View Full Version : Rear Shock compatibility between pregen, 08+ 250 and Ex300 ?

RickM
March 4th, 2016, 07:34 PM
I have a Fox rear shock removed off my old 1999 ninja 250 track bike. I was going to sell it. But when I noticed peeple are swapping the new gen and N300 shocks into the old bikes, it got me wondering if I can use my fox shock on a 300? I can get it revalved/resprung if necessary for $200 ish. So I am wondering as long as the shock length is close and the clevis and eye are same size it should work.

Anyone here used an aftermarket shock originally made fore the pregen on the 300 or 08+ 250??

I am planning to get a 08+250/ N300/ R3 depending on what kind of deal I find later this season or early next season. So if can use this shock for the 300/new 250 I'd rather hold on to it till I decide on yam or Ninja 250/300 instead of selling it for peanuts now.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance

RacinNinja
March 4th, 2016, 07:37 PM
Pre gen shocks make about 1.5" difference, IIRC. In other words, if you put it in a 300 it will lower the rear by 1.5". I suppose you could get different links to raise the back end up but I'm not sure what that would do for the travel.

RickM
March 4th, 2016, 07:43 PM
Pre gen shocks make about 1.5" difference, IIRC. In other words, if you put it in a 300 it will lower the rear by 1.5". I suppose you could get different links to raise the back end up but I'm not sure what that would do for the travel.

Thanks for the response. I assume it's 1.5" at the wheel and hopefully not 1.5" diffrence in shock length.

The shock is ride height adjustable. So wondering if there is enough adjust-ability there to compensate. I will look into that. I guess my 1st step should be finding out the stock shock length for the 300. I'll do a search

RacinNinja
March 4th, 2016, 07:48 PM
Yes, it's 1"+ at the wheel, not the shock.