View Full Version : where do you keep your ridebells

scorpio_vette
July 14th, 2009, 08:18 AM
sorry. i'm getting really bored not being able to move around much, and just started wondering where you guys keep your ride bells.

you do have ride bells right??? LOL

my wife just hung hers on the left side of the bars just inside the fairing because she didn't feel like actually looking for a place to hang it.

Ninjaboi57
July 14th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Ride bells?? what are those?? Got pics and what are they used for? Any HP increase?? LOL...

scorpio_vette
July 14th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Ride bells?? what are those?? Got pics and what are they used for? Any HP increase?? LOL...

mmhhh......maybe it is a good thing i brought this up. you guys aren't ATGATT if you don't have a ridebell. LOL

here is a nice little explanation of the ride bell.
http://www.cycleconnections.com/articledetail.asp?TypeID=8&ID=563

ride bells can be purchased almost anyplace that you can purchase ride apparel. import dealerships don't usually carry them for some reason, but you can get them at general motorcycle/leather apparel shops, harley dealers, etc... you can also get them online. they make them in just about every theme that you can think off from plain to military, from hearts to crossbones.

here is a link to some ridebells. but as i said, you can also find them locally. if nothing else, find your nearest harley dealer.
http://www.guardianbell.com/bells.php

a couple tips:

1) hang it as low as possible, so you can catch the gremlins earlier and keep them away from the bike.
2) the magic is more powerfull if a friend or loved one buys you the ridebell. it will work if you buy it yourself, but not as powerfull.
3) ALWAYS make sure your bell is still there. i've had 2 incidents already where i had a close call on my ride, and afterwards noticed that my ridebell was gone. so it must have done it's job and gotten rid of the gremlin just in time.

yeah it's a superstitious little bike tradition, but it's fun.

liltenatattoo
July 14th, 2009, 09:32 AM
i want ride bells! i heard about them b4 i even went for my license. i have a guardian angel pin my mom bought me that i wear on the inside pocket of my jacket. it's a lilttle angel on a bike. and i also wear icon jackets, that have a saint on the inside pocket as well. if you have a newer icon jacket, you might already know. it's stitched in hanging on the inner pocket of their jackets. i think it's saint micheal but i could be wrong, i haven't looked at it in a while.

noche_caliente
July 14th, 2009, 12:28 PM
the ride bells tradition is really sweet- maybe I'm overly sappy, but it brought tears to my eyes :)

Broom
July 14th, 2009, 12:32 PM
i've got mine hanging from the front fairing stay on the race bike. on the dual sport its hanging from one of the oil lines that comes out of the head.

i can't remember where i had the bell on my old 600. i think there was a random little hook that was somewhere on the triple tree that i hung it from.

BlueTyke
July 14th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I have been told that under no circumstances was I to buy one for myself. ALWAYS buy it for friend/family to keep them safe. It is your well wishes, prayers, etc that give it power.

As of yet I don't have one but I still ride within flight of my Angel.

Where to put it on a sportbike is a good question. It would also depend on which bike you have... For mine I would put it just after the lower fairing, close to the ground.

CC Cowboy
July 14th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I have a voodoo doll for protection. When you ride like the devil you need all the help you can get.

SpyderGirl
July 14th, 2009, 12:58 PM
The hubby purchased one for me for the Spyder and the Ninja. I have it hanging off the front suspension on the Spyder and from where my lowering link is on the Ninja. I bought him one for his Rebel and his hang just below his exhaust in the middle.

b_eastep
July 14th, 2009, 01:12 PM
helmet lock on the ninja. (lazy)

scorpio_vette
July 14th, 2009, 01:14 PM
i've got mine hanging from the front fairing stay on the race bike. on the dual sport its hanging from one of the oil lines that comes out of the head.

i can't remember where i had the bell on my old 600. i think there was a random little hook that was somewhere on the triple tree that i hung it from.

is the oil line metal or rubber???

reason i'm saying, is that you have to be carefull on soft material. i hung my ride bell from the rear fender on my cruiser, and over time the swinging motion actually "sawed" through the plastic and elongated the hole. so i ended up putting a metal hollow rivet in the hole, so that it wouldn't cut through the fender anymore.

here is a pic of mine before i modified the fender and lights.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f131/scorpio_vette/our%20bikes/0703081016.jpg

Snake
July 14th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I am still waiting for that special someone to buy one for me. In the meantime my guardian angel has done a very good job of keeping me safe.

scorpio_vette
July 14th, 2009, 01:57 PM
sounds like you guys need to print that article, and hand it to your parents, spouses or friends. LOL

Broom
July 14th, 2009, 03:14 PM
is the oil line metal or rubber???

reason i'm saying, is that you have to be carefull on soft material. i hung my ride bell from the rear fender on my cruiser, and over time the swinging motion actually "sawed" through the plastic and elongated the hole. so i ended up putting a metal hollow rivet in the hole, so that it wouldn't cut through the fender anymore.

its either on the metal part, or the steal braided part. i can't remember off the top of my head.

doesn't matter either way since i think the "ring" is leather. i was afraid it might cook through the leather, but it seems to be fine.

kkim
July 14th, 2009, 03:21 PM
oops, I clicked on this thread thinking you had misspelled the topic... never mind. :D

CC Cowboy
July 14th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I am still waiting for that special someone to buy one for me. In the meantime my guardian angel has done a very good job of keeping me safe.

I get the hint! No way dude, you're on your own.

AnarchoMoltov
July 14th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Magical bells that catch gremlins??? WTF... are you guyz alright?? in the head I mean...

lockie
July 14th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Can I get one for my laptop?

capt_bugaloo
July 14th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Is this some kind of easterner thing? Out here on the west coast, I have never, ever seen or heard of anyone riding with bells like that.

scorpio_vette
July 14th, 2009, 11:21 PM
honestly i think it's just better known in the cruiser world as that's where bikes began, and the tradition began. but the "idea" is the same. it's to ward off gremlins off of bikes.

but in all honesty, there is kinda a divided line between sport bikes and cruisers among many people, and alot of the "new kids" with sport bikes don't hear/learn alot of the stories that started with bikes because those traditions seem to often times stay with cruisers. if that makes any sense.

it was actually taught to me by an older cruiser guy at our first bike rally where one of our new bike friends came over and handed my wife and me both our first ride bells even though she had a sport bike.

Broom
July 15th, 2009, 06:50 AM
i'm from california, so it can't be an eastern thing. scorpio is right though, its def more of a cruiser tradition.

capt_bugaloo
July 15th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Then maybe it's a US thing because I've never seen anyone, cruiser, sportbike, or otherwise, with little bells jangling away on his/her motorcycle. Funny thing is that I've toured a bit in the USA and I've never seen any motorcycles with bells while down there.

Broom
July 15th, 2009, 08:39 AM
they're not usually real obvious. you wouldn't normally see them unless you were looking for it.

scorpio's is kind of an exception.

SpyderGirl
July 15th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Mine are really hard to find. You have to really be looking for them.

BlueTyke
July 15th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Is this some kind of easterner thing? Out here on the west coast, I have never, ever seen or heard of anyone riding with bells like that.

I am from California and I had it explained to me by California riders. Most people don't openly boast about their bells. As someone mentioned it's not a big thing with Sportbike riders but...maybe it should be :)

RSman
July 15th, 2009, 02:05 PM
a couple tips...

Great info! A friend and I are going to get these this weekend, Will make sure to buy them for each other.

@ Scorpio

I recently discovered this inside my icon jacket the other night. Its a charm of St. Christopher, the story behind it is interesting.

ninjabrewer
July 15th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I had mine on the right bolt on the front wheel, but I almost lost it as it was rubbing on the bolt itself, so I took it off. I need to find another place to hang it. My daughter got mine at the HD dealer where my bike came from new. (It was a mistake taking her there, because she saw a HD softtail and wanted one).

nb

scorpio_vette
July 15th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Then maybe it's a US thing because I've never seen anyone, cruiser, sportbike, or otherwise, with little bells jangling away on his/her motorcycle. Funny thing is that I've toured a bit in the USA and I've never seen any motorcycles with bells while down there.
yeah they're not usually as obvious as mine. which is exactly why i put mine where i did. i looked at other bikes at the rally, and noticed that you couldn't see most of them. they would either hang just below the frame, near the rear saddle bags, behind the radiator around the engine, etc..etc..etc.... all places that weren't real noticeable. and i figured that if somebody is giving me a gift for my bike, that it might as well be visible. that's why i placed mine like i did.

scorpio's is kind of an exception.
:D:D:D

slowandlow
July 16th, 2009, 05:56 AM
and i also wear icon jackets, that have a saint on the inside pocket as well. if you have a newer icon jacket, you might already know. it's stitched in hanging on the inner pocket of their jackets. i think it's saint micheal but i could be wrong, i haven't looked at it in a while.

It is a Saint Christopher medal, traditionally worn by travelers to keep them safe.

BLUEHAWAII
July 16th, 2009, 10:20 AM
On my 250, I have it hanging near the right side passenger foot peg.

Matt_F
July 17th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Mine is on my key. Is it ok it's not hung on the bike? :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Neema12
July 19th, 2009, 03:19 PM
It is a Saint Christopher medal, traditionally worn by travelers to keep them safe.

I have the same thing in my Icon jacket as well. Im not religious but I do consider the accessory a clever marketing technique. I was thinking about getting a ride bell to put on my new bike but I keep telling myself to not rely on "luck" to protect me. I guess I am being close-minded but I think every time I get on a bike its real life and my direct actions will result in consequences. :confused:

However, I still wanna put something on my bike that is special to me and acts the same as a ride bell. I was thinking of replacing the medal in my jacket with something my family gives me.

scorpio_vette
July 20th, 2009, 04:09 AM
I was thinking about getting a ride bell to put on my new bike but I keep telling myself to not rely on "luck" to protect me.

the bell is for tradition and i guess "fun superstition", but you are correct. I would NOT recommend to trust your life to the ride bell.

Matt_F
July 20th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Mine is on my key. Is it ok it's not hung on the bike? :)
Posted via Mobile Device

I quit being lazy and actually found a place to mount it this weekend. I put it on the front chain guard mount.

scorpio_vette
July 20th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I quit being lazy and actually found a place to mount it this weekend. I put it on the front chain guard mount.

cool. you should have taken a pic. i posted this in the "pictures" section, and so far there's just been alot of talk, and still no pics of anybodies ride bells. LOL

Matt_F
July 21st, 2009, 07:33 AM
cool. you should have taken a pic. i posted this in the "pictures" section, and so far there's just been alot of talk, and still no pics of anybodies ride bells. LOL

Haha. I was thinking the same thing about it being in the pictures forum and no pics. I actually did snap a pic.