View Full Version : Saddleman Seats Help

Vladius
September 25th, 2015, 04:30 PM
I'm looking for a Saddleman seat (at least that's the direction I'm heading) and I was hoping I could get some feedback from some of the people out here that have some experience with it.

I'm on the fence between the Chicane, Sport, and Tech.

I'm pretty sure I'd want a channel, which kinda rules out the Tech seat.

Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated!!

LittleRedNinjette
September 25th, 2015, 04:37 PM
I had a sport low on my 300. i realy liked it. It was very comfortable for me on my commute to work and my weekend rides. I would get it again if i get another 300 one day.

Vladius
September 25th, 2015, 04:41 PM
How did it compare to stock? I think that my big problem is the pressure on my coccix, but would there be a big difference between low and regular in comfort?

LittleRedNinjette
September 25th, 2015, 04:54 PM
Night and day difference, the stock seat is like a rock in comparison IMO. I would guess the regular would be more cushy than the low.

Vladius
September 25th, 2015, 09:38 PM
Night and day difference, the stock seat is like a rock in comparison IMO. I would guess the regular would be more cushy than the low.

Given that I'm 6'1", I probably won't get the low version. Btw, not to derail my own thread, but I was checking out your mods and such in your old thread and then BOOM!, no more 300... for shame... :, (

dcj13
September 25th, 2015, 11:03 PM
I'm looking for a Saddleman seat (at least that's the direction I'm heading) and I was hoping I could get some feedback from some of the people out here that have some experience with it.

I'm on the fence between the Chicane, Sport, and Tech.

Doesn't matter what other people think. What matters is whether you have a chicane-, sport-, or tech-shaped butt (and remaining nether regions).

It'd be real helpful to try one of each for an hour. (I know,,, not possible).

Vladius
September 25th, 2015, 11:05 PM
Doesn't matter what other people think. What matters is whether you have a chicane-, sport-, or tech-shaped butt (and remaining nether regions).

It'd be real helpful to try one of each for an hour. (I know,,, not possible).

You're right, uhh, I don't know how to say this without it coming out hilariously, but I have a bubble butt. :rotflmao: Does that help?

(Since I don't have the luxury of sitting on each of these seats, how about this: I'm 6'1", 220lbs, average build)

LittleRedNinjette
September 26th, 2015, 06:04 AM
Given that I'm 6'1", I probably won't get the low version. Btw, not to derail my own thread, but I was checking out your mods and such in your old thread and then BOOM!, no more 300... for shame... :, (

Yeah, it was time to try something new.

See if someplace like Revzilla or Dennis Kirk has the seats. They're realy good with returns/exchanges.

At you hight Chicane may work for you. I found it to be higher the stock when I got the low version.

Vladius
September 26th, 2015, 07:29 AM
Yeah, it was time to try something new.

See if someplace like Revzilla or Dennis Kirk has the seats. They're realy good with returns/exchanges.

At you hight Chicane may work for you. I found it to be higher the stock when I got the low version.

Can anyone confirm if the Chicane seat (not low) looks like this?
I'm thinking the regular one has the deep channel like below.
If so, I'm leaning hard in that direction.

http://images1.revzilla.com/product_images/0069/7154/saddlemen_chicane_seat_kawasaki_ninja3002013_detail.jpg

dcj13
September 26th, 2015, 11:58 AM
Sorry about the earlier flippant answer. Seat comfort is very important, of course.

I've noticed that seats on Hondas and Kawasakis are nice and soft when one first sits on the bike: I think they do that as a sales feature! But after an hour (or less), I start suffering from "numbdickia." (This applied to my pregen Ninjette, my KLR250 [to a little lesser extent], and the '84 Honda Ascot I borrowed for 7 years).

In contrast, he stock seat on my K75 feels almost as firm as a church pew. But, dang it, I can ride the bike all day and not suffer from monkeybutt or numbdickia. I guess I have a BMW-shaped butt.

If I had kept the Ninjette, I would have bought a second seat (for the seat pan), ridden the bike to Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston, WA, for a fitting, and had one made.

Are there any custom seat manufacturers in your part of the country?

Vladius
September 26th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Sorry about the earlier flippant answer. Seat comfort is very important, of course.

I've noticed that seats on Hondas and Kawasakis are nice and soft when one first sits on the bike: I think they do that as a sales feature! But after an hour (or less), I start suffering from "numbdickia." (This applied to my pregen Ninjette, my KLR250 [to a little lesser extent], and the '84 Honda Ascot I borrowed for 7 years).

In contrast, he stock seat on my K75 feels almost as firm as a church pew. But, dang it, I can ride the bike all day and not suffer from monkeybutt or numbdickia. I guess I have a BMW-shaped butt.

If I had kept the Ninjette, I would have bought a second seat (for the seat pan), ridden the bike to Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston, WA, for a fitting, and had one made.

Are there any custom seat manufacturers in your part of the country?

Eh, don't worry about it, I didn't take it to heart or anything. :rolleyes:

I get more like numb tailbone-gooch-ia. The stock seat is fine for about an hour and or so, but the change after that starts to get exponential. :flame:

I'ma find out real good next weekend how my ass holds up in the stock seat; I've got a 2 1/2 hour ride to Putnam Park, 2 1/2 hour ride down to a friends house afterward, and then an hour ride back home later that night.

I do think the more I ride longer distances and the more warmed up I am, the better the trips go, but I'm still wanting something to take the pressure off my coccix and a little bit softer on the butt. I am a little weary about giving up performance though, so I don't want a mega cushion for a seat.

I have seen some of the custom stuff on here, but most of it I'm either not a big fan of, or gets a bit expensive for my tastes.

LittleRedNinjette
September 27th, 2015, 05:22 AM
Can anyone confirm if the Chicane seat (not low) looks like this?
I'm thinking the regular one has the deep channel like below.
If so, I'm leaning hard in that direction.

http://images1.revzilla.com/product_images/0069/7154/saddlemen_chicane_seat_kawasaki_ninja3002013_detail.jpg

Oops! I mixed up the models. this is what i was thinking of: http://www.saddlemen.com/tech-style-gel-channel-solo-seat-with-matching-pillion-cover-ninja-series-kawasaki-4?search=

http://www.saddlemen.com/image/cache/data/product/0810-K054-528x528.jpg

Vladius
September 27th, 2015, 06:31 AM
Oops! I mixed up the models. this is what i was thinking of: http://www.saddlemen.com/tech-style-gel-channel-solo-seat-with-matching-pillion-cover-ninja-series-kawasaki-4?search=

http://www.saddlemen.com/image/cache/data/product/0810-K054-528x528.jpg

You know, I was on the fence about that too, but from my perspective I'm not sure the center "channel" area is really deep enough to fully accomplish the task, otherwise it looks like a nice seat! I know a passenger would be really happy with that pillion seat though...

LittleRedNinjette
September 27th, 2015, 07:36 AM
I believe the next best is the sport then. The Chicane one is less padded if I'm not mistaken.

Vladius
September 29th, 2015, 06:27 AM
I believe the next best is the sport then. The Chicane one is less padded if I'm not mistaken.

I'm thinking I'm going with the Chicane, as the sport and tech ones have gel, so the seats aren't waterproof, which for me just isn't ideal.

Thank you for your help everyone!

LittleRedNinjette
September 29th, 2015, 07:13 AM
I'm thinking I'm going with the Chicane, as the sport and tech ones have gel, so the seats aren't waterproof, which for me just isn't ideal.

Thank you for your help everyone!

Not waterproof? :confused:

I rode my bike in the rain all the time with the sport... And it was rained on several times... Never had an issue and it looked good as new till i took it off to sell. :idunno:

verboten1
September 29th, 2015, 07:17 AM
The biggest problem is that many of the seats are too soft. I liked my nice firm corbin. My seat concepts have been perfect on the KLR and the Tenere.

reggae5
September 29th, 2015, 12:59 PM
I have the tech version on mine. Unfortunately its rained almost everyday since I put it on so really haven't had the proper time to evaluate it yet. But from the little bit I have ridden with it on ( 100 mile?) I found it tilts me forward a bit and that is putting more weight on my wrists. Will have to have more time to adjust my riding position to make a final analyze. The wife did not like riding on the back with it. She really was getting push forward into me. ( and that added more weigh to my wrists )
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t71/reggae5/ninja/P1010006_zpssety50xm.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/reggae5/media/ninja/P1010006_zpssety50xm.jpg.html)
This is the 5th seat I've tried out in my quest for the perfect small ninja tourer
1.stock seat
2. Corbin
3. Terry Adcox seat
4. Airhawk
5 The Saddlemen

Vladius
September 30th, 2015, 01:06 AM
Not waterproof? :confused:

I rode my bike in the rain all the time with the sport... And it was rained on several times... Never had an issue and it looked good as new till i took it off to sell. :idunno:

I heard someone saying the gel seats would hold water after raining? :confused:

Thanks for the heads up reggae5, I was thinking those seats didn't really look that good..

LittleRedNinjette
September 30th, 2015, 02:16 AM
Never had the Saddlemen seats hold water. I had one on my 250 too. Maybe cheaper gel seats.

Vladius
September 30th, 2015, 02:29 AM
Never had the Saddlemen seats hold water. I had one on my 250 too. Maybe cheaper gel seats.

The Chicane one, to my understanding, isn't actually jel? I'm pretty sure...

LittleRedNinjette
September 30th, 2015, 04:52 AM
Don't know, i had the sport. I never really looked at the Chicane.

Vladius
September 30th, 2015, 05:07 AM
Don't know, i had the sport. I never really looked at the Chicane.

I thought I recall you telling me in an previous post you had the Chicane?

If you're saying the Sport didn't hold water, that puts it back in the running, maybe even in the top spot. :)

LittleRedNinjette
September 30th, 2015, 05:11 AM
I mixed up the Chicane with the Tech seats but i never had either. I see where i may have confused ya. :o

But, yeah. the Sport never held water in the 2 or so years i had it. :thumbup:

Vladius
September 30th, 2015, 05:31 AM
I mixed up the Chicane with the Tech seats but i never had either. I see where i may have confused ya. :o

But, yeah. the Sport never held water in the 2 or so years i had it. :thumbup:

I'll just might get it then! :p It won't be 'til winter, but I have a few mods I'm planning to do while the cold whips in. I'll be dragging my bike inside the house, so it'll be perfect for the work! :bounce:

reggae5
September 30th, 2015, 05:45 AM
I imagine the sport will be built to the same standards as my tech, and the tech was such a tight fit I had to loosen the bolts a bit that held the seat down in order to get the side panels to slide back in. Now thats close tolerances lol

LittleRedNinjette
September 30th, 2015, 05:48 AM
I'll just might get it then! :p It won't be 'til winter, but I have a few mods I'm planning to do while the cold whips in. I'll be dragging my bike inside the house, so it'll be perfect for the work! :bounce:

been there done that! :D

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h478/coolcat7000/DSC00715.jpg

Vladius
September 30th, 2015, 05:52 AM
I imagine the sport will be built to the same standards as my tech, and the tech was such a tight fit I had to loosen the bolts a bit that held the seat down in order to get the side panels to slide back in. Now that's close tolerances lol

Yeah, they were talking about that when I checked out the Saddlemen brand on Revzilla. :cool:

been there done that! :D

Lol, noice Ninjette... :D

LittleRedNinjette
September 30th, 2015, 06:04 AM
Thanks, she was. Miss her from time to time. :)

dcj13
September 30th, 2015, 09:45 AM
Not uncommon for people to keep their Harleys in the living room.

xXecuterXx2
September 30th, 2015, 12:29 PM
Bike in the house?? Momma goes berserk over shoes....

LittleRedNinjette
September 30th, 2015, 01:59 PM
My boyfriends dad had his HD in the same house. Lol

allanoue
September 30th, 2015, 02:09 PM
Bike in the house?? Momma goes berserk over shoes....

Just make sure you wipe its feet very well.

Vladius
September 30th, 2015, 05:09 PM
Mines gonna sit in the kitchen on some cardboard. :thumbup:

reggae5
October 1st, 2015, 03:18 PM
Reading other forums on the Saddlemen seat reviews just learned that the company says the seats need 1500 miles before they are broken in.