View Full Version : How much do you lean your bike?

angrycrow
July 25th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Hey guys i just started this thread to see how far you guys get over on your bikes , when you ride on the street. Im doing this left hander doing 60mph , when i look at the picture and see the tire contact i think if i lean it anymore ill lowside. cant wait to see everyone's pictures.:D

almost40
July 25th, 2009, 12:51 PM
You have a ways to go before a lowside. I rubbed off all the rubber and some of the metal on the nipple on the underside of the stock pegs and had no problems on stock tires. (501's)

kkim
July 25th, 2009, 12:54 PM
How much do you lean your bike?

...as little as I need to get through the turn. Body positioning, peg weighting and bar pressure all combine to make for very different cornering styles.

Xuracing
July 25th, 2009, 01:03 PM
til my knee hits the ground :)

M-Oorb
July 25th, 2009, 05:36 PM
While on the topic of cornering styles...I eventually want to take an advanced riding class but as of now do not have the time. Does anyone know of any good books that they have used that they would recommend for riding techniques...
Posted via Mobile Device

kkim
July 25th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Do you have a copy of "Twist of the Wrist, vol.2"?

M-Oorb
July 25th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Negative ghostrider. Should I invest?
Posted via Mobile Device

g21-30
July 25th, 2009, 06:11 PM
http://www.totalcontroltraining.net/

http://www.totalcontroltraining.net/IMAGES/RIDING_PIX/FrontPage.jpg

Check the youtube video at the above link! One of his instructors teaches this class in Frederick Maryland at one of the colleges!

sharky nrk
July 25th, 2009, 06:58 PM
How much do you lean your bike?

...as little as I need to get through the turn. Body positioning, peg weighting and bar pressure all combine to make for very different cornering styles.

exactly my thoughts

sharky nrk
July 25th, 2009, 06:59 PM
While on the topic of cornering styles...I eventually want to take an advanced riding class but as of now do not have the time. Does anyone know of any good books that they have used that they would recommend for riding techniques...
Posted via Mobile Device

i have sport riding techniques - has some focus on street riding and track

Alex
July 25th, 2009, 09:36 PM
There's a number of good motorcycling skills books listed in this sticky thread (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13547).

angrycrow
July 26th, 2009, 12:46 AM
anyone care to share pictures??

sharky nrk
July 26th, 2009, 10:43 AM
i would love to if i had someone to take them for me - something tells me its wrong to ask my pregnant wife to stand in the heat on the corner with a camera lol

P1NDLESK1N
July 26th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Real men lean the bike all the way to the plastics... Right? :o

247Nino
July 26th, 2009, 02:56 PM

Thats right, to the plastics, I did it last year. Even with lots of years of riding experience, the wrong time and place put me and my bike down, a truck in front of me tried to kill me and so I slowed to a low slide rubbed my left knee and palm on the ground then got tumbled on my back, wasnt wearing any back protection, but I did have my Boblebee on[originally I bought it to use as a backpack maybe 8 years ago? and it ended up being my riding pack...] anyway I slid on it on my back, my helmet never even contacting the pavement.http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/2489/img0467p.jpg

Jerry
July 26th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Don't remember how much was there to start with, here's what's left of the peg feelers...

Rayme
July 26th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I got problem leaning the bike..I tend to keep my knees against the bike (like I learned in MSF) to keel control of the bike and extending my knees seems un-natural to me.. I dragged the side of my boot once!

BlackRain
July 26th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Here are some from the Dragon in June 08. Hard to tell lean angle, but also remember body position.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/jb_warren/Dragon%20Trip%202008/d11.jpg http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/jb_warren/Dragon%20Trip%202008/d12.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/jb_warren/Dragon%20Trip%202008/d5.jpg http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/jb_warren/Dragon%20Trip%202008/prpvCABJ65VG.jpg

angrycrow
July 26th, 2009, 07:22 PM
247nino your back pack doesnt even look like its been through a tumble , glad to see your alright and still riding.

Blackrain those are some pictures!

Strider
July 26th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Do you have a copy of "Twist of the Wrist, vol.2"?

I highly recommend 1 and 2 :thumbup:

Apex
July 27th, 2009, 07:56 AM
I checked out #1 (owning #2). It seemed to me that a lot of the content that was in 1 was covered in 2. I'd just get TOTW Vol 2.

rockNroll
July 27th, 2009, 09:35 AM
I checked out #1 (owning #2). It seemed to me that a lot of the content that was in 1 was covered in 2. I'd just get TOTW Vol 2.

I'm with him... just read vol 2 .... a couple times.

HKr1
July 28th, 2009, 10:09 AM
I dont lean the bike over much at all on the street.

gizmogamez
July 28th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I wore 1/4 of my side stand mount off on this same day, so this is only a slight lean...
On the street I would never be even close to this...except on some hwy on ramps where I'm just having fun.

delvey91
July 28th, 2009, 01:11 PM
My leaning

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk193/delvey91/IMG_1969.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk193/delvey91/IMG_2650.jpg

Not much haha

Jam3s
September 17th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Hey guys i just started this thread to see how far you guys get over on your bikes , when you ride on the street

more that i should. i just feel so comfortable on the 250 and i have lowsided on the street before and only wearing a helmet and gloves. i was a n00b ;)

KELPHYN
September 17th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Never touched a peg or knee, but I generally have about 1/8" squid mark on the rear tire and 3/8" on the front. Not much for pictures. My friend sucks at get the timing right for a shot at the apex and the other I took, but it's a little tricky taking pictures at 140km banked over in a 60km corner, but you can kind of see the top of the windscreen and a bit of the mirror to a bit of feel for the angle.

minuslars
September 17th, 2009, 07:46 PM
One thing you can do is slide half a butt cheek off to the side you're leaning into...
This is rather dramatic, as racing is, but here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wYD9SSBBNQ

I don't do track days, and I don't typically do this on road riding, but I practice it because it has saved my ass a couple times where I was riding a road I didn't know too well or I just plain forgot about a turn coming up with no time to brake and had to do a quick, sharp turn that would've been scraping metal (or me) -on-asphalt if I didn't have the reflex to hang off to the side and pull the bike through the turn.

It also helps keep the legs from getting too stiff as well. Although those of us with "low hanging fruit" might get a bit uncomfortable when you come back down on the seat. lol.

As always, practice at slow speeds in a safe place!

RedNinja09
September 17th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I am kind of afraid honestly to lean too far. I am a new rider (this is my 1st year riding). My friend who has been riding for over 10 years always gives me crap about not leaning in turns. Others tell me to ride until I am comfortable. Any tips ?

KELPHYN
September 17th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Chris, always ride at your own pace and comfort level. Don't let others push you into going faster than your comfortable with. Now that said if you want to get faster you have one of the best tools there is "An experienced riding friend". The group I ride with have lots of "nOObs" come out with us all the time. If they show an interest in getting faster, we will pick section of road (usually a couple KMs) with various radius corners, then start at a pace THEY are comfortable with (usually the posted speed limit) Then after a couple runs over that section of road with them following one rider and another following them. This way they can get a feel for the LINE (not the centerline) throught the corners and the following rider can see how close to the LINE they follow and where they lose the LINE. Then as they get comfortable we just repeat the section over and over slowly adding speed (usually 10km at a time) but ONLY if the nOOb feels like it. HE SETS THE PACE. We usually stop after each pass for a type Q&A, tips & pointer session.
It really is surprising how fast some riders improve with just a little "monkey see,monkey do" it really is can be a great teacher, but always remember "RIDE AT YOUR OWN PACE" don't fall the old "come on you P@$$Y" Those aren't the guys to ride with!!
Anyhow, getting a little long winded. Just trying to say if you have an experienced riding buddy 'Use him' but use him wisely. Knowing how to ride fast doesn't mean you have too, but it makes riding slower even safer. So in parting "STAY SMART,STAY SAFE.HAVE FUN"

ally99
September 20th, 2009, 03:49 PM

LOL! Good one! But it's not just "men" who can lean. :) lol! :p

These were taken on the Dragon. I also like to shift my weight to the inside to keep the bike a bit more upright in most corners. I have scraped a peg twice. one thing to remember about these guys is that they will lean a LOT farther than you'd ever think possible and still have plenty of traction without low-siding. The foot peg will scrape letting you know you're nearing the edge of traction. In a right corner, your muffler will scrape next. So you do have "warnings" before you've taken the bike too far.
However, all that said, always ride within your own comfort zone. Other than leaning, there is a great method of choosing a straighter line through a curve (in other words, using the whole lane from the outer edge to the inner and back to the outer) that is the quickest method of getting through a curve. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, so the straighter your line, the quicker you get through the curve. :)
Trust your bike. She'll warn you before she's about to lost traction. :)

Alex
September 20th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Hi Ally -

All good points. :thumbup: In general, our bikes have much more lean angle available than newer riders give them credit for. When in doubt while in a corner, leaning harder will more than likely turn out OK. That said, this pic concerns me a bit, though:

Yes, pictures can mask things like the camber in the road, and you can't get a sense of what speed things are happening, but from the angle of the front tire, it's pretty apparent that in this case that bike is very, very close to maximum lean angle available on street tires on a ninjette. Another degree or two, and it's quite possible it could have turned into a scary moment. While riders can certainly corner the bike much faster than perhaps you were going around that corner, to do so they have their body weight hanging much further off the inside of bike, to keep the lean angle right about where we're seeing there yet increasing the effective corner speed.

ally99
September 21st, 2009, 02:40 AM
Hey Alex. Thanks for your email. Honestly, I often lean my weight off the bike to keep it more upright. Did I have time to do so effectively on the Dragon? No, I'm still learning, and that was my first time on the road. However, on the Cherohala, I was shifting my weight a lot more b/c it's 47 miles of twisties, so I had more time in each corner than I did in the 318 curves in 11 miles on the Dragon. ;) I resorted on the Dragon to staying on the bike more b/c I didn't feel I had time to shift back in forth before I was up into the next curve. With that said, I KNOW it's possible, and I am going to practice and practice until I get the maximum efficiency from my bike AND its rider. :) In the pic you are referring to, I was obviously using the entire lane to track a more straight line through the corner, going from the outside to the inside and back. In this instance specificially, I wasn't comfortable hanging off much b/c I was so close to the DY. I didn't scrape on this corner though, so I did have enough traction left to to make it through without a scare. I really appreciate ANY feedback, constructive or positive. I am still learning and still a newb, and I really value the advice/experience the rest of you have to offer.

ninjabrewer
September 21st, 2009, 02:21 PM
correct me if I am wrong but you look like your body is over in the oncoming lane, or is it the angle the camera is in relation to the bike?

nb

rockNroll
September 21st, 2009, 03:37 PM
It is, but she can see through the corner and through much of the next corner.

ally99
September 21st, 2009, 04:37 PM
Hey Chris. I always made a conscious effort to never have any part of my body over the line when taking the corners. I had read about it and read of how many times people cross over the DY from the opposite lane. Because of all I had read, I consciously made myself aware of my body position in relation to the DY at all corners. When sight distance was clear for a nice distance, I would often times creep over to where I may have been right on the line, but never over. In the cases where I had such a long and completely clear sight distance, I chose a slightly different line through the curve because I could see so far ahead and saw all was clear. I knew I could maximize the width of the lane with such a long, clear sight distance. :)
In this picture, I think the road was cambered as well. It might have made it look like I was leaning farther than I really was. Still looks pretty cool! :) Ally

ninjabrewer
September 21st, 2009, 05:18 PM
yes it does,

just wondering

thanks

nb