View Full Version : O'Neal Element Fastrack Bluetooth helmet Review :D

istreefitty
July 28th, 2009, 01:32 AM
OK so I just got my helmet today and decided to write a review on it so far.

So here is the helmet right out of the packaging:

And here is the bluetooth multifunction button:

Ok so I get her out and first thing first, I have to try her on to see if I ordered the correct size.....and if I did not (like my riding gloves) I would have to wait another 3 weeks for the correct one. SO I try to slip it on....and I feel this immense amount of pain around my temples, and needless to say I was pretty bummed. Soo I ask my wife to try it on and see what she thinks...and she says the same thing (her head is wayyy smaller than mine BTW). I didnt get it. The helmet says for 7 1/8- 7 1/4 (my hat size on all my military stuff) plus I measured my head 10x with an avg of 22 1/8 in, which is right in the middle of the med sizing for the helmet. After a few minutes of tinkering I found the problem. It was the head phones sticking into my temples as well as the power cord was not fully tucked away, here is a pic:

that little piece sticking out right at the end of the d ring strap (my hand is on it) is quite hard and hurts alot if placed on the head incorrectly. Soo first thing I would recommed is hold the headphones down as you slip the widest part of your head in, then every thing is a ok.

Now I just had to wait 4 hours untill I could use it (initial charge is 4 hours), but they promise somewhere between 10-15 hours of use every charge, (way longer than a phone or music device or even a solar powered GPS system will last....plus who rides 15 straight hours????) So it is dusk at this point and we have dinner on the stove.....leaving me with a 30 min window to test her out. I had my wife call me every 5 min so I could test out different speeds on the noise canceling mic. I would say sound was incredible with little to no wind noise partially due to this flap:

However, it could only do so much as wind noise was begining to pick up above 60 MPH or so (highyway speeds). However, my wife said she never noticed background wind noises at all.

Streaming music works as well, but I have only utilized mono streaming vs A2DP. The earphone arent the greatest quality, but I think some of this issue is due to the antiquated mono streaming I am forced to utilize ATM. I have yet to try out the sterio streaming music because stupid apple and their stupid non A2DP bluetooth software. I almost switched back to my samsung slider that is 3 years old that was A2DP bluetooth back then. So I went to WallyWorld and they didnt have any of the attachments for the iPhone/iPod. It will have to wait, but as of right now it seems to be worth it. There is sooo much more, but I will answer any questions that come. thanks guys for taking the time to read this

CZroe
August 6th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I ran into someone using this with his iPod Nano and a Sony TMR-BT8iP transmitter. He claimed to also have one that connects to the headphone connector but it prevents him from connecting headphones with the antenna, so FM radio doesn't work. I suggested that the Griffin iTalk may solve this as well as provide a form of remote-control. At the same time I gave him my two BT transmitters... the 8Banannas BD-906 w/ mini-USB charge-through and whatever it was called that I ordered from woot.com for cheap (tiny but has an iPod dock connector pass through and an internal battery). I no longer needed them because Apple updated the iPhone 3G to support A2DP (I'm assuming that you have the original iPhone).

Anyway, the day before I was checking out the specs of the O'neal Fast Track Element and it said "BT1.2" even though A2DP/AVRCP are BT2.0 features. Does it really support A2DP? The guy I talked to assured me that it did but, then again, perhaps his transmitter is streaming mono audio and he doesn't know it.

Anyway, I have a question. Is the battery removable? Can you carry a spare? Can you charge and ride? My Parrot SK4000 does not allow you to charge and ride or connect an auxiliary battery (built into the detachable unit), which is one of my primary complaints about it.

Also, if it's rated for 15hrs talk time, expect 5hrs of music if it's truly A2DP. That said, someone driving MORE than 15hrs in one trip is precisely the kind of person who would want this to entertain him/her along the way. Because battery life shortens over the life of a rechargeable Li-Ion cell, especially in heat, I would want some way to extend my range.

Snake
August 6th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Very good review.
Does your wife have one as well and if so have you tried talking helmet to helmet?

istreefitty
August 6th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Nope she doesnt have one yet, but I cant even carry her on my bike for the first year (or so they say). I am waiting to get a bit more experience under my belt befor doing that. With that said I will def buy her one to try out the H2H.

As far as A2DP, yes the helmet supports it according to the users manual. I have yet to try this out as my iPhone only transmist in mono streaming (HFP). I am pretty sure if the guy had a dongle on his iPod it was streaming A2DP so yea it works. Also yes the battery is removable and a fully charged one could be replaced in its place. The battery is a small Lithium battery that is fully removable. As far as charging while riding, I have no idea, but the helmet works while being charged at home. In fact the only way to chge it is by plugging the adapter into the helmet with the batter in place. With taht said I would think it would be useable while riding, I just have no way of trying it out. I hope that helps you guys

CZroe
August 6th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Yeah, but when you plug the Parrot SK4000 in to charge with the power on it shuts off/disconnects and goes into "charge mode," so I guess it still needs to be tested to see if it behaves similarly... you know; for those capable of charging while riding.

That said, I also had an Insignia NS-DVB4G and Insignia Sport 2GB A2DP MP3 players and both would pair/stream to a BT 1.0 HSP headset, albeit, in mono. It makes sense that most A2DP devices can also stream in mono HSP/HFP audio modes. AFAIK, the Sony TMR-BT8iP can do it too.

Can the helmet control the playback device via AVRCP? Does it support CID (Caller ID profile) and voice dialing w/phonebook syncronization? For example, even though the iPhone & iPhone 3G do not support voice dialing from a BT headset, the Parrot SK4000 will copy your address book contacts to it's internal memory and then let you dial any one of them with it's own voice recognition capabilities. If CID doesn't work it does not mean that the helmet doesn't support it. Though the Parrot SK4000's CID kit works with the iPhone, the Jabra BT8010 A2DP/CID headset does not. Actually, if a number that is not in your phonebook calls you it will work (and cross-reference that with a name you added to its internal phonebook using the PC software), but it stops working as soon as you add it to your iPhone's contact list... assumedly, it's a conflict between numeric CID data (phone number) vs. textual CID data (contact name). I'd test it with another phone to be sure.

I'm finding it difficult to find the perfect headset. For example, I like the handlebar remote on the SK4000, but sometimes it just doesn't work unless your head is a foot or two away (defeats the purpose... buttons may as well be on the helmet). Also, it does not have an intercom feature. The O'neal Fast Track Element doesn't have an FM radio (according to the guy I talked to), which could be REALLY useful. It may as well be the car stereo your motorcycle never had. The Parrot kit even reads you the RDS data for each FM station (usually the station name; sometimes the song title) via Text to Speech Synthesis.

I also wish the Parrot kit would tell me what time it was if I asked it... something relatively simple to do and immensely useful on a motorcycle unless you already farkled it with a clock. :D Can the O'neal helmet provide the current time? And one more thing... is there an official web/product page for it?

Snake
August 7th, 2009, 08:54 AM
^^^^ Just look at the ad's at the top and bottom of the screen and click on it.

CZroe
August 7th, 2009, 02:34 PM
^^^^ Just look at the ad's at the top and bottom of the screen and click on it.

All I got was a MotorcycleSuperstore advertisement... not the same thing as the manufacturer's page with support, manuals, software, firmware, etc. :(

istreefitty
August 7th, 2009, 08:18 PM
to answer someof your questions CZroe:

yes it is A2DP capable, here is the manual saying so:

Also it does work while charging, I mentioned previously that I used it while initially charging it before taking it out.

However, it isnt AVRCP capatable. This meaning that you cannot control any of the devices by using voice commands (like in a car or on your BT headset). All you can do is press the multifunction button and it will call the last dialed on your phone. It also cannot tell time (that is what my fossel mod on my left wrist is for ;) ). It seems to me that this is not the helmet you desire due to it not having all the bells and whistles you require.

What is can do is hold up to 4 seperate devices (including H2H comms) and it will cut off one for the other. For example, if I am listening to some sweet 80s rock and my wife calls me, it will pause the device, let me talk, and then resume the music when I am done. This is a very basic Bluetooth helmet that satisfies my needs rather well. While I am cutting up twisties, I can listen to some sweet music, and if my wife needs me to pick up some milk on the way home I can get the call before it is too late. I hope this helps and if you do not decided to go with this helmet, please write a review on the helmet you do decide to get. thanks

CZroe
August 8th, 2009, 06:52 AM
NO helmet or kit has all the bells and whistles. ;) Like I was saying, the Parrot kit doesn't even do intercom! If it can pause the music and resume then it does supports AVRCP, which is often implemented as a subset of A2DP. Of course, if your phone and A2DP music playback device are one and the same, it may be the phone automatically doing it. ;) There are some A2DP MP3 players that can pair with your phone and then manage the interaction themselves (your earpiece only needs to pair with it). Samsung's even lets you dial and text on the player instead!

Micdaz8
November 6th, 2009, 01:37 PM
And one more thing... is there an official web/product page for it?

Idk if you already found it or if you dont care anymore but here is O'Neal's product page:
http://www.oneal.com/product_experience_2010/index.html

If you click on "Street" on the right side of the page you should see the helmet(s) there. Then just click on the helmet. :cool:

CZroe
November 7th, 2009, 03:32 AM
Idk if you already found it or if you dont care anymore but here is O'Neal's product page:
http://www.oneal.com/product_experience_2010/index.html

If you click on "Street" on the right side of the page you should see the helmet(s) there. Then just click on the helmet. :cool:
Thanks!

Nickds7
November 8th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Awesome, If my motorcycle future wasn't so trivial I would pick one of these up. There have been a few times where I really would have liked to be able to make a call while on my bike. Especially good for 911 calls I'm guessing. I'm leaving friends houses realllly late at night and always see obliterated drunk drivers.

batman
January 5th, 2010, 06:57 AM
I've been looking at this helemt for a little bit now and I will probably be picking one up to replace my old Shoei. The salesman that helped me at the store said that he has one and loves it, course, that could just be a typical sales pitch. In looking for information on this helmet, I have seen pretty much the same complaint about talking on the phone after 55-60 mph is not all that great, but not really any info on just playing the music. So I am curious, at what speed would you say that music listening is hindered?

Thanks in advance,
Craig

Kstorm21
January 16th, 2012, 01:20 AM
I was this (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/29807/ITEM/ONeal-Racing-Tirade-Bluetooth-Helmet.aspx) one. I think it's cool that it has the FM transmitter built in.
Although, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MShX5tF2Fmk) youtube review is what caught my attention. There is a newer model but it doesn't include voice command (the one in the video does). I contacted a place that sells them and they said they can put a different chip in it to give it voice command.