View Full Version : Sound Clip : Stock Exhaust vs Area P 15"

noche_caliente
July 14th, 2009, 07:35 PM
So Nick got around to installing his exhaust, and sent me the video to compile for your listening pleasure.... :drool:
He has the 15" Carbon Exhaust with the turn-down tip - and boy does it look good!

From Nick when he was telling me about getting it:
Well, the quiet core is 18", standard is 12", and I ordered a 15". The quiet core is just too big and the standard is just too loud, so (hopefully) i chose a happy medium. I chose the 1.75" core (instead of 2") to keep it a little quieter.

Basically it's the quiet core, shortened which makes it a little louder but a bit more attractive.

NJD022588
July 14th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Details now...

Both sound clips are taken with:
-Snorkel removed
-2 washers under each needle (I havent gotten around to replacing the jets with the new exhaust)

First half of the clip is the full stock exhaust.

Second half of the clip is a full Area P exhaust, 1.75" core, 15" muffler with turn down exit tip.

NJD022588
July 14th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Oh, and for the Apea P clip, the bike doesnt rev too smoothly without the jet kit. I'm not sure if it will change the sound after the jet kit is installed and tuned.

kkim
July 14th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Basically it's the quiet core, shortened which makes it a little louder but a bit more attractive.

i highly doubt that. :rolleyes:

Anteraan
July 15th, 2009, 06:40 PM
i highly doubt that. :rolleyes:

YMMV. I find the 18" can hideous. The 15" can sounds nice, seems more like the 12" in character and tone than the 18" (which is a good thing, imo).

I like the 12" version the most (out of everything I've heard), but I don't want to risk the bike being obnoxious. The 15" might be the compromise I'm looking for.

kkim
July 15th, 2009, 07:03 PM
YMMV. I find the 18" can hideous.

ah, I see you own a blue bike... that explains it. :p

Anteraan
July 15th, 2009, 08:36 PM
ah, I see you own a blue bike... that explains it. :p

Yes, it's proof that I have taste outside the boundaries of my mouth. ;)

I mean, I was hamstrung in a sense that I bought an '09. Have a little pity on me for that. Had I bought an '08, I couldn't miss with the palette. The only two colors I'd consider out of the '09's are the blue and black. The black doesn't show off the gorgeous body panel shapes, imo - so blue it was.

Besides, the blue brings out my eyes. :p

abyssdncr
July 15th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Wow, I dig it! I think this is going to be the exhaust for me (us). :D

I like the sound of the Yosh a little better still, but seems to sacrifice low/mid torque whereas the Area P doesn't and still sounds great.

Thanks for posting the clip!

a10forwar
August 24th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Area P sounds way better!!

MKlein3004
August 24th, 2009, 03:44 PM
post a pic of the 15 inch with turndown tip, its what im looking at getting

noche_caliente
August 24th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Mitchell - I hope to get Nick's bike, along with mine and Momaru's all together this weekend for a stock vs. 18" vs. 15" clip - I'll try to do pics as well if Nick doesn't post them sooner :)

MKlein3004
August 26th, 2009, 03:56 PM
cool cool, ill wait patiently to see the beauties

NJD022588
August 26th, 2009, 04:35 PM
This is the only picture I have right now. I can get a better one later.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=20&pictureid=2187

250fan
August 28th, 2009, 03:53 PM
WOW!!! That bike is amazing with the 15" can!!!! The 18" is WAAYYY to big and I think the 12" is too short........but that looks awesome! I will be doing the exact same to mine! Love the color! :thumbup:

MKlein3004
August 28th, 2009, 05:21 PM
looks good, but *cough* side pic *cough*

noche_caliente
August 29th, 2009, 08:00 AM
patience Mitchell - we're all going to ride tomorrow, so hopefully we can get some good comparison pics :)

MKlein3004
August 29th, 2009, 10:37 AM
lol, glad sarcasm could be seen by you noche, but really am patiently waiting for the comparison pics. I have become relatively patient these last two weeks waiting on two companies to get back to me with job offers so that i might have a chance to buy the 15" can from area p

Patiently waiting

NJD022588
August 30th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Just the 15 inch:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=20&pictureid=2208

Stock, 15 inch, 18 inch:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=20&pictureid=2209

And, my camera thinks its January 2007

noche_caliente
August 30th, 2009, 06:10 PM
And another sound clip - stock, then 18", then 15 ", all revving to about 7 or 8 k

250fan
August 31st, 2009, 10:01 AM
Just the 15 inch:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=20&pictureid=2208

Stock, 15 inch, 18 inch:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=20&pictureid=2209

And, my camera thinks its January 2007
Very very nice! That 15" looks great! What kind of flush mounts did you use on your bike

great shots though! id love to see more!

MKlein3004
August 31st, 2009, 10:11 AM
those pics just helped me make my mind up, 15" with downward tip in CF, thanks for the pics

NJD022588
August 31st, 2009, 12:24 PM
What kind of flush mounts did you use on your bike

http://www.newenoughhp.com/parts/turn_signals__led%27s/bike_master/flush_mount_marker_light_turn_signals_flat_oval.html

I got the medium clear ones

Buffalony
September 19th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Nice pic. Thanks for the clips. very cool you did that.
where were you guys?

Anybody have an AP vs Yosh exhaust comparison in the same recording?

I wont buy an AP exhaust until they can give me a Green AP Sticker to put on it!!!
I'd like a 15 incher with a removable silencer tip. I do love the look of the turn down tip though. Anyone know if a silencer is available for that tip?

Nevrfastenuf
September 19th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Anybody have an AP vs Yosh exhaust comparison in the same recording?

I wont buy an AP exhaust until they can give me a Green AP Sticker to put on it!!!
I'd like a 15 incher with a removable silencer tip. I do love the look of the turn down tip though. Anyone know if a silencer is available for that tip?

Myself and a few other forum members are planning a fall ride for next weekend (the 26th) and I will try and get a sound clip of the AP and the Yoshimura while we are together.

Rayme
September 19th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Man I love that quiet core...but I can't justify spending 500+$ USD on a piece of pipe. :(

noche_caliente
September 19th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Clint - if you need any help processing it, let me know :)

Voodoo Rufus
September 19th, 2009, 04:15 PM
For me, the question is turned-down or flat conical end cap.

HMB-ninja
September 23rd, 2009, 01:13 PM
i notice that the pipe distance from the faring to the can is much longer than on or stockers would it be possible to cut the pipe bringing the can down closer to the fairing?

noche_caliente
September 23rd, 2009, 04:39 PM
David - that's mostly an illusion provided to you by the heat shield on the stocker...
as for modifying the pipe, I wouldn't suggest it - the amount of research that Kerry put into the system doesn't really pay off when you go and chop the pipe so it will look better...

HMB-ninja
September 23rd, 2009, 06:13 PM
it was just a thought, do you think if the heat sheild was mounted in place on the area p it would fill that gap to look a little more like a stock piece? anyone have a pic similar to the setup i'm talking about?

HMB-ninja
September 23rd, 2009, 06:16 PM
noche, i like your location. land of deams sounds like a nice place can i visit sometime? haha

noche_caliente
September 23rd, 2009, 07:04 PM
it was just a thought, do you think if the heat sheild was mounted in place on the area p it would fill that gap to look a little more like a stock piece? anyone have a pic similar to the setup i'm talking about?

I have a spare heat shield laying around, and I think both of the boys still have theirs - maybe I can get a pic for you at some point... I'm planning to use the heat shield with mine when I go for the Area P

Momaru
September 23rd, 2009, 07:14 PM
I've been toying around with a similar setup (stock heat shield), but since I've the CF pipe instead od the stainless I decided not to. Instead planning to get some flat black high-temp paint and coat the whole pipe up to the can. Would be happy to mock up something though, so you've got a concept pic.

HMB-ninja
September 23rd, 2009, 08:25 PM
you could flat black the heat sheild thats what i was thinking of doing if i got the carbon area p

wayanlam
September 24th, 2009, 01:30 AM
i finally received the 15" flat end Can from AP today :D

had a little trouble with the tax office, who wanted to charge me too much on the import duty's. managed to pay about $60 less after checking up with them, but still had to pay about US$200, meh!

however after opening the box and seeing the exhaust, any lingering regrets vanished! she looks beautiful, and i want to go home and install it now! if i weren't stuck here at work that is, lol.

i noticed only two tiny imperfection, and that's a couple chips in the CF along the back edge, i believe that's where they cut it shorter from the Quiet 18" model down to the 15". then there is a very small crack in the CF next to one of the screws. but that's only visible if your looking at it with your nose stuck to the pipe.. which i doubt will happen once its locked and loaded onto my bike :P

Kerry has been very patient with my all to frequent questions, and i hope hes not thinking im a freak for asking so many things! ha ha~ definitely good customer service :thumbup: thanks man.

going home soon and wondering how long it will take to install this baby, and if i should attempt to do it today, or wait for the week end...

noche_caliente
September 24th, 2009, 04:29 AM
do it today!

backinthesaddleagain
September 24th, 2009, 05:45 AM
When I go to the Area P site I only see 3 exhausts:
Optional Long Quiet Carbon Fiber
Standard Carbon Fiber
Standard Stainless Steel
yet I see on here someone just got a 15" CF and KKim has a Quiet Stainless Steel. Do the choices change or are some special order?

Voodoo Rufus
September 24th, 2009, 06:36 AM
You can special order them if you ask, either a 15" quiet core CF or 14" standard SS.

wayanlam
September 24th, 2009, 06:59 AM
well i just finished installing the 15" CF QC, and boy it has a good rumble to it! (yes, did it today! couldnt resist, managed to finish up before it got dark).

i will be adjusting the shims and removing the snorkel + kleen air maybe this week end, still need to gather up the parts to close up the hose nobs.

^ lol... wrote the above before i went out, and randomly left the house before i finished posting this.

now after coming back from a ride around to have dinner with some friends i find it a little on the loud side. i don't know how people would put up with a 12" standard core, cos that must be LOUD... and even the other after market exhausts which are said to be louder still!

but i guess it will take some getting used to this volume after only ever riding bikes with their standard inaudible mufflers. however it already makes the bike seem like it migrated from the scooter department, to a proper bike... dont know how to say this, but i guess when your as silent as the wind, it somehow feels like on a bicycle, ive noticed more people looking/glancing my way, and its good not because i want to be obnoxious, or wanna be seen... well i want to be seen for safety reasons, not for my ego, rofl. most accidents here happen because people ride in a way that you can only understand when you come here, and that is they go, and assume that the others see them, and slow down or stop for them! works most of the time, but they ofter underestimate people that are going faster than average...

anyhow, it felt like i was able to get up to 150 kmh quite easy , where as i haven't pushed the bike that far before the mod. (always stopped at around 140~145 Kmh) and i still have to do all the complicated fiddly stiff to tune up the carb. now I'm really looking forward to feeling the difference once its all properly set up.

i had some partial backfires, but i did not do any hard deceleration, which would probably get some proper backfiring action going. definitely need to remove the kleen air system.

ok, i need some advice from our Guru's;
should i go for the full stage 2 dynojet mod, or just shim the needles (with the needles that i got in the kit)? im thinking of doing it in stages, but seeing that ill have the snorkel + kleenair removed, and the full exhaust installed, i wouldn't want to cause any damage running the bike too lean :noidea:

hope you guys didn't fall asleep half way through that post, hr hr hr

backinthesaddleagain
September 24th, 2009, 08:50 AM
You can special order them if you ask, either a 15" quiet core CF or 14" standard SS.

thanks

wayanlam
October 1st, 2009, 08:17 PM
installed everything this week~ main jets, new needles, and removed the kleen-air pipes.

bikes running great! just need to get time off work to fine tune it all with a Dyno.

highly recommend these mods to anyone that's looking for an exhaust mod for both the power and sound.

i had the chance to compare it to a Yoshi exhaust, and some other local indo. exhausts, i personally find (and all the others that have seen my exhaust) that the AreaP is probably the best sounding pipe, its got the bassy rumble without the hard knocking twanging sound that i heard on the other exhausts, its hard to explain, but easy to hear if you can compare them in real life. the sounds just seems to roll out better.

anyone concerned about making too much noise should definitely go for the full 18" QC option. costs the same as the 15", and im sure is quiet-er, specially if you add in that silencer bit. at first i almost regretted getting the 15" instead of the 18", but after riding the bike for a week, im used to it already, and it does not seem to be making any ears bleed!

Rayme
October 1st, 2009, 08:20 PM
installed everything this week~ main jets, new needles, and removed the kleen-air pipes.

bikes running great! just need to get time off work to fine tune it all with a Dyno.

highly recommend these mods to anyone that's looking for an exhaust mod for both the power and sound.

i had the chance to compare it to a Yoshi exhaust, and some other local indo. exhausts, i personally find (and all the others that have seen my exhaust) that the AreaP is probably the best sounding pipe, its got the bassy rumble without the hard knocking twanging sound that i heard on the other exhausts, its hard to explain, but easy to hear if you can compare them in real life. the sounds just seems to roll out better.

anyone concerned about making too much noise should definitely go for the full 18" QC option. costs the same as the 15", and im sure is quiet-er, specially if you add in that silencer bit. at first i almost regretted getting the 15" instead of the 18", but after riding the bike for a week, im used to it already, and it does not seem to be making any ears bleed!

Thanks for the info..I'll definitly get the 18" when I can now.. I love that old school long muffler look..And they give just as much power as short ones.:p