matter what.

FIT, THEN BUDGET. It’s important to ignore price tags while you’re shopping at first. Let yourself enjoy, just in the beginning, the possibility that you can afford anything you want in the store. By ignoring price tags, you may miss out on something that fits you like a glove. Many times, a more expensive piece of gear may fit better than other less expensive options. Finding that fit in the beginning is the most difficult part. But once you figure out what brands/styles/fits work best, it’s a much easier process the next time you go shopping, and you’ll know exactly what to look for or what brands to seek out. If you find that you still can’t afford the high-priced item you’ve just fallen in love with, that company probably has more options in the catalog. Often, dealers can only afford to put out one or two options on their apparel floors, so it doesn’t hurt to ask to see what else they have to offer that fits in your budget.

PATIENCE. Now that you know what you should have, the question is: How do you get it? Normally, you shop at one of your local dealers. Their job is to provide knowledgeable staff and plenty of gear options in a brick-and-mortar or online environment (which can be 10 times more difficult). I’ve mostly worked in storefronts selling gear, and it’s so much easier when I am face to face with my customers. However, many shops lack a great selection of sizes, shapes, and features. The story I keep hearing over and over again from stores is, “But women just don’t come in here,” or, “I’ve tried and I can’t seem to sell anything.”

Selling women’s gear requires more than just stocking a huge selection; the salespeople should know the fit or sizing differences between one brand and the next. They also have to care about reaching women riders, educating them if necessary, and reaching out to the local riding community to find them.

This is where patience comes in. You, as the consumer, need to do your homework. My own site, gearchic.com (http://gearchic.com/), is dedicated to that, but it’s not the only resource. Share information with friends, read the online reviews closely, and keep looking until you’ve found the right, protective, functional gear for you.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/sites/motorcyclistonline.com/files/styles/small_1x_/public/images/2015/09/mcy0515_mcgm_4.jpg?itok=elEXPG_d ©Motorcyclist

What’s Wrong with Form over Function?

When I made the choice to ride 11 years ago, I immediately accepted the risk of injury. I have some respect for those who know exactly what riding without gear means yet do it anyway. But when you don’t educate yourself about those risks, and you make choices without all the information, you’re backing yourself into a corner.

Some of you are thinking: It doesn’t matter what I wear. But those are the rare accidents. What if you’re riding down the street at 15 mph while a car merges into you because the driver didn’t check his blind spot? Depending on what you’re wearing it can mean the difference between getting up and walking away with a few bruises or being taken away in an ambulance because you’re unable to walk.

I would certainly love to wear a casual, lightweight leather jacket when riding. Without protective features the jacket would be softer, lighter, and look better on me than most motorcycle jackets. My cute, stylish wedge boots would be less bulky and far more comfortable to walk around in than motorcycle boots. And my favorite jeans, which I can practically sleep in because they’re so comfortable, would be preferable to riding pants.

However, my body means a lot to me, and I try to give it as much sensible protection as I can. Even the best motorcycle gear is often a compromise, but casual clothes offer absolutely nothing in terms of safety or protection. Strong seams, reinforcement along impact points, and body armor are nowhere to be found.

Once you make the choice to wear safety gear, it’s important to accept that almost everything with real protection still won’t feel or look like casual clothes. Many brands have attempted to create stylish, protective gear, and some have succeeded. Yet I still find that many of these options must sacrifice some protection in order to achieve the ultimate goal of being fashionable. When your safety as a rider takes a backseat to how our gear looks, you’ll very likely regret that choice down the road.

Find gear reviews, in-depth fit strategies, and personalized recommendations at Donn’s site, gearchic.com (http://gearchic.com/).

Click here for full story... (http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/female-riders-passengers-how-to-select-riding-gear-that-fits-tips-on-womens-gear-apparel)