View Full Version : Minor earthquake rattles southeastern Tenn & North Carolina

Strider
August 2nd, 2009, 05:04 PM
Associated Press

DUCKTOWN, Tenn. (AP) -- A minor earthquake rattled the mountainous area of southeastern Tennessee, western North Carolina and northern Georgia on Saturday morning. No damage or injuries were immediately reported. The U.S. Geological Survey said the 3.2-magnitude tremblor happened about 11 a.m. Saturday. Its epicenter was located about 55 miles east of Chattanooga, near the town of Ducktown. Local authorities said they received several calls about the shaking, but they had not received any reports of damage of injuries. Becky Cearley, a dispatcher with the Polk County Sheriff's Department, described the incident as "pretty intense." "It shook the whole entire building for what seemed like forever, but it was just a matter of seconds," she said.

A dispatcher with the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office in North Carolina, just east of the epicenter, said the office received a few calls from people wondering what had happened. "One guy, he said it was so bad it shook his cell phone off the dresser," said Sgt. Michael Roper of the Gilmer County Sheriff's Office in northern Georgia.

---------------------------------

Any members in this area ???

CC Cowboy
August 2nd, 2009, 06:10 PM
Did everybody duck when it happened? Were there any quack ups during the quake?

Snake
August 2nd, 2009, 08:11 PM
Did everybody duck when it happened? Were there any quack ups during the quake?
:rotflmao:

Alex
August 2nd, 2009, 08:38 PM
3.2? I think even our pets would sleep through that at this point. Call me when you guys have a real one. :)

Chamus57
August 2nd, 2009, 11:59 PM
There was a 3.8 here. I bet they would sleep through too :D

http://www.mahalo.com/alabama-earthquake

zartan
August 3rd, 2009, 12:09 AM
In the west that just barely mixes the milk in our coffees. But I bet it is exciting to you because you are not used to it.
Just like our 105 heat here last week. Not a big deal in some places.
?? 3.2 and it shook the cell phone off the dresser. you must be is some hard pan soil !!whew.

Snake
August 3rd, 2009, 09:48 AM
Good thing is that there were no injuries.