View Full Version : How much are you paying for Insurance?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Countrygirl
February 8th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I just got confirmation that my Kawi dealer was able to find me a 2009 Red Ninja. I'm soooooo excited I've been waiting for one since last spring. Now I get to meet my baby this Friday. I'm so uber pumped!

However, I'm trying to figure out the insurance end of it.

What do you guys have, how much does it cost and who insures you? How much is it suppose to cost? I live in Alberta Canada, I called my insurance provider for a quote and I'm shocked at the numbers she returned with.

I have to pay $956 for 1,000,000 liability, collision, fire, vandalism and theft for a year.
It will cost me $750 for liability, fire and theft for a year.
It costs $528 liability, fire and theft for a year.
It costs $266 for liability only for a year.

I have a good driving record and she said that just because I'm new to owning a bike doesn't make a difference. I told her it's only a 250R and it won't have as much speed as a 600 or 1000, but she said it didn't matter.

What kind of coverage should I get? What other companies insure bikes for a reasonable price?

noche_caliente
February 8th, 2009, 06:35 PM
State farm usually has some of the better rates - I'm married which helps, and have a clean record - I have full coverage for $170/yr - we also have two houses and two cars through them - but really compared to some of the other quotes I've heard, your 1k figure doesn't sound too bad

GreezMunky
February 8th, 2009, 06:42 PM
lol, I'm 20, married, with a house and no accidents/tickets on my record. Geico wanted 3k a year for me! Thats full coverage though. I've heard State Farm (right now I am not a very big fan of SF whatsoever though :mad: ) is usually the best for motorcyclists, but there is a company here in town, Diaryland, that was the cheapest by far. A little over a grand a year I think? Not sure, I'd have to go back and check it out.

Oh, and I was told even though it's only a 250cc it's still considered a "sport bike" insurance wise. :idunno: Don't ask me how that works.

OldGuy
February 8th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Whey you are asking for quotes don't give the engine size as 250, it is 248 and that is often the dividing line between the big dollars and the "huge" dollars.

Sailariel
February 8th, 2009, 06:59 PM
I am insured with Progressive and have full coverage for $200. They said that it would have been lower if it was not a sport bike--even though it is only a 250. I am married, 67years old, and have a clean driving record. Insurance on my Norton 750 was $125. Not considered a sport bike. CJ I don`t know what is required in Canada--a million dollars liability seems like overkill.

HKr1
February 8th, 2009, 07:13 PM
STATE FARM SUCKS! < just had to get that out :)

Got my wife insurance thru Geico(Not as member any where) $99.99 a year.
250Ded 50/100/300.

Have the R1 insured thru them as well. < Nobody could beat there coverage for our area.

BlueTyke
February 8th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Holly cow! 1K? Seriously? Wow...

I am 28m, female (dundundun, incase you missed that one), been driving since I was 18 and riding for two years. No accidents and all tickets are more than three years old.

I pay $32 a month for my motorcycle insurance through progressive and thats for full coverage $500 deductable.

Sailariel
February 8th, 2009, 07:37 PM
STATE FARM SUCKS! < just had to get that out :)

Got my wife insurance thru Geico(Not as member any where) $99.99 a year.
250Ded 50/100/300.

Have the R1 insured thru them as well. < Nobody could beat there coverage for our area.

Kerry, Was insured with SF from 1958 to 1982. The agent called and said that they were going to raise my insurance 10%. Mind you, I have had no accidents or tickets since 1958. He said that the computer predicted a big claim based on the miles driven accident free and the kind of car I was driving (Corvette). I cancelled him and went with USAA for the car and GEICO for the bike. I am now with progressive for the bike.

grandmaster
February 8th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I am insured through my parents insurance which is progressive. My 250 is $410 a year I am 19, male and have no tickets what so ever. I didn't think it was all that bad, but then agian It is only liability and theft. We also have 6 cars 3 harleys, 4 4-wheelers, 3 dirtbikes, a boat, 2 waverunners, and a snowmobile insured under them....so that might be why we get a good discount....but I have no clue.

NJD022588
February 8th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I first got insurance through State Farm. It was full coverage and paid about $700 for the first year. 3 weeks later they dropped me and gave me my money back..

Now I have Progressive but couldnt afford full coverage. I have liability, theft, vandalism, fire, etc. covered. Its $285/year and I'm 20 and not married.

k-os
February 8th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I'm 18, insured through American Family, and it costs $209 a year for full coverage.

kazam58
February 8th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I'm 17, this is my first bike, and I'm paying about $360 a year with a 250 deductible and minimal required liability for everything else. I went with progressive even though that meant I was insured only under my name (nothing to do with my parents) and we have nothing else insured under them. I have a clean driving record too. I think a real deal breaker is where you live too. Vermont is one of the least populated areas period, which means less accidents. Progressive was half as much as anyone else I tried.

Nemy
February 8th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Gotta agree with most everyone else, +1 for statefarm. Best quote I got was with them, but also because I'm under 25 and first year bike insurance. And 1k is pretty good, depending on your age. I'm paying 1400 - 24, GM2, no tickets, no accidents.

TnNinjaGirl
February 8th, 2009, 10:08 PM
$632 yr through State Farm. 19 Female no tickets/accidents. Insurance under my dad's policy. Full coverage $1000 ded 50/50/100 (i think).

It's pretty high and I'm looking for a new company. Full coverage for my bike costs the same as liability for my car. Go figure.

komohana
February 8th, 2009, 10:38 PM
when i was hunting for cycle insurance and found progressive to be much cheaper than the nearest competitor, i was thrown abit when they quoted me nearly $600 bucks more than i was paying presently for my other 2 motor vehicles. (ford p/u and explorer)... :confused30:

...anyway, i'm paying just below $100.00 a year for hawaii's 'no fault' required liability insurance for my '2003 kawasaki EX250F, which i bought outright.

grandmaster
February 9th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I also think where you live makes a big difference. I live in St. George where you can ride all but about a month, 2 tops out of the year. More risk, of an accident when you can ride it more

G250RSC
February 9th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Yea I am with Progressive and pay 275 for the year (Full coverage). Geico wanted 1200!! Highway robbery.

xTKx
February 9th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I got a quote of about $600/year for full coverage from State Farm (my current insurance agent). Pretty pricey, but I was paying about $750/year with Geico last summer for my other bike with very limited coverage. :confused:

Cali619
February 9th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I have full coverage through state farm, they rate by CC not type of MC, but had to work their system to get the huge discount. Basically to get the discount for having more than 1 policy, I signed up for a very cheap(couple bucks more a month) Life insurance policy. Not saying State Farm is the cheapest but suggest going with a company that rates by CC and also talk to a rep to weasle the system, they will do what they can to beat the competition if you tell em you got a lower quote from so and so.

HKr1
February 9th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Kerry, Was insured with SF from 1958 to 1982. The agent called and said that they were going to raise my insurance 10%. Mind you, I have had no accidents or tickets since 1958. He said that the computer predicted a big claim based on the miles driven accident free and the kind of car I was driving (Corvette). I cancelled him and went with USAA for the car and GEICO for the bike. I am now with progressive for the bike.

Good for you finding somebody else! Thats a long time to be with a company for them to end up trying to screw you over. First it was Allstate down here with us(I moved everything to SF), then State Farm < Not wanting to insure us anymore. Geico thru NFCU has some awsome rates for the car/truck, until my MVR comes up. I tried USAA also, but SF has the best price for vehicles right now. Let me tell you, its hard writing that check out to them :mad:

Nemy
February 9th, 2009, 10:54 AM

Thats the most back-asswards thing an insurance company can do... lol I guess Statefarm is really just pure numbers... CC and length of time between accidents :rolleyes:

And CountryGirl - keep in mind that everyone else's post is in USD... so again, yours isn't a bad quote... If you're above 25 however, I've seen other Canadians paying half that

ninjabrewer
February 9th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I think that I need to rethink the insurance. I'm 42, married, and I pay around 800/yr, full coverage, (since it is financed) (GEICO). I had SF for years, until we bought a house in VA and tried to get SF homeowners, they wouldn't insure it until we switched our cars. Tried to explain our cars were insured SF, in KY, but they said we would have to put our cars under SF in Va, and we were not moving for another 2 months. So we told them to get bent and have been with someone else, geico, ever since.

As far as tickets, I just got one in the car last month, 73/55, and last was in 2000. I may have to look around a bit when my policy is up for renewal.

nb

Countrygirl
February 9th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks everyone for your response.

I talked to friends, called around and found the best quote with Blue Circle Insurance.

http://www.blue-circle.ca/users/folder.asp?FolderID=6628

If you're in Canada check them out. He quoted me $360 a year for everything, liability, collision, fire, theft, vandalism. So I'm happy with that price. That's a heck of a lot better than $1000 :)

camaroz1985
February 9th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Kerry and Alex. I have a strict no Geico policy after they informed me that they were dropping my coverage because they "found out I participated in timed racing events". Mind you this was not with the car that I had insured with them. It is well known that they search SCCA results for policy holders and cancel their policies (I didn't know this at the time).

Anyway long story short I switched to State Farm and have been very happy with it. My premiums are lower, and my agent showed me the part of the policy regarding sanctioned racing. They don't cover me on the track, but I wouldn't expect them to (nor did I expect this of Geico).

I am 23 have a clean (no tickets in last 5 years, no accidents) driving record, 2 cars, and a house insured with them, and my insurance was $366 for full coverage for a year. I am told by my agent it should go down significantly this year or next (can't remember which).

Alex
February 9th, 2009, 02:16 PM
GEICO is terrible for enthusiasts. Folks insured with GEICO aren't allowed to participate in the Cal24; they need to find alternate insurance prior to the event. GEICO put in a clause in their policies two years ago that says you're not covered if you drive (or ride) more than 12 hours in one 24 hour period.

It's the same company that has donated many, many radar & laser units to LEO's across the country, under the guise of safety (read between the lines, the more tickets, the higher the premiums, without a significant rise in covered risk).

If they were the cheapest for us (they're not), I'd still find another company to do business with.

Sailariel
February 9th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I had a hard time finding insurance because I raced cars--Lotus Super 7, and sky dived. Guess they thought I was a type A moron with a death wish. Took a while to sort that one out. I guess the American public finds us Army Rangers to be a bit strange.

kkim
February 10th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Thanks everyone for your response.

I talked to friends, called around and found the best quote with Blue Circle Insurance.

http://www.blue-circle.ca/users/folder.asp?FolderID=6628

If you're in Canada check them out. He quoted me $360 a year for everything, liability, collision, fire, theft, vandalism. So I'm happy with that price. That's a heck of a lot better than $1000 :)

Congrats! It always pays to shop around, especially with insurance. Now, all you need is a bike?? :D

Nemy
February 10th, 2009, 12:08 PM
nice find. Looks like they're more of a regional insurance company for the west coast though :(

Countrygirl
February 11th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Congrats! It always pays to shop around, especially with insurance. Now, all you need is a bike?? :D

I'll be picking up my bike at the end of March. My dealer was able to get me my Red 2009 250R Ninja for $4500 out the door. I was soooooo freakn' happy! I screamed and was flipping out when he called to tell me the good news! :dance::dance:

I get to meet the bike this Friday! hehe.. I asked for weekly visitation rights until I pay for the entire thing. I've already put 1/2 down, but I don't want to pay for insurance until I actually start to ride the bike. It's still snowing, cold and miserable out here in Alberta with ice everywhere. So I'd rather let it sit at the dealer and I'll drive it home at the end of March and hopefully a Chinook has blown in at that time to melt all the snow. :) If I did pay for the entire thing today, I don't have a trailer to haul it home in, so I'll wait to bring home my baby.:love:

kkim
February 11th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Wow, you have a lot of personal restraint and trust. I hope you write down the mileage of the bike at the dealer and they don't use it for demo rides for potential customers. Even if not, I'm sure they'll keep it in the showroom and everyone in there has the opportunity to sit on it to size it up.

But then, bringing it home would be a temptation to ride, I know, but maybe you could do some mods on it before spring time? clean and polish it daily? I dunno... I wouldn't trust the dealer more than I wouldn't trust myself.

ARc
February 11th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Great hearing about your bike! N250R's look soooo sexy in red. It was the color I had originally wanted too, keke.

I paid around $250 for this year for the plan above the minimum. Next year when I have enough money, I'm going for full coverage.

Countrygirl
February 11th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Wow, you have a lot of personal restraint and trust. I hope you write down the mileage of the bike at the dealer and they don't use it for demo rides for potential customers. Even if not, I'm sure they'll keep it in the showroom and everyone in there has the opportunity to sit on it to size it up.

But then, bringing it home would be a temptation to ride, I know, but maybe you could do some mods on it before spring time? clean and polish it daily? I dunno... I wouldn't trust the dealer more than I wouldn't trust myself.

SERIOUSLY!!! :eek: Would they do that? Yes, I am quite trusting and naive... but thankfully I am usually surrounded by people who take care of me. :) Geez, thanks for letting me know. :)

Now I'm trying to figure out if I should take it now or later. *ACK* I had no idea. I just thought they'd put it in the back, put a nice cover on it and I could just visit it and coo over it every week. They are hard to get and hard to find. It took him a month to find mine and he's not getting anymore in.... *ugh* I'm such a dummy.

So should I just ask him what he's going to do with it? I guess it's his until I fully pay for it right?

kkim
February 11th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I would talk with him and see what he says. Even if he does say it will be in the back, safe, do you trust him? I wouldn't, but I'm funny that way. :)

If you have room at home, I'd bring it home and stare at it if that's all you can do, instead of trusting the bike to a dealer. To him, it's just another bike and a way to make money... to you, it's your pride and joy. Who do you think would take better care of it?

pssst... I like trusting and naive girls. :eyebrows:

ninjabrewer
February 11th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I would talk with him and see what he says. Even if he does say it will be in the back, safe, do you trust him? I wouldn't, but I'm funny that way. :)

If you have room at home, I'd bring it home and stare at it if that's all you can do, instead of trusting the bike to a dealer. To him, it's just another bike and a way to make money... to you, it's your pride and joy. Who do you think would take better care of it?

:eek:

OldGuy
February 11th, 2009, 08:26 PM

Well there he goes again. :leghump:

I thought we had him under control again.

Nemy
February 11th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Countrygirl, you might wanna think about carrying around a black spray can... that outta keep him at bay :D

Countrygirl
February 12th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Ha! You guys are a riot! :D

I think I'll just saunter on in and talk to him. Just ask him what his intentions are and if he's going to defile my bike. :) Then take mental notes as to what condition it's in. I'm very observant and notice the slightest thing, so I'll take lots of pics, take notes and write down the mileage. Thanks for that tip! I'll make him 'cross his heart hope to die' that he doesn't let it get scratched or that he doesn't let anyone break it's cherry but me.

I just don't want to pick up my bike until the end of March for several reasons.

1. I just ordered all my gear from Belgium and I'm waiting for it to come in. I like to pay cash for everything. I want to pay for all my gear first, then finish paying the other 1/2 of the bike. I'll have the money to pay off the bike mid March.

2. It's -15C (5F) snowy, cold, icy. :smow: I want to drive it home from the dealership when it's +15C, warm, no snow, no ice.

3. My garage needs to be cleaned up where my bike will be. Did I mention -15C? I don't want to be working in the garage sweeping, recycling and going to the bottle depot in the cold. I hate the cold. Once I get my bike, I'm putting heated grips on it right away. Can I get a heated seat too? Hmmm.... I've got to check into that.

4. My mother is making her annual visit at the end of Feb. and I don't want to hear the lecture about my bike. I'm saving myself headache and stress.

5. I don't want to start to pay for insurance until I can actually ride it. Even if it is only $360.

6. I've signed up for a refresher/practice/road driving course for March 20 with my motorcycle school, just to make sure I remember everything from my classes over the summer.

7. I've already planned it out in my head that I'm going to pick it up near the end of March. Once my mind is set on something, it's really hard to change it.

It will be all good. It's a small town, not a big city dealer. I'm optimistic. I can be very convincing when I need to be. :) I'll feel him out. He's a really uber nice guy so I think he'll be good. I'll be in every week to check on the bike. I might even stop in every other day depending on how I feel so I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the heads up! You're awesomesauce!

Oh and psssst.... I like bad boys who look like Tom Welling. :evil:
http://www.starblogs.net/archives/TomWelling.jpg http://spectacle.provocateuse.com/images/spectacles/tom_welling_01.jpg http://www.catzeyes93.com/images/General/Tom_Welling.jpg

kkim
February 12th, 2009, 12:27 AM
hey, where did you get those pictures of me?? :D

good reasons to let it sit at the shop... especially with mother visiting. :argue:

Nemy
February 12th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I hate the cold. Once I get my bike, I'm putting heated grips on it right away. Can I get a heated seat too? Hmmm.... I've got to check into that.

lol I think you're in the wrong country then! and if your backside is getting cold when you're riding, I think you might need more meat in that section :rolleyes:

I actually didn't bother with the heated grips, my JR nitrogen gloves kept me going till atleast -1... Weather finally got the best of me in December - thanks to the snow, though, not the cold :(

Alex
February 12th, 2009, 10:56 AM
I hate the cold. Once I get my bike, I'm putting heated grips on it right away. Can I get a heated seat too? Hmmm.... I've got to check into that.

The ninjette doesn't have much extra electrical juice (less than 100W available), and heated gear takes up a good amount. The best bang for the electrical buck is a heated jacket liner (or vest). If that isn't enough, then do the grips. A heated seat after that would be overkill. Here's how I wired up our electric gear:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3

A Gerbing heated jacket liner allows me to ride in the cold easily, though if there's ice on the road I'm not likely to take any bike out of the garage.

OldGuy
February 12th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Dam - an articulate, educated, logical thinking, bike riding lady. What is the world coming to.

Countrygirl
February 13th, 2009, 07:36 PM
lol I think you're in the wrong country then! and if your backside is getting cold when you're riding, I think you might need more meat in that section :rolleyes:

I love Alberta! I'm nestled next to the Rocky Mountains! No way I'd move...This country has too many positives. Maybe I'll just be a snowbird one day! :) That and I don't like it too hot either. +30C kills me. I like a comfy +23C - + 25C, think I can put in a request to the big guy? hehe... bring on global warming I say. Hehe... just kidding... only 1/2. :D

Phft....bhahaha... I can't believe you actually told me to get fatter. Nice one. ;p Thanks, but no thanks. I like being a size 2. Besides, if I'm cold, that just means that I'll need to be cuddled more that's all. :evil:

OldGuy
February 13th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I love Alberta! I'm nestled next to the Rocky Mountains! No way I'd move...This country has too many positives. Maybe I'll just be a snowbird one day! :) That and I don't like it too hot either. +30C kills me. I like a comfy +23C - + 25C, think I can put in a request to the big guy? hehe... bring on global warming I say. Hehe... just kidding... only 1/2. :D

Phft....bhahaha... I can't believe you actually told me to get fatter. Nice one. ;p Thanks, but no thanks. I like being a size 2. Besides, if I'm cold, that just means that I'll need to be cuddled more that's all. :evil:

CG you better lock your doors before Kelly comes over and knocking at your door :leghump:

jpnfrk
February 14th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Countrygirl, you mentioned being a size 2, so you're probably light (?)... are you able to pull the bike without feeling it's going to fall on its side?

I wanted to reposition my bike in the parking space where it's at but was having a hard time... :pout:

Itoshii: 330+ lbs. vs. Nani: 125lbs.

(BTW: I paid $106 to Allstate for 1 yr. of liability insurance, the state req. min)

GTsmokeya
February 14th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Since we are on the subject I am 24 live in IL and have state farm I pay $47 a month and have a clean record. I am not married and have now had my bike for one year. Oh yea and Allstate is the worst insurance company ever, lol.

GTsmokeya

Countrygirl
February 14th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Countrygirl, you mentioned being a size 2, so you're probably light (?)... are you able to pull the bike without feeling it's going to fall on its side?

I wanted to reposition my bike in the parking space where it's at but was having a hard time... :pout:

Itoshii: 330+ lbs. vs. Nani: 125lbs.

(BTW: I paid $106 to Allstate for 1 yr. of lianility insurance, the state req. min)

Hi Nani! :)

Yep, I'm light. I'm 117lbs. I'll be picking up my bike at the end of March. I don't have one as of yet, so I've never had a reason to pull a bike. I've pushed a bike before in my motorcycle class and I've had to pick one up from the ground because they were teaching us how to pick up a bike if it fell and how to move your bike if the engine dies.

Pushing will probably be more helpful than pulling your bike forward because then you can put your weight into the bike as you push it forwards. If I need to I use my hips and legs as well to support the bike as I push it forward. I don't know if that's right or not, but it's what I did and it worked.

Try pushing it into place next time instead of pulling. Let the bike lean on you as you push it into the correct position you want it to go. If you were trying to pull it back, same thing, I would just let the motorcycle lean on me slightly as I pulled it back, then pushed it into the correct position. I'm assuming you're holding the clutch in as well so it rolls easily.

Or just hop on it, restart your baby and walk it back with your feet, back out that way, then re-enter your parking spot.

I'm also going to the gym to gain more strength in my arms and legs as well cuz I'm such a wimp. ;)

I'm sure there are lots more way experienced people on here who can help you as well! :)

Take care and good luck! :)

jpnfrk
February 14th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Hi Nani! :)

Yep, I'm light. I'm 117lbs. [...] I've pushed a bike before in my motorcycle class and I've had to pick one up from the ground because they were teaching us how to pick up a bike if it fell and how to move your bike if the engine dies.[...]

Phew, there's hope for me then. At one point I felt like the bike was falling away from me and my puny arms hardly prevented my dearie to fall to the ground!! :eek:

kkim
February 14th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Learn to always keep the bike leaning towards you and never away from you from vertical when off the bike and you are pushing or repositioning your bike with the kickstand up. Once it starts to go, you will not be able to stop it from falling over. :(

Also, keep the bike in neutral and use the front brake lever to stop the bike when needed.

NJD022588
February 15th, 2009, 12:36 PM

You know you live in a cold place when you have to specify that you are talking about positive temps

Countrygirl
February 15th, 2009, 01:56 PM
You know you live in a cold place when you have to specify that you are talking about positive temps

Heh. That's sad/funny, yet so true! It does get down to -25C or lower which is never fun. The cold brings snow and I love snowboarding so once the temps climb up to -10C or higher the mountains is the place to be! :thumbup:

birdy
February 15th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Who can figure out insurance rates. I currently pay $460 yr full coverage thru Progressive on a 2005 Harley Davidson Heritage which I just sold . I'm waiting for delivery of a 2009 Ninja 250 and was quoted $500 yr full coverage. I'm 52 , married 32 yrs, no tickets, no accidents--been with progressive for >10yrs. I'm paying less for a 1498cc Harley that cost $20k than for a 248cc Ninja that cost $4200. Then I see people younger than my kids that have full coverage for half what I pay. No offense ---great for you!!:thumbup:--They always used to say wait til your older and married-- yadda yadda-- and your insurance will go down . I'm still waitin:confused:

kkim
February 15th, 2009, 02:18 PM
shop around for a new insurance company. you'll be surprised in the price differences.

GreezMunky
February 15th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Learn to always keep the bike leaning towards you and never away from you from vertical when off the bike and you are pushing or repositioning your bike with the kickstand up. Once it starts to go, you will not be able to stop it from falling over. :(

First time I ever dropped my bike. Thought the kickstand was down all the way.. Not so much.

120 lbs Munky vs 250cc Ninja

Gremlin won and down he went.. Veeerrryy gently though. Just had to get him on the ground so I could position myself to pick him back up.

athimmel
February 15th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I have Allied insurance (Nationwide) and am paying around $350 per year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nemy
February 16th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Who can figure out insurance rates. I currently pay $460 yr full coverage thru Progressive on a 2005 Harley Davidson Heritage which I just sold . I'm waiting for delivery of a 2009 Ninja 250 and was quoted $500 yr full coverage. I'm 52 , married 32 yrs, no tickets, no accidents--been with progressive for >10yrs. I'm paying less for a 1498cc Harley that cost $20k than for a 248cc Ninja that cost $4200. Then I see people younger than my kids that have full coverage for half what I pay. No offense ---great for you!!:thumbup:--They always used to say wait til your older and married-- yadda yadda-- and your insurance will go down . I'm still waitin:confused:

definitely seems too expensive. Get some other quotes. I've seen people pay that for a SS...

tinng321
April 13th, 2009, 11:22 AM
How much do I expect to pay for full coverage on a 08 ninja 250?
Geico quote me 1890 for full coverage and 361 for liability while the local dealer gave me an estimate of 199 for full coverage and 71 for liability.
why such a big difference?
i'm 27 from Nj
with 2 points on my license for not making a complete stop at the stop sign. No accident in 7 yrs.
thanks,
Tin

sometimesido
April 13th, 2009, 11:27 AM
is your local dealer a reputable company?
When I was shopping around for my 06, I took my buddy's advise and called local State Farm agent. They went by displacement.

126 for 6 months for full coverage.
oh, and your credit rating does have an effect on your quote.

bob706
April 13th, 2009, 11:36 AM
state farm - $350 a year full coverage
florida
37yrs old
sounds like the only good thing about geico is their commercials - it's the money you could be saving with geico- hilarious

tinng321
April 13th, 2009, 11:39 AM
is your local dealer a reputable company?
When I was shopping around for my 06, I took my buddy's advise and called local State Farm agent. They went by displacement.

126 for 6 months for full coverage.
oh, and your credit rating does have an effect on your quote.

He pulled out the chart from rider and gave me the estimatet.
it's based on displacement and age group.

300-400 sounds rite.
199 for full coverage for a yr is just too good to be true.

sombo
April 13th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Try progressive insurance. That's who I got mine through, but I'm also 32 and running a 1994 so my premium is of course going to be cheaper no matter who it's with. I would still check them out since they are usually one of the lowest priced. I stress USUALLY, cause sometimes they're not. It's going to depend on the area, the bike, and the driver/rider.

BlueTyke
April 13th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I have Progressive and I pay $32 a month for full coverage.

I am on an 06 and am 28 (female) no points etc. I also have my car insured through them.

They also take into consideration your neighborhood and theift/accident rates in those areas. Is it garaged or not? How long you have been driving (yes to them that matters) etc...

Always shop around though. I hear Statefarm is good. As stated Geico seems to be the most expensive. You can also go with Allstate (they do have motorcycle insurance) I don't know how much it is though.

k-os
April 13th, 2009, 01:23 PM
$1800 is definitely way too high. I'm 18 and only pay $209 a year for full coverage. If you can, get a quote of what it would be from your main insurer (car/house) as that should reduce the cost.

Snake
April 13th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I have mine through State Farm. Full coverage is 200 per year. My dealer told me to not mention that it was a Ninja. The word Ninja raises a red flag. He said to tell them it was an EX250F, which is exactly how the title reads.

smcbride11
April 13th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Here's my exact coverage from Progressive:

BODILY INJURY & PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY $155.00
BI $25,000 EACH PERSON - $50,000 EACH ACCIDENT
PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY - $25,000 EACH ACCIDENT

UM PROPERTY DAMAGE $25,000 LESS $200 DEDUCTIBLE $26.00

MEDICAL PAYMENTS $5,000 EACH PERSON $136.00

COMPREHENSIVE $1,000 DEDUCTIBLE $113.00

COLLISION $1,000 DEDUCTIBLE $186.00

CUSTOM PARTS/EQUIP $1,000 INCLUDED WITH COMP/COLL INCL

Premium by Vehicle $616.00

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bi $144.00
$25,000 Each Person - $50,000 Each Accident

Total Policy Premium $760.00

That's for a year, in good ol' Rhode Island. If mine's not the highest on the board, I'll be shocked. I'm 31 with a clean record, a year + MSF on my bike endorsement. Geico's quote was about twice what I pay, for reference. This was the lowest I could find with the coverages I wanted.

tinng321
April 13th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Here's my exact coverage from Progressive:

BODILY INJURY & PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY $155.00
BI $25,000 EACH PERSON - $50,000 EACH ACCIDENT
PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY - $25,000 EACH ACCIDENT

UM PROPERTY DAMAGE $25,000 LESS $200 DEDUCTIBLE $26.00

MEDICAL PAYMENTS $5,000 EACH PERSON $136.00

COMPREHENSIVE $1,000 DEDUCTIBLE $113.00

COLLISION $1,000 DEDUCTIBLE $186.00

CUSTOM PARTS/EQUIP $1,000 INCLUDED WITH COMP/COLL INCL

Premium by Vehicle $616.00

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bi $144.00
$25,000 Each Person - $50,000 Each Accident

Total Policy Premium $760.00

That's for a year, in good ol' Rhode Island. If mine's not the highest on the board, I'll be shocked. I'm 31 with a clean record, a year + MSF on my bike endorsement. Geico's quote was about twice what I pay, for reference. This was the lowest I could find with the coverages I wanted.

Dang...
I feel bad for ya..
the reason i called geico for motorcycle is because i have auto insurance from them.
i'm paying 1400/yr for full coverage on my stang and liability on my legend.
how come no one on here mentions rider?

sm0kediver
April 13th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I called Geico for a quote on my bike and my truck. HA! They were far more expensive than anything else out there. It's no wonder though since they spend so much on advertising.

smcbride11
April 13th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Dang...
I feel bad for ya..

Eh, it comes with the territory. It is frustrating since I'd be paying much less if I lived 6 miles away in MA, but oh well.

Sound Wave
April 13th, 2009, 03:48 PM
both geico and progressive quoted about $700-$800/year. i have 2 of my places and 2 cars with liberty mutual and even they quoted me over $900/year.

i went with state farm. it was like $360 a year.... exact same full coverage.

SF-Dug
April 13th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Try State Farm.

tinng321
April 13th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Eh, it comes with the territory. It is frustrating since I'd be paying much less if I lived 6 miles away in MA, but oh well.

dang. that's really suck.
I think NJ has one of the highest rate in the country.

headshrink
June 4th, 2009, 02:39 PM
This June I have completed my first full year of riding (a year yesterday I believe). My insurance has been through Progressive, and although I don't recall the coverage amounts, I was paying about $80 per month all year. It seemed high compared to others on other boards, but when I researched and found how significant, location, lack of experience, "sport" looking bike, etc. was, I found it wasn't too outrageous for new riders. Age and clean record didn't seem to matter much, although I'm sure negative points would hurt.

I played around with the online quote engine with Geiko (came in a tad cheaper for me then Progressive) to change different factors (bike, experience, etc.), to see when I could expect it to go down. Based on this, I discovered I would have to wait until I had 3yrs of experience (or was it for my 3rd year) before I could expect my first premium reduction. HOWEVER, when we just renewed our existing policy (no changes made in coverage), it came in at $20 cheaper per mo. - what a happy surprise. :D

When I was putting the new insurance card in my wallet I noticed one difference between the original card and the new one. The original said "model: Ninja 250r", and the new card says "model: EX250-J". I know they are both technically correct (marketing name vs. actual model name), but I was wondering if this difference had any possible effect on the premium itself. Any thoughts or similar experiences???

Elfling
June 4th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Woo, congrats! I've been pricing insurance and it's just shockingly high- more than my car payment per bike.

Apex
June 4th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I have Geico, I pay around 30/month for mine. Then again I have more coverage than just basic.

Elfling
June 4th, 2009, 03:29 PM
30? As in..three times 10?

I've been quoted between 200-300 a month from Progressive and State Farm. That's with a completely clean driving record, being over 25, and owning a house with a garage. Maybe it's just Florida :(

Alex
June 4th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Call around, $200 - $300/mo for any bike is usurious, even with the most lavish of coverages. I've had good luck with Nationwide & Foremost in the past.

Ramen
June 4th, 2009, 03:33 PM
You guys don't have full coverage for $140 a year? :D

Apex
June 4th, 2009, 03:37 PM

I've been quoted between 200-300 a month from Progressive and State Farm. That's with a completely clean driving record, being over 25, and owning a house with a garage. Maybe it's just Florida :(
Wow. Yeah I pay 30 a month, and I live in Texas, so year round riding. 30 is more expensive than what I paid in Illinois. I paid about 200/year for my old GS500 (I was 19 with no MSF course).

Alex
June 4th, 2009, 03:37 PM
You guys don't have full coverage for $140 a year? :D

Nope, ours is about $100 a year. ;)

(but it's the 3rd bike on the same policy...)

k-os
June 4th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I've got full coverage for $200. I'm 18, coming up on 2 years riding experience, and it's covered through the same company on the family's cars.

postie1686
June 4th, 2009, 04:00 PM
i go through Progressive and mine just dropped from $140 per year last year to i think it was $115. looked into getting the new zx-6 this year lol cant get under 1,100 per year ouch! this is why im still on the little bike. but its a fun easy riding bike!

HKr1
June 4th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I've got full coverage for $200. I'm 18, coming up on 2 years riding experience, and it's covered through the same company on the family's cars.

200 in your dads name :)

Insurance is the biggest scam! It's out there for freaking everything... Think half our money goes to insurance for one thing or another.

Maybe one day my vehicle insurance will go down :mad:

postie1686
June 4th, 2009, 04:02 PM

Insurance is the biggest scam! It's out there for freaking everything... Think half our money goes to insurance for one thing or another.

i feel the same way. myself i feel you should have to pay in until you reach a cap, like a 1/4 of what the vehicle is worth. as thats what most will consider a total. and once you hit that you souldnt have to pay untill you end up using it. i could see like a $40 dollar reup or something.

headshrink
June 4th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Any thougts on the "change" in model being a factor?

postie1686
June 4th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Any thougts on the "change" in model being a factor?

i would say no. when they put it all in the computer they can cross check the vin

Grn99Kawi
June 4th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I pay about $350/year for Progressive on my 99.. full coverage.. Geico was crazy high.. about 3x that... new rider.. NY

M-Oorb
June 4th, 2009, 04:19 PM

I dont think its just florida...I think its whatever company your using. I live in florida, 21 years of age, been riding for a year and full coverage is 180 a year.

What company are you using?

k-os
June 4th, 2009, 04:42 PM

No it's in my name. They originally said they couldn't cover me because it was a "superbike" then called and said they'd be able to give me the same pricing as my dad was paying for his 2007 Honda Shadow 750.

noche_caliente
June 4th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Mine is around $140 a year - same policy as our two cars, and we carry homeowners on 2 houses with them...
The thing that gets me is that State Farm doesn't do the MSF discount - that kind of sucks IMo

Tintkng
June 4th, 2009, 04:59 PM
wow. i would love 140/yr for insurance. im 22 in ohio, and the cheapest i could find was 85 per month for full coverage. everyone said call around and i ended calling like 4824398439 places. im with allstate and i have 2 cars and renters insurance with them, and its still 85/month. i was looking at a couple different 600cc bikes and they were about 250-300 per month!!!! thats triple the bike payment! by the way...i only have 1 speeding ticket and it drops off in july! yay!

tinng321
June 4th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I pay about $350/year for Progressive on my 99.. full coverage.. Geico was crazy high.. about 3x that... new rider.. NY

+1 on geico.
I have pay $226/yr for full coverage thru rider.
Geico quoted me for $1060/yr.

Just an FIY.
The ninja 250 is not considered a sport bike. Although, some insurance saleman will try to convince you that it is.

tinng321
June 4th, 2009, 05:14 PM
wow. i would love 140/yr for insurance. im 22 in ohio, and the cheapest i could find was 85 per month for full coverage. everyone said call around and i ended calling like 4824398439 places. im with allstate and i have 2 cars and renters insurance with them, and its still 85/month. i was looking at a couple different 600cc bikes and they were about 250-300 per month!!!! thats triple the bike payment! by the way...i only have 1 speeding ticket and it drops off in july! yay!

Have you tried Rider?

Duvivr6
June 4th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I have progrsive and I pay 230 a year! which is not to bad with 0 years experience!

Elfling
June 4th, 2009, 08:14 PM
What kind of deductibles are you all carrying? Is this liability only, or comp/coll/med?

sombo
June 4th, 2009, 10:48 PM

Are you sure you didn't misread it saying 200-300 for the year? That would sound more realistic. I don't see it even being possible for anyone to charge that much a month for full coverage on the 250r. Maybe if the bike was made of freaking gold or silver perhaps. 300 a month for insurance in a year is like paying twice for you bike, that's retarded. I'd say do the quote again and pay attention to detail.

I ended up paying $75 for minimal insurance for the year in PA from Progressive. Then when I moved to Orlando I changed it to a Florida policy and added a little coverage I ended up paying about $160 for a year's worth of insurance from Progressive.

Elfling
June 5th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Are you sure you didn't misread it saying 200-300 for the year? That would sound more realistic. I don't see it even being possible for anyone to charge that much a month for full coverage on the 250r. Maybe if the bike was made of freaking gold or silver perhaps. 300 a month for insurance in a year is like paying twice for you bike, that's retarded. I'd say do the quote again and pay attention to detail.

I ended up paying $75 for minimal insurance for the year in PA from Progressive. Then when I moved to Orlando I changed it to a Florida policy and added a little coverage I ended up paying about $160 for a year's worth of insurance from Progressive.

Nope- 3500+ *per year* with a 600 dollar downpayment. Mind you, this was for the CBR, not the Ninja. My boyfriend's quote for the GSX-R was even worse- double his monthly payment.

However, these were quotes from companies I'm not currently with; my car/house insurance is with USAA, I'm going to give them a call and see.

headshrink
June 5th, 2009, 03:10 AM
my car/house insurance is with USAA, I'm going to give them a call and see.

Me too.... BUT unfortunately they farm out motorcycles to Progressive. I'm not really sure I got any better deal through my USAA affiliation though. It wasn't even with a USAA rep - it sounded like a transfer to any old P rep. I could be wrong about that though.

sombo
June 5th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Nope- 3500+ *per year* with a 600 dollar down payment. Mind you, this was for the CBR, not the Ninja. My boyfriend's quote for the GSX-R was even worse- double his monthly payment.

However, these were quotes from companies I'm not currently with; my car/house insurance is with USAA, I'm going to give them a call and see.

Oh, ok, even though that quote still sucks it makes more sense. Thought we were all talking ninja 250s here on the NINJETTE forms. Don't be throwing in quotes like that without specifying that it's not for the same type of bike everyone else is talking about. Silly elfling. :p

IlBLisSlI
June 5th, 2009, 06:27 AM
yikes... i'm with state farm paying $11 a month for full coverage (uninsured motorists, theft, liability, collision, comprehensive, road side assistance, and so on)
age 26 finishing up my first year on a bike
this is even after my 'run in' with a cow
edit: forgot to add $50 deductible

tjkamper
June 5th, 2009, 07:59 AM
I have a $500 deducatble with progressive and it was only $18 a month.

headshrink
June 5th, 2009, 08:11 AM
yikes... i'm with state farm paying $11 a month for full coverage (uninsured motorists, theft, liability, collision, comprehensive, road side assistance, and so on)
age 26 finishing up my first year on a bike
this is even after my 'run in' with a cow

"Cow Killer" - LOTFLMAO! :drivingcrash:

Elfling
June 5th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Oh, ok, even though that quote still sucks it makes more sense. Thought we were all talking ninja 250s here on the NINJETTE forms. Don't be throwing in quotes like that without specifying that it's not for the same type of bike everyone else is talking about. Silly elfling. :p
I'm going to blame it on the Vicodin :D

talldrink
June 5th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I am also with Progressive and pay approx. $80/month for my ninjette AND scooter.

noche_caliente
June 5th, 2009, 01:10 PM
What kind of deductibles are you all carrying? Is this liability only, or comp/coll/med?

My 140 is FULL coverage with a $250 deductible for collision and none for comprehensive

noche_caliente
June 5th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I'm going to blame it on the Vicodin :D

I thought you said it didn't hurt? just taking the vicodin for fun? ;)

richierich781
June 5th, 2009, 07:18 PM
i pay $16 a month with full coverage with a little more than the basic with state farm. it does suck that they dont count the msf as a discount.

sombo
June 6th, 2009, 12:38 PM
They're supposed to, so I would contact them and find out what's going on. I know progressive includes the MSF discount. All insurance firms have discounts for taking approved driving education courses and you can't get any higher then MSF.

Sailariel
June 7th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I am with Progressive, through USAA. My full coverage with $500 Deductible is $150. a year. I got a discount for taking the advanced Motorcycle Safety Course, and a discount for 50 years accident and ticket free. The killer is that my registration/exise tax is $289. a year. Maine has high taxes.

NaughtyusMaximus
June 7th, 2009, 06:20 PM
With full coverage, I'm at about $75/month. I think $500 deductable, but it might be as high as $1000.

Duvivr6
June 9th, 2009, 06:02 AM

I dont know if you were talking to me but i'll answer anyways :D

Its comprehensive, but no collision.
If I added collision it was hella expensive!:eek:

BlueRaven
June 9th, 2009, 07:42 AM
$220/year through state farm in canada with a motorcycle licence for less than a year.

$320/year Allstate

NaughtyusMaximus
June 9th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Damn Easterners get all the perks. :thumbup: I'm stuck with ICBC here. There are only a couple companies that can offer 3rd party liability here too, which is ~$350 of my yearly cost.

Cedilla
June 11th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Wow how are you guys/gals insurance so cheap. I just got quoted 170 a month from state farm, or 90 a month if I add my car to the policy.:eek: All the major insurance companies have quoted me around those rates and I have a squeaky clean driving record and have had my motorcycle licence for 6 years. Im 19 btw
I really didnt do my homework b4 i got the bike(it was sort of an impulse buy) now im a little freaked out by insurance rates. :mad:

noche_caliente
June 11th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Wow how are you guys/gals insurance so cheap. I just got quoted 170 a month from state farm, or 90 a month if I add my car to the policy.:eek: All the major insurance companies have quoted me around those rates and I have a squeaky clean driving record and have had my motorcycle licence for 6 years. Im 19 btw
I really didnt do my homework b4 i got the bike(it was sort of an impulse buy) now im a little freaked out by insurance rates. :mad:

Chris, one thing that might help is when they ask you about the type of bike, don't say the word ninja in the conversation at all - they might be quoting you for the higher sportbike rate - call it the EX250 and see if that improves your quotes

Cedilla
June 11th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I did, they even punched in the vin, so its not a mistake on the model.
Im doing online quotes now and so far ive got 1,009yr from progressive and 979yr from Esurance

JaeL
August 3rd, 2009, 07:32 PM
List what type of coverage you have, your age, your bike, carrier and how much you're paying.

I'm paying for full coverage $96/year with State Farm, I'm 25 and drive a 250....

Momaru
August 3rd, 2009, 07:50 PM
I think I coughed up almost $700 last year for insurance through Progressive. That said, when I got the first quote/rate from them I had 2 old tickets on record (not felonies, but pretty bad). However one should have come off and I just turned 25 recently, so we'll see about the second time around.

sketch
August 3rd, 2009, 08:02 PM
List what type of coverage you have, your age, your bike, carrier and how much you're paying.

I'm paying for full coverage $96/year with State Farm, I'm 25 and drive a 250....

Wow, that's crazy cheap. I checked with Progressive the other day and was quoted around $80/month. Will definitely have to check State Farm. I'm 27, male with one recent speeding ticket (last 3 years) and the quote was for an 08 Ninja 250r.

JaeL
August 3rd, 2009, 08:13 PM
Wow, that's crazy cheap. I checked with Progressive the other day and was quoted around $80/month. Will definitely have to check State Farm. I'm 27, male with one recent speeding ticket (last 3 years) and the quote was for an 08 Ninja 250r.

I should mention I have a couple tickets, wasn't 25 when policy started, and have two cars and a house with them as well.

sketch
August 3rd, 2009, 08:37 PM
I should mention I have a couple tickets, wasn't 25 when policy started, and have two cars and a house with them as well.

I feel like I'm getting ripped off now, lol. My quote was 10x what you are paying. Maybe they just give huge discounts for the multiple autos and house. I dunno.

They did ask how long I've been riding and how long I've had a motorcycle license. I just got my license with no experience (except MSF course) so that may have had something to do with it as well. Did you have prior experience riding or did they not even ask that at State Farm? I'm interested in checking with them tomorrow.

Apex
August 3rd, 2009, 08:40 PM
30/month. Not bad, but we can ride year round down here. Plus I don't have a squeaky clean history. I have two incidents in the past 4 years while in a car.

Courteau
August 3rd, 2009, 08:48 PM
Me and my wife both got brand new 09

Im 27 no ticket, no accident, full cover = 410$CAN/Year
My wife, 31, no ticket, no accident, full cover = 220$can/year

we're both on apprentice license so next year when we will get our full license it should come down

k-os
August 3rd, 2009, 11:39 PM
Full coverage, 19 years old, 2008 Ninja 250, American Family Insurance, $209 a year.

00v_Lucky
August 4th, 2009, 12:45 AM
18 full coverage for like $90 a month =/ state farm. I WIN.

ARF07
August 4th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Man, now I wanna be 25..geez..I'm getting hit for about 85/month. I'm guessing that's kuz I'm 19 and less than a year riding.

bluphobic
August 4th, 2009, 04:14 AM
28, 50k/100k full coverage. 250collision, 100comp, --> $220 a year through State Farm.

BLUEHAWAII
August 4th, 2009, 04:30 AM
38 year old female, 08 250, state farm = $23 a month. But I also have a house, 3 vehicles, gsxr 600, 4 life ins., and a camper also listed with them, they do give extra discounts the more that you carry with them.

HKr1
August 4th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Maybe they just give huge discounts for the multiple autos and house. I dunno.

When they dropped house coverage here in Florida, it only raised the autos $80.00 a year. Kinda pissed me off, it was there choice to not cover house's here anymore. SF could never give a good bike quote even with autos and house. Insurance is a funny thing.

JaeL
August 4th, 2009, 05:24 AM
I feel like I'm getting ripped off now, lol. My quote was 10x what you are paying. Maybe they just give huge discounts for the multiple autos and house. I dunno.

They did ask how long I've been riding and how long I've had a motorcycle license. I just got my license with no experience (except MSF course) so that may have had something to do with it as well. Did you have prior experience riding or did they not even ask that at State Farm? I'm interested in checking with them tomorrow.

When I purchased my bike and added it to my insurance I had no experience nor did I have my license.

18 full coverage for like $90 a month =/ state farm. I WIN.

lol how do you win when you're still paying $83 more a month than I?

SteveL
August 4th, 2009, 05:58 AM
I pay the equivalent of $300 per year this is full cover for me and anyone I allow to ride the bike. It also covers theft of articles from the bike, my cloths helmet etc if I fall off. Any damage caused in a parking lot or vandalism is also covered.

Steve

BlueTyke
August 4th, 2009, 06:15 AM
29 Female, I have both my car and bike on progressive. Both have ful coverage against it all (This is Baltimore afterall), and I pay $32 a month for Tyke's insurance. And yes I keep it year round. One never knows what might happen in a storage facility.

Apex
August 4th, 2009, 06:49 AM
29 Female, I have both my car and bike on progressive. Both have ful coverage against it all (This is Baltimore afterall), and I pay $32 a month for Tyke's insurance. And yes I keep it year round. One never knows what might happen in a storage facility.

Move down here to Texas and you won't need to store it! :D

g21-30
August 4th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Unfortunately, this is like comparing apples to oranges. Liability limits, deductibles, etc. determine your policy costs. Someone with "full coverage" who is 25 years old and has liability limits $20,000-$100,000 with deductible of $500, might pay $100/year. Someone with "full coverage" who is 50 years old and has liability limits of $300,000 with $250 deductible, might pay $200/year. If the 25 year old opted for the $300,000 with $250 deductible, it might cost him/her $500 or more per year! YMMV

Cedilla
August 4th, 2009, 06:54 AM
20 years old, 950 per year, I have some off brand generic insurance company, that quoted me much cheaper than everyone else. My driving record is squeaky clean until I pay this bad speeding ticket off.(was going 35 over)

BlueTyke
August 4th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Move down here to Texas and you won't need to store it! :D

Heck no! No offense of course... If I move again it'll be back to Cali... Thunderstorms :: shiver ::

shift_6
August 4th, 2009, 08:12 AM
22 turning 23 soon, liability minimum for ny plus theft/natural disasters coverage, 550/year through esurance

should go down even more next year

tinng321
August 4th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Unfortunately, this is like comparing apples to oranges. Liability limits, deductibles, etc. determine your policy costs. Someone with "full coverage" who is 25 years old and has liability limits $20,000-$100,000 with deductible of $500, might pay $100/year. Someone with "full coverage" who is 50 years old and has liability limits of $300,000 with $250 deductible, might pay $200/year. If the 25 year old opted for the $300,000 with $250 deductible, it might cost him/her $500 or more per year! YMMV

Great point.

DarkNinja52
August 4th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I couldnt get collision or comprehensive insurance for anything below 1k a year, and figure that its probably not worth it at that price. Any suggestions? 20, about to be 21 new 09 ninja250 clean record. looks like statefarm is pretty good

00v_Lucky
August 4th, 2009, 03:06 PM
lol how do you win when you're still paying $83 more a month than I?

sarcasm yo. :(

ScorpionNinja
August 4th, 2009, 03:43 PM

oooh you have multi-vehicle/house ... no wonder its 96 yr.

im 32, no tixs all clean, and i pay 354 yr. cheapest is 214, but i dont have medical.. so i added that in the event i get hurt... least my leg or such will be covered :D

im with state farm also, mt car is different tho

conchwanab
August 4th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Full coverage for 26 a month,and 13 a month for fire and theft once i put the ninjette up for storage in mid to late December.This is from Allstate with me being 38yrs old and nothing on my driving record.

mike_sema
August 4th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I have Country Financial i pay $28 month and or $338 yr I am 30 and have only had my mcl for less then a year. I have never gotten a ticket. I used progessive for my cars for over 10yrs and they still wanted $185 a month to add the 250r so i had to switch every thing over to Country Financial
liabiltity-bodily injury-250,000-500,000
property damage 100,000-300,000
uninsured motorist 100,000-300,000
and underinsured motorists 100,000-300,000
with a $500 deduct

istreefitty
August 4th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I have State Farm and I pay about 170 dollars a year for Full collision/comp. I have a $250 dollar deductable and also have some coverage for dropping or scratching the paint (250 deductable 1 time every 2 years). What that means is I can get my bike repainted every 2 years for only $250. I have to say that was the deciding factor for my ninjette.

Ohh with that said I do not have very good personal bodily injury as the military will pay for it (as long as dot my "i" s and cross my "t" s)

DarkNinja52
August 4th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I pay that much for everything but col/comp. I want col/comp dammit lmao. I gota figure this out. A lot of people seem to be in the military on here, pretty cool if u ask me, i considered the air force for a while but my parents were against it so i got a motorcycle instead :)

but about state farm... i think i'll check out a quote from them and just cancel my insurance with Rider even though I already paid 200. But If i can coll/comp from state farm for the same price, i think i'll just call it even...

AnarchoMoltov
August 4th, 2009, 09:52 PM
LIABILITY ONLY on my 07 gsxr-750 is $679 a year...

abyssdncr
August 4th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I'm 30, no tickets, no accidents - Policy is full coverage 50/100/50, $250 for comp & collision, no personal injury protection. Wife & I are both on this policy. $7 & change per month through State Farm.

We also have the house, cars, & my bike with State Farm.

Rafalski
August 4th, 2009, 10:42 PM

I pay 1600 on a 08 250 im 24. Ontario has some messed up insurance. thats all i got to say.

komohana
August 5th, 2009, 04:31 PM
i have liability only, i'm 46 with a '03 EX 250 F, with Progressive i'm paying about $100.00p/yr.

addy126
August 7th, 2009, 12:40 AM
09 N-250 @ $ 280.00 per year/23.00 per month from Dairyland Insurance:thumbup:
liability-bodily injury
property damage
uninsured motorist
and underinsured motorists
500.00 deductible
no medical (employment medical insurance does me fine)

Talonne
August 22nd, 2009, 02:31 PM
2009 Ninja 250
Age 26, female
State Farm (I do not have anything else insured with them)

$1,000,000 liability
$500 collision
$250 comprehensive

$452 CAD/year

They actually didn't care that I don't even have my class 6 license yet... It would have been the same rate regardless.

Ichiro
August 22nd, 2009, 03:18 PM

Completely agree with g21-30. Absent hard numbers and details on the coverages, the term "full coverage" is worthless for comparison purposes.

Ask yourselves if this would make any sense: How much should I pay for a motorcycle? "I just bought a 'sports bike' for $5,000!" "Wow that's cheap, I just paid $9,000!" " You guys all overpaid, I just got one for $3,500." "Damn. Great deal!" Huh?

Snoman13
August 22nd, 2009, 06:52 PM
I pay 1600 on a 08 250 im 24. Ontario has some messed up insurance. thats all i got to say.

1600 here too, 21yr old.

Frig I hate Ontario

Postiez
August 22nd, 2009, 07:44 PM
$74 for 6 months, progressive, 22, first vehicle.

should be lower next visit too =)

Redskins Rule
August 25th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I have progressive:

Brand new rider, Age 27 Male, $250,000/$500,000( Liability/Collision); $100,000 Property damage

Deductibles: $250 Liability; $1,000 Collision

No medical

But I have towing...

I have several other policies with progressive (two cars, umbrella, and homeowners)

I'm paying $380 a year.

I think I'm paying a bit too much, but I will until next July to see how much my premiums will drop...

Immortalhippo
August 27th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Every state has different insurance rates. Every insurance company quotes differently. I currently only have Liability on the ninja because I figured I would be smart and just go get the bike and write my own insurance through progressive that day. I'm an agent by the way. Well they wanted over $1,200 a year on a brand spankin new 09 250r. So I went with Liability for $86 bucks a year. I found out through my underwriters that Progressive could give a damn about CC's. They look at the classification of the bike. If you have a cruiser they love ya but if you have a sport bike they WILL quote ya but they are gonna make it so high you wouldn't want it anyway. So all said and done I'm looking for full coverage elsewhere. I've been told State Farm and All State are our best bets. Just be careful and shop around unlike this guy. :(

cifex
August 27th, 2009, 02:31 PM
$60 / mo with Progressive for Comprehensive with the maximums. $500 deductable

24 years old, no tickets within 36 months.

BTW, progressive definitely does look at CCs. They quoted me $80 / mo for the 500R.

emt250
August 27th, 2009, 02:47 PM
398 dollars a year for basic liability, 500 dollar deductible on collision and towing.

Immortalhippo
August 27th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I'm sure everyone checks CC's to some extent but I've been an insurance agent for almost 4 years now and I can definitely tell you that in NC they are outrageous on sport bikes. Progressive just looks more aggressively at other factors than engine size. I've also heard that NC has quite a high motorcycle theft rate which may have something to do with our higher bike insurance prices. I haven't had a ticket of any kind in over 5 years either. knock on wood!

smcbride11
August 28th, 2009, 07:21 AM
I'm 31 in RI with a clean record, an MSF discount and a "having a child and a house" discount through Progressive. I'm not sure if the quoted section is a legit discount, but I presume it lowers your risk rating, since my rates went down when I checked both boxes.

Full coverage at 25/50 with $1,000 deductible. Includes Comp/Coll, Uninsured/Underinsured, medical payments and liability. Does not include roadside assistance (I've got that through the AMA).

Paying a year in full, it's $700 even. Paying monthly, it comes out to $755.

cifex
August 28th, 2009, 07:26 AM
MSF is a 10% discount by law in NY.

liltenatattoo
August 28th, 2009, 10:37 AM
i pay $12 a month for my 250, i'm 29, and i think i have a $500 deductible on collison, but not too sure on that.

Immortalhippo
August 28th, 2009, 11:09 AM
My Progressive rep literally just left my office and he had me re quote my bike since the rates had come down a bit. It went from over twelve hundred to just over eleven hundred. Needless to say I laughed him outa the office!

cifex
August 28th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Are you 18 or something? 5 accidents?? Speeding tickets? Why is it so much?

Voodoo Rufus
August 28th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Default Progressive insurance, $164/yr. 26yrs old with one driving accident in the past three years.

jfauerba
August 28th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I think I'm paying around $300 per year with Nationwide in Asheville, NC, 43 no tickets in many, many years. Hope my luck keeps holding out.
To me, it's strange the my motorcycle is not on the same policy as my two cars.

pingpong
August 28th, 2009, 11:46 AM
im 28.. state farm didnt ask me how long ive been riding.. although other companies did.. i have less than a year of even having insurance on a car.. and which my car is with geico.. 1 accident last year.. and im paying 26.77 a month full coverage.. geico wanted over a 100.. i googled cheap motorcycle insurance.. and saw a number which i called.. some third company thing.. that gets paid for names they refer.. well they have a list of cheapest insurance for certain age groups in my area.. which turned out great..

Immortalhippo
August 28th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Are you 18 or something? 5 accidents?? Speeding tickets? Why is it so much?
Like I said I'm a commercial insurance agent. I specialize in writing tractor trailers but I have Progressive that I can write personal auto and motorcycle insurance with. I'm 25 with a clear record but every single state has a different insurance rate. So all this comparison of insurance from different states is pretty much moot.

cifex
August 28th, 2009, 12:47 PM
It confuses me because, I am 24, younger than you with a similar record in an area that is far more dangerous. New York has the 4th highest insurance premiums, NC has the 8th lowest. Yet Progressive gives me 40% lower than what they offer you. Just doesn't quite tally.... Maybe they are trying to move out of NC???

Immortalhippo
August 28th, 2009, 12:57 PM
As far as I know they aren't trying to move out of the area. There are so many factors at play when it comes to a company giving you a quote there really is no telling what's going on. That really baffles me how your quote is so low. Do you know if your comprehensive coverage covers theft in New York. It really wouldn't surprise me if they don't cover for theft up there.

cifex
August 28th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Yup. Theft and fire. I got the maximum coverage. Its 300/100/300 or something like that + Emergency flatbed.

zev42
August 28th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Type of Coverage: Full, which covers the bike with a $250 deductible, and riding gear (such as your jacket, pants, boots, helmet, and gloves)
Bike: 2008 Ninja 250
Carrier: Progressive
Premium: $900 1-yr

ASecretNinja
August 30th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I'm 26, perfect driving record, and brand new M1 endorsement. Minimum coverage + $100 deduct for comp., I paid like 212 for the year with Progressive.

That kid paying 90 a month is full of fail, rofl.

andrewexd
August 30th, 2009, 11:53 PM
How can I get the cheapest quote possible ? Im 17 so my dad has to be the main insured so how can I make it cheaper for me ? Should i put down that he rides 90% and me 10% or that i use it for pleasure instead of commuting ? even though I choose basic coverage im getting quotes over 1k and about 5k just for decent coverage.

edit : also If my bike is insured under my dads name but not mine, am I covered (accident / police stops) ? I know that if you live in the same household you have to list everyone who rides on the insurance butI don't live with my dad but the bike is kept at my house. the insurance company wouldn't know right ?

istreefitty
August 31st, 2009, 01:35 AM
As long as your name is on the card it shouldn't be a big deal.

The only thing you can do is not own a sport bike at the age of 17. Also try state farm they classify bikes by cc not by type. I mean no offense but you are soooo young that If you think a sports car is out of the question then what were you thinking about a sport bike??? Lol good luck with everything and just remember doing things you love cost money
Posted via Mobile Device

andrewexd
August 31st, 2009, 02:00 AM
As long as your name is on the card it shouldn't be a big deal.

The only thing you can do is not own a sport bike at the age of 17. Also try state farm they classify bikes by cc not by type. I mean no offense but you are soooo young that If you think a sports car is out of the question then what were you thinking about a sport bike??? Lol good luck with everything and just remember doing things you love cost money
Posted via Mobile Device

Basically right now I have liability on the 250 but the bike and the insurance is under my dads name, not mine. So I was wondering if i would be covered without having my name on the insurance coverage (in case of an accident). I've heard sate farm is the best but my dad rides a harley so going by cc's may not be the best either, or maybe we can have seperate companies for each bike... im not sure what car you're talking about... :confused:

gizmogamez
August 31st, 2009, 09:19 AM
26, liability with theft and vandalism, 1 ticket, been riding for just over 1 year. 09 ninja 250......$50/month....full coverage was quoted at $58/month

gizmogamez
August 31st, 2009, 09:23 AM

hmmm....I have a liability limit of $2,000,000 lol,
full coverage was the same with a $500 deductable

I believe (but don't quote me) that in Ontario you have to have a minimum of $1,000,000 liability (or that is the default min they quote you with and you have to ask if you want less anyways).

cochraneap
September 2nd, 2009, 11:55 AM
$700/yr on a 2008 250R with State Farm. I have 2 cars and homeowners with them too, so you think I'd get a big discount, but I'm under 25 and unmarried so I guess that's why it's so high.

25ERic
September 3rd, 2009, 11:52 AM
I pay about $280 a year with Rider. :thumbup:

rinachandayo
September 17th, 2009, 09:35 AM
WA State, 23 years old, Progressive, Full Coverage, $816/Year.

Kawasabi
October 16th, 2009, 06:45 AM
2008 250EX, Full Coverage, $225 a year, GEICO. :juggle:

Talonne
October 16th, 2009, 07:55 AM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25926

:)

CZroe
October 16th, 2009, 08:45 AM
I have no health insurance so I made sure to get uninsured motorist, medical, etc on my policy. It's also my primary transportation so I have to be insured even for potential run-ins with walls/pavement or out-right theft. That said, I'm doin' $50 a month with Progressive. I have a good driving history and am now 29yo. I started the policy Aug 08 when I was 27yo but I haven't renegotiated after a year plus of experience because I still don't have health insurance. Also, it would be much cheaper if I weren't paying monthly, but I just can't save up to pay a significant amount in advance (3, 6, or 12mo rates).

killerkay3
October 16th, 2009, 01:01 PM
18 yrs old, Full Coverage, around $700 a year

bogdanb
October 16th, 2009, 01:25 PM
40 USD per year :) clear driving history, I am not aware of the coverige , but is binding insurance.

zev42
October 16th, 2009, 03:12 PM
2008 Ninja 250, 24 years old, California, $520... recently upgraded to full coverage for $930.

rockNroll
October 16th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Ninja 205 $288 per year, full coverage $500 deductible. State Farm.
CBR 1000RR $420 per year, full coverage $500 deductible. state farm.

g21-30
October 16th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Bump for "full coverage!"

k1prototype
October 16th, 2009, 05:19 PM
As many have previously said, insurance is very subjective based on your coverage and location. It's very difficult to compare insurance apples to apples, its more like apples to oranges. To just say you have full coverage or liability doesn't really mean anything. It can range anywhere from 20/40/15 (which is 20,000 per vehicle | 40,000 total per accident | 15,000 property damage) to the millions depending on what you want. Anyways here's mine:

GEICO

KAWASAKI
EX250-J NI

Premium per year (living in Chicago's suburbs):
$567.00

Coverages Limits / Deductibles Total Vehicle

Bodily Injury Liability $50,000/$100,000 | $61.00
Property Damage Liability $50,000 | $15.00
Medical Payments $2,000 | $31.00
Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury $50,000/$100,000 | $72.00
Underinsured Motorist $50,000/$100,000 | $46.00
Comprehensive $500 Ded. $74.00
Collision $500 Ded. $261.00
Towing and Labor Non Deductible $7.00

Also on a side note for those of you who aren't sure what exactly you have, don't be so ignorant and check on your coverage. The last thing you want is to be in a situation where you are screwed when time comes to file a claim on your car or bike.

Good example:
My friend living in Jersey with a 2001 25th anniversary Nissan Maxima recently got hit from behind trying to switch lanes. The police and the insurance company of the guy that hit him said because my friend was switching lanes the accident is his fault. If the guy would have hit him if he wouldn't have been switching lanes then the accident wouldn't be his fault.

When he went to go file a claim with his insurance company they told him he only had liability and not full coverage. He's a student and when he told his dad needless to say his dad was surprised and pissed because my friends car is covered in his dad's policy along with his other cars, house, and business. The insurance agent apparently quoted his dad a cheap price to get him to buy the policy but my friends dad never paid attention to what he was getting. Now my friend has to pay about 4,000 in damages out of pocket.

Syphen
October 16th, 2009, 05:26 PM
1600 here too, 21yr old.

Frig I hate Ontario

Wow.. that sucks. I'm from Ontario also, we get screwed here in Canada. Anyways my bikes broken down:

'92 CBR250RR - $700/year
'08 Ninja 250R - $900/year
'01 CBR600F4i - $2100/year

That is for a 24 year old with a few tickets on the record living Simcoe county (location matters, Toronto/GTA rates are actually higher then northern Ontario insurance rates.)

k1prototype
October 16th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I'd hate to say this but i'm not surprised insurance rates are so high in Toronto. My aunt lives there and when I drove around there people really can't drive. I thought Chicago drivers on I-290 were bad heading into the city but personally I felt Toronto drivers were much worse.:D

Cedilla
October 16th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Im paying just under $1,000 a year for full coverage, with 1,000 dollar deductible. 20yrs old, had clean driving record at start of policy.

Ananda
October 16th, 2009, 08:02 PM
27, $340 for full coverage w/$500 deductible. Just got a quote for my SV650 and it's gonna go up to $580 and the least they can give me is a $1000 deductible :(

Maybe I should try State Farm!

k1prototype
October 16th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Like I posted in the other thread:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25926&page=2

Insurance is subjective. To say full coverage with a certain price doesn't really mean anything.

Full coverage can range from a barebones policy 20/40/15 to whatever you want. The more protection you want the more its going to cost.

Lets post coverage amounts as well to get a true apples to apples comparison.

Mine is 567 a year w/ Geico living in a suburb of Chicago.

Coverage 50/100/50

I'm 26.

Side note: make sure you know what your policy covers! Many people end up getting shafted when they find out their cheap insurance doesn't necessarily cover the cost of the accident. Case in point my friends story in the other thread.

nate-bama
October 17th, 2009, 07:27 AM
progressive full coverage $494 a year

I'm 30 and had 1 ticket for 15 over in the last three years..thank god they didn't ask about farther back

diablo250
October 18th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I'm 23 and I have 3 points on my license. I pay $275 a year for liability through Progressive.

andrewexd
November 10th, 2009, 06:46 PM
state farm is the best !! I got quoted for 12 bucks a month for liability only :eek: and this is for the GSXR600 not the ninja. I ended up getting 50/100/50 liability, uninsured motorist and 500 deduct for comp. (no collision) and it came out to about 600 a year or $50 a month. Collision would have added like 300 a year. and im only 17 (clean record of course :))

250Rocket
November 10th, 2009, 08:04 PM
2009 Ninja 250R, 21, m, virgin driving record (Car license for 4 years, motorcycle since June 08).

Another thing people should add is big city or not. People living in small towns will never pay close to big city folks. I'm in the 2nd biggest city in Canada.

You could also add credit score, some insurers use it but that's getting to personal, but just keep it in mind when you think about yours.

340$ CAD /year for:

1 mil liability
50,000 medical
fire/theft/vandalism

M
November 11th, 2009, 10:14 AM
$42/year through State Farm for:

250/500 liability
$250 deductible comprehensive

I don't carry collision on either 250.

Reswob
November 11th, 2009, 10:40 AM
$250/yr, liability only w/Progressive.
It did go down about $50 after I had a year of riding experience. Was quoted $2,500/yr for full coverage! (22 with a lot of speeding tickets on my record) I think I am gonna check out State Farm when my current policy is up next summer.

Snake
November 11th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I pay $170 a year through State Farm.

Kawasabi
November 11th, 2009, 11:20 AM
2 benjamins & change for 12 months, full coverage, statefarm, just like an old neighbor!

adri99an
January 10th, 2010, 12:41 PM
What do you guys pay for Motorcycle insurance on your Ninjas?

Me--

Geico = $115 for the year
Coverages Limits / Deductibles 2008
KAWASAKi EX250-J NI

Bodily Injury Liability $15,000/$30,000 Non Deductible= $23.00

Property Damage Liability $10,000 Non Deductible= $10.00

Uninsured Motorist & Underinsured Motorist= $15,000/$30,000 Non Deductible $42.00

Comprehensive $250 Ded.= $25.00

Uninsured Motorist Property Damage $3,500 Non Deductible = $15.00

Trying to figure out if this is too much insurance, not enough or just right....

Any thoughts??

Alex
January 10th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Limits seem quite low; 15k/30k won't cover much of anything before it runs out and your own assets are on the line. Get a quote with 100k/300k or 250k/500k; it may turn out to be less than you think.

laraider
January 11th, 2010, 03:11 AM
im in Ca too, and i have geico too.

Bodily Injury Liability $300,000/$300,000 Non Deductible= $50.00

Property Damage Liability $100,000 Non Deductible= $15.00

Motorcycle Medical Payments $2000=$43.00

Uninsured Motorist & Underinsured Motorist= $100,000/$300,000 Non Deductible $92.00

Uninsured Motorists Property Damage $3500 = $20

Comprehensive $50 Ded.= $37.00

Total $257 / year

binlagin
January 11th, 2010, 05:18 AM
I could only dream if insurance was that cheap in Canada....

Zombiphone
January 11th, 2010, 08:37 PM
I'm also in Ca, but I have Progressive. My insurance was once about that cheap when I had a 2005 250 with no comp or collision, but now that I have my '09 I'm paying:

Bodily injury and Property damage liability - $187.00
(Bodily injury- $15,000 per person/$30,000 per accident)
(Property Damage Liability- $10,000 per accident)

Uninsured/under insured motorists - $83.00
($15,000 per person/ $30,000 per accident)

Uninsured Motorist Property Damage $3,500 - $5.00

Comprehensive $250 Deductible - $300.00
(Accessory Coverage $3,000 included)

Roadside Assistance - $6.00

Total - $581.00 a year

I do, however, live in an only okay area of Los Angeles, am under 25, and have a ticket on my record (which is almost hitting its 3 year mark actually, so that shouldn't matter for much longer :D) all of which I know are factored into the price I pay. I get a discount since I also have car insurance through them though, and everyone else I checked was quoting me higher, so I don't feel too bad about it.

Betlog
January 11th, 2010, 10:09 PM
I noticed that none of you guys have Collision? Is that the general rule for motorcycles?

rattracing
January 11th, 2010, 11:18 PM
For those posting your rates, would you mind posting your age too? Or at least age range? Reason I ask is because I am trying to work out my budget for getting a ninjette, which requires insurance. Me being a young male adult makes me think ridiculous rates.

kevlarorc
January 12th, 2010, 10:16 AM
In Texas, age 19, first vehicle
bodily injury / liability 25,000/50,000
property damage liability 50,000
comprehensive ded 500
Optional Equip $1000
Yearly $461

I did it through allstate partly because they had the best rate I could find and also I had been under them when I was on my dad's insurance. My trick was to find an agent who is not paid on commission. In this instance she's a supervisor of some sort so she did her best to find every money-saving deal she could for me and my dad.

gizmogamez
January 12th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I could only dream if insurance was that cheap in Canada....

the rates seem nice, but, my ninja is $600/yr and I have 2 million liability. 100k or even 300k isn't much if you get hurt bad, or hurt someone else bad.
However it does seem a little redundant since we wouldn't pay for most of our care if we got hurt anyways. When I crashed at the track it was xrays, 2 CT's and a cast later and I paid for nothing.
The cost would come in if I had to do physio, but I'm covered through work for that (company pays for it not me) so again the high amount seems a little crazy.
We can thank the jerks who milk the system and stay off work for 6 months because they got a little bump for the high rates.

laraider
January 12th, 2010, 10:36 AM
the rates seem nice, but, my ninja is $600/yr and I have 2 million liability. 100k or even 300k isn't much if you get hurt bad, or hurt someone else bad.
However it does seem a little redundant since we wouldn't pay for most of our care if we got hurt anyways. When I crashed at the track it was xrays, 2 CT's and a cast later and I paid for nothing.
The cost would come in if I had to do physio, but I'm covered through work for that (company pays for it not me) so again the high amount seems a little crazy.
We can thank the jerks who milk the system and stay off work for 6 months because they got a little bump for the high rates.

2m in liability? I wasn't even given that option, i just got the highest possible which is 300k/300k.

gizmogamez
January 12th, 2010, 10:45 AM
2m in liability? I wasn't even given that option, i just got the highest possible which is 300k/300k.

yea, 1m is automatic, most companies have moved to 2m. you can ask for less but most won't do it.
Ontario has the highest insurance rates in the country, but studies also show that for a given injury we also have the highest cost associated with it because where "down time" might be 6 weeks in another province and cost $50k, in Ontario the same injury takes 8 weeks of "down time and $100k...

ASecretNinja
January 15th, 2010, 04:25 PM
I noticed that none of you guys have Collision? Is that the general rule for motorcycles?

My rule is that if I'm stupid enough to dump my bike, then my self-imposed punishment is to pay to repair it myself. Besides, these things are so inexpensive that you're likely to get an insurance adjuster to come out and say "oh it fell over and you bent your shift lever?, it's totaled" or some bullshit like that.

Limits seem quite low; 15k/30k won't cover much of anything before it runs out and your own assets are on the line. Get a quote with 100k/300k or 250k/500k; it may turn out to be less than you think.

This was my thinking when I got my coverage, which is 15/30k: How much damage can I *REALLY* do with my 300 pound motorcycle against a 4000 pound cager? Unless you're riding around with armed missles on your bike, I don't see how you could possibly do that kind of damage to someone. No brainer for me. Insurance companies are rich enough, I'm not gonna help them get richer. I carry the minimum insurance required by the People's Republic of California, plus comprehensive in case it is stolen.

I have private health insurance, I'm not paying for more from my insurance company.

My coverage through Progressive:
BIL/PDL $15&30k/10k

Comprehensive w/ $100 deductible
$3,000 Accesory coverage (included)

Sub total: $293
MSF discount -50$

Total for 1 year $243. I have had my M1 endorsement for less than one year. I am 27 years old, but got my policy when I was 26 (been driving since I was 16) with a perfect driving record.

ASecretNinja
January 15th, 2010, 04:35 PM
What do you guys pay for Motorcycle insurance on your Ninjas?

Me--

Geico = $115 for the year
Coverages Limits / Deductibles 2008
KAWASAKi EX250-J NI

Bodily Injury Liability $15,000/$30,000 Non Deductible= $23.00

Property Damage Liability $10,000 Non Deductible= $10.00

Uninsured Motorist & Underinsured Motorist= $15,000/$30,000 Non Deductible $42.00

Comprehensive $250 Ded.= $25.00

Uninsured Motorist Property Damage $3,500 Non Deductible = $15.00

Trying to figure out if this is too much insurance, not enough or just right....

Any thoughts??

My thoughts are that rate is f'ing amazing. But I'd drop all that uninsured motorist bullshit. They really expect us to pay for someone who doesn't get insurance? Forget that. Take their ass to court.

Alex
January 15th, 2010, 04:53 PM
This was my thinking when I got my coverage, which is 15/30k: How much damage can I *REALLY* do with my 300 pound motorcycle against a 4000 pound cager? Unless you're riding around with armed missles on your bike, I don't see how you could possibly do that kind of damage to someone. No brainer for me.

3 points -

1. It's not what damage you think you can do to a 4000 pound hunk of steel. If you graze it and the driver steers it right into a solid object, another car, a falling asteroid, etc, and you are found partially at fault, bad things start happening quickly. If you accidentally hit a pedestrian and cause injury, suddenly a few hundred pounds of plastic and metal seem more significant. You don't have to steer into them either, what if you put it on the ground for other reasons and it slides into either a car (which causes an accident) or an individual? All of these are conceivable ways that lawyers from the other party will come after you and your motorcycle insurance with everything they have.

2. If you don't have any assets to protect, then spending large dollars on insurance with higher limits than you need can be wasteful. If you get hit with a judgement for 100k and your net worth is a heck of alot less than that, odds are one would be forced to file for bankruptcy anyway to dismiss much of that debt.

3. But if you have any assets (i.e. net worth that would be a real pain in the ass to build back up again), carrying appropriate insurance coverage to help protect those assets makes a whole bunch of sense. And the good news is that upping the coverage limits to many multiples of the minimum, has much less effect on premiums than one might think. It's worth asking the agent the followup question about how much the premiums are for different coverage limits over and above the minimum.

But I'd drop all that uninsured motorist bullshit. They really expect us to pay for someone who doesn't get insurance? Forget that. Take their ass to court.

It's not about covering them at all, it's about covering yourself. In California all of that UM/UIM is for the medical side to cover yourself in case the other party doesn't have any, or enough, insurance to compensate you for your injuries. If you happen to get pegged by someone without insurance, what is the likelihood that suing them will return any benefit at all? That said, if someone already has top-notch health insurance on their own that they are confident would handle their needs no matter what happens, then perhaps paying for UM/UIM isn't buying you much. If you don't live in CA, check into your own state's insurance laws. UM/UIM is handled differently by state, and can in fact be applicable to more than medical needs elsewhere.

EDIT: It looks like Geico is giving the OP a separate quote for UM/UIM for the bike itself. AFAIK that's rare in CA. Whether it makes sense or not is debatable. $15 isn't much, but perhaps that's $15 that's just not necessary to spend.

Betlog
January 15th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Good feedback Alex. What are your thoughts on Collision coverage?

3 points -

1. It's not what damage you think you can do to a 4000 pound hunk of steel. If you graze it and the driver steers it right into a solid object, another car, a falling asteroid, etc, and you are found partially at fault, bad things start happening quickly. If you accidentally hit a pedestrian and cause injury, suddenly a few hundred pounds of plastic and metal seem more significant. You don't have to steer into them either, what if you put it on the ground for other reasons and it slides into either a car (which causes an accident) or an individual? All of these are conceivable ways that lawyers from the other party will come after you and your motorcycle insurance with everything they have.

2. If you don't have any assets to protect, then spending large dollars on insurance with higher limits than you need can be wasteful. If you get hit with a judgement for 100k and your net worth is a heck of alot less than that, odds are one would be forced to file for bankruptcy anyway to dismiss much of that debt.

3. But if you have any assets (i.e. net worth that would be a real pain in the ass to build back up again), carrying appropriate insurance coverage to help protect those assets makes a whole bunch of sense. And the good news is that upping the coverage limits to many multiples of the minimum, has much less effect on premiums than one might think. It's worth asking the agent the followup question about how much the premiums are for different coverage limits over and above the minimum.

It's not about covering them at all, it's about covering yourself. In California all of that UM/UIM is for the medical side to cover yourself in case the other party doesn't have any, or enough, insurance to compensate you for your injuries. If you happen to get pegged by someone without insurance, what is the likelihood that suing them will return any benefit at all? That said, if someone already has top-notch health insurance on their own that they are confident would handle their needs no matter what happens, then perhaps paying for UM/UIM isn't buying you much. If you don't live in CA, check into your own state's insurance laws. UM/UIM is handled differently by state, and can in fact be applicable to more than medical needs elsewhere.

EDIT: It looks like Geico is giving the OP a separate quote for UM/UIM for the bike itself. AFAIK that's rare in CA. Whether it makes sense or not is debatable. $15 isn't much, but perhaps that's $15 that's just not necessary to spend.

Alex
January 15th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Good feedback Alex. What are your thoughts on Collision coverage?

Depends on the value of the bike. At some point it doesn't become cost effective to carry collision, but whether that point is when the bike's worth < $1K, < $2K, or < $3K is really up to the owner to decide. Liability is where having poor or no insurance can really screw up somebody's financial life. Not having collision means you're just on the hook to pay for your own repairs, or worst case will be out the value of the bike.

adri99an
January 15th, 2010, 10:04 PM
:thumbup:My thoughts are that rate is f'ing amazing. But I'd drop all that uninsured motorist bullshit. They really expect us to pay for someone who doesn't get insurance? Forget that. Take their ass to court.

Forgot to add my age---38 yrs old.
No tickets--if I did have any-- I went to traffic school
No accidents of any sort
M1 for 10 years
Took a motorcycle safety course back in '98

Been reading all the post--good stuff guys!
I might beef up some parts of my insurance but 115 a year is great since I only ride in the canyon and rarely do any street riding or ride to work......

Keep posting!! :thumbup:

ninjabrewer
January 16th, 2010, 12:43 PM
43, not sure what the numbers are SWMBO handles all of that. But when I changed my ins from Hawaii to Calif, my rates went down about $25/month. I am with Geico, for now, that may change in the future.

nb

jonthechron
February 2nd, 2010, 04:33 PM
Me-- 24Y Male, Student, Driving School, No Anti-Theft Device yet (10% off when I do)
-Liability only, $2 mil.
Belair Direct = $111 for the year

-Full Coverage, $2 mil.
Belair Direct = $499 for the year

Includes Theft and Vandalism

Coverages Limits / Deductibles 2010
KAWASAKI EX250-J9

Bodily Injury Liability: Covered in the Vehicle Registration Fees

Property Damage Liability: $2 mil

Deductible $250

Comprehensive $100 Ded.= $25.00

ASecretNinja
February 18th, 2010, 04:57 PM
So I just sold my 250, after giving me 4300 of the most entertaining miles of my life. Used sportbikes are so damn cheap right now that I had to sell the ninjette and move up. Best part is I sold it for the price I bought it. God bless the pre-gens. And be jealous, you new-gen owners :biggrin1:

Back on topic: I'm researching insurance for the bike I have in mind, and my current company (Progressive) quote me 900 for the year for an '06 zx-6r; i currently pay 210 a year for my 250. I was a little irked at that, so I went to geico, and with the EXACT same coverages for everything, same deductibles same everything, they quoted me 410 dollars for the YEAR. My question is for anyone else that has moved up to a 600 or done any other similar vehicle swapping on their policy. To progressive's credit, they're supposedly giving me a "discounted" rate because I already have a policy with them, but that only brings the price down to over 700 for the year. I am 27 years old, have had my car license for 11 years, moto license for two, and have a perfect driving record. What are you guys with sportbikes paying for insurance? And what kind of coverage do you have? (btw I carry very minimal coverage. I have very good health insurance already, so im not going to blow more money on health coverage. I carry the minimum required by my state, plus comprehensive).

Zim
February 18th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Progressive and Geico are AWFUL for motorcycle insurance.

Call State Farm. I was blown away at how much they saved me. I'll PM you my broker's name, he was great.

JeffM
February 18th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Try Markel. I pay $109 a year for my 250 (However I am 52 years old). Geico wanted $450+

Cedilla
February 18th, 2010, 07:23 PM
I pay just a tick under 1k a year for my 250r. Im 20 years old and I've had my moto licence for 6 years. That was when I had a clean driving record too, it probably will be higher when I renew it this summer.

Reswob
February 18th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Progressive and Geico are AWFUL for motorcycle insurance.

Call State Farm. I was blown away at how much they saved me. I'll PM you my broker's name, he was great.

When I got the Ninja, I called every insurance company I could think of, State Farm and Geico were the highest, Progressive was the cheapest by at least $100/yr. When I renewed the next year it even went down $50 since I'd had my license for 1 year. Currently paying $250.

kevlarorc
February 18th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Allstate was the cheapest for me. I dealt with one of the supervisors who doesn't make commission so she really helped me save some money.

laraider
February 18th, 2010, 10:10 PM
when i got my first bike 2 months ago,,,,geico was the cheapest for me.

lilninja
February 19th, 2010, 05:13 AM
I would call state farm. progressive tried to rip us off too. we have a 250 ninja and a 2003 zx6r ninja. I think we pay aroud 50 a month for both and we are both 26. hope this helps

ninjabadger
February 19th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Not to nit pick but to be honest, you're not going to be able to compare what you were quoted to others without also comparing what level of coverage people are getting, and what level of insurance you're comfortable with.

I'm paying $477 with Geico for 100/300 for liability, under and uninsured; 50k property damage, 10k medical, comp and collision with $500 deductibles. Of those, the medical and collision make up a little over half. I could half my insurance if I wanted to cut out some of my coverage. Also be mindful of any mandated state minimums that might affect what you or others can or cannot get. For example, in Wisconsin we're now required to have 100/300 for liability, under and uninsured motorists. I also think there's a requirement for medical payments as well.

sherjay
June 16th, 2010, 12:23 PM
can anyone tell me how much their paying for insurance. full coverage or liability. yearly/monthly.

cifex
June 16th, 2010, 12:38 PM
$49.84/ month liability +fire/theft

SpYd3r05
June 16th, 2010, 12:51 PM
$28 a month for "full" coverage...

backinthesaddleagain
June 16th, 2010, 12:52 PM
get as many quotes as possible - on 250 i had progressive who was slightly cheaper than geico. on 600 geico was highest, then progressive, then allstate, then independent agent got me good rate. it pays to shop.

250r with 25/50 full coverage,$1000 deductible, no passenger, 45 years old, no violations was $283 per year (progressive). same coverage on 600 was $990. ended up in the $500 range with 100/300 coverage after calling around.

tjkamper
June 16th, 2010, 12:56 PM
$27 a month, Comprehensive, collision, 25/65/15, $3000 accessory coverage, $500 deductable.

Progressive.

kkim
June 16th, 2010, 01:20 PM
get as many quotes as possible

yup... keep shopping.

want1sobad
June 16th, 2010, 01:36 PM
$88/yr - state minimum coverage - progressive

sherjay
June 16th, 2010, 03:42 PM
thank you guys so much! really appreciate your time. im still shopping around. right now my cheapest is 500/yr full coverage with 250 deductible on comprehensive and collision, liability and uninsured motorist is 25000/50000, 0 medical as statefarm does not offer this (i have HMO, but i dont know if thats good or bad) and 25,000 property damage. Thanks again and keep them coming.

vietboiz12345
June 17th, 2010, 01:01 AM
43/ a month $433 a year liability and comprehensive 15/30.
it should go down a bit after i take the motorcycle class

dubojr1
June 17th, 2010, 06:14 AM
$88/yr - state minimum coverage - progressive

$88 a year..... Come on, that can't be right??? :p

I thought I had the best rate possible. $207 a year for full coverage with 25/50 and $500 deductible. :D

tabogon
June 17th, 2010, 06:34 AM
$13.50/month. Minimum full coverage (due to loan requirements) State Farm.

Apex
June 17th, 2010, 06:53 AM
20/mo for almost full coverage. I'm going to be dropping to liability soon if the 250 doesn't leave my ownership.

I was quoted for $270/year for a new ZX10 full coverage.

dubojr1
June 17th, 2010, 07:00 AM
I was quoted for $270/year for a new ZX10 full coverage.

Wow.... My 1000RR is $48 a month. I guess rates can vary widely per state, area, driving record, etc....

Apex
June 17th, 2010, 07:03 AM
That is what I said. I was totally shocked at it. LOL

I double checked to make sure I didn't accidentally select the Z1000, and I didn't. People kept telling me that I'd be very surprised at how MUCH I'd be paying for full coverage on a SS, but I got that quote and my jaw hit the floor at how little ($22/mo) it was going to cost. :lol:

Hadyn
June 17th, 2010, 07:25 AM
I'm a 21-year-old male with 2 speeding tickets on my record, and I'm paying $48/month to Progressive (through USAA.) I guess that's not bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

want1sobad
June 17th, 2010, 07:26 AM
$88 a year..... Come on, that can't be right??? :p

I thought I had the best rate possible. $207 a year for full coverage with 25/50 and $500 deductible. :D

true story, just liability and bodily injury - 10/20/10 - $88/yr...........;)

vietboiz12345
June 17th, 2010, 10:51 AM
i think bike insurance drops fast. and its higher for some ppl because of the lack of experience but after time passes, ours should drop to almost nothing too :D

KJohnson21
June 17th, 2010, 12:17 PM
sherjay - you're in California, check out Mike Felder Insurance (http://www.7cycles.com/). All they do is motorcycles and they represent a number of different companies, so they can figure out what's the best deal for your situation.

I've been using this insurance agent for years and the few times that my rate has changed they contacted us and suggested getting new quotes. It happened again this year and we ended up changing from Progressive company "A" to Progressive company "B" to avoid a $200 rate hike on the policy for our four bikes. I don't remember the exact names of "A" and "B", something like "... National" and "... West". The weird thing? Progressive company "A" and Progressive company "B" use the same P.O. Box!! (No! It's not a big shell game! :rolleyes:)

Anyway, I have spoken with Mike Felder a few times over the years. He's a cool guy that rides on a regular basis. I've never met him or staff personally since they're 400 miles from me, but I've always gotten prompt service from them.

headshrink
June 17th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I'm a 21-year-old male with 2 speeding tickets on my record, and I'm paying $48/month to Progressive (through USAA.) I guess that's not bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

I also have Progressive through USAA, but I wonder if there really is a "through USAA" discount, because as far as I can tell, they just transfered/fwd my call to progressive. When new in 98, I was paying $8X/mo. for full coverage (forget amounts), $500 deductible. Perfect record, but in CA. Year two I was rewarded with a $30/mo. reduction, and year 3 I was recently notified of an another $20/mo reduction for keeping my nose clean and alive. That is a $50/mo. reduction after two full years of riding!!! :D

Unfortunately, 2 weeks ago I was also awarded with a speeding ticket (first in a decade), but hopefully traffic school will keep that hidden from insurance. He actually said he clocked (paced me) faster than I believe I was going..... so much for trusting in that MC speedo variance.

Sorry to 7500 the OT, but I want to encourage everyone to be ESPECIALLY careful right now about tickets, because there is a significant increase of ticketing going on right now with all the budgets getting slashed. Literally almost everyone I know who never gets tickets are getting them now, and I see those cops EVERYWHERE, and CONSTANTLY now!

cb61
June 17th, 2010, 02:00 PM
2009 Yamaha R1 full coverage w/$500 deductible for comp/collision in Twin Cities metro, MN for $237/year for 49 y/o male rider!!
2009 Kawi 250R full coverage w/$500 deductible for comp/collision in Twin Cities metro, MN for $72/year for 39 y/o female rider!!
Both policies with State farm in addition to homeowners and two cars.

Dano
June 17th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I pay $178/yr full coverage I think $250 deductible in PA