View Full Version : Recommend me a tank bag.

maverick31210
September 22nd, 2015, 04:30 PM
I usually have a backpack on but it's a pain in the ass to take on and off with a leather jacket on. Keeps getting caught on sleeves and zippers and I don't like how it feels on my back when there's stuff in it.

I'd like to get a nice little tank bag for daily duty.

My backpack holds my wallet and a pack of smokes but that's easy, I'm not worried about that.

Everyday (or every other day depending) after work, I stop at the store for a bottle of wine and a can of dog food. The bag would need to at least fit a 1.75L bottle of wine and a regular sized can of dog food.

Looking for something around $75ish but no more than $100. Ideas? Magnetic would be nice so I could pull it off and take inside the office with me.

Thanks! :smile-beerglass:

VaFish
September 22nd, 2015, 05:00 PM
I just bought this one off of Amazon a couple weeks ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Accessories-73717-MotoGear-Motorcycle/dp/B000RN2AHQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1442966042&sr=1-1&keywords=tank+bag

It's big enough to hold a gallon of milk (on it's side) and a little bit more stuff without using the expanding zipper. With the expansion zipper open it is quite large.

So far it is working pretty well. I did use the straps on each end, the magnets seem a little small. The straps have buickes up under the tank bag and are very quick to clip/unclip.

The craftsmanship is not perfect, there is a funny little pucker in the clear plastic window in the top right corner But for $42 and free shipping with my Amazon Prime I think it is worth it. Walmart sells the same tank bag on their web site for a few dollars more, but they have free shipping to your nearest walmart store if you don't have Amazon Prime it might be cheaper.

Wine and Dog food? you really know how to treat the ladies.

VaFish
September 22nd, 2015, 05:33 PM
Here are a couple photos of the bag in use.

You can see the funny pucker in the clear window in the first photo. (strange I just looked on Amazon's web site and you can see that the clear panel doesn't lay flat on their photo either.

I think the 2nd photo shows it holds a bottle of wine quite nicely with room for a nice can of dog food.

maverick31210
September 22nd, 2015, 06:17 PM
Frickin' perfect!

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you much.

I'm not one to sweat small **** like the clear plastic blem. I just don't want to have to use a backpack everyday.

It's a pain having to take it on and off for my wallet every time I go inside a store.

VaFish
September 22nd, 2015, 06:41 PM
Frickin' perfect!

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you much.

I'm not one to sweat small **** like the clear plastic blem. I just don't want to have to use a backpack everyday.

It's a pain having to take it on and off for my wallet every time I go inside a store.

I don't know if it's really a blem, it's the way the plastic is folded over the corner, it doesn't lay flat. But really what do you use that corner for? It's made for a map or something to read like directions while you drive, if you really need to be reading up in that corner, well you probably need a different tank bag. I usually put my cell phone in the clear pocket. I have also use it for a map when driving on the skyline drive national park.

The magnets are kind of small in my opinion. It works with a few tools, a hat and my sun glasses in it, but if I was stuffing it full I wouldn't trust the magnets to hold it in place.

But it does come with 2 straps, one you put around the steering head and the other around the base of the tank. between the straps and magnets it doesn't move at all.

And I just checked, Walmart has lowered their price to match Amazon.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Classic-Accessories-Motorcycle-Tank-Bag/10802876

verboten1
September 22nd, 2015, 07:38 PM
I loved my bag on the ninja, it's ok on the tenere, but not quite right.

Might be for sale if interested.

dcj13
September 22nd, 2015, 08:19 PM
My '03 pregen Ninjette came with a Cortech magnetic tank bag. Worked great and held more stuff than it looked like it should. It would accommodate 2 regular sized bottles of wine: would probably have held a 1.5L bottle (worst case, an inch of the top would stick out the zipper in the rear). Highly recommended.

Threw it in with the bike when I sold it to the grown up former next door neighbor kid (now in his mid 30's ) this last February.

Ghostt
September 22nd, 2015, 11:07 PM
Rapid Transit Recon 19

verboten1
September 23rd, 2015, 07:12 AM
Rapid Transit Recon 19

That's it! it's just about perfect on the Ninja.

I'm in mexico, couldn't remember what it was.

Alex
September 23rd, 2015, 07:40 AM
/moved to cargo space

DaBlue1
September 23rd, 2015, 09:20 AM
My tank bag doubles as a back too.
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=853471&postcount=7

maverick31210
September 23rd, 2015, 10:11 AM
Some good ideas, thanks guys!

I still think that first post is going to do it. Like $42 and change for it which is cheap, should handle my daily duties.

Ghostt
September 23rd, 2015, 12:30 PM
That's it! it's just about perfect on the Ninja.

I'm in mexico, couldn't remember what it was.

Yeah it does flow with the lines of the bike, and tons of features, and holds a lot.

http://www.rapid-transit.com/Products/Recon19.htm

VaFish
September 23rd, 2015, 04:38 PM
Latest cycle gear catalog has some tank bags for 19.99 and 29.99.

Insan3guy
September 24th, 2015, 12:05 AM
I just bought this one off of Amazon a couple weeks ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Accessories-73717-MotoGear-Motorcycle/dp/B000RN2AHQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1442966042&sr=1-1&keywords=tank+bag

It's big enough to hold a gallon of milk (on it's side) and a little bit more stuff without using the expanding zipper. With the expansion zipper open it is quite large.

I just wanna add my +1 to this bag. I bought it over a year ago (for $33) and it's held up AWESOMELY. Plenty of space, good sturdy material (you can cut holes in it and they won't tear into bigger holes), and even a little rain cover hidden in the bottom. The magnets aren't the greatest I've ever seen, but they're more than enough to keep it stuck to your tank. (I've never had a single issue in the 12000 or so miles I've had it)

I haven't even thought about it until now, but I've had zero problems with it since I bought it.