View Full Version : Shifting with the ankle or the thigh

sofo
July 25th, 2009, 06:54 PM
As I was driving (ugh) somewhere today I was beside a couple on a KTM 990 Adventure and while keeping my eyes on the road for the most part I noticed the way the KTM's rider was upshifting that I had not seen before.

I have learned and naturally come to upshift by moving my foot forward from the ball being on the peg so that my toe is under the shift lever. Then I apply some upward pressure just before flexing my ankle upwards to select the next gear.

The KTM rider did the same forward movement and slight upward pressure on the lever, but then keeping his ankle in the same position, raised his whole leg upwards to select the next gear. The then lowered his leg to put his foot back down on the peg and either left it there for the next shift or moved it backwards so the ball of his foot was on the peg. The motion looked very controlled and his shifts were very smooth with no bucking or helmets bumping.

I haven't yet tried this myself and am not wondering if this method is better / worse than the method I have been using but I'm wondering if anyone knows whether the KTM rider's method is something taught for a specific reason.

Yes I'm kind of a technique geek and should probably pay even more attention to the road. :)

minuslars
July 25th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I've never heard anything about shifting that way, although I'm fairly new to riding. That motion might just be something he's developed. I know that I occasionally will mis-shift because I don't flex my ankle enough or my ankle is simply tired (yes it happens) and this may be something he's developed to counteract that or prevent it? I couldn't say.

bob706
July 25th, 2009, 07:14 PM
The motion looked very controlled and his shifts were very smooth with no bucking or helmets bumping.

bob706
July 25th, 2009, 07:15 PM
His shifts were smooth because of left hand control of the clutch

wyckedflesh
July 25th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Look at his boots, if he was wearing thick, stiff offroad style boots, which is possible on a KTM, for some, the boots make it very difficult to shift with just the ankle, then you use the thigh.

Nickds7
July 25th, 2009, 07:19 PM
He probably had a sore or injured ankle.

capt_bugaloo
July 25th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I always just flick my toes up or down, so I guess I am using my ankle. I never really thought about it much before...

P1NDLESK1N
July 25th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I like to just reach down and grab the shift lever with my left hand. Clutches are replaceable. :cool:

sofo
July 25th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Look at his boots, if he was wearing thick, stiff offroad style boots, which is possible on a KTM, for some, the boots make it very difficult to shift with just the ankle, then you use the thigh.

Low-cut sneakers, Chuck's or Vans I think. Yeh it looked funny on the KTM. ;)

sofo
July 25th, 2009, 11:00 PM
I like to just reach down and grab the shift lever with my left hand. Clutches are replaceable. :cool:

Or use a foot clutch with that hand shifter like the hard-core chopper guys.

g21-30
July 26th, 2009, 06:41 AM
He probably doesn't have the shift lever adjusted low enough so that the ankle rotation moves the lever far enough to engage the next gear.

Apex
July 26th, 2009, 02:14 PM
My riding boots are stiff, so I need to put a little leg into my shifts. Not much, but just a little. I've found that adjusting the velcro strap allows more ankle movement, but not enough to not need to move my leg a little. With sneakers I just use my foot.

If I were to adjust my shifter to compensate, then I'd be beyond the throw of my foot in my riding boots for downshifting. Rather move for upshifts than downshifts!

Broom
July 27th, 2009, 08:39 AM
probably a habit developed from riding dirtbikes. their boots are much stiffer than street boots... or at least mine are.

my brother has to shift that way, but thats because he has a semi-paralysis of his left side and can't move his ankle like that.