View Full Version : Full Face Helmets- Why Are These Better To Have On Sport Bikes ?

RedNinja09
August 2nd, 2009, 07:14 PM
Hey,

I am new to riding and sport bikes. I noticed almost everyone on a sport bike has a full face on. I know full face it the best protection wise but are there other reasons why everyone wears this type of helmet ?

I borrowed a friend of mine's full face and the wind noise was reduced by ALOT. But, I couldnt really hear anything else. I am still learning to shift and I need to hear my bike at this point in my new riding career. Any other reasons why a full face is the helmet of choice for sport bikes ?

Thanks,

Red

Cedilla
August 2nd, 2009, 07:23 PM
I guess you could say it is part of the style, the same reason you don't see anyone wearing a race suit with knee pucks on a cruiser, or the reason you don't see anyone wearing chaps on a sportbike. Also if you have problems hearing the bike with a full face helmet it wont be any better with an open face or half helmet, try wearing earplugs, they cut down on wind noise alot and you can hear the bike a little better.

minuslars
August 2nd, 2009, 07:45 PM
I forget the webpage I read this on, but 45% of the most commonly hit areas of the head during a motorcycle crash are protected *only* by a full face helmet. Something to keep in mind!

travis5018
August 2nd, 2009, 07:51 PM
Because people on sport bikes want to die less then others......

RedNinja09
August 2nd, 2009, 07:59 PM
I personally liked the full face a little bit better than my 3/4 helmet. It was kinda of hot and the windsheild kept fogging up. I dont know, I am just curious as to what other advantages to that particular helmet has to sport bikes.

Nickds7
August 2nd, 2009, 08:00 PM
I'm still not sure why we choose to wear full face helmets.

P1NDLESK1N
August 2nd, 2009, 09:41 PM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11685&highlight=kkim+bugs+helmet

AnarchoMoltov
August 2nd, 2009, 10:16 PM
:whathesaid:

besides the best protection, theres another reason

sofo
August 2nd, 2009, 10:46 PM
I always figured I like my face to be both protected and free of wrinkled, leathery skin after years of riding, here's why...

Heard stories of guys in open-faced helmets getting rear-ended while stopped at a light, launched into the intersection and landing on their faces. No thanks.

I rode fast bicycles for years and a scooter a couple of times and the chapped lips and dry skin I felt then combined with seeing the chewed-boot faces of a few old-timer Harley guys sealed the deal.

Besides, in a full-face with a smoked shield, the girls can't see you gawking... well they might but then they don't know how ugly you are. ;)

Postiez
August 2nd, 2009, 10:55 PM
Sport bike riders (generally) ride more aggressively and dangerously therefore its more important to be better protected?

Most Likely to be Crashed

1. Suzuki GSX-R Series
2. Kawasaki Ninja Series
3. Suzuki TLR
4. Yamaha YZF Series
5. Honda CBR Series

Least Likely to be Crashed

1. Yamaha Virago Series
2. Honda Rebel Series
3. Suzuki Savage
4. Harley-Davidson FXR
5. BMW R1200C

Chamus57
August 2nd, 2009, 11:56 PM
Because people on sport bikes want to die less then others...... That kinda made me chuckle.

Sport bike riders (generally) ride more aggressively and dangerously therefore its more important to be better protected?

1. Suzuki GSX-R Series
2. Kawasaki Ninja Series
3. Suzuki TLR
4. Yamaha YZF Series
5. Honda CBR Series

1. Yamaha Virago Series
2. Honda Rebel Series
3. Suzuki Savage
4. Harley-Davidson FXR
5. BMW R1200C

Where did you get those statistics?

Nickds7
August 3rd, 2009, 12:41 AM
That kinda made me chuckle.

Perhaps his large intestine? I found the website pretty easily http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Most+Likely+to+be+Crashed+%20+1.+Suzuki+GSX-R+Series&l=1 :P cool website too

Verus Cidere
August 3rd, 2009, 12:47 AM
I think a lot of it has to do with style, but personally, I don't care about that all that much. I've only ever had full-face helmets because they're safer, and for no other reason. I think all riders should wear them so there would be less death statistics, at least from falls, but I don't think a perfect world like that could exist... Regardless of that, they're safer, so they're worth the slight hearing loss, IMO. :D

emt250
August 3rd, 2009, 12:50 AM
I think a lot of it is just the style. Dont think harley and cruiser guys want to be seen wearing a full face, for the most part.

adouglas
August 3rd, 2009, 04:06 AM
There was a study in Germany a while back that examined actual crash results and charted where the damage appears on the helmet. Here's the result.

http://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles.com/files/images/helmetDamage.preview.gif

Look at how much of the crash damage is on the chin bar. That's a good enough reason for me right there.

This graphic has appeared in a lot of places.

HKr1
August 3rd, 2009, 04:55 AM
I found the website pretty easily http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Most+Likely+to+be+Crashed+%20+1.+Suzuki+GSX-R+Series&l=1 :P cool website too

Now that was funny as hell! :)

tjkamper
August 3rd, 2009, 05:08 AM
You can be ugly and old, but if you are in full gear and with a full-faced helmet, the chicks will still think your hot and dream about riding with you.

mcteague
August 3rd, 2009, 06:03 AM
There was a study in Germany a while back that examined actual crash results and charted where the damage appears on the helmet. Here's the result.

Look at how much of the crash damage is on the chin bar. That's a good enough reason for me right there.

I was just about to search for this graphic. Notice how the highest percentages for impact are in the chin area. That alone makes the case for full coverage helmets.

Tim

adouglas
August 3rd, 2009, 06:45 AM
Some women respond only to image. They are superficial, not worth pursuing, and will soon drive you up the wall with their vapid shallowness.

Other women respond to intelligence. Those women will hold your interest for a long, long time.

Protecting yourself is a sign of intelligence.

Do the math.

I've been married to my woman for 23 years. She's as intelligent as I am and I'm a Mensa member. I STILL enjoy her company.

TrueFaith
August 3rd, 2009, 07:32 AM

Glad someone finally posted this. I'm really surprised at how many people here are completely ignorant of the reason for full faced helmets. The chin area is extremely vulnerable and is the most likely part of your head to hit the pavement first and cause the most catastrophic damage. How could so many people not know this?

CC Cowboy
August 3rd, 2009, 07:54 AM
Some women respond only to image. They are superficial, not worth pursuing, and will soon drive you up the wall with their vapid shallowness.

Other women respond to intelligence. Those women will hold your interest for a long, long time.

Protecting yourself is a sign of intelligence.

Do the math.

I've been married to my woman for 23 years. She's as intelligent as I am and I'm a Mensa member. I STILL enjoy her company.

I saw you in he movie "Me, Myself, and Irene". You were great. The scenery in that movie was fantastic. I thought it was Rhode Island, not Connecticut though. I guess they can shoot movies anywhere and pretend to be a different place.

Anyway, you better always wear the lid and protect that brain. We need smart people so the rest of us dont have to think (that hard).

Lars
August 3rd, 2009, 08:41 AM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11685&highlight=kkim+bugs+helmet

:amen:

I tend to ride in some wooded areas, which leaves my helmet disgusting (I'd rather have to clean my helmet than washing the thousands of bugs off my face :eek:).

Oh, and that whole protection thing ... yeah.

Postiez
August 3rd, 2009, 09:53 AM
That kinda made me chuckle.

The statistics are from progressive, i wanted to give the link but i couldnt find it last night, here it is

http://newsroom.progressive.com/2005/june/motorcycle-tips.aspx

Cali619
August 3rd, 2009, 12:38 PM
I dont think the type of bike makes a difference on whether most get a full face or a skull cap. I seen all types of motorcyclists wearing all types of helmets, but I can see cruisers not wearing them more due to sportbikes being somewhat more aggresive. Also the huge windshield on the cruisers blocks the bugs and rocks better, full face all the way for me, I want to have a full set of teeth later in life in the case a rock flys and hits me in the face lol.

adouglas
August 3rd, 2009, 12:46 PM
I saw you in he movie "Me, Myself, and Irene". You were great. The scenery in that movie was fantastic.

Never saw the movie, so the joke is lost on me. Sorry.

ninjabrewer
August 3rd, 2009, 01:51 PM

These are the ones you DON'T take home to mother

These are the ones you DO take home to mother :D

CC Cowboy
August 3rd, 2009, 02:26 PM
Never saw the movie, so the joke is lost on me. Sorry.

That makes it even better.

It's a movie about super smart people (in a way). The guy's wife (who is in Mensa) runs off with another guy (who is in Mensa) and the guy's 3 kids are all super smart (due to the wife fooling around with the guy she runs off with). Unfortunately, the guy, Jim Carrey, isn't real smart but he raises the kids on his own (not knowing they aren't really his kids). End of story.

Now wasn't that funny?

SpyderGirl
August 3rd, 2009, 10:11 PM

1. Suzuki GSX-R Series
2. Kawasaki Ninja Series (my bike)
3. Suzuki TLR
4. Yamaha YZF Series
5. Honda CBR Series

1. Yamaha Virago Series
2. Honda Rebel Series (my hubby's bike)
3. Suzuki Savage
4. Harley-Davidson FXR
5. BMW R1200C

LOL! Also, it's image totally... I wear textiles when I ride the Spyder and leathers on the Ninja. I look funny the other way around. But I do always wear the same helmet.

Sailariel
August 4th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I think that Sport Bike Riders are smarter. It takes a lot more skill to ride a sport bike well. Maybe a very small part is fashion, but most of us Ninja people have come to accept wearing full gear evey time we go riding.

adouglas
August 4th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I think that Sport Bike Riders are smarter.

O rly?

Squids ride sport bikes. You really think they're smarter?

That now-legendary guy who poured 44 ounces of NOS energy drink into his Gixxer is a sport bike rider.

I've never had a guy on a cruiser blow by my car at 100 mph IN MY LANE. A guy on a sport bike did that once, no BS. Scared the crap out of me. I would not characterize that as a smart move.

Choice of ride has nothing to do with intelligence IMHO.

ninjabrewer
August 5th, 2009, 05:50 PM
That now-legendary guy who poured 44 ounces of NOS energy drink into his Gixxer is a sport bike rider.

Saaaaaay what, never heard of that. Anybody got a link?

nb

Rayme
August 5th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I'd say it's the lack of a full windshield and look..people like to match their helmet with their shiny fairings and graphics.

Same reason alot of haley riders only have brain buckets (I got serious doubt about how protective these are really).

andrewexd
August 5th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Saaaaaay what, never heard of that. Anybody got a link?

nb

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226570

im suprised its been going on for so long (132 pages) they even made t shirts :D

ninjabrewer
August 5th, 2009, 08:13 PM
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226570

im suprised its been going on for so long (132 pages) they even made t shirts :D

holy cow, 132 pgs. and he actually admitted to it.

nb

SpyderGirl
August 5th, 2009, 08:17 PM
ROFLMAO! This just made my day.