View Full Version : Cupholders on a bike?

Grn99Kawi
August 4th, 2009, 04:32 PM
OK.. when I take the bike to work I wear a backpack that has a mesh pocket to fit a nice 'semi sealable' coffee mug... I stop at Dunkin Donuts a few blocks from work and pop it in there...

Now when we were in Florida I saw a few cruiser bikes with cupholders on them holding the same type of coffee mug thing... bug after some research it seems like it is designed to clamp onto the handlebar.. and my 99 doesnt seem to have too much exposed bar from the clipon..

Is anyone using any kind of cup holder on their ninjettes? I dont need anything crazy, and I don't want anything that will make the bike look weird.. but it would be nice to fill it up at Dunkin Ds and then pop it in a holder.. leave the backpack at home when I dont need it.

Adam

CC Cowboy
August 4th, 2009, 04:59 PM
That brings up a funny story. I went on a bike trip, with a buddy of mine, from Boston to New Orleans. I was breaking in a Yamaha 750 for that year of racing. On the way back, while still in Louisianna, I ran up on a guy on a new FJ1200 (or was it an 1100). The guy was cruising down the road with a beer stuck in the bottom of his tank bag. He had the zipper opened enough to hold a koozie with a cold beer in it.

I'm going to stop the story now.

revstriker
August 4th, 2009, 05:06 PM
This guys got an interesting cup holder on a 250:

-kKKJBjkkbU

tjkamper
August 4th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Most non dealer, parts and accesory shops will have them. They clip onto the handle bars. I personally don't think it would be a great idea on the ninjette because of space and bar clearance. I have seen them on touring bikes. you know those guys how use 3/4 helmets with the microphones and always go in groups of two on really long rides cross country. In that case I think it might be a good idea. I don't think it would be wise on a cramped sport bike.

Nny
August 4th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Had a cup holder on my Goldwing. The previous owner had installed in on there and I never bothered to take it off.

I used to do the same thing you are doing. What I did different was I had a thermous that I would dump the coffee into, throw it in my bag or saddlebag and be on my way. I made a consious effort to make sure it would stand up (for a while at least) wherever I put it but wasn't worried if it tipped.

Thermous and a cargo net maybe? Just a thought...

Grn99Kawi
August 4th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I have also tried the thermos on the bungee idea.. put it in a plastic bag.. might do that again and leave a cup at work.. who knows.. I like that cupholder in the vid.. interesting idea... I guess it is magnetic? who knows..

Alex
August 4th, 2009, 11:28 PM
The motorcycle club I ride with got me an insulated cup holder that mounts on a RAM ball, just like a GPS or anything else. It was a gag gift as they felt that the cupholder might be the only gadget/farkle not already mounted on my BMW. I feel guilty that I haven't actually used it yet, and it's just sitting in the garage. Someday. :)

Snake
August 5th, 2009, 10:48 AM
How do you guys like that crazy dance he did?

minuslars
August 5th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Camelbak... or I'll put a bottle of whatever I want in my camelbak. I also thought about the cupholder idea so I could grab a cup of coffee or something on the road, but I honestly don't know how I feel about risking hot coffee dripping / spilling everywhere and getting all sticky in the event of rough pavement, train tracks, speed bumps, or a sudden stop or something.

minuslars
August 5th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Additionally Ram sells mounts that can mount onto the top of the brake fluid reservoir.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cali619
August 6th, 2009, 12:55 PM
you can invent a "fanny pack" kinda thingamajig and have more than one coffee mug or cup in easy reach at the hip!!

Cedilla
August 6th, 2009, 07:58 PM
A guy I work with has a cupholder on his vulcan, it seems so damn useful.

The more I commute daily on my ninjette, the more I could see myself buying a touring bike with hard luggage and cupholders. It seems so much more practical as a car replacement than the Ninja.

addy126
August 6th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Here's one that I've found that may be interesting and one that I'm thinkin on purchasing! Certainly would fit the bill... http://www.cbxmanmotorcycles.com/Motorcycle-Magnetic-Cup-Holder.aspx

Purchased it.... will be here next Wednesday ..... will provide update and pic as to how it sits on the N-250 "09

revstriker
August 8th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Wouldn't it be kind of hard to drink with a full face helmet though?

Grn99Kawi
August 8th, 2009, 10:10 AM
I'm not looking to drink on the bike.. just transport coffee I pick up on the way to work,

addy126
August 8th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Wouldn't it be kind of hard to drink with a full face helmet though?

I do it all the time... long straw up under the chin curtain and into mouth... works like a charm:cool: