View Full Version : How will the 250r do in a shed for the winter?

IdRatherDrum
December 4th, 2015, 12:00 PM
Hey all,

So my previous plans failed. My landlord is not happy with the bike in my apartment room and is asking me to take it out. Luckily it is not horrible yet in Michigan so I need to figure out something to do.

My buddy offered me his shed for the winter behind his house. My only concern is, is this bad for the bike? I know it is ideal to be in a climate controlled area but this might be my only option. Climate controlled storage units seem expensive from what I have researched.

I already have STA-BIL in the bike and changed the oil, wash it and lubed the chain. His place is only a 5 minute ride so I assume I won't need to reapply any of these things.

There is a chance the shed has an electrical outlet that I could use for the battery tender. If not, is it bad/hard to remove the battery?

A lot of questions in this one but I need to figure this out!

Thanks so much!

csmith12
December 4th, 2015, 12:03 PM
It will be no problem to store in the shed.
The battery is easy to remove; remove black panels from sides, remove seat, remove battery.

IdRatherDrum
December 4th, 2015, 12:09 PM
It will be no problem to store in the shed.
The battery is easy to remove; remove black panels from sides, remove seat, remove battery.

Fluids won't freeze up? It gets cold here in Michigan.

Are there tons of things attached to the battery?

Panda
December 4th, 2015, 12:40 PM
The bike will most likely explode.

csmith12
December 4th, 2015, 12:41 PM
Your fluids will be fine for the most part unless you see some temps that dip below the freezing point of your coolant (water/antifreeze mix). That temp should be around -20 through -40. Expect problems past that point. I normally just drain the coolant... but I do not run antifreeze.

There should only be 2 or 3 wires attached to the battery and should be a piece of cake to disconnect and reconnect. Take a pic with your phone before hand so you get everything back in place without question. :)

IdRatherDrum
December 4th, 2015, 12:58 PM
Your fluids will be fine for the most part unless you see some temps that dip below the freezing point of your coolant (water/antifreeze mix). That temp should be around -20 through -40. Expect problems past that point. I normally just drain the coolant... but I do not run antifreeze.

There should only be 2 or 3 wires attached to the battery and should be a piece of cake to disconnect and reconnect. Take a pic with your phone before hand so you get everything back in place without question. :)

Got it! Won't be that bad here! I should be fine keeping it in. Going to remove the battery and just keep it on the tender individually. Thanks!

jkv45
December 4th, 2015, 01:17 PM
I would confirm the freezing point of your coolant to be safe.

I stored my new 2006 SV in an unheated shed over IL winters for 5 years without any issues. I like to bump the tires up to 40 or so, change the oil, check the coolant, remove the battery, and fill the tank with stabilized gas (ethanol-free if available)- most of which you have covered already.

I also always drain the floatbowls when when storing any engine with carbs.

IdRatherDrum
December 4th, 2015, 05:19 PM
I would confirm the freezing point of your coolant to be safe.

I stored my new 2006 SV in an unheated shed over IL winters for 5 years without any issues. I like to bump the tires up to 40 or so, change the oil, check the coolant, remove the battery, and fill the tank with stabilized gas (ethanol-free if available)- most of which you have covered already.

I also always drain the floatbowls when when storing any engine with carbs.

Not sure what coolant is in the bike.

cbinker
December 4th, 2015, 05:38 PM
most likely this:

https://content.kawasaki.com/content/uploads/accessories/K61081004B/K61081004A-130758783860675693.jpg

Ghostt
December 4th, 2015, 05:41 PM
When I doubt, change it. Buy the premix stuff, the system doesn't hold a lot.

Also don't forget the Sta-Bil, I recommend this one, don't forget to run the bike for awhile after adding it, to make sure it's fully in the carburetors.

http://www.goldeagle.com/product/sta-bil-360-marine

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/aplusautomation/vendorimages/f3a8535d-6898-4566-ae5b-de22a2f056a3._CB291181255_.jpg

InvisiBill
December 4th, 2015, 05:46 PM
Standard 50/50 ethylene glycol is good down to -34°F. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ethylene-glycol-d_146.html

They're saying we're supposed to have a pretty mild winter, and just being in the shed and out of the wind will help moderate the temps a bit. I wouldn't worry about it unless we end up getting a REALLY bad winter.

IdRatherDrum
December 4th, 2015, 06:15 PM
Standard 50/50 ethylene glycol is good down to -34°F. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ethylene-glycol-d_146.html

They're saying we're supposed to have a pretty mild winter, and just being in the shed and out of the wind will help moderate the temps a bit. I wouldn't worry about it unless we end up getting a REALLY bad winter.

I have heard the same. Given the temperatures right now it DEFINITELY seems like it is going to be mild.

Is it okay to keep the battery on the tender off the bike?

csmith12
December 4th, 2015, 06:27 PM

Of course it is. :)

IdRatherDrum
December 4th, 2015, 06:50 PM
Of course it is. :)

Woot! This isn't as bas as I thought.

Ghostt
December 4th, 2015, 08:26 PM
Just be aware when charging a battery, some Sulfuric gas will occur, if it's not a sealed.

Under normal conditions, this is nothing to worry about, as long as its on a well ventilated area.

IdRatherDrum
December 4th, 2015, 08:27 PM
Just be aware when charging a battery, some Sulfuric gas will occur, if it's not a sealed.

Under normal conditions, this is nothing to worry about, as long as its on a well ventilated area.

Hmmm, I was planning on setting it on the floor of my apartment room next to an outlet. Will this suffice?

Foxrider64
December 4th, 2015, 09:46 PM
Does the shed have a floor or is just the ground? Lifting the bike off the ground with stands is not a bad idea if it's on the ground. Not terribly detrimental- but I live in FL so I don't know anything about winterizing bikes :)

IdRatherDrum
December 4th, 2015, 10:40 PM
Does the shed have a floor or is just the ground? Lifting the bike off the ground with stands is not a bad idea if it's on the ground. Not terribly detrimental- but I live in FL so I don't know anything about winterizing bikes :)

Not sure about the floor situation. I have stands so it's no biggie!

jkv45
December 5th, 2015, 07:35 AM
I have heard the same. Given the temperatures right now it DEFINITELY seems like it is going to be mild.

A "tender" is designed to only charge when needed, as compared to a "charger" that charges continuously.

It's really not necessary to use a tender. The oem battery in the '06 was still working OK when I replaced it in '12, and I only charged it occasionally over the winter, for a few hours at 1A, maybe once a month tops.

Buy a cheap antifreeze tester and confirm what the freeze point is - I wouldn't assume it's ok or the winter will be mind. If it doesn't look good, or you have no idea how old it is, I would replace it.

IdRatherDrum
December 5th, 2015, 08:29 AM
A "tender" is designed to only charge when needed, as compared to a "charger" that charges continuously.

It's really not necessary to use a tender. The oem battery in the '06 was still working OK when I replaced it in '12, and I only charged it occasionally over the winter, for a few hours at 1A, maybe once a month tops.

Buy a cheap antifreeze tester and confirm what the freeze point is - I wouldn't assume it's ok or the winter will be mind. If it doesn't look good, or you have no idea how old it is, I would replace it.

The battery tender jr is designed to stay plugged in and trickle charge the battery for long periods of time.

jkv45
December 5th, 2015, 08:36 AM
The battery tender jr is designed to stay plugged in and trickle charge the battery for long periods of time.

That's what I meant - it stays plugged in and only charges when it's needed.

bruce71198
December 5th, 2015, 08:41 AM
Mice love to take up residence in air boxes during the winter. Check before spring start up.

IdRatherDrum
December 5th, 2015, 10:05 AM
Mice love to take up residence in air boxes during the winter. Check before spring start up.

That makes me nervous haha.

InvisiBill
December 5th, 2015, 10:14 AM
Stuff some old rags in the intake and exhaust holes to keep unwanted things out. Critters with teeth might still be able to get in eventually, but at least you're not presenting them with a nice little cave to hide in.

jkv45
December 5th, 2015, 10:42 AM
True. Had that happen to our XRs one year. They somehow found the snorkel under the seat and filled the airbox with seeds and acorns.

Ghostt
December 5th, 2015, 12:12 PM
Duct tape the openings solves that.

IdRatherDrum
December 5th, 2015, 12:28 PM
Duct tape the openings solves that.

Like the exhaust and such?

Ghostt
December 5th, 2015, 12:53 PM
Like the exhaust and such?

Sure, why not. Dirt bikes use exhaust plugs, which could also be used for street bikes

Example:
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/z-4AAMXQigBSLzdi/s-l300.jpg

Just remember to remove all tape when your ready to ride.

snot
December 5th, 2015, 05:37 PM
if it hasn't been said, fill the gas tank too.
I wouldn't set the battery directly on the floor. I would place a plastic tray under it in case the battery leaks. I personally would not charge it in my living area. I would rather buy a New battery at the beginning of the season than risk all the hazards with charging in my home.

IdRatherDrum
December 7th, 2015, 07:17 PM
if it hasn't been said, fill the gas tank too.
I wouldn't set the battery directly on the floor. I would place a plastic tray under it in case the battery leaks. I personally would not charge it in my living area. I would rather buy a New battery at the beginning of the season than risk all the hazards with charging in my home.

So I managed to take the battery out. Was stupid easy. So what would be the best way for me to charge it? I have my battery tender jr. I am sure that would be fine?

Ghostt
December 7th, 2015, 07:21 PM
So I managed to take the battery out. Was stupid easy. So what would be the best way for me to charge it? I have my battery tender jr. I am sure that would be fine?

Yes, just plug it in, and leave it til your ready in the spring.

IdRatherDrum
December 7th, 2015, 07:23 PM
Yes, just plug it in, and leave it til your ready in the spring.

So it's fine to just charge all winter? Is it actually going to leak fluids? I don't see how it would.

Foxrider64
December 7th, 2015, 07:30 PM
So it's fine to just charge all winter? Is it actually going to leak fluids? I don't see how it would.

The battery tender only sends current to the battery when it drops below certain levels and allows it to cycle normally. I will not--should not-- over charge the battery and the likelihood of it actually leaking is very low but the others are suggesting to have some back up plan in the event that it does.

IdRatherDrum
December 7th, 2015, 07:31 PM
The battery tender only sends current to the battery when it drops below certain levels and allows it to cycle normally. I will not--should not-- over charge the battery and the likelihood of it actually leaking is very low but the others are suggesting to have some back up plan in the event that it does.

So would cardboard under it suffice?

Ghostt
December 7th, 2015, 08:16 PM
So would cardboard under it suffice?

Think cheap plastic tray, etc..... Remember sulfuric acid

IdRatherDrum
December 7th, 2015, 08:30 PM
Think cheap plastic tray, etc..... Remember sulfuric acid

Thanks!