View Full Version : When stopping in traffic

rockNroll
July 28th, 2009, 09:04 AM
This is why I always stop to one side or the other of the vehicle in front of me, and watch my mirrors as traffic comes up to stop behind me. Ouch!

http://i26.tinypic.com/2w7qsdd.jpg

Quote:
A motorcycle is sandwiched between a car and a truck after an accident July 9 in Jefferson, Wis. The impact of a car driven by a 21-year-old woman landed the motorcycle driver in the bed of the pickup truck that was parked in front of him at a stoplight. There were no serious injuries.
From http://picofdaday.blogspot.com/2009/07/ride-to-forget-motorcycle-is-sandwiched.html

noche_caliente
July 28th, 2009, 09:55 AM
darn - that rider is lucky to be alive!

bob706
July 28th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Looks like the bike was stopped on the drivers side of the truck. Not saying anything bad about women drivers but every one of my "oh &*^%" moments involved a woman driver with her head up her ass. Brake light modulator FTL

gizmogamez
July 28th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I was told to stop to one side when I got my license and again when i took the MSF course...i always watch my mirrors untill the car behind me has come to a stop.

capt_bugaloo
July 28th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Exactly - leave yourself some exit space, and watch for the vehicle behind you to come to a complete stop.

emt250
July 28th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I was always told to do this and while I never doubted the reason why this picture really kind of drives the reason home. Wow.

BlueTyke
July 28th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Lucky rider!!

Snake
July 28th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Not only is the rider lucky but it is a good thing that the rider did not have a passenger with them. I do not have a brake modulator so I manualy modulate my brake lights by appying the front brake several times when I see cars coming to a stop behind me. I stop to one side and allow for an escape path.

ScorpionNinja
July 28th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Damn! :eek:

This very same thing almost happened to me my 3rd week of riding this year in May! I was stopped, on right side of my lane.... when suddenly i noticed a blue Neon coming up FAST...... i watched and watched till i said " **** this bitch isnt going to STOP!".

(i wanna point out also) When your stopped at a redlight, NEVER have your bike in 'N' to rest your hands.... leave it in 1st with clutch pulled in!

So i goosed it over to my right... pulled just a tad ahead and BETWEEN the SUV in front of me, and the G8 pontaic to my front right.

(i couldnt pull ahead more due to that wouldve put me in the Interseaction!) :eek:

just as the G8 driver looked at me with a "Ooh wtf are you doing IDIOT-crochet rocket man?"

the bitch in the blue NEON CAME SCCCREEEEECHING to a stop, id say 4" from the SUV's rear bumper! (yep she was on her ****ing CELL PHONE!!!)

then the drivers in both cars im in the middle of... looked at me again and around like "wtf is going on?" i just gave em a "pointing my finger to my head - thinking gesture". and gave em a headnod!

and then the SUV started to get out of his vehicle and yell... just then the light turned green, the G8 slowly took off, i fell in behind him once i made sure it was clear, thou the guy behind the G8 waved me to go! :thumbup:

muffinman
July 28th, 2009, 02:29 PM
I was told to stop to one side when I got my license and again when i took the MSF course...i always watch my mirrors untill the car behind me has come to a stop.

+1.. there are no easy no-cut modulators for my new bike (ZX6R/636) so I just manually flash my brake lights when I'm at a stop until the car behind me isn't moving anymore

Cedilla
July 28th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I do the same, I only put mine in neutral to rest my hands only after a couple of cars pull of behind me.
On a unrelated note, I dropped my bike for the first time today, once of both sides for good measure:D. I was taking my bike for a ride to warm up the chain after I cleaned it, and I figured I would practice my U-turns, I can easily do a 20ft, but I would like to tighten it up some. I had the bike leaned way over and I pulled in the clutch in a little too much and the bike fell over, I caught it just as it touched the ground so it was okay, then I rode home and I was lubing the chain, I do not have a rear stand yet so I was pushing it around and suddenly it just fell over, I tried to catch it but this time I fell right on top of it. No damage done except for a small scratch on the front fender and some dirt stuck in some places. I feel so lucky it was not worse.

CC Cowboy
July 28th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I hope she didn't break a nail. Imagine how the person on the other end of the phone felt. Could they be charged as an accessory to the fact since they were talking, or texting, during an attempted murder?

P1NDLESK1N
July 28th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I hope she didn't break a nail. Imagine how the person on the other end of the phone felt. Could they be charged as an accessory to the fact since they were talking, or texting, during an attempted murder?

lol, you have a pretty good point! :p