View Full Version : Wind Noise - bubble replacements?

arcman
July 26th, 2009, 01:39 AM
I get a lot of turbulent wind noise when I do pretty much anything but sit bolt upright on my '09. I'm 6'1 tall and have an Arai Vector helmet. I've tried crouching down (as much as my years and dignity allow :o) and the wind noise is intense. If I lean out over a mirror when cornering it's not too bad, just any kind of crouching behind the stock bubble at freeway speeds gives me really loud wind noise, the lower I go the more "thudding" it sounds.

I don't have another helmet to test with and I'm not too sure which style of bubble, if any, might help.

A.

ScorpionNinja
July 26th, 2009, 05:38 AM
well i still have the stock windscreen on my bike, and im shorter at 5'10". Ive looked at those puig and zero gravity windscreens... for me im going with the DB-double bubble style one, later on once i got money saved. For you... ZG makes a 'touring' screen, thou the looks of it arent as cool as a DB type... it gives 4-5" higher then stock windscreen height. the DB types give 2-3" more height then stock ones!

CRXTrek
July 26th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Wear foam earplugs. I also have an Arai,they are lighter than most other helmets and louder. So unless you want a touring style wall in front of you the earplugs are the way to go.

arcman
July 26th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Wear foam earplugs. I also have an Arai,they are lighter than most other helmets and louder. So unless you want a touring style wall in front of you the earplugs are the way to go.

Hmmm, I have custom moulded ear plugs which work really well. The trouble is when I'm at freeway speeds and want/need to crouch. Guess I'm looking for comments from folks who have installed one of the aftermarket bubbles and are around my height to see what is the most effective.

A.

CRXTrek
July 26th, 2009, 07:56 AM
I had a Puig DB on my 250 and it only raises the air blast about 2" on my chest . Not enough change for the $$.
I'm leaving the stock shield on my 600 it helps hold me up ,less weight on the wrist.

ninjabrewer
July 27th, 2009, 10:04 AM
When I got my bike, she already had a Puig DB installed. One question that I have is how does the DB windscreen change the airflow? I'm 5'7" and have constant buffeting of my helmet while riding the freeways, at around 75-85, (just trying to stay with traffic and not get run over) My head feels like a wobble doll sometimes. Don't know if it is the weight of the helmet or the motion, but it doesn't take long my neck is killing me during a ride. For the noise I have to use ear plugs at anything over about 45-50 mph.

nb

addy126
July 27th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I've never had wind buffeting (bobble) until I went up 1 size to medium padding. It then was just too loose to fight the bobble. Went back to my small padding and havent had any bobbles to complain about. It now has conformed and fits snuggly but comfortably. (Scorpion EXO 700 Chamleon and Fury models) I will admit that my KBC VR2 Assassin has never bobbled once and cuts thru wind exceptionally well. The Shark RSX Flag has not been worn enuff to comment on bobbles :o

jfauerba
July 28th, 2009, 04:43 AM
I have the Shark RSX Flag I do have wind buffeting sometimes. It depends what vehicle is in front of me and how close I am to it. I am 5'7 with the zero gravity touring wind screen. When I start getting too much wind buffeting I either get much farther way from the vehicle in front of me or tuck down so the wind goes mostly over my helmet.

SteveL
July 28th, 2009, 05:06 AM
I am 5’11” and just recently changed my screen to a double bubble from Kawasaki
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/33/newscreen2.jpg
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/6738/dsc00047j.jpg

there was a significant reduction in wind noise.

Steve

ScorpionNinja
July 28th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Ask and check yourself this? Does my helmets VISOR seal right when closed? check your visor when fully closed, for gaps between it and the rubber weatherstripe along the edge of the visor/helm contact point!!!

if you have some gaps (like mine does) your wind noise will be GREATLY increased.... either try bending your VISOR carefully, heated with a hairdryer... until its back into the shape it was New.... or buy a NEW ONE! :P

mine got bent due to showing my mom my helmet, and "look mom... the visor is un-breakable... bends it nearly into a FOLD and back!"

lol so now mine is alil Off! i tried to reshape it, but i got it as good as i can.

so as far as wind NOISE, it might be mainly due too your helmets visor NOT fully sealing when closed?

Cedilla
July 30th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Both my visors don't seal good, and I never folded them like that, maybe its a quality issue.

arcman
July 30th, 2009, 03:34 AM
My visor seal is great...seems like I when I'm vertical the wind hits my chest & is nice and quiet, when I crouch it feels like I'm in a swirling vortex of wind which is noisy as all hell. Which makes me think that a larger bubble will make things worse, or is it that when I crouch my head is sitting exactly in the wind coming over the stock bubble & hence the noise?

The Kawasaki bubble (http://www.kawasaki.com/KawasakiNew/Accessories2/PCItemDetail.aspx?ItemNumber=K46001331&Reason=6&intCatalogID=1&intCatalogType=4&ProductTypeID=158&ModelMarketingId=172&ModelYear=2006&CategoryID=31) seems to add 2.5" of height, so that could help?

A.

Cedilla
August 1st, 2009, 10:48 PM
I had a Puig DB on my 250 and it only raises the air blast about 2" on my chest . Not enough change for the $$.
I'm leaving the stock shield on my 600 it helps hold me up ,less weight on the wrist.

On a side note what kind of paint did you use on your exhaust, I really like the way that flat black looks as opposed to the chrome.

CRXTrek
August 2nd, 2009, 05:48 AM
On a side note what kind of paint did you use on your exhaust, I really like the way that flat black looks as opposed to the chrome.
Got it a Walmart :thumbup: