View Full Version : Get Well Soon Felipe Massa!

HKr1
July 27th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I was watching Saturday qualification for the Hungarian GP. Seen the video replays, but dam. Hes really lucky that spring didnt go right thru his face shield :eek:
Hope he gets well, and returns to F1.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1202114/The-moment-F1-driver-Felipe-Massa-knocked-unconscious-flying-debris-Grand-Prix-qualifier.html;jsessionid=44DBE03C4CCB6D418B4921F7FB0B4C41

Snake
July 27th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Thats why I can't understand those riders that want to do away with the helmet law.
Get well felipe.

Alex
July 27th, 2009, 04:56 PM
What a strange accident. Hope he's on the mend soon.

CC Cowboy
July 27th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Good reports today but I'm not sure he will race again.

Doctors say Massa condition improving

Felipe Massa’s condition is improving and doctors at the Budapest hospital where he is have said they are reassured about the progress he is making.

The Ferrari driver suffered a skull fracture and concussion when he crashed during qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix. The accident was caused when he was hit on the head by a spring that had come off Rubens Barrichello’s car. After an emergency operation on Saturday afternoon, Massa was put in an induced coma to help his recovery – and since then he has been making good progress.

Hungarian defense ministry spokesman Istvan Bocskai said that tests carried out on Massa were “reassuring” about his condition. He could also move his hands and his legs – which were positive signs that there was no damage to his brain.

Bocskai told Hungarian television: “He’s woken up (from sedation) more and more often now and he’s able to communicate passively, that is, he reacts when he’s talked to. We are optimistic, in our hope a slow recovery is beginning.”

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo is flying to Budapest on Monday to be with Massa, who has also had visits from F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone, Barrichello and members of Ferrari including team principal Stefano Domenicali.

kazam58
July 28th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Ever since Massa joined Ferrari I've been rooting for him; he's an excellent driver and a great character too. This is a terrible misfortune. Hopefully he can make a full recovery. F1 certainly won't be the same (at least for me) without him. Unfortunately, it's doubtful he'll be able to race again. :(

miks
July 28th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Hope Massa has a quick recovery, but dam that was one freak accident ...

On the topic on Formula 1, theres been speculations that Michael Schumacher might return to Ferrari to take over Massa's place if he is unable to finish off the season.

And, Good on Mark Webber, representing the Aussies and making them proud as punch!

sofo
July 28th, 2009, 08:07 AM
That really was a freak accident, watching the video the spring that hit him enters the frame in a split-second.

I hope he recovers quickly and is back in the seat, he is one of my favorite drivers and a good sportsman that F1 really needs.

CC Cowboy
July 28th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Hope Massa has a quick recovery, but dam that was one freak accident ...

On the topic on Formula 1, theres been speculations that Michael Schumacher might return to Ferrari to take over Massa's place if he is unable to finish off the season.

And, Good on Mark Webber, representing the Aussies and making them proud as punch!

I haven't heard this speculation but seeing how this year is a wash for Ferrari I would think they would bring in a youngster and look to the future.

Hold on my phone is ringing, it's Di Montezemolo on the phone, I said youngster I'm way past the youngster stage (at least physically). I can't do it, not even for Filipe.

Sorry guys, what were we talking about?

HKr1
July 28th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I haven't heard this speculation but seeing how this year is a wash for Ferrari I would think they would bring in a youngster and look to the future.

Thats all the talk, who will it be? Michael had a motorcycle accident back in FEB, is shoulder is messed up. So they dont think he could drive the car. Also talk was Mark Gene old test driver. Hell, people are saying Alonso for the next race, since Renault is out and he is linked to ferrari next season????

camaroz1985
July 28th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I'm hoping that the Felipe can prove the doctors wrong and make it back. I'm not really a fan, but I do like to see him out there mixing it up. How could you not after the end of last season.

On another note, glad to see Hamilton back into things, though I like to think that Felipe would have given him a run for it.

CC Cowboy
July 29th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Massa is to get out of the hospital in 10 days and Michael is confirmed to drive for Valencia, Spain, according to racer.com

Felipe's doctor thinks he will drive again also.

HKr1
July 29th, 2009, 01:39 PM
^

ROME (AFP) - Seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher is making a sensational return to Formula One, Ferrari announced on Wednesday.

The German motor racing legend, who retired in 2006, will replace injured Felipe Massa in the European Grand Prix in Valencia on August 23, and possibly for the remainder of the season.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/29072009/3/schumacher-makes-sensational-return-f1.html

It's nice that the races go back to speedtv too! I hate the fox coverage.

camaroz1985
July 29th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I knew Felipe could make it back. Will also be interesting to see what Mikey can do.

BTW Kerry, if you can wait a little bit to watch the races do yourself a favor and download the BBC coverage. It is way better.

CC Cowboy
July 29th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Fox coverage sux, Speed is good , never seen it on BBC.

miks
July 30th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Go Michael, he's a legend. If he can somehow replicate Lance Armstrong's return in the Tour De France, then it would be amazing!

coffeecandy
July 30th, 2009, 02:02 AM
anyone got a video of that incident? sounds really bad that it did occur. Yeah banning helmets would be like nascar banning stickers. bad for business in the end....

adouglas
July 30th, 2009, 03:39 AM
download the bbc coverage. It is way better.

url?

HKr1
July 30th, 2009, 05:06 AM
anyone got a video of that incident? sounds really bad that it did occur.
Looks like if you google "massa accident" a bunch come up. Cant open them here from work to see what they look like. I still have it on the dvr thou.

url?

I was wondering the same.......

camaroz1985
July 30th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I get them from bittorrent sites (mininova.org or isohunt.com and you can find them. About 1.4 GB, but worth it. Great prerace show and race coverage.

adouglas
July 30th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I get them from bittorrent sites (mininova.org or isohunt.com and you can find them. About 1.4 GB, but worth it. Great prerace show and race coverage.

Cool.

What search terms do you use to get good results?

ASecretNinja
July 30th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Massa is a great driver. I heard Kimi was going to get the boot due to poor performance and Alonso would be driving for Ferrari. Alonso in a Ferrari (not this season's ferrari) would be incredible.

adouglas
July 30th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Massa is a great driver. I heard Kimi was going to get the boot due to poor performance and Alonso would be driving for Ferrari. Alonso in a Ferrari (not this season's ferrari) would be incredible.

I agree.

Alonso plus who?

As much as I like Felipe (a real class act, that guy), he's NOT coming back. Not with that injury and his first kid about to arrive.

Ferrari is probably figuring out how much they can pay for Vettel.

And if they're smart, they'll pay whatever it takes.

HKr1
July 30th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I thought Alonso was gonna be pretty good. But after his was such a cry baby at McLaren, I dont care much for him. < I had some posters with Alonso in them, took them down. Still have all my Benetton and Renualt stuff up thou :)
So, with that said........ Ferrari is will suck ass in my mind if they take Alonso on :)

If anyone is intersted: I have a signed (by Alonso)Hungary t-shirt from his 1st win, with a small poster (victory) & Weekend ticket in holder. < Make me an offer ;)

adouglas
July 30th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Dude, don't confuse being good with being a nice guy or a skilled PR professional.

Alonso is very, very good.

I didn't like the way he dealt with Hamilton either, but there is no question that he's a heck of a driver. When he does well he's very likeable. When he does poorly he's not as pleasant a person.

In the current climate being talented and fast is not enough. A great F1 driver these days is just as much a celebrity as a skilled driver. That sucks, but it's true.

Kimi is a good driver, but crikey, he might as well be wearing a hockey mask during interviews. He comes across as just not caring at all.

The secret formula to being a great F1 driver these days is to deal with three things elegantly:

1: Winning
2: Losing
3: The media

Arguably the best at this was Schumacher. Yes, he made questionable, even outrageous moves, but look at the length of his career. He was consistently the best, the calmest, the most consistent, and the most media-savvy driver ever.

He handled situations that would have driven many of our current favorites over the edge with aplomb.

He lost his cool very, very, VERY rarely.

Massa learned a lot from him. Just look at how he handled losing the championship last year. That was a Schumi-esque move if ever I saw one.

Obviously, I am a Schumi fan, but even I booed him for handing over that win at Indy to Rubens. I was there, directly across from the podium. It was ugly. We were ANGRY.

And parking the car a Monaco? Ick. Stupid.

HKr1
August 4th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Massa walks out of the hospital and heads home.

Felipe Massa has begun his journey back to his home in Brazil, nine days after suffering life-threatening injuries in a crash during qualifying at the Hungarian Grand Prix.

The Ferrari driver left hospital and boarded a private jet this morning. Massa appeared in good spirits as he left Budapest's Ferihegy International Airport accompanied by his wife Raffaela, who is six months pregnant with their first child, and Dino Altman, the family doctor.

The 28-year-old underwent surgery on multiple skull fractures after a spring that had fallen from the back of Rubens Barrichello's car struck his helmet at 162mph, dazing him and causing him to lose control of his car and crash into tyre barriers at high speed.

Massa is expected to arrive in Sao Paulo tonight, where he will undergo further tests in hospital before he returns home later this week.

"Thank God, I'm feeling very well," Massa said yesterday. "I only have a bit of swelling in the region of my left eye. I'm anxious to return to Brazil and continue the recovery process."

Asked as to his first wish on his return, Massa replied: "Checking everything is as it was before.

"Many things have happened over the last days and I want to get back to a normal life. I want to get back into the best possible condition, doing things you do every day."

Massa added: "I know exactly what happened, that a spring came off Rubens' car and hit me on the helmet. I know that something happened to me, but I didn't feel anything when it happened.

"They told me that I lost consciousness at the moment of the spring's impact on my helmet and I ran into the barriers, then I woke up in hospital two days later. I don't remember anything, and that's why what the doctors did had to be explained to me.

"When I saw Rob [Smedley, his race engineer], he asked me if I remembered Rubens, but the last thing I remembered was when I was behind him at the end of my fast lap in Q2, and than it's blank. It's difficult to explain, but I'm feeling much better now and I want to recover as soon as possible to get back behind the wheel of a Ferrari."

Michael Schumacher, who will replace Massa in the Ferrari team until he recovers, visited the Brazilian in hospital on Saturday.

"Michael doesn't need my advice," Massa said. "It was him who gave me many tips during my career when we were racing together. He knows how to win, he knows how to drive and he's great.

"It was the best choice handing over the car to such a fantastic person and I'm sure everybody will be happy to see him back on the track again. Although I hope I'll be back on the track with Ferrari as soon as possible."

CC Cowboy
August 4th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I thought Alonso was gonna be pretty good. But after his was such a cry baby at McLaren, I dont care much for him. < I had some posters with Alonso in them, took them down. Still have all my Benetton and Renualt stuff up thou :)
So, with that said........ Ferrari is will suck ass in my mind if they take Alonso on :)

If anyone is intersted: I have a signed (by Alonso)Hungary t-shirt from his 1st win, with a small poster (victory) & Weekend ticket in holder. < Make me an offer ;)

Did he wear it during the race?

HKr1
August 4th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Did he wear it during the race?

He signed it race weekend at the Renault employees grand stand section :)

CC Cowboy
August 4th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I was hopping for a sweaty one with some DNA on it.

camaroz1985
August 5th, 2009, 06:34 AM
I was hopping for a sweaty one with some DNA on it.

:lol: Going to attempt cloning?

CC Cowboy
August 6th, 2009, 08:24 AM
:lol: Going to attempt cloning?

Shhhhhhhhhhhh!

darthnip
August 9th, 2009, 08:59 AM
i have been a die hard ferrari fan since i was 4 years old, it will kill me to see alanso in a ferrari! sure he's a great driver, but his ego wont jive well with the red. the wife calls him "eyebrows" and says someone should give that man some tweezers!
come on massa, get well soon buddy

oh btw, i have twin girls and their middle names are Senna and Mansell, no seriously! it took the wife a while to accept it, but i eventually won her over :)

camaroz1985
August 10th, 2009, 08:19 AM
That is awesome Darth. I tend to agree with Alonso's attitude, but I think it would be great to see him in a more competitive car (though as we have seen this year, that can change from race to race).

HKr1
August 10th, 2009, 01:50 PM
oh btw, i have twin girls and their middle names are Senna and Mansell, no seriously! it took the wife a while to accept it, but i eventually won her over :)

:thumbup::thumbup:

adouglas
August 10th, 2009, 03:11 PM
oh btw, i have twin girls and their middle names are Senna and Mansell,

Wow. And I thought I was hard-core.

Taken at the USGP, Indy 2006:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a115/adouglas2001/Indy_land_o_meat.jpg

darthnip
August 10th, 2009, 03:25 PM
nope, i've had the giant turkey leg WITH the ferrari pope (ok he ate most of mine).

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a86/Darthnip/P6160026.jpg

notice how the wife was too fast with the camera and i only show the thumb in the half up position! it was on its way all the way up i tell ya!

karlosdajackal
August 11th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Latest news is Schumacher is definitely out, they have been trying to work on his shoulder and neck pain from his bike accident in Feb but he still says it hurts to much. I think he would drive through it if he could but he might not pass the medical tests.

I think Luca Badoer will be in the seat, much as I'd love to see Alonso drive that Ferrari, I can't see Renault allowing that while he is under contract with them. Those who don't know Luca, he drove in F1 years ago, but has been a Ferrari test driver since 1997, and has probably done more miles in Ferrari F1 cars than anybody else. In fact he probably did most of the development miles on this current car. Although at the moment the cars are changing so much between each event, its probably a different beast then it was when the testing ban was put in place.

HKr1
August 11th, 2009, 01:48 PM
^ He last raced in 1999, has not driven in 3 years. Should have been Gene!