View Full Version : Tow truck driver texts, talks, hits car, crashes into pool

capt_bugaloo
July 30th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Driver texts, talks, hits car, crashes into pool

LOCKPORT, N.Y. (AP) - Police said a Buffalo-area tow truck driver was texting on one cell phone while talking on another when he slammed into a car and crashed into a swimming pool. Niagara County sheriff's deputies said 25-year-old Nicholas Sparks of Burt admitted he was texting and talking when his flatbed truck hit the car Wednesday morning in Lockport.

The truck then crashed through a fence and sideswiped a house before rolling front-end first into an in-ground pool.

The 68-year-old woman driving the car suffered head injuries and was in good condition. Her 8-year-old niece suffered minor injuries.

Sparks was charged with reckless driving, talking on a cell phone and following too closely. It couldn't be determined Thursday morning if he has a lawyer.

--------------------------------------------------------

Here, let me correct the final sentence of that article:
It couldn't be determined Thursday morning if he has a BRAIN!

imunro
July 30th, 2009, 04:19 PM
It's fortunate that the woman and her niece are still alive!!! Too bad Darwin wasn't able to take care of the truck driver. The police should shred his license.

You never know what you're going to encounter on the roads these days - stay alert.

Rayme
July 30th, 2009, 04:37 PM
We're in a relatively small palce here and it's just as bad, I can randomly see people texting/playing on their cell while driving..I usually honk to make them pay attention :D

Strider
July 30th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Once again, innocents pay the price for idiots being behind the wheel ...

Snake
July 31st, 2009, 10:37 AM
I'm sure he will not be working at that tow campany anymore.

tjkamper
July 31st, 2009, 10:54 AM
Idiots. I personally don't like texting in general. In a car you would have to have absolutely no respect or decency towards human life to text. :asshat:

ironglory
July 31st, 2009, 11:13 AM
Whats the big deal about texting. I didnt like my typing class in HS & now I have to contend w/ buttons the size of pin heads to type for 5 min what could take 1/8 of a sec to say.

That guy clearly had abused his driving privileged. Together with his license his fingers (ok, one for each offense) as well should be shredded. This will make him remember that he almost killed 2 lives because of his stupidity.

tjkamper
July 31st, 2009, 11:20 AM
:whathesaid:

DarkNinja52
July 31st, 2009, 11:43 AM
I cant believe no one was seriously hurt, thats pretty lucky.

capt_bugaloo
July 31st, 2009, 12:12 PM
What amazes me is that he was yakking on one cell phone while thumbing on his other phone. Unless he had a hands-free phone, he obviously didn't even have one hand solidly on the steering wheel when he crashed!

I was watching the local news a couple of days ago when they had a report about texting while driving. They shot video from their van in city traffic showing a driver in the next lane using both hands to type on her BlackBerry (or whatever) while she gripped the steering wheel with her two knees! :confused:

Cedilla
July 31st, 2009, 09:17 PM
These same people are the ones that ALWAYS have the cell phone shoved in their ear. I don't get it, what did these people do before cell phones? These people always act as if their phone call is more important that face to face interactions with people, on foot they just make them selves look like an ass, behind the wheel their disregard for everything around them makes them lethal.