View Full Version : Function of empty threads on each handlebar?

Momaru
July 23rd, 2009, 09:47 PM
Fiddling around the other day I noticed the plastic dummy caps (part 11065-0218 on the OEM parts listing) covering an empty threaded socket on each handlebar.

Now, I know I haven't finished the cover to cover of my my service manual so it might be in there, and please say so if it is. But does anyone know what those sockets are for? Thinking about possibly using them as a hardpoint for a mount of some kind. Haven't decided what I wanna put in just yet, if anything, just brainstorming.

kkim
July 23rd, 2009, 09:50 PM
old mirror mounting points for other model bikes Kawasaki stole the lever perches from for the 250R.

Finder
August 1st, 2009, 10:46 PM
RAM brainwashed Kawasaki to leave them there so you can mount two threaded 1" RAM Balls for accessories! :)

Momaru
August 2nd, 2009, 06:32 PM
Haha, that's exactly what I was thinking of putting there, but was having trouble finding an appropriate RAM mount for the bike; they kept wanting me to use the front brake reservoir mount. Problem solved now, but still on the fence as to whether it'll happen.

Finder
August 2nd, 2009, 07:25 PM
I have two of the balls coming in now. I believe they are M10x1.25 threaded based on this guys posting:

http://www.theyeagergroup.com/ninja_250_RAM_Mount.htm

I'll confirm once they come in. This is where I ordered them from.

http://www.gomobilenow.com/RAM_B_349_RAM_BASE_W_M10_X_1_25_PITCH_1_BALL_p/ram-b-349.htm

Momaru
August 2nd, 2009, 09:38 PM
Thanks a bunch for the heads-up about the thread spec, was just about to ask. Now just to find something that's decently well protected and secure for my Zune. RAM (like seemingly 90% of MP3 motorcycle mount makers) doesn't seem interested in Microshaft. I'll spider around for something tomorrow, unless someone cares to beat me to it :D

Finder
August 16th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Just want to confirm for everyone that the M10x1.25 RAM Balls are the correct fit. Got my Zumo on one side, and my SPOT mount on the other. Long live empty mirror mounts!

Alex
August 16th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Thx for the followup! I've just got a u-bolt mount around the left clip-on, but I may consider moving it to one of these if I get bored; that would be a much cleaner looking mount.

demp
August 17th, 2009, 07:24 AM
forgive my ignorance but what caps are we talking about?

looking at the pictures on there... part of the clutch assembly?

CRXTrek
August 17th, 2009, 09:06 AM
forgive my ignorance but what caps are we talking about?

looking at the pictures on there... part of the clutch assembly?

One is right next to the Choke Lever. The other is next to the front brake reservoir.