View Full Version : How does that even work?

xXecuterXx2
October 22nd, 2015, 04:53 PM
So i was here thinkin, how does a dead bike with a dead stator produce electricity to supply to the spark plugs thus igniting the petroleum naphtha creating an explosion to drive the piston which intern deposits exhaust gas thru a "usually" cool sounding exhaust pipe.:D So basically, how does a powerless motorcycle run? or even could it, I've bump started a dead bike, but the stators always been good girl and charged her right up afterwards.^^ very well could be wrong in my elaborate question, but I'm here seeking knowledge. so please folks enlighten me:):)

ninjamunky85
October 22nd, 2015, 05:00 PM
The power of magnets! :)

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9vCAty6T30TzPrp8aLGgQiah1d4QXti1_PRb_O-uo415pBPVp

and

http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/booksellers/press_release/studentscience/gif/induction1.gif

dcj13
October 22nd, 2015, 05:03 PM
:whathesaid:

The stator ain't dead...

xXecuterXx2
October 22nd, 2015, 05:04 PM
dude thanks!! it all makes sense now, any more knowledge to passed around??

(sidenote: your aprilia shiver is one helluva bike, is it comfy? Looks comfy..)

xXecuterXx2
October 22nd, 2015, 05:05 PM
:whathesaid:

The stator ain't dead...

lol my bikes good, it was a hypothetical question, unless someone is actually suffering from this issue as we speak, in which case, its pretty much been solved:)

ninjamunky85
October 22nd, 2015, 05:24 PM
dude thanks!! it all makes sense now, any more knowledge to passed around??

(sidenote: your aprilia shiver is one helluva bike, is it comfy? Looks comfy..)

Thanks,..yeah the shiver is a sweet bike and pretty comfortable. Has a nice cushy seat and good ergos, the nakedness of it means the wind at high speeds will wear you out pretty quick though.

It's perfect for what I need. :thumbup:

xXecuterXx2
October 22nd, 2015, 05:28 PM
sweet!! and by its "nakedness" you mean that you get hit by wind more? so fairings aren't just for major component protection? (also for cooling purposes, not dumb, just here for teh knowledge:D

ninjamunky85
October 22nd, 2015, 05:49 PM
Yep, no fairings and no windscreen (although I do have a small fly screen on it right now) means that you are a lot more exposed to the wind and the elements. The wind is fine at 55, but at 85 it will wear you out quickly. The more upright seating position means the wind is hitting you right in the chest, so you're constantly fighting it.

I'm thinking about getting some lower bars to balance it out.

xXecuterXx2
October 22nd, 2015, 06:11 PM
sweet! thanks bro!

choneofakind
October 22nd, 2015, 06:48 PM
So i was here thinkin, how does a dead bike with a dead stator produce electricity to supply to the spark plugs thus igniting the petroleum naphtha creating an explosion to drive the piston which intern deposits exhaust gas thru a "usually" cool sounding exhaust pipe.

#tryingtoohard

...I had to look up your usage of Naptha.

Motofool
October 22nd, 2015, 08:00 PM
........... So basically, how does a powerless motorcycle run?.......

Many motorcycles don't even have a battery.

Take a look:
http://www.dansmc.com/magneto1.htm

Here is the explanation of the principle that makes it work:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_induction

:crazyloco:

Jono
October 22nd, 2015, 08:09 PM
Yep, no fairings and no windscreen (although I do have a small fly screen on it right now) means that you are a lot more exposed to the wind and the elements. The wind is fine at 55, but at 85 it will wear you out quickly. The more upright seating position means the wind is hitting you right in the chest, so you're constantly fighting it.

I'm thinking about getting some lower bars to balance it out.

Do you really find the nakedness wears you out that badly?

I rode my Street Triple down to B'ham a few weekends ago and the wind never really bothered me. I was doing 75+ the whole time too. I mean riding at 90+ for a long time would get annoying.

choneofakind
October 22nd, 2015, 08:11 PM
nakedness, huh????
http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z464/mccall187/squid/killboy.jpg

SLOWn60
October 22nd, 2015, 08:48 PM
If it's good enough for Rossi:

xXecuterXx2
October 22nd, 2015, 10:15 PM
#tryingtoohard

...I had to look up your usage of Naptha.
Lol dude that was totally intentional, 1 in 3 people actually know what the hell "naptha is, i call it gas:)

and thanks Motofool for passin the knowledge my way!! i appreciate it:)

Motofool
October 23rd, 2015, 03:46 AM
............. and thanks Motofool for passin the knowledge my way!! i appreciate it:)

You are welcome :)

tgold
October 23rd, 2015, 04:40 AM
Wishing I could poke out my mind's eye right now. :puke:

choneofakind
October 23rd, 2015, 09:19 AM
Lol dude that was totally intentional, 1 in 3 people actually know what the hell "naptha is, i call it gas:)

Well... in your definition of naptha, it's just a flammable substance containing hydro carbons. So yes, gasoline falls into that. As does diesel, etc.

The only reference to Naptha I have is in a refinery context. There's heavy nap and light nap, defined by different hydrocarbon level and how long their chain was (or something. That's all the chemistry side of it. I'm not strong on that aspect...). It's more common in the distillate and light product side of the plant and is basically super potent kerosene. It got run back through some process and put back into the product somehow. Again, chemistry side of the operation.

Alls I know is that if you had a nap leak, it would set of your gas tester and stink very bad, very quickly. It's also great for cleaning equipment that's covered in vac bottoms (basically flammable tar) or crude ;)

ninjamunky85
October 23rd, 2015, 01:42 PM
Do you really find the nakedness wears you out that badly?

Coming from the 300, and the 250 before it, the switch to a naked bike was definitely noticeable for me. I had to stop wearing my old Arai helmet because the wind was actually pushing it into my face at highway speeds... Probably a good indication that I need to retire that helmet, or at least get a new liner for it.

Cruising at 80+ was definitely easier on the ninja. I could actually lay on the tank and be in a bubble of still air if I wanted to. Being on a naked bike means you have nowhere to hide lol... It also means you're more exposed to the elements. When it's cold you'll get cold quicker, when it rains you'll get wet quicker. Riding in the rain on the ninja my legs would barely get wet, not so on the shiver.

Like I said it works fine for me. I don't like doing long highway trips on a bike anyway. If I've got somewhere to go and I know I'm gonna be on the highway for hours on end I'll take the cage. Turn on the cruise control, turn up the radio and enjoy the ride, not having to feel bad that I'm wearing out the center of my tires by driving hundreds of miles in a straight line.

I have found that I actually like the naked bike experience better though overall. Being on a faster bike it helps to keep my speeds in check and I find it to be a more pure feeling, not as detached I guess. I'm planning on doing another moto camping trip next spring, this time on the shiver. I'll be sticking to the back roads as much as possible though for sure. :thumbup:

xXecuterXx2
October 24th, 2015, 07:52 PM
Well... in your definition of naptha, it's just a flammable substance containing hydro carbons. So yes, gasoline falls into that. As does diesel, etc.

The only reference to Naptha I have is in a refinery context. There's heavy nap and light nap, defined by different hydrocarbon level and how long their chain was (or something. That's all the chemistry side of it. I'm not strong on that aspect...). It's more common in the distillate and light product side of the plant and is basically super potent kerosene. It got run back through some process and put back into the product somehow. Again, chemistry side of the operation.

Alls I know is that if you had a nap leak, it would set of your gas tester and stink very bad, very quickly. It's also great for cleaning equipment that's covered in vac bottoms (basically flammable tar) or crude ;)

#tryingtoohard

(Lol Jk, but i still call it gas:p)

choneofakind
October 25th, 2015, 06:45 AM
Face palm.

xXecuterXx2
October 25th, 2015, 06:48 AM
:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao: