View Full Version : advice for a big job interview?

Rayme
July 21st, 2009, 02:33 PM
..well actually it's not that much of a big job..

I'm currently going through a hiring process and it's quite the laborious process... I'm going to go to my 5th appointment next week for the potential job..Let just say, I'm currently employed and running out of excuse to get out of the office to go to interviews :mad: hopefully it pays off..

Anyway, the last interview is with the owner of the company and I'm pretty nervous..as I got the OK obviously from all the 7 people that interviewed me before...but he's going to get the last word obviously..and I'm nervous like never before..anybody has tips when I shake the hand of a billionaire? :confused::boink: I'm a little overwhelmed.

Alex
July 21st, 2009, 02:59 PM
Depends, is that a billion Canadian or US? :p

It's clear that you've already presented yourself well to a number of folks there, to the extent that you're getting this final interview in the first place. Seems to me you should continue to do whatever you've already been successfully doing. Be confident, friendly, high-energy, try not to be nervous, or at least do your best to not appear so.

What I've found helps in interviews, especially the more high pressure ones, is to not feel that you have to start responding the instant the interviewer finishes a question. In other words, take a moment to actually think about what you're trying to get across in your answer before the words come flying out of your piehole. It's perfectly OK to say things such as "Hmm, let me think about that for a moment", if that 5 or 10 seconds allows a much better answer to be formed. Of course if you then come out with a clunker.... :)

zartan
July 21st, 2009, 11:32 PM
I find you just have to be yourself, breathe so you can think and LISTEN to his questions before answering as Alex suggested.

Remember, with respect of course. he drools when he sleeps, poops and walks around with a t-shirt and only briefs on ( shudder).
So show professional respect but remember he is just as human as you when it comes down to it.

Continue how you have been acting. You made it this far and you are serious!

dont courtsey. GOOD LUCK :)

Rayme
August 6th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Hey guys , i know nobody care (lol) but i got the job. 4 years of wasted college education down the drain lol but finally a job that pays well, at 27 it couldnt come at a better time. To anybody struggling out there, keep your eyes open at all time and never burn bridges with your previous employers!
Posted via Mobile Device

kkim
August 6th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Hey guys , i know nobody care (lol) but i got the job. 4 years of wasted college education down the drain lol but finally a job that pays well, at 27 it couldnt come at a better time. To anybody struggling out there, keep your eyes open at all time and never burn bridges with your previous employers!
Posted via Mobile Device

Congrats!

Good advice.

CC Cowboy
August 6th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Congrats! What is it that you do?

Rayme
August 6th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Machine operator in a plant.

CC Cowboy
August 6th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Machining motorcycle parts?

g21-30
August 6th, 2009, 02:08 PM
4 years of wasted college education down the drain l

You will use that education everyday! Believe me when I say it wasn't wasted! :thumbup:

Rayme
August 6th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Machining motorcycle parts?

No, diapers :D

You will use that education everyday! Believe me when I say it wasn't wasted! :thumbup:

I used it for 3 years and until next week. :D

istreefitty
August 8th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I dont know I mean I am enlisted in the USAF and long story short I can speak write and understand Mandarin chinese, but the guy who earned his history degree and is too lazy to purse other degrees to teach it is telling me what to do. Unless you are and engineer, lawyer, medical person, ect all a degree screams is "I waisted 4 years of my life and A LOT of money to prove I can be dedicated to something." That is how you will use your eductation

noche_caliente
August 9th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Remy - Congratulations!!!!

Michael, there are so many flaws with your statement, I don't even know where to begin, and don't really want to waste my time... but I will say this - it is not the textbook material you learn that is most valuable - it is the though processes and skills that you learn that are the most important in my opinion

istreefitty
August 9th, 2009, 10:59 AM
I would have to agree with you. The situations and life lessons you have been through are paramount. My qualm with education is we place a great amount of importance on it. Who is better qualified an accoutant with his BS in accounting but has been working for 6 years as an accountant or sn accoutantfresh out of college with his MBA??? Answer me this, aside from highly skilled proffessions ( doctors lawyers engineers etc) when was the last time you ( or anyone for that matter) use some significant portion of your higher education training at work?? Also if you look at it statistcally most jobs put education as least important for job hiring ( by education I mean what school your grades and so on). As far as what I was saying with the USAF, I know there are idiot officers. To become one all you need is a 4 year degree from somewhere. And 90% of the brand new ones haven't learned the proper skill set to become effective leaders and that is what upsetsost of the enlisted community. These people are just like newly enlisted folk in that they haven't developed the needed skills to be a leader but yet they get paid more and the only discerning quality is they have obtained a 4 yr degree ( not in every case )
Posted via Mobile Device

EngrNewf
August 9th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Congrats!

ninjabrewer
August 9th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Congrats on the new job.

nb