View Full Version : stock size jets???

scorpio_vette
July 20th, 2009, 06:15 AM
anybody here what size the stock jets are???

altomista
July 20th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Keihin 105

kkim
July 20th, 2009, 10:59 AM
anybody here what size the stock jets are???

what year is your bike?

scorpio_vette
July 20th, 2009, 11:07 AM
oh sorry. can't believe i did that. 2007.

kkim
July 20th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Al is correct... 105.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Can_I_improve_carb_performance_without_buying_a_whole_jet_kit%3F

scorpio_vette
July 20th, 2009, 11:24 AM
that's only the main though, what about the pilot jet.

i've always been thought to jet them matched across the board (depending also on what you are tuning to).

on my 04 volusia when i re-jetted it for cold running and choke issues, and then added the air pods, i upped the pilot AND main jet, and absolutely love what it's done for my bike.

so 105 is the stock main, and anybody know the pilot size???

kkim
July 20th, 2009, 11:25 AM
okay... what is it about the power band that you're trying to fix?

scorpio_vette
July 20th, 2009, 11:38 AM
okay... what is it about the power band that you're trying to fix?

i'm still working on this issue. http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23931 right now i only have the stock parts, so i'm trying to get the stock parts to work. but since they are set lean from the factory, and you can't adjust what doesn't exist, i want to bump the jetting just a hair.

and since i have to remove the airbox to get to the carbs, i want to remove the box for pods for future simplicity, which will then require a jetting.

so my plan is

1) work with what i have now and try to get the stock parts to work properly.

2) research the stock jetting sizes, etc...order a few jets and then tune the bike to my purposes/requirements. it's not going on the track or anything, so i don't have to necessarily tune it for max power. and the more i'm researching my issues, the more i'm running into a lean issue. so by jetting, i'll give myself a "range" in which i can adjust the fuel mixture. but without rejetting, i can't make the stock mixture any richer because it's limited by what's in it.

also had a guy yesterday tell me that he's never seen a small bike with pipes as blue as mine which is also an indicator of lean condition.

i've been spending the last week just reading, reading, reading and reading. read the service manual from front to back 2x, been reading material on carburetors, etc..etc...etc... ever read/study so much that your head hurts??? :D:D:D

kkim
July 20th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I'd recommend using this as a guide...

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_want_to_improve_my_carburetor_jetting

altomista
July 20th, 2009, 11:54 AM
The pilot jet is #38.

You don't need to remove the air box just to remove the carburetors. In fact, it's actually less of a pain in the ass to leave the air box in. If you want another half inch of room to get the carburetors in, remove the bracket that holds the airbox in place in the top front of the airbox. Then remove the battery and remove the two bolts that mount the airbox to inner rear fender. You should now be able to move the airbox an extra half inch.

scorpio_vette
July 20th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I'd recommend using this as a guide...

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_want_to_improve_my_carburetor_jetting

yeah that's also among the things i read, but it still doesn't mention the pilot jet.

you can't just improve the fuel supply in the mid/top range, and not bother with the bottom range. i would like it to idle as well as scream. not only run when i'm on the gas.

kkim
July 20th, 2009, 12:01 PM
yeah that's also among the things i read, but it still doesn't mention the pilot jet.

you can't just improve the fuel supply in the mid/top range, and not bother with the bottom range. i would like it to idle as well as scream. not only run when i'm on the gas.

lol... again, the jetting specs are in the manual. :D

With your other problems going on, you need to fix that first before thinking of rejetting otherwise you will be jetting around a problem.... not good.

get the bike running well with the stock jetting first, then after that issue is solved, work to fine tune the jetting to improve on the stock baseline.

scorpio_vette
July 20th, 2009, 11:13 PM
lol... again, the jetting specs are in the manual. :D

With your other problems going on, you need to fix that first before thinking of rejetting otherwise you will be jetting around a problem.... not good.

get the bike running well with the stock jetting first, then after that issue is solved, work to fine tune the jetting to improve on the stock baseline.

yes, i totally agree. we're on the same wavelenght there. i just like researching and learning and planning BEFORE i decide to do something. i really hate it when i get bored and want to work on something and don't know what the hell is going on. so i always try to stay a step ahead of myself.

sounds like i need to read that manual cover to cover one or two more times. apparently one time wasn't enough..................................must memorize service manual.:D:D:D

scorpio_vette
July 20th, 2009, 11:15 PM
The pilot jet is #38.

You don't need to remove the air box just to remove the carburetors. In fact, it's actually less of a pain in the ass to leave the air box in. If you want another half inch of room to get the carburetors in, remove the bracket that holds the airbox in place in the top front of the airbox. Then remove the battery and remove the two bolts that mount the airbox to inner rear fender. You should now be able to move the airbox an extra half inch.

well i pulled the carbs tonight. i looked at the bike a bit, and ended up taking all the bolts that hold the front 1/2 of the rear wheel well liner out and slid the liner back and down. then the airbox moved back like 2".

that was SOOO much quicker and easier than trying to take that thing apart like last time. i honestly think i could probably get those carbs pulled in roughly 10-15minutes if i do it a couple more times. LOL