View Full Version : homebuilt hard bags, function over form

windingroads
October 5th, 2015, 09:15 PM
Saw the forum, figured someone here might get a kick out of these. Had an EX500 for a while, a few years back, as my only running vehicle. Needed to be able to haul stuff. Didn't have the scratch for a high-dollar luggage setup, so I knocked these out ... worked beautifully :bounce:

VaFish
October 6th, 2015, 08:10 AM
Function over form?

Found these on the interwebs.

dcj13
October 6th, 2015, 10:04 AM
Both those approaches look extremely functional!

xXecuterXx2
October 6th, 2015, 11:18 AM
Indeed, gives me ideas for easier grocery shopping.....

VaFish
October 6th, 2015, 11:38 AM
Both those approaches look extremely functional!

Along with the Milk Crate and Ammo Cans.

If you are willing to give up a little on looks you can get a lot of functionality for very little money.

I think the Windingroad's look better though.

reggae5
October 8th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Or go this route. Build a ninjette trike and all you have to do is add a trunk to it :)
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t71/reggae5/ninja/ninjatrike_zpscob9r3xo.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/reggae5/media/ninja/ninjatrike_zpscob9r3xo.jpg.html)

Klondike1020
October 8th, 2015, 06:09 PM
Saw the forum, figured someone here might get a kick out of these.
Those look super functional and decent for a budget solution.... Next time make it out of fiber glass and it will be super sleek!
Along with the Milk Crate and Ammo Cans.

I was lookin at fabric bags and other options latley but now that my bike got smashed I am considering building a setup out of these military boxes my brother got me. They are rounded, Large squares about 16x16x20 that split into two halves and are made from lite weight but durable metal

They have a placard plate that says night vision equipment on them and they were filled with this nasty sticky degraded black spongy foam that I tore out.

They would serve double duty as cargo and crash bars lol

APEmike
October 12th, 2015, 04:32 PM
I have a few of the BIG grey ammo cans, WW2 surplus (thanks grandpa RIP). Ive been thinking about making a frame as I have access to a welder and steel. Oh, and paint. Cant forget paint.

The advantage is they are lockable and waterproof. Disadvantage? HEAVY. Not so good on a super light bike... I wonder If I can find them in plastic? Time to visit Google...

Country Joe
October 18th, 2015, 01:47 PM
I have a few of the BIG grey ammo cans, WW2 surplus (thanks grandpa RIP). Ive been thinking about making a frame as I have access to a welder and steel. Oh, and paint. Cant forget paint.

The advantage is they are lockable and waterproof. Disadvantage? HEAVY. Not so good on a super light bike... I wonder If I can find them in plastic? Time to visit Google...

For plastic boxes, look up Pelican cases. They are not real cheap, but very tough.

dcj13
October 22nd, 2015, 01:49 PM
Simple homemade top box for my KLR250. Reinforced the bottom of the box with a piece of plywood and attached it to rack with four structural (175 lb tensile strength) outdoor-rated zip ties.