View Full Version : Best Helmet to beat the heat?

Joe
July 29th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Hey everyone since it's so hot right now and as I sweat on cool days :confused:, I was hoping someone had experience with multiple helmets and could recommend one for maximum cooling and safety. It's really daunting trying to figure this out in a shop or looking at a picture online, so any and all recco's are appreciated.

almost40
July 29th, 2009, 03:37 PM
A wicker helmet is really cool

Joe
July 29th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Kevin, that might work for someone who is comfortable playing with Hand Grenades, but I'm looking for a lot more safety.

CRXTrek
July 29th, 2009, 03:54 PM
A Bell Star has great cooling,check the link http://www.thebellstar.com/features/features_velocity.aspx
i had one for a year before my Arai which is also very good

Purspeed
July 29th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Suomy

Joe
July 29th, 2009, 05:47 PM
A Bell Star has great cooling,check the link http://www.thebellstar.com/features/features_velocity.aspx
i had one for a year before my Arai which is also very good

What model Arai did you pickup CRX? Thnx for the recco's guys.

ARF07
July 29th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Just my 2 cents, but I've been riding with a Shark RSI all summer and I love it. I'm from GA and we get pretty humid summers here, low to mid 90's and it still keeps my head pretty cool. IDK what Seattle is like tho.

Daeldren
July 29th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I have actually been pretty happy with KBC VR2 model for ventilation. Shoei TZR also works pretty well. Stay away from those black anthracite helmets though, they will feel like your putting an oven on your head.

rockNroll
July 29th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Suomy .

yokozuna
July 29th, 2009, 07:25 PM
agv stealth ..

but modular helmet is still the best for hot days, i use this a lot..

kkim
July 29th, 2009, 07:30 PM
do you ride with the visor cracked open a bit when it's hot? that helps a lot.

addy126
July 29th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I've got the Shark RSX, Scorpion (2) EXO 700's, KBC VR2, HJC Modular and GMAX 68 Dragon. Oddly the GMAX has the best flow above the rest. I've never had to really adjust any of the others venting during cooler weather but I have the GMAX it would cool down real fast. The summer it moves a bunch of air far more than the others. To compensate on the other helmets I just crack the visor and it moves more.

Cedilla
July 30th, 2009, 12:36 AM
do you ride with the visor cracked open a bit when it's hot? that helps a lot.

When its real real hot outside, I find that cracking the visor makes it worse, The hot dry air feels like im sticking a blow dryer to my face.

kkim
July 30th, 2009, 12:38 AM
well, I mean at lower speeds... once the speeds pick up, I close the shield all the way to keep the wind out and let the helmet ventilation do the cooling.

karlosdajackal
July 30th, 2009, 12:45 AM
I saw this vid the other day, he talks about the top 5 helmets on the market and what they are good and bad at. I think he talks about cooling right at the start.

Rquz7ky2eQQ

Ken
July 30th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Get a solid white or very light colored helmet. I never feel hot with my helmet on. I started with a white HJC helmet last summer and bought a white Shoei RF-1000 helmet and my head never feels hot.

ManyCavies
July 30th, 2009, 01:39 AM
I saw this vid the other day, he talks about the top 5 helmets on the market and what they are good and bad at. I think he talks about cooling right at the start.

Thank you for posting that :D Was really good info :thumbup:

CRXTrek
July 30th, 2009, 03:49 AM
What model Arai did you pickup CRX? Thnx for the recco's guys.

Quantum II

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=50283&postcount=1

dimeified
July 30th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Get a solid white or very light colored helmet. I never feel hot with my helmet on. I started with a white HJC helmet last summer and bought a white Shoei RF-1000 helmet and my head never feels hot.

+1 for the RF-1000. At msf i couldnt believe how many people had drenched hair from sweating, i was the only one that didnt.

demp
July 30th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Kevin, that might work for someone who is comfortable playing with Hand Grenades, but I'm looking for a lot more safety.

I think he might have meant a "moisture wicking" liner, as most helmets have that... Lol wicker basket helmet xD

capt_bugaloo
July 30th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Get a solid white or very light colored helmet. I never feel hot with my helmet on.

About 10 years ago I read a very interesting article in Motorcycle Consumer News. They took a variety of helmets (both 3/4 and full, IIRC) that were the same brand and model, but all-black and all-white of each model. They taped some high-accuracy thermometers both inside and outside each helmet, and then exposed them to bright sunshine.

They found that while the outer shell of the black helmets got hotter than the white helmets in the sun, the interiors were almost identical in temperature. The thick layer of poly insulation stops the heat from penetrating from the outer shell to the interior.

I prefer brightly coloured helmets over dark ones for visibility, but the colour makes no difference to the helmet's interior comfort or temperature.

Rayme
July 30th, 2009, 08:37 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41gJfAXrk-L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

revstriker
July 30th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Quantum II

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=50283&postcount=1
This is the helmet that I have. Same pattern too except mine is red where that one is blue. Between the chin vent, the two shield vents, and the two top vents, the airflow through this helmet is excellent. I've used this in 100 degree weather and it works pretty well. The airflow helps the sweat evaporate, while the moving air keeps you cool. Now a 100 degree breeze across your face is still hot, but I don't think any helmet can fix that (unless there's one with AC built in).

g21-30
July 31st, 2009, 09:09 AM
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/afx-helmets/afx-fx-11-lightforce.htm

ironglory
July 31st, 2009, 11:59 AM
A wicker helmet is really cool

Is that vinyl? Try a stainless steel colander strainers.

:D:allhail:

Broom
July 31st, 2009, 12:18 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2256/1524556455_dce845571f.jpg

ironglory
July 31st, 2009, 12:25 PM
install an exhaust fan??? just tried soo hard to resist but... to no avail. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!

Joe
August 3rd, 2009, 01:06 AM
Thanks to everyone for their help it is really appreciated. Choosing my bike was cake compared to choosing my helmet, and a good one isn't cheap. I live in Seattle but the bike will undoubtedly be trucked with me back home to SoCal (and on a Vegas run!) at some point in it's time too. Besides like the old In Living Color skit said I "sweat on relatively cool days". But I really love being on a bike, so no amount of sweat is keeping me from buying my own. :-)

P.S.- One day I want to be like my idol CRX and ride my own incredible ZX-6R. I just can't wait till I grow up (cc wise that is)!!!

CRXTrek
August 3rd, 2009, 04:02 AM
P.S.- One day I want to be like my idol CRX and ride my own incredible ZX-6R. I just can't wait till I grow up (cc wise that is)!!!

:o