View Full Version : Mold issues in Hawaii

istreefitty
July 15th, 2009, 02:12 PM
OK OK Ok soo I have never lived in a sub tropical/tropical environment. I have lived in dallas and my wife is from Florida (which is sub tropical). Any whoo soo we are living on base (housing is paid for as well as all utilities) and I was explicity told not to let my indoor temp go lower than 75. Now the reason she gave me was because of the moisture and high temps here, sounds fishy? The reason I do not believe her entirely is, her explaination og how it SPECIFICALLY applies to Hawaii, mirrored that of the dave chapel show skit where WU tang is selling a toilet bowl cleaner and explains how it worked by saing "its the enzymes and ****." Basically my long and expired joke is trying to say is she knew nothing about what she was saying. My question is how valid is their request? I personally have lived in a place where summers were 100+ degrees with tons of humidity, and had no restriction on my A/C usage. I think that it is just a ploy to keep me from over using the free services (the government doent pay for anything. the company that got the contract would be eating my utility bills). Any comments on this *cough* ninjabrewer, kkim, sound wave *cough*??

kkim
July 15th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I don't have AC in my house, but AC helps to dehumidify the air. So, if you let the AC cycle longer by lowering the temps below 75, I would think there would be LESS humidity in the air for mold to grow.

sounds to me like she's just feeding you a line to keep AC use down. :)

OK OK Ok soo I have never lived in a sub tropical/tropical environment. I have lived in dallas and my wife is from Florida (which is sub tropical). Any whoo soo we are living on base (housing is paid for as well as all utilities) and I was explicity told not to let my indoor temp go lower than 75. Now the reason she gave me was because of the moisture and high temps here, sounds fishy? The reason I do not believe her entirely is, her explaination og how it SPECIFICALLY applies to Hawaii, mirrored that of the dave chapel show skit where WU tang is selling a toilet bowl cleaner and explains how it worked by saing "its the enzymes and ****." Basically my long and expired joke is trying to say is she knew nothing about what she was saying. My question is how valid is their request? I personally have lived in a place where summers were 100+ degrees with tons of humidity, and had no restriction on my A/C usage. I think that it is just a ploy to keep me from over using the free services (the government doent pay for anything. the company that got the contract would be eating my utility bills). Any comments on this *cough* ninjabrewer, kkim, sound wave *cough*??

rockNroll
July 15th, 2009, 02:21 PM
:whathesaid:

Air conditioning dries the air. The water that drips out of the AC drain was in air when the air hit the evaporator.

ninjabrewer
July 15th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Another reason, and probably the real one, is that since the private contractor that controls housing now also pays the electric bill. When that first started I was at Ft Eustis VA, and friends that lived in housing was told not to rinse dishes before they put them in the dishwasher, wash clothes in cold water, to name a few of the things they tried to do. As for eating the cost, you are right, they will, but the way the contract is written, trust me, they are making money. Hence the reason that I, as a retiree, can still live in gov't housing. My family still lives at HMR, but we did have to move from a 3 to a 2 bedroom. They have a LOT of empty qtrs, and there is a order of merit list that has civilians at the very bottom. Also, they just put in electric meters in housing last year, I think, and there was talk of the contractor paying the electric up to a set point, anything over comes out of the residents pocket. Each set of qtrs would have a baseline set and anything over that would be the responsibility of the resident. Any more questions let me know, I lived in HMR for 3 yrs.

nb

PS. My 800th post. WAHOO

Sound Wave
July 16th, 2009, 12:03 AM
we have central a/c in our unit. personally, we have ours set to 76 degrees usually. not because of the anything except that any cooler would be too cold for us. sometimes, we set it to 75... but again, that is just personal preference.

when i was single, at my other condo, i would set it to 66 degrees and just walk around the place with a sweat suit and blanket. don't ask me why. never had any problem with mold or humidity.

like mentioned before, making it cooler will actually decrease the humidity. we have one of those indoor temp/humidity meters and that is what i have noticed.

komohana
July 16th, 2009, 12:17 AM
make no mistake, mold does happen here. wasn't it the state capitol or the university of hawaii where they had to spend some serious coin getting rid of it?

that said, i've never ever had a mold problem, and though i'm not sure where you're at or what the weather is like there, i wouldn't worry about it all too much. i have a/c here in kekaha...but mold doesn't stand a chance cuz it is normally farkling hot on the west side.

my other half just reminded me that the place that had the mold suffered some water damage during a winter hoopla DATS why.

so no worries brah!

istreefitty
July 16th, 2009, 02:09 AM
yea I did some research and there is a somewhat valid reason. basically it isnt the mold growing in the room but rather the condesation from the next room, outerwall, attic, ect that is pooled up on the adjacent wall that can cause mold. I think this is extreme cases. It has happened to a few hotels on waikiki, but mostly due to cutting corners.

with that said 75 is kinda warm to me (i like when the wifey wants to snuggle) so a happy median will be 72. With that said, it still is more likely the contracting company wants to make more $$. Army housing is the only one I know (ive talk to all but marines) that has these dumb rules. It does seem thou that the brand new army housing (the one i live in) is more wood and vinyl (like the midwest) than the concrete and stucco (like most tropical areas), so this could have something to do with it. I am not complaining because our house is great for my little family and over 1800 sq ft with all utilities covered, but it is a well known fact that Army money goes to bullets first :wink:

Thanks for all of your insight but onto my other question: Does it always rain here?? It seems that when I wake up the ground is wet, and as soon as the roads dry it rains again (I use the term rain lightly here). I guess it has to do with living in the valley?? I just hope it isnt always like that because wet roads=unsafe conditions. Any comments?

istreefitty
July 16th, 2009, 02:10 AM
gary want me to comeby tomm?? or fri?? thanks

Sound Wave
July 16th, 2009, 09:40 AM
as far as the rain goes... idk. i don't think wahiawa is known as a wet area. i do know that if our trade winds die down and the wind blows from the other direction, it gets really humid. also, that is when the volcanic "smoke" from the big island gets blown in our direction and it gets really hazy.

the trade winds tend to keep things cool, but they do bring in passing showers. i don't really know much about this weather stuff. i don't like summers here because it can get really warm, but this year hasn't been too bad so far it seems.

TrueFaith
July 16th, 2009, 05:57 PM
I don't have AC in my house

:eek:
Do you live in the mountains? An old girlfriend who lived there for 3 years told me that her flip flops would melt on a typical summer day over there.

ninjabrewer
July 16th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Does it always rain here?? It seems that when I wake up the ground is wet, and as soon as the roads dry it rains again (I use the term rain lightly here). I guess it has to do with living in the valley?? I just hope it isnt always like that because wet roads=unsafe conditions. Any comments?

Yes, it rains frequently in that area. Wait till the time of the year that mainlanders call winter and you will see the REAL definition of rain. :eek:

Then it will rain some everyday. But it may only be raining in that area. I have left HMR in a driving rain storm and get to town and be nice and sunny.

nb

kkim
July 16th, 2009, 07:18 PM
:eek:
Do you live in the mountains? An old girlfriend who lived there for 3 years told me that her flip flops would melt on a typical summer day over there.

Where I live, we get a lot of mountain breezes which keeps us relatively cool. Also, a lot of passing showers helps to keep the temps down.

There are some days, the winds die and the humidity will go up, but a room fan is sufficient to keep the temps acceptable. My house is insulated so the indoor temps stay pretty moderate.

kkim
July 16th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Yes, it rains frequently in that area. Wait till the time of the year that mainlanders call winter and you will see the REAL definition of rain. :eek:

Then it will rain some everyday. But it may only be raining in that area. I have left HMR in a driving rain storm and get to town and be nice and sunny.

nb

Yep, I grew up in Wahiawa... get used to the rain.. and some really cold winter mornings. :D

randomwalk101
July 19th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Whattttttttttttt? You used to live in Dallas and now in Haiwaii?
How come I'm still stuck in Dallas...arghhhhh!!!!!!

ninjabrewer
July 20th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Yep, I grew up in Wahiawa... get used to the rain.. and some really cold winter mornings. :D

yeah sometimes it gets down to the 50's, makes the liner in my mesh jacket feel really good.

nb

kkim
July 20th, 2009, 11:24 AM
yeah sometimes it gets down to the 50's,

yep, seen it in the forties on some mornings. I know it doesn't seem cold by mainland winter standards, but when you don't expect it and the houses are not built with these temp in mind, it can be a real eye opener. :eek:

ninjabrewer
July 20th, 2009, 11:37 AM
yep, seen it in the forties on some mornings. I know it doesn't seem cold by mainland winter standards, but when you don't expect it and the houses are not built with these temp in mind, it can be a real eye opener. :eek:

You're not kidding, the first time I rode to work at 530 in the morning, without the liner, I was shivering and trying to huddle behind the windscreen. After that, I made sure I had the liner in and wear a heavy long sleeve shirt every morning. Our house never really got cold, but it did get rather warm and humid during the summer days, before we got a/c's. My daughter went to Kauai on school trips a couple of times and where they went she said it got down to the 30's in the morning.

nb

kkim
July 20th, 2009, 11:47 AM
My daughter went to Kauai on school trips a couple of times and where they went she said it got down to the 30's in the morning.

nbI bet she was up in Kokee. :)

ninjabrewer
July 20th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I bet she was up in Kokee. :)

Yeah, I think, that sounds like the place they go. They do a cleanup of invasive species I think, kinda like a community service project.

nb

kkim
July 20th, 2009, 12:14 PM
yep, right up the road from where I work.

Sound Wave
July 20th, 2009, 03:29 PM
down to the 30s? it doesn't snow on kauai though, right? i thought only the big island snowed.

kkim
July 20th, 2009, 03:40 PM
no... no snow, but frost on the ground on some of those mornings.

snows on the BI and Maui. :)