View Full Version : Twilight Ride around Utah Lake

tjkamper
July 22nd, 2009, 07:33 AM
Saturday evening on the spur of the moment I decided to take nice little jaunt to relax after a busy day of ridiculously tedious chores from the honey-do list. My wife was looking board so I asked her if she wanted to come along. She quickly agreed and we called my daughters grandmother to baby sit and we were gearing up about 15 minutes later.

We took off at 7:30 and the sun was still shining just before the twilight hours. As we set out I decided to take us up behind the lake as there are some nice neighborhoods with pretty homes on the way. As we rode around we marveled at the larger homes and tried to remember why we didn’t live out that far from civilization.

As the homes grew sparser we met found ourselves on a long stretch of road that ran all the way behind Utah Lake. Being as dusk was upon us I made the decision to keep going in hopes of seeing some wild life in the unsettled land on the west side of the lake.

The ride was nice a relaxing, with long sloping turns, raises, drops and a brief quarter mile of twisties. About halfway behind the lake we spotted an enormous antelope. So I came to a stop along side the road and fiddled for my camera. The animal was magnificent and casually stared back at us. I zoomed in the camera to take a picture and as I clicked the shutter the camera powered down and the screen went blank… Dead battery! So forgive me for the lack of any pictures to this write up.

Soon the antelope trotted off and we were off again. We continued until we came up on a little town with nothing more than a closed down gas station and then headed east to circumvent the lake.

We passed through several quaint little towns and enjoyed the cool breeze as we passed over bridges spanning the different little creeks and river beds branching off the lake.

After another half hour we met up with the interstate and shot straight home. All in all it was a great evening and a nice jaunt with my wife. It was about 90 miles and took just over two hours. I have attached a map of the route we took.

BlueRaven
July 22nd, 2009, 07:43 AM
wow looks like a beautiful ride.

M-Oorb
July 22nd, 2009, 08:40 AM
Best way to unwind is a good ride. Great reason to convince a significant other about why getting a bike is a great idea...could even save a marriage or two haha. Looks like a fantastic ride...

Blue Monkey
September 10th, 2009, 11:04 PM
You passed right behind my house. If i had been looking i might have even seen you go by. Everytime a motorcycle goes by my boys and I look out the window to see what kind it is. It is a fun ride around the lake, I have done it myself a few times. I'll be watching for you.

tjkamper
September 11th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Cool. Can't wait for the 26th Alpine Loop ride.

maglin
September 11th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Great! I've been before at Salt Lake City and loved it!

tjkamper
September 11th, 2009, 07:51 AM
SLC is a long ways away from home for you. What brought you here?

maglin
September 11th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Yes it is...:D

Job-Holidays ;)