View Full Version : The code to replace you with logged in username.

HoneyBadgerRy
December 9th, 2015, 07:46 AM
I know there is a way to make your signature say peoples username, how do you do it? Is it you with colons on the sides or?

csmith12
December 9th, 2015, 07:53 AM
its the [ you ] bb tag

HoneyBadgerRy
December 9th, 2015, 07:54 AM
Thanks.

cbinker
December 16th, 2015, 07:12 PM
is stupid.

HoneyBadgerRy
December 16th, 2015, 07:15 PM
It worked for like one minuet, then it stopped working in my signature. It still works in comments though.

SLOWn60
December 16th, 2015, 07:19 PM
is stupid.

I resemble that remark!

HoneyBadgerRy
December 16th, 2015, 07:21 PM
I resemble that remark!

Yeah you're right. SLOWn60 is stupid. /S

SLOWn60
December 16th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Yeah you're right. SLOWn60 is stupid. /S

Normally I wouldn't dignify a comment like that with a response but as I'm one post away from being halfway to "Helpful"; I'll add to my post count! :)

cbinker
December 16th, 2015, 07:27 PM
check my sig Yo.

HoneyBadgerRy
December 16th, 2015, 07:34 PM
Normally I wouldn't dignify a comment like that with a response but as I'm one post away from being halfway to "Helpful"; I'll add to my post count! :)

I have a feeling that means that you didnt know /S stands for sarcasm.

HoneyBadgerRy
December 16th, 2015, 07:35 PM
check my sig Yo.

Why do I have a feeling you didn't use the bb code?

NevadaWolf
December 16th, 2015, 07:43 PM
It worked for like one minuet, then it stopped working in my signature. It still works in comments though.

It comes and goes. My sig bounces between showing the code and showing a username.

HoneyBadgerRy
December 16th, 2015, 07:46 PM
It comes and goes. My sig bounces between showing the code and showing a username.

:thumbup:

SLOWn60
December 16th, 2015, 09:33 PM
I have a feeling that means that you didnt know /S stands for sarcasm.

I didn't but I know it was all good!
...on the other hand; I may have just proved you right! :)

HEY! That's post 500 for me! I'm officially half way to granting helpful post awards!
Unless Alex has the Christmas spirit going in full gear and gets me what I really, really want! :angel:

Alex
December 17th, 2015, 01:50 AM

It works every time when people other than you are viewing the post. It's in edit mode where it sometimes shows as the code, sometimes in the sig as well. But everybody else always just sees what they are supposed to, as nobody can see anyone else's posts while they are in edit mode.

NevadaWolf
December 17th, 2015, 08:51 AM
It's in edit mode where it sometimes shows as the code, sometimes in the sig as well.

huh?

I've seen the code in my sig while just scrolling though messages and not editing. Next time I see it, I'll pop into this thread and get a screen shot for you.

HoneyBadgerRy
December 17th, 2015, 08:56 AM
huh?

I've seen the code in my sig while just scrolling though messages and not editing. Next time I see it, I'll pop into this thread and get a screen shot for you.

Same

NevadaWolf
January 26th, 2016, 04:22 PM
Hey Alex

Here is what happens to me. I tend to notice it mostly after I use the Quick Reply at the bottom of the thread. After I hit submit, the screen refreshes as my comment posts, and then it centers on my comment. As you can see, not in edit mode but the tag in my sig is not showing the username.

The first "you" is the code, the second one has "noparse" around it, so should never show.

csmith12
January 26th, 2016, 04:49 PM
ajax is fun from time to time.. :)

Alex
January 26th, 2016, 06:09 PM
Hey Alex

Here is what happens to me. I tend to notice it mostly after I use the Quick Reply at the bottom of the thread. After I hit submit, the screen refreshes as my comment posts, and then it centers on my comment. As you can see, not in edit mode but the tag in my sig is not showing the username.

The first "you" is the code, the second one has "noparse" around it, so should never show.

Right, but it comes down to what Chris says here ---->

ajax is fun from time to time.. :)

You are still in edit mode, in a sense. For the quick reply, it is only updating part of the page (that post alone), and it evidently doesn't go through all of the same parsing logic as when the full page is drawn. If you hold shift down and hit the reload button for the whole page, it will likely work just fine.

NevadaWolf
January 26th, 2016, 06:54 PM
Okies.

Said I'd share, I did, been edumacated, and all is good. :)

InvisiBill
April 21st, 2016, 05:57 PM
Kinda related, I noticed that the tag doesn't work in blog entries. I'm not sure if this is intended or an oversight, but just thought I'd point it out in case nobody else noticed it.

P.S. If you want to make a post explaining how to use tags, putting "noparse" tags around them will cause them not to be parsed by vB, so you'll see the actual tags in the post, rather than the username, image, link, etc.

will cause the reader to see instead of .

Alex
April 21st, 2016, 06:14 PM
Weird! I wonder why vB used a different bbcode parsing engine for just the blog module.

InvisiBill
April 23rd, 2016, 07:20 AM
Weird! I wonder why vB used a different bbcode parsing engine for just the blog module.

Another little weirdism... If you search for all of my posts (https://www.ninjette.org/forums/search.php?do=finduser&u=10875), the preview of my post above ("I noticed that the tag doesn't work") shows the substituted username instead of the tag. I assume there's some sort of iterated looping done in generating the page of previews, and the followup loop(s) receive the post with the "noparse" tag already used up, so the "you" tag ends up getting processed.

Based on the mods I did with phpBB, I know how complicated this stuff can get. I don't really expect you to fix it (it really is a very minor thing), but I just thought I'd point it out.

And now that I think about it, even this post itself might end up doing the same thing, if my quote of the first post is close enough to the beginning to make it into this post's preview.
EDIT: Yup, it does!