View Full Version : Gear help for a (female) shorty?

Talonne
July 31st, 2009, 09:24 AM
I just put a deposit down for my bike, so I am in gear acquisition mode now. :)

I've found a jacket I like (Shift "Siren" leather) -- I just need to figure out what size to get... How tight should a jacket be?
http://nmw.com.au/s1/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/SHIFT_Siren_Wome_4844955a82774.jpg

However, I am a little bit iffy about finding pants that will work... I have a really short inseam, and am concerned that the knee armor will be hanging down my by shins. :P If any short gals can recommend a style/brand that works for them, that would be great!!

I expect to have to do some hemming at the bottoms (as I can't even find jeans that are the proper length), but the armor location is the main concern.

BlueTyke
July 31st, 2009, 10:22 AM
Tight. The jacket should be tight. Breathable though! If you can put the jacket on and it wiggles around it is to loose. You gotta think if you fall will it stay in place to protect you where it was designed to?

As for the pants.. I say this to everyone is try the gear on at a shop. At least if you try it on there you get a feel for it. If it works for you and the shop is to expensive then take your knowledge and go online.

I am actually at the oposite spectrum. I am big (not huge!) and long legged.

Talonne
July 31st, 2009, 10:31 AM
I maaaay have ordered the jacket too big, but I have no idea...

I tried it on at a store here and they only had sizes S and up. S seemed to fit fine, but I'm not sure it's tight enough to not shift. It's snug around the bust but there is room in the waist for sure. I bought the jacket online and they did have XS in stock, but I wasn't sure if I'd be able to zip it up since I couldn't try it on in person, so I didn't gamble. There is usually a 2" difference between sizes, and that would make it too small for me in the bust for sure...

BlueTyke
July 31st, 2009, 10:39 AM
Most of the time if you get the pants in the same 'style' (maker, year and title) they zip together, if that is the case you should be good if it is a little loose at the waist. It doesn't look like there is a pants to go with your jacket.

tjkamper
July 31st, 2009, 10:59 AM
Your gear should be tight, but non restrictive. If you think the jacket would be hard to zip then the XS would probably be restrictive and not allow good movement, making it too tight.

In regards to being height challenged, you can buy separate strap on knee armour and remove the pads that come with the pants. This will assure the armour is in the correct location.

zartan
July 31st, 2009, 12:52 PM
Remember to try on everything and sit on a bike Lengths change when you are folded up. Need longer back and legs and arms.
Don't hem without checking position on bike. I cut my pants too short and had to add length.

CC Cowboy
July 31st, 2009, 01:30 PM
motorcycle superstore has been having some great deals and it seems they have small and extra small on sale

noche_caliente
July 31st, 2009, 01:47 PM
Jessica, I have the Joe Rocket Ballistic pants, and the thing I love about them is that you can adjust the hem to different lengths with built-in snaps! They're great!

kkim
July 31st, 2009, 02:09 PM
try looking at www.newenough.com.

They have great write ups on each piece of gear w/ pictures. even if you end up not buying from them (though they are #1 in my book) their website helps a lot to figure out sizing.

Talonne
July 31st, 2009, 02:30 PM
Jessica, I have the Joe Rocket Ballistic pants, and the thing I love about them is that you can adjust the hem to different lengths with built-in snaps! They're great!

Wow, these are perfect!!! Thanks so much for the recommendation. Adjustable hem AND adjustable height for knee protection = WIN!

jola
July 31st, 2009, 02:39 PM
Snug so that it stays in place under impact but comfortable so that it does not impede movement and stress while riding.

BlueRaven
July 31st, 2009, 04:33 PM
i'm a size 4-6 and my joe rocket jackets (women's) are both medium. They aren't snug but i feel more comfortable in them and can always add an extra layer if it gets colder on my runs. The women's leather tecknic jacket, size 8, i have is snug and i feel restricted in my movement and am not as comfortable riding in it. I have a pair of women's joe rocket trixie leather pants size M and they fit good not too long when wearing my 1.5" heel riding boots and i'm only 5 feet. They are loose enough that i can put a pair of workout pants underneath if its cold but usually wear shorts and they don't move when i'm on the bike.

andrewwoo
July 31st, 2009, 07:41 PM
Hott looking jacket!

BlueRaven
August 1st, 2009, 08:41 AM
I love that jacket! The only bad thing about it is you'll see all the bug guts and hope that none of it stains before you get a chance to clean it.

Cali619
August 1st, 2009, 11:08 AM
ok so pics when you get the gear and wearin it :D

SpyderGirl
August 3rd, 2009, 10:14 PM
If someone hasn't already said it... it should feel like a second skin, not too tight, not too loose.