View Full Version : Mothra!

TrueFaith
July 26th, 2009, 05:30 AM
I don't know if it's all the rain we've been getting here in the northeast, or maybe it's the A-bomb tests in the 50s, but I know I've never seen a moth with a 5"+ wingspan. My cat Jet loves to chase bugs, but he backed off after seeing this B-52. Hey, Kelly...do they grow them this big in Hawaii? Maybe I should buy him a ticket...

zartan
July 26th, 2009, 09:03 AM
He is awesome!!! Very pretty,
But you can keep him there. You never know if he has a big brother or not!

CC Cowboy
July 26th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Wayne, roll that thing over. I've gotten moth balls at the store and they look pretty big out of the box. I'm wondering if they come from those big moths.

komohana
July 26th, 2009, 11:08 AM
thats impressive!
i've never seen one that color...they're darker brown/black at that size here..

kkim
July 26th, 2009, 11:09 AM
http://www.gvsdestoroyah.dulcemichaelanya.com/merutwin.jpg

komohana
July 26th, 2009, 11:17 AM
:whathesaid:

:pound:

zail
July 26th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Cool moth! I have similarly large moths visit my garden - they're hawk moths - this one looks like it might be a member of the Saturniidae (Silk moth) family according to a knowledge friend on another forum...

Snake
July 26th, 2009, 04:18 PM
That sure is a big moth. Are you going to put it in a case?

Sound Wave
July 26th, 2009, 07:29 PM
this is the one we have in hawaii. it say they get up to a 6 or 7 inch wingspan.

http://www.lam.mus.ca.us/research/entomology/common_insect_la/black_witch.htm

supposedly here in hawaii, if you see one, it means a loved one who has passed away is coming to say hello... or if one has just passed, they are saying good bye. something like that.

TrueFaith
July 27th, 2009, 09:45 PM
That sure is a big moth. Are you going to put it in a case?

Believe it or not, I went into the house to put my camera away and when I returned a second later it was gone. And I didn't even hear the engine! :D

Strider
July 28th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Would have made a nice pet huh? Wowsers!

tjkamper
July 28th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I've seen up to 7 inches in Venezuela. But they are Black and no real design. The people have a crazy superstition that if they enter your house, then someone in the house is going to get extremely ill and/or die. So they shoo them away as soon as they see them.