View Full Version : Battled my demon!

noche_caliente
July 17th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I had the opportunity to pass through the intersection that was the scene of my oops last year. I did it! I did stall once which was what sent me into a panic last year, but I just took a deep breath, glared at my fence post, waited for the next opening in traffic, and went on my VERY MERRY way! I DID IT! That damn intersection didn't stand a chance this time.
Posted via Mobile Device

kkim
July 17th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Congrats, noche! :thumbup:

...just goes to show how much of riding is a mental commitment to stay focused.

have fun, ride safe.
:ride:

patw
July 17th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Great job :)

I still have a twinge of fear every time I go past some place that I made some serious mistake and almost dumped. I think we all know how it feels.

Strider
July 17th, 2009, 01:50 PM
:thumbup: Congrats!
It's always good to conquer those bad spots!
Looking forward to doing it myself soon :)

komohana
July 17th, 2009, 02:15 PM
:cheer2::clap2::clapping::cheers::dancecool::dance::happy100::happy70::happy80:

backinthesaddleagain
July 17th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Congrats. I get weird feelings on corners that others have died on. Then I typically tense up and ride too upright and wide.
Posted via Mobile Device

noche_caliente
July 17th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Thanks guys! I was actually on my way to the doc, and had to explain why my pulse and blood pressure were so high - the nurse is a good friend, so I just told her, adrenaline rush! she smiled and made a note.
I was totally on top of the world, feeling like I'd won a motocross or something - cheering in my helmet even. Ah- to have that off my shoulders....

tjkamper
July 17th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Life is too short and too fragile to live in fear. Way to conquer the beast!

g21-30
July 17th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Way to go!

Flashmonkey
July 17th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Congrats! This is a great step in the right direction :thumbup:

BlueTyke
July 17th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Whoot!! Go Kim!! Way to go!

Cedilla
July 17th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Congrats it always feels good to conquer your fear. My biggest fear was riding in the city in rush hour, after I done it a few times I find it easier and less nerve racking than when im in the cage.

Sound Wave
July 17th, 2009, 08:03 PM
very glad that you were able to face your fear and overcome it.

the first step is always the hardest.

sombo
July 18th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Congrats kim. Way to face your fears and stay strong. :cheer2: :thumbup:

Congrats it always feels good to conquer your fear. My biggest fear was riding in the city in rush hour, after I done it a few times I find it easier and less nerve racking than when im in the cage.

Wow, that's cool because I feel the same way now. When I'm in my car I feel like a big target. I also feel less confident and comfortable then when I'm on the bike on the freeway.

Snake
July 18th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Congats Kim. Glad to hear you won over your fears. This will make you a stronger person.

istreefitty
July 19th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Yes demons are hard to face......but easy to blow by on a ninja 250r! Congrats! and keep on keepin on

OldGuy
July 21st, 2009, 08:18 AM
Way to go Kim - knew you could do it once you put your mind to it. :thumbup:

SF-Dug
July 21st, 2009, 02:19 PM
IMHO.....Motorcycling is 90% mental. The rest is just practice and experience.

edwinmcq
July 21st, 2009, 03:00 PM
Congrats.

There are a few of bridges in DC that scare the crap out of me (even when I'm in my GTI ). The one that really gets me is a long metal grate bridge running to S. Maryland. I hate the feeling of being pulled along by the grating. I read your post and said "lets go get this done". I picked early AM and drove back and forth over the beast until I no longer thought of the bridge, but where I was going to go next.

Thanks.

noche_caliente
July 21st, 2009, 04:13 PM
Ed, I'm glad I could encourage you to do it :) It really wasn't so bad after I forced myself not to think about what was coming up and just enjoy the ride - I'm sure you probably felt the same way. And what year is your GTI? my hubby has a black '02 that is his baby :)

edwinmcq
July 21st, 2009, 07:56 PM
SF-Dug is totally correct.

Riding is mental. It is also highly kinesthetic. You have to train your body and mind that unusual and confusing sensations are normal and nothing to fear. Sometimes practice will overcome this, sometimes cold rationality and just gritting through it (these are the ones who don't have much fun) and sometimes people can't (these are the ones who don't ride).

I don't like riding bicycles. Honestly. What's up with that? Hop on a CBR or the Ninjette and run through DC rush hour...no problem. Get on the Giant and ride around the Mall...not on your life.

The GTI is a 2008. Black with charcoal gray leather. This has been a great car. 23K miles and not a single problem.

http://www.edmcqueen.com/index_files/EDMCQ_NINJA_BLKRABBIT.htm

Cali619
July 21st, 2009, 08:59 PM
WTG , now that your confidence is back you will be riding much safer I think with less SR's(survival reactions) to deal with. Still hard for myself to completely focus and not have funky what if ideas in my head, but once Im in the saddle its like Zen...

sombo
July 22nd, 2009, 04:44 PM
http://www.edmcqueen.com/index_files/EDMCQ_NINJA_BLKRABBIT.htm

Just letting you know the page is not there or has been removed apparently.

kkim
July 22nd, 2009, 05:17 PM

works for me. :confused:

edwinmcq
July 22nd, 2009, 05:23 PM
I switched name servers. The link should work fine. You must have caught it when the move was going down.

sombo
July 22nd, 2009, 09:42 PM
Yup, works fine now. I guess you're right, just bad timing. :D

CZroe
October 13th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Link to original "Oops?" ;)

noche_caliente
October 13th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Link to original "Oops?" ;)

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12123

shadow
October 13th, 2009, 04:00 PM